Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

$100 to spend on facial device?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lorraineg57
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I know it's not much but I'm wondering if there's anything worthwhile. I'm 55 and leaning toward something that will help with texture and firming, LED or dermabrasion?

Sorry if this double posted.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:
I know it's not much but I'm wondering if there's anything worthwhile. I'm 55 and leaning toward something that will help with texture and firming, LED or dermabrasion?

I have the PMD and the LightStim and I would have a very hard time making that choice! Smile

On shop NBC the PMD is in your 100$ price range, and LED I am thinking is going to be more unless you find a deal on ebay?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:55 am      Reply with quote
What gadgets do you already have, if anything? Do you have any dermarollers? Dermabrasion doesn't do anything you can't achieve with light acid peels AFAIK - certain acids also stimulate collagen production and/ or ceramide production so they work double duty and can be diluted yourself for cheap.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I highly doubt you'll find a quality LED for $100. And even if you did, it's an ongoing committment of your time, to reach and attain your skin goals. (The aging process never stops as long as we are still breathing, so to keep it at bay, you need to be committed to an overall beneficial skin care regime. (IMHO!)

Have a look at the "Small Face Vaculifter" from NCN.. It's $78. and works wonderfully for subtle firming and also skin texture improvements...

http://ncnskincare.com/rejuvenating-tools-c-7/vaculifter-face-small-p-95

Getting oxygen rich blood to the skins surface regularly, will yield lovely and noticable improvements fairly quickly. (Be realistic in your goals, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.)

There's a thread on the subject, but I'll be darned if I could find it .. Embarassed

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I highly doubt you'll find a quality LED for $100. And even if you did, it's an ongoing committment of your time, to reach and attain your skin goals. (The aging process never stops as long as we are still breathing, so to keep it at bay, you need to be committed to an overall beneficial skin care regime. (IMHO!)

Have a look at the "Small Face Vaculifter" from NCN.. It's $78. and works wonderfully for subtle firming and also skin texture improvements...

http://ncnskincare.com/rejuvenating-tools-c-7/vaculifter-face-small-p-95

Getting oxygen rich blood to the skins surface regularly, will yield lovely and noticable improvements fairly quickly. (Be realistic in your goals, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.)

There's a thread on the subject, but I'll be darned if I could find it .. Embarassed

Another lemming for me Kassy! Laughing

Is this the thread?

Vaculifter - what are your comments?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30322

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Yes! That's the one DM, thanks for finding it.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Yes! That's the one DM, thanks for finding it.

You are welcome! Very Happy Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the prompt replies! I looked at the vaculift and for a second couldn't think of what it reminded me of. Then it hit me...the Reynolds handi-vac that I used to have to suction the air out of freezer bags!

I'll be researching this little device more....I like the idea that it can be used on the neck with no thyroid issues as my neck can use some help. thanks!
Lorraineg57
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I currently have no gadgets btw....
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
What gadgets do you already have, if anything? Do you have any dermarollers? Dermabrasion doesn't do anything you can't achieve with light acid peels AFAIK - certain acids also stimulate collagen production and/ or ceramide production so they work double duty and can be diluted yourself for cheap.

I have used many different kind of acids peels, including, glycolic, lactic, salicylic and even TCA peels. I shed skin like crazy for days with TCA peels , however PMD is different and is a very good buy.... I prefer PMD to any acids, however I would be using both, but not at the same time, unlike some gutsy ladies on here!!!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Hi Lorraineg57 I would say if you want to improve texture, go for PMD, and if you want firming go for a vaculifter... these are 2 very nice lil gadgets are for around n under $100... PMD can also increase firmness and vaculifter can also improve texture but I would think primarily PMD would improve texture and VL would improve firmness... I have both of these and like em lots!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Hi Lorraineg57 I would say if you want to improve texture, go for PMD, and if you want firming go for a vaculifter... these are 2 very nice lil gadgets are for around n under $100... PMD can also increase firmness and vaculifter can also improve texture but I would think primarily PMD would improve texture and VL would improve firmness... I have both of these and like em lots!

Great advice daler, I love the PMD and even though I am not dealing with a lack of firmness (yet) I am seriously wanting the vaculifter! I want to keep that firm skin firm!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Great advice daler, I love the PMD and even though I am not dealing with a lack of firmness (yet) I am seriously wanting the vaculifter! I want to keep that firm skin firm!

DarkMoon, I m sure you wont regret a VL purchase.. it's like anything else, you can really pull your skin with it which should result in firmer skin unless it's over done...
Lorraineg57
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for more input! Where do you gals think the dermaroller would fall as far as improved texture/firmness?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

DarkMoon, I m sure you wont regret a VL purchase.. it's like anything else, you can really pull your skin with it which should result in firmer skin unless it's over done...

LOL I am sure it will end up in my collection soon daler! It just sounds too good to pass on!!!! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hands down, I would purchase a dermaroller before anything else. The clinical results speak for themselves.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Hands down, I would purchase a dermaroller before anything else. The clinical results speak for themselves.

I haven't used mine yet but after all the reading I will be doing mine soon, I have 3 sizes now! Laughing .2mm .5mm and 1mm.......Baby Steps! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:
Thanks for more input! Where do you gals think the dermaroller would fall as far as improved texture/firmness?

Dermarolling can be used to improve many of the signs of ageing. At 55 IMO you want something that works at a deeper level than microdermabrasion.
http://www.acaciadermacare.com/upload/docs/PCI%20-%20Plastic%20Surgery%20Journal%20-%20April%202008.pdf
http://www.dermogenesis.com/roll-cit/Clinics_of_N_Am_2005.pdf

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Lorraineg57
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Dermarolling can be used to improve many of the signs of ageing. At 55 IMO you want something that works at a deeper level than microdermabrasion.
http://www.acaciadermacare.com/upload/docs/PCI%20-%20Plastic%20Surgery%20Journal%20-%20April%202008.pdf

The dermaroller kind of scares me. Not the smaller needle ones that can be used more frequently but the 1.5mm that can only be used once a month. 55 is a good price but for the ones that can be used frequently...if I have to replace it monthly, that's going to be an issue.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:
Firefox7275 wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

The dermaroller kind of scares me. Not the smaller needle ones that can be used more frequently but the 1.5mm that can only be used once a month. 55 is a good price but for the ones that can be used frequently...if I have to replace it monthly, that's going to be an issue.

I am getting ready to start rolling and I will not go over the 1mm. and that no way more often than once every 4-6 weeks, probably the 6 weeks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Many of us started out with an 0.5mm and progressed - that REALLY helped me with the fear factor. I don't think I'd ever have gotten started if I'd bought one with longer needles first! Laughing Some of us moved onto 1mm others onto 1.5mm, personal choice depending on your skin and how deep you feel the damage you want to address is. The funny thing is I now roll my whole forehead without any topical anaesthetic, and it really is not that bad because the needles are so fine (max 0.25mm, point is even finer) and the process is so quick.

A roller should last many, many months of weekly or monthly use - depending on your regimen - providing you purchase a decent quality one and take good care of it (soften skin first, careful cleansing and sterilising). OwnDoc sell decent rollers for just $29 plus modest postage and have excellent after sales service, so is a favourite with EDSers. Also great *free* guidance
http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermaroller-review/
http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf
Obviously up to you but with your goals and budget, IMO a couple of dermarollers cannot be beaten. Very Happy As Bethany says, the clinical results are convincing - she has reposted more reading matter on the last page of the main dermaroller thread if you want to be bamboozled!

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:

There is no need to go go longer than 1mm unless you are trying to break up acne scarring. I would recommend spending your $100 on a .5mm roller and some numbing cream, as well as ensure that you are using Vit A and C regularly. Then you can move to a 1mm down the road if you want.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Many of us started out with an 0.5mm and progressed - that REALLY helped me with the fear factor. I don't think I'd ever have gotten started if I'd bought one with longer needles first! Laughing Some of us moved onto 1mm others onto 1.5mm, personal choice depending on your skin and how deep you feel the damage you want to address is. The funny thing is I now roll my whole forehead without any topical anaesthetic, and it really is not that bad because the needles are so fine (max 0.25mm, point is even finer) and the process is so quick.

A roller should last many, many months of weekly or monthly use - depending on your regimen - providing you purchase a decent quality one and take good care of it (soften skin first, careful cleansing and sterilising). OwnDoc sell decent rollers for just $29 plus modest postage and have excellent after sales service, so is a favourite with EDSers. Also great *free* guidance
http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermaroller-review/
http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf
Obviously up to you but with your goals and budget, IMO a couple of dermarollers cannot be beaten. Very Happy As Bethany says, the clinical results are convincing - she has reposted more reading matter on the last page of the main dermaroller thread if you want to be bamboozled!

Has it made a difference in your skin personally as far as firmness and lines? I'm leary of before and after pics posted on sites that sell items. I have some serious 11's and forehead lines I'd love to get rid of. I'm tired of wearing bangs....

I'm also thinking about drybrushing. Way too many options as far as ways to spend money. I was looking at the pmd also....but I'm really thinking that firming things up will go a long way to improving my texture issues....
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Dermarolling eliminated the crows feet around my eyes, but I had limited results on forehead wrinkles and the 11's.

However, I have started using Frownies again (I will be using the packing tape alternatives posted when I finish these up) and am seeing some improvement since my 11's are due to me sleeping on my side. I am hoping that the combo of tape at night and rebuilding the collagen with the roller will help they go away this time.

Regarding these recommendations...rolling is NOT for everyone. Frankly I find it horribly painful, and dread doing it so much that I stopped for 3 years! Shock So you need to pick what YOU feel is best for you, no matter what clinical studies say or people recommend. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Lorraineg57 wrote:

Has it made a difference in your skin personally as far as firmness and lines? I'm leary of before and after pics posted on sites that sell items. I have some serious 11's and forehead lines I'd love to get rid of. I'm tired of wearing bangs....

I'm also thinking about drybrushing. Way too many options as far as ways to spend money. I was looking at the pmd also....but I'm really thinking that firming things up will go a long way to improving my texture issues....

What are the issues you have with texture? Is it enlarged pores, roughness, orange peel or something else? Is dehydration an issue? Have you tried any acid peels? I don't necessarily mean hardcore burn-your-face-off peels, even just light exfoliation. Have you considered facial exercise?

I grew my fringe (bangs) out which concentrated my mind on this area! Laughing I don't have any firmness issues and am not rolling the full face, so it would not be fair of me to comment on that. My elevens are significantly improved and the hyperpigmentation/ melasma is breaking up, which is really encouraging IMO. Horizontal forehead lines no change yet but I haven't been focussing on them long enough (less than six months).

It's also relevant to say that, unlike many others, I have not consistently used any of the common proven anti-ageing actives over the time I have been dermarolling. This is mostly because I have sensitive/ eczematous skin so was focussing on barrier repair. Confused If you do use those your results should be maximised.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |