Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
How to Prevent/Reduce the Appearance of Veins on the Hands
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
The veins beneath the skin on my hands are starting to show. I wonder why it's happening so suddenly (nothing was visible a year ago), and what I can do.

Could it be that my hands are not getting enough circulation, that I need to exercise more, and/or that I'm exerting too much pressure on my hands? To prevent leg veins, women are often advised not to stand too long on their feet. Does the same principle apply with hands? My work usually requires me to be stationary. Could that also have something to do with it?

I do realize that, as I get older, the veins in my hands will become more prominent. However, there are always things that one can do to delay the aging process. What do you think might help?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure why, but when I drink green smoothies regularly my veins don't show at all. Wink When I forget to drink the smoothies and too get busy the veins pop back up. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Copper peptides help with this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings,

How do you suppose that copper peptides help this issue?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
CPs encourage new collagen, as well as assist in retaining fat under the skin. They have also been shown in studies to thicken the skin- I have experienced this part of them first hand. We get veins in our hands due to sun damage (yeah, you covered your face, but what about your hands??), loss of fat, and thinning of the skin due to age and hormonal changes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have and still do use all my facial products on my hands, I started because I had excess when I pumped things out and have just stuck with the practice! I don't have thinning skin or veins protruding on my hands! Smile

5% products discount

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Not sure why, but when I drink green smoothies regularly my veins don't show at all. Wink When I forget to drink the smoothies and too get busy the veins pop back up. Wink

I wonder what vitamins or minerals could be helping? I feel like I eat "right" but am not seeing all the benefits I should be seeing from my diet.

Anyone know how you can check if you're absorbing enough vitamins and minerals?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
papertiger wrote:
Toby wrote:

I wonder what vitamins or minerals could be helping? I feel like I eat "right" but am not seeing all the benefits I should be seeing from my diet.

Anyone know how you can check if you're absorbing enough vitamins and minerals?

Micronutrients are not more important than the macronutrients. With the green smoothies it's quite possible the water and/ or fibre content is playing a key role because these can benefit the lymphatic and circulatory systems, plus feed the beneficial bacteria in the gut (manufacture vitamin K and aid in absorption of other nutrients). Brightly coloured fruit and veggies are also packed with other phytonutrients: as important as greens are red, yellow, orange and blue/ purple.

You can have blood tests for vitamins and minerals but even that only gives you part of the story. What do you mean by you 'feel' like you eat right? Do you consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating? Do you eat from all the food groups and a broad range of different foods? How long have you been eating this way and what benefits are you not seeing? Excuse the questions, I work in lifestyle healthcare which includes nutrition consultations. Embarassed

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
papertiger
5% products discount

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
You can have blood tests for vitamins and minerals but even that only gives you part of the story. What do you mean by you 'feel' like you eat right? Do you consistently meet or exceed all your government's recommendations for healthy eating? Do you eat from all the food groups and a broad range of different foods? How long have you been eating this way and what benefits are you not seeing? Excuse the questions, I work in lifestyle healthcare which includes nutrition consultations. Embarassed

No, I'm glad someone's willing to ask! It's difficult to talk with doctors unless they know exactly what the problem is and what they can do to solve it. I'm hesitant to say I eat healthfully because everyone seems to have a different definition of what that is (paleo, vegan, raw, etc.). But it's good to talk to someone who's profession is nutrition.

I don't stick to any popular diet really. I don't exclude any food groups. A typical day is breakfast of fruits then veggie omelette (zucchini, eggs, herbs, mushrooms, ghee or olive oil) and some avocado, and a lunch of beans that have been soaked >8hrs and cooked for a long time (with garlic, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, ghee, etc.), brown rice that has soaked for >8hrs, sauteed greens in coconut oil (dandelion, turnip, collards, or other), other veggie (okra, cauliflower, etc), a snack is usually fruit like cantaloupe or whatever's in season or greek yogurt and honey, and for dinner fish (salmon, halibut) that's steamed or poached, green salad with olive oil based dressing and other raw veggies (carrot, cabbage, avocado, radish, etc), maybe another cooked veggie on the side

I also make my own kimchi, nut butters, and bone stocks. I'm trying to include fermented foods and other non dairy calcium sources, for variety. I used to keep track of what I ate on fitday and was fulfilling daily requirements (on average over every few days). I supplement vit d, cod liver oil, and sometimes iron and ZMA.

I've had a stressful childhood and I think that's had the biggest impact on my health. There is some lingering depression, sleep problems, lack of energy, brain fog, trouble thinking of words, short term memory problems, etc. All very small and minor problems but something I would like to fix. I also try to take care of other aspects of my health, therapy, meditation, yoga, jogging, trying to spend at least an hour each day outdoors, reduce toxins in beauty care products, making my own cleaning products, etc.

I feel like I've tried everything you're supposed to do, but because of mostly the lack of energy, brain fog, and sleep problems, I feel like there's still something that's not right. Sorry for the rambling Smile it's very therapeutic to just talk about this with someone

edit: oh, I forgot to add, I've been eating this way for maybe 1 or 2 years. It's been a slow process. I used to eat a lot of mostly plant based, almost vegetarian diet, but slowly took out sugars, a lot of breads, added more fish, started eating chicken livers too, just small changes.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Funnily enough I started out in lifestyle healthcare researching for my own insomnia, stress/ anxiety, depression and immune issues. Wink Key nutrients in these include the long chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA), various minerals including zinc and magnesium, the B group vitamins and carbohydrates. I will tell you straight out I have my clients eating low glycaemic index wholefoods, and a wide variety from all food groups unless there is an allergy, religious or moral conviction. The problem I see most often with the commercial or alternative diets is that they can be restrictive, especially in combination with personal taste.

In your sample day I see plenty of fruit and veggies which is fantastic. Very Happy Are you eating from all colour groups in a day - average two red, two yellow, two orange, two green, two blue/ purple? You look to be heavy on the green and white groups - certain of the greens particularly can bind minerals so they are poorly absorbed. Secondly I don't see a balance of all food groups: why so little dairy, wholegrains, nuts/ seeds and meat from land animals? There is evidence iron zinc and calcium are more bioavailable from animal than plant sources, and this ties in with your post on the other thread.

You look to be somewhat low on carbs generally, especially given you exercise regularly: this can affect your energy levels, your ability to exercise at higher intensities, and memory because the brain can only utilise glucose. I would like to see carbs with your breakfast and evening meal BUT switching out one of the two lunchtime carb sources (rice and beans) for nuts or seeds. That means more protein and more healthy fats.

Supplements ... cod liver oil is a good source of vitamins A and D, why the separate D? Why did you choose cod liver instead of fish body oil? Good to see magnesium in your supplements. Don't answer this if it is too personal but do you have a healthy digestion? Use the bathroom twice daily, no bloating or suchlike? Exercise: looks good but be sure to include some intense burst of activity for fitness and mood, running speed or hill intervals for example. Smile

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Keep your hands up whenever possible and use a sunscreen from now on for the skin on top of your hands.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ, why do you think that it would help to keep the hands up?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ava with wings, that was really informative. The skin on the backs of my hands (& feet!) seem THE thinnest and most fragile on my body, with so little cushioning under it. I can't imagine what havok an injury would do! And I'm sure veins would be a problem if not for my tan skin colour. I do apply excess product on my hands, but am stingy with the expensive cp's.

I think one of the most aging things that happens to hands is when the skin around the knuckles stretches and bunches up, and in my case, darkens a bit. There was a significant turning point at age 22 or so when my honestly, quite beautiful hands changed to just nice hands, lol.

I wonder if anyone has thoughts on what specific ingredients might benefit knuckles.. though I'm pretty sure its too late for me!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA, indeed--the skin on the hands is quite thin.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
SusieQ, why do you think that it would help to keep the hands up?
I heard this beauty tip from Joan Rivers several years ago and you know what....it really does work. When you keep your hands in an upward position, blood runs down and minimizes the look of your veins. Try it and see. Just prop your elbows on a table, hands gently clasped; in a few moments your veins will not be engorged with blood. Put them down, and in a few moments your veins will be huge.
Joyfulgirl360

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using copper peptides on my hands for a couple of months and haven't yet seen an improvement. I was using an exfoliator at night and the cps in morning, now just cps.

Ava with wings, how long did it take before you saw improvement?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Have you recently lost weight?

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 am      Reply with quote
CPs encourage new collagen, as well as assist in retaining fat under the skin.

I've not heard before that CPs assist in retaining fat under the skin.

Can you please provide any references for this information?

Thanks, BFG
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I haven't lost weight, BFG.

I once read about a woman who got injections into her hands in order to keep them looking youthful.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I was given a tube of Dermalogica's new Age Smart Primer/SPF and have been using it on my hands as I do not like the silicone feel on my face. It has a lot of ant aging ingredients and a hint of color. It makes my hands look better (until I wash them) and I am not throwing away the free product!

Maybe you can dig up something in your stash of unloved beauty products and use it on your hans.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
CPs encourage new collagen, as well as assist in retaining fat under the skin.

I've not heard before that CPs assist in retaining fat under the skin.

Can you please provide any references for this information?

Thanks, BFG

Dr Pickart has often said that the CPs help increase subcutaneous fat cells.
Quote:
In every study of injected SRCPs, we always saw a huge increase in subcutaneous fat cells. These were closely associated with enlarged hair follicles.

Probably more an observation of his than an actual study of sorts, but it's something to go by.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
This is taken from a skin biology page, scroll to the bottom. Dr. Pickart is one of the few vendors I trust because he's never steered me wrong, the good the bad and the ugly of his products. I feel they do what they say he does, but they aren't for everyone, as any product so they are controversial.

http://skinglow.ca/skin_biology.html

Right Diagram: Skin remodeling copper peptides help reverse many effects of aging. They help remove minor skin lesions, re-thicken your skin, collagen and elastin are rebuilt, the skin's blood supply is improved, and subcutaneous fat is increased. This produces a skin biology more like young skin again.

And they have a nice little picture for us. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

Dr Pickart has often said that the CPs help increase subcutaneous fat cells.

Quote:
In every study of injected SRCPs, we always saw a huge increase in subcutaneous fat cells. These were closely associated with enlarged hair follicles.

Anyone on this forum injecting CPs?

Ava with wings wrote:

And they have a nice little picture for us.

Seriously, are you impressed by a hand-drawn image?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
The veins beneath the skin on my hands are starting to show. I wonder why it's happening so suddenly (nothing was visible a year ago), and what I can do.

Could it be that my hands are not getting enough circulation, that I need to exercise more, and/or that I'm exerting too much pressure on my hands? To prevent leg veins, women are often advised not to stand too long on their feet. Does the same principle apply with hands? My work usually requires me to be stationary. Could that also have something to do with it?

I do realize that, as I get older, the veins in my hands will become more prominent. However, there are always things that one can do to delay the aging process. What do you think might help?

Doesn't sound like it but... have you done any weightlifting?

How old are you?

Has anything changed with regard to the amount of hand washing you do? (my hands went through a major aging processes after the twins were born and I was washing my hands at and OCD level. MY skin was a disaster for quite some time!)

What kind of sun exposure do you get? Just consider all your time outside, and driving.

Do you use any SPF on your hands? (hard to maintain with hand washing)

What do you do to challenge the tissue to generate collagen production?

Do you do anything with your hands to work the muscles? Stretches (as often learned if you're a pianst), flexing, movement through typing, grasping objects... etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy, I was kidding. The picture is pointless, we all know this. I merely found it ironic it was a visual aid for that kind of statement. Laughing

But I do believe it assists in retaining fat under the skin. I put it on my chest. Wink

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |