Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Facial Exercises - Under 35 with no problems?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TheresaCats
5% products discount

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I really got to ask here. I’ve done a resistance based program, and since having my disasters I’ve done a lot of research. Is there anyone who has done any facial exercise program using resistance who hasn’t got any issues and has had no problems? Say under 35 years?

I am pretty sure it has everything to do with using the resistance against the muscles. Don’t get me wrong, I think some of the results are impressive but the seem to be if the person is (i) older and (ii) suffering with issues like sagging etc.

I really regret doing what I have done to my face, and ignoring the results, but am also really annoyed that I didn’t research this more thoroughly when I did it as I truly believe had I done so I would have made a better and informed decision about the program I purchased.

Is there anyone under 35 who have done facial exercises (and please name system) who has had no problems at all – because I seem to find people have encountered major problems and often they’ve started out like me, wanting to prevent rather than cure things and ended up worse off!
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am      Reply with quote
You may want to give facial massage a try until you feel more comfortable doing facial exercises or until you feel you need them. I'm under 35 and that's what I'm doing.

I am doing Tanaka massage and also the Yamuna Save Your Face system. The Yamuna ball is a massage and it's supposed to tone and life the muscle as well as stimulate the bone (this is what it claims). It feels great and there is no making funny faces or making lines in your face while you're doing it.

I did Facericse for a little while, but now I'm just doing these 2 massages. Sometimes I think we have to go with what feels right to us, and making faces didn't really feel right to me; I was anxious I may be creating lines. There are other programs that are more vigorous with pulling and stretching the skin-I don't think I'd be comfortable with that at this time either. I'm not saying I won't do facial exercises in the future or that they are bad; it's just this is what feels right to me at this time.

I started looking into all of this as an act of prevention, probably like you, so I don't really have any "results", but I don't feel like I'm doing any damage.

HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
For what it's worth...

Deb published her 30 year anniversary book in 2010. She's 64 today. 62 in 2010. Minus 30 years = 32. With her program. Not to mention all the work she did before then starting around age 27.

Audrea and I both started in our teens. We worked our way through our twenties basically on the work out of 2nd edtion. So, all with resistance. Consistancy at that age would easily have been an issue. Easily finding other things to do. But we're already past our 20 year mark.

Audrea, being the scientist and the teacher in the family was actually WAY more consistant than I. She even used to teach our program to earn tuition in college (age 19-20+) So her practice would have even been more aggressive, teaching multiple classes.

And you can see how her face looks in motion at the age of 35 with over 15 years of resistance training under her belt.

http://youtu.be/ih3VpSOeJPc

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Your query is rather vague - what issues, disasters and problems are you referring to Theresacats?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
Your query is rather vague - what issues, disasters and problems are you referring to Theresacats?

I don't think her question is vague. I think she's simply asking anyone under 35 who has done resistance training on the face and not had any problems to raise his or her hand. Which is why Claudia raised hers, and cited her sister and her mom as other success stories.

In other words, she isn't looking for specific issues or a solution for her problem, in which case we'd need to know exactly what issues she is referring to. From her post I surmise that she just wanted to know (in general) if there are any people under 35 who have done face resistance training and not had any problems (regardless of what the problems are).
Nanella
5% products discount

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
You may want to give facial massage a try until you feel more comfortable doing facial exercises or until you feel you need them. I'm under 35 and that's what I'm doing.

I'm with Ryan on this. Your facial muscles are getting the equivalent of an aerobic workout everyday, just through regular usage. If they're in peak condition you don't need to concern yourself with strengthening slackening muscles that are causing drooping, or creating build where your skin has thinned and/or bone loss has occurred. Massage is an excellent way to increase circulation and keep the tissue healthy - it may even be the most effective preventative measure. Aside from sunscreen! Please don't forget the sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
For what it's worth...

Deb published her 30 year anniversary book in 2010. She's 64 today. 62 in 2010. Minus 30 years = 32. With her program. Not to mention all the work she did before then starting around age 27.

Audrea and I both started in our teens. We worked our way through our twenties basically on the work out of 2nd edtion. So, all with resistance. Consistancy at that age would easily have been an issue. Easily finding other things to do. But we're already past our 20 year mark.

Audrea, being the scientist and the teacher in the family was actually WAY more consistant than I. She even used to teach our program to earn tuition in college (age 19-20+) So her practice would have even been more aggressive, teaching multiple classes.

And you can see how her face looks in motion at the age of 35 with over 15 years of resistance training under her belt.

http://youtu.be/ih3VpSOeJPc

wow! is audrea 35 in this video? She looks like a 20 yr old! Also, Deb looks great, natural, toned face...
TheresaCats
5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:00 am      Reply with quote
RyanA thanks for the suggestion, but I’m even scarred of massage as Tanaka even seems to give some problems and my luck is that I would be one of those very people. I do think your right we have to do whats right for us, but I’m just really curious as to know if there is anyone out there under 35 who had no issues and did facial exercises and has been fine, as my research indicates all that seem to do it for maintenance end up worse off. I’d love to be proved wrong.

Thanks Claudia, it’s a shame that you both did start in your teens as I’d be curious as to how your faces may or may not have changed if you didn’t do anything. Also has your mum always done facial exercises (I think someone mentioned she had done them prior to making FlexEffect) so I wonder if somehow that was in herited by you and Audrea as there are a lot of scare stories out there about using FlexEffect that terrified me when I first started reading them. Does your mum have any sisters/brothers who are the same or similar ages that can be compared to her? Please don’t mistake my asking, as I think your mum does look good, but I also think if she has done it for such a long period of time, that must have had some sort of effect.

Firefox, I’ve written about my experience before, and I’ve only used one system but noticed that others of my age seem to experience similar issues also no matter what program they use, so my thinking is that maybe its not so much about the program but about what age you start and what you do.

Nanella that’s interesting, as I thought you had designed your own facial exercises because of problems you have. Do you really think the facial muscles get a workout with usage – as that seems to be going against what these facial exercise teachers all say, and you may be right here I don’t know. I feel my face was in a good place at the start and I was simply wanting to maintain that and then used resistance and things went beserk on me. I so want to get back to what I had before, but I doubt I will ever unless I have surgery.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I've now read your first ever post and am sorry to read of your experience. Are you concerned about the tear trough/ eye area issue or any issues at all, whether they are skin-related, muscle-related or technique-related?

One problem you might have sifting through the problems/ issues is that there may be a difference between how willing younger and older people are to really 'go for it'. This is only my perception from skincare forums but around the time we start seeing the first signs of ageing - permanent lines, subtle sagging - we may start being gentler when we handle our skin. From my work experiences (physical activity/ nutrition) oftentimes older people are more willing to ease themselves in to a programme of exercise and really listen to direction on technique.

HTH. Confused

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:44 am      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:
I’d love to be proved wrong.

What would you accept as proof?

Quote:
Thanks Claudia, it’s a shame that you both did start in your teens as I’d be curious as to how your faces may or may not have changed if you didn’t do anything.
LOL! A shame for you! I don't see it that way at all. Quite happy with my facial aging status!

Quote:
Also has your mum always done facial exercises (I think someone mentioned she had done them prior to making FlexEffect) so I wonder if somehow that was in herited by you and Audrea
Can you clarify this question? A person can't inherit the body work. It's not part of DNA. Deb has done facial exercises since the age 27. Had her own program nailed down through experimentation based on her knowledge of the body.

Quote:
as there are a lot of scare stories out there about using FlexEffect that terrified me when I first started reading them.
Yes, you're going to run into these. There are scare stories for everything out there. Body building has many. In fact if you believe some women you will become a man if you pick up a barbell.

Quote:
Does your mum have any sisters/brothers who are the same or similar ages that can be compared to her? Please don’t mistake my asking, as I think your mum does look good, but I also think if she has done it for such a long period of time, that must have had some sort of effect.

She has 4 siblings. Whose pictures will not be posted to evaluate. I'm sure you understand. They have not signed up for public scrutiny.

You'll have to trust that Deb has aged quite well within her genetic line up. She looks great when you line her up against women her own age. Good genes only take you so far really. It's how you care for you body once it's been issued. This is evident in many identical twin studies.

Quote:
Firefox, I’ve written about my experience before, and I’ve only used one system but noticed that others of my age seem to experience similar issues also no matter what program they use, so my thinking is that maybe its not so much about the program but about what age you start and what you do.

If there is a common thread, imagine it has more to do with the DNA and what they bring to the table. For your theory to be right, anyone that started under the age 35 should ALL have problems. Not so. CM on this board for example. Myself, My sister, Sean. I have a handful of clients, some on our general forum. Others quite private. Editing to add: I think the 4 of us even tend to be WAY more aggressive than we teach people to be. So we should be extra damaged by now, if your theory were accurate.

I've actually never seen your before and afters. I'd be curious to see if there is something I or Deb could see that the inexperienced eye can not.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:40 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
What would you accept as proof?

I’d love to hear from people my age who didn’t have problems to start with and just wanted to maintain and have been able to achieve just that. Looking at the forums, it seemed to me that there were often problems caused by some muscles overbuilding, and some not responding. From what I’ve read I haven’t read of anyone doing any system (and note not just the one you sell) that has had no issues whatsoever with facial exercises. Like I said I only got in to that with a view to maintaining what I had.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
LOL! A shame for you! I don't see it that way at all. Quite happy with my facial aging status!

Sorry probably not expressing myself right, but I’m just curious if say you or your sister did it and the other one didn’t how you would have aged in comparison. Its not a question I suppose we’ll ever be able to answer, but I liken it to having two identical twins and one doing exercise and the other not. There was something with some twins a little while ago in the daily mail that sparked my interest so was just merely thinking aloud. I do think both you and Audrea look great, but can’t help but think that its because your mum had started early and maybe without resistance exercises.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
Can you clarify this question? A person can't inherit the body work. It's not part of DNA. Deb has done facial exercises since the age 27. Had her own program nailed down through experimentation based on her knowledge of the body.

But I thought genes played a role in how we age. I mean I read something by Bruce Lifton a little while ago which said that genes played a huge part. I guess I was thinking that if your mum did the exercising and bodybuilding then her body must have been really healthy then as a result growing up you would no doubt have inherited those same genes.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yes, you're going to run into these. There are scare stories for everything out there. Body building has many. In fact if you believe some women you will become a man if you pick up a barbell.

Sure and like I said previously, I’ve found these in quite a few places and not just about FlexEffect but others so know there is something going on. Like I said I’ve not heard from anyone who hasn’t seemed to experience issues.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
She has 4 siblings. Whose pictures will not be posted to evaluate. I'm sure you understand. They have not signed up for public scrutiny.

You'll have to trust that Deb has aged quite well within her genetic line up. She looks great when you line her up against women her own age. Good genes only take you so far really. It's how you care for you body once it's been issued. This is evident in many identical twin studies.

Sure I understand that, but at least it would point us a picture of what could be achieved. I know genes take us so far, but if you are starting off with good ones, then that can lead you further than if you are starting off than with less than good ones.

ClaudiaFE wrote:
If there is a common thread, imagine it has more to do with the DNA and what they bring to the table. For your theory to be right, anyone that started under the age 35 should ALL have problems. Not so. CM on this board for example. Myself, My sister, Sean. I have a handful of clients, some on our general forum. Others quite private. Editing to add: I think the 4 of us even tend to be WAY more aggressive than we teach people to be. So we should be extra damaged by now, if your theory were accurate.

That’s exactly why I started this thread, to hear if there is anyone out here under 35 who hasn’t had problems. From what I’ve read with CM, and she’s been at this for quite a while, she still hasn’t achieved the look she wants yet even after all this time. Also she doesn’t follow the regime daily – she works on a bodybuilding timetable, which may also be the reason she hasn’t encountered any issues as yet. Likewise I thought you said you weren’t consistent growing up so I’m just really wanting to be proved wrong and happy to be if there is a person that exists that can do so!

ClaudiaFE wrote:
I've actually never seen your before and afters. I'd be curious to see if there is something I or Deb could see that the inexperienced eye can not.

I’m more than happy to email you photos. Where do I send them?
TheresaCats
5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Its the tear trough area that has become worse, its like the skin is so much thinner there and its caused what looks like hollows there which weren't there before. When I look at photos of me prior to exercising, my eye area was full, flat and looked good. Now I look like I've not had sufficient sleep and the lower lid area is kind of bulgy for want of a better word.

The people I spoke to were all qualified docs, and I sort 2nd and 3rd opinions to see if they were all telling me different stories and they were all the same!

I can understand your comment re wanting to go for it, but as I said to the program founder when I stared, I was just looking to really maintain and improve on what I had. And it feels like I've made things 100 times worse!
Firefox7275 wrote:
I've now read your first ever post and am sorry to read of your experience. Are you concerned about the tear trough/ eye area issue or any issues at all, whether they are skin-related, muscle-related or technique-related?

One problem you might have sifting through the problems/ issues is that there may be a difference between how willing younger and older people are to really 'go for it'. This is only my perception from skincare forums but around the time we start seeing the first signs of ageing - permanent lines, subtle sagging - we may start being gentler when we handle our skin. From my work experiences (physical activity/ nutrition) oftentimes older people are more willing to ease themselves in to a programme of exercise and really listen to direction on technique.

HTH. :?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 am      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:

The people I spoke to were all qualified docs, and I sort 2nd and 3rd opinions to see if they were all telling me different stories and they were all the same!

I can understand your comment re wanting to go for it, but as I said to the program founder when I stared, I was just looking to really maintain and improve on what I had. And it feels like I've made things 100 times worse!

Please re-read my post, I referred to the anecdotal evidence, I was not ascribing 'blame' in your specific case.
"One problem you might have sifting through the problems/ issues is that there may be a difference between how willing younger and older people are to really 'go for it'."

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Firefox I don't need to reread your post, I understood it perfectly well the first time, and didn't see you as blaming anyone, however I think that if someones faces changes for the negative, then you'll definitely find most people will do anything to return it back young or old!

Firefox7275 wrote:
TheresaCats wrote:

Please re-read my post, I referred to the anecdotal evidence, I was not ascribing 'blame' in your specific case.
"One problem you might have sifting through the problems/ issues is that there may be a difference between how willing younger and older people are to really 'go for it'."
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Firefox I don't need to reread your post, I understood it perfectly well the first time, and didn't see you as blaming anyone, however I think that if someones faces changes for the negative, then you'll definitely find most people will do anything to return it back young or old!

Pardon? Are you also Theresacats? Of course people will want to reverse any negative changes, I didn't suggest otherwise.

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Firefox, I know I can't speak for Theresa but am also a "Theresa" and know her personally outside of EDS and in reading your posts they do look like your digging at her, and I couldn't help myself.

Your comment that there may be a difference between how willing "younger" and "older" people and really 'going for it' is what I'm annoyed over, because I don't think it matters young or old. What Theresa was unfortunate in experiencing is something that Ive not experienced in my 10 years of facial exercises and not that I've not had problems, but she's convinced permanent damage has occured and I don't see how your comments on this thread asking for people under 35 doing facial exercises without problems to post is helping anyone!

Firefox7275 wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

Pardon? Are you also Theresacats? Of course people will want to reverse any negative changes, I didn't suggest otherwise.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 am      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:

I’d love to hear from people my age who didn’t have problems to start with and just wanted to maintain and have been able to achieve just that.

Ok, I think I get what you're saying. Well, Neither Audrea or I had problems to start with. Not any set goal in mind. Just to keep the look of age at bay. Obviously we still age. I know I don't look 18 anymore!

Quote:
Looking at the forums, it seemed to me that there were often problems caused by some muscles overbuilding, and some not responding.
Ahhhh... Ok, this is normal head to toe. This is why I say one size does not fit all. The way your muscle responds is a bit unique to you. This is why we push so hard with the note taking and the photo taking. Just like a body builder does. You have to pay attention all the time. Overbuild, around the mouth, for example does not happen overnight. This is a person who responds quickly. But then doesn't pay attn. use judgement, and fails to keep things in check. I liken it to lip injections.

Also, it's perfectly normal that some body parts don't respond. You know the "guy" I refer to who can't build his calf muscles? That's him. Not the program. And he may never get to his desired result because he doesn't have the propensity in any way shape for form to get there. Doing Arnie's workout doesn't necessarily grant you the Arnie body.

Quote:
From what I’ve read I haven’t read of anyone doing any system (and note not just the one you sell) that has had no issues whatsoever with facial exercises. Like I said I only got in to that with a view to maintaining what I had.

I feel this is a matter of interpretation. Or we need more clarification. I know many people who just go right along and have no issues. Others that need help in how to tweak their program because they lack the expertise, but it's not a "problem". Maybe I'm a little confused by this.

Quote:
Sorry probably not expressing myself right, but I’m just curious if say you or your sister did it and the other one didn't how you would have aged in comparison. Its not a question I suppose we’ll ever be able to answer, but I liken it to having two identical twins and one doing exercise and the other not. There was something with some twins a little while ago in the daily mail that sparked my interest so was just merely thinking aloud.

Well, Audrea and I aren't identical twins...not even fraternal at that.

But I actually have fraternal twin boys. Who look as about as different as Audrea and I. It's actually insane to watch them develop totally different. They are offered the same foods and the same exercise, education, etc.

THE EXACT SAME. We're not talking older sibling who had a different diet than the younger sibling some 4 years later, 'cause mommy changed the way she cooked.

One of my kiddos has 15 lbs on the other, and he was the teeny tiny one weighing in at 3 lbs and 11 oz at birth compared to his 5 lb 5 oz brother.

And therefore, while it may feel like it, I don't think it would be an appropriate comparison between Audrea and I if one did FE and the other didn't. We share the same parents. But obviously just looking at us we have different dominant genes.

She's a blond with green eyes, and lily white skin. She burns badly, and freckles for it. She has dryer skin. Always has. She's also about 2 inches shorter than me. She is a bit thicker in muscle than I. She doesn't work her legs with a lot a weight at all when she works out because she gets a lower half she's not thrilled with. For some reason she has a wickedly flat stomach.

I on the other hand, am a brunette, who went gray at 16. I have dark blue eyes. My skin is a wee olive compared to her. I tend to tan better. I'm more lanky. Although with the weight I'm carrying at the moment you wouldn't know that. I build muscle easily as well, but I don't bulk like Audrea does. My stomach has NEVER been flat. I'm broader in the back.

And so, we are very much different body types.

The site below has a side by side twin comparison. Not with FE, but with good lifestyle and skin care compared to the other without.

http://main.stylelist.com/2009/10/30/what-keeps-a-woman-looking-young/

Quote:
I do think both you and Audrea look great, but can’t help but think that its because your mum had started early and maybe without resistance exercises.

Help me out here. Do you think her facial exercises actually impacted our DNA?

Quote:
But I thought genes played a role in how we age. I mean I read something by Bruce Lifton a little while ago which said that genes played a huge part. I guess I was thinking that if your mum did the exercising and bodybuilding then her body must have been really healthy then as a result growing up you would no doubt have inherited those same genes.

Deb was an otherwise healthy adult. REALLY HEALTHY? Could probably be debated. Again, refer to my above question. With regard to how her bodybuilding would impact my DNA. I feel I'm misunderstanding you.

Quote:

Sure and like I said previously, I've found these in quite a few places and not just about FlexEffect but others so know there is something going on. Like I said I've not heard from anyone who hasn't seemed to experience issues.
I guess, I'm not understanding the part about "not heard from anyone who hasn't seemed to experience issues." I'm assuming you mean something negative. Or are you referring to the need to cater to their own body, and having to learn what that means?

Quote:
Sure I understand that, but at least it would point us a picture of what could be achieved. I know genes take us so far, but if you are starting off with good ones, then that can lead you further than if you are starting off than with less than good ones.

Well, we do joke there is not an ugly one in the bunch. LOL! Overall everyone, IMO, falls into normal. I don't know how it could paint a picture. As you can see with the twins above, lifestyle takes over. A picture is not enough. you'd need an entire medical history.

But this is something I always talk about. Whatever is going on within will be reflected on the outside.

Quote:
That’s exactly why I started this thread, to hear if there is anyone out here under 35 who hasn't had problems. From what I've read with CM, and she’s been at this for quite a while, she still hasn't achieved the look she wants yet even after all this time. Also she doesn't follow the regime daily – she works on a bodybuilding timetable, which may also be the reason she hasn't encountered any issues as yet.

See I actually see this differently. CM can chime in to be more specific. CM has had a relatively youthful appearance. And she has a face structure she'd like to change a bit. That being she has naturally a narrow face, and she'd like to add a bit more build. This is the same as skinny bodies walking into a gym to look less lanky. There is not a "problem" per se, just a desire for a different look. CM also has a strong science background and also a strong body building background. She has moved beyond the "beginner" level. She knows how to identify what's going on in her face and she tweaks her needs.

It seems you are looking for the one size fits all program. And THAT doesn't exist. Our method is to teach you how to work everything, and to guide you in your tweaking to your needs. I wouldn't consider this a problem. I call it catering to the individual. Perhaps the programs out there need to explain this better???

Quote:
Likewise I thought you said you weren't consistent growing up so I’m just really wanting to be proved wrong and happy to be if there is a person that exists that can do so!

True I wasn't consistent. I was on an off for quite some time. Getting more into it, in my 20's. Audrea was the more consistent one because she actually taught the program. You'd find me in a ballet studio, or in the library in my early years.

Most importantly, I don't think it really matters if you ever find the exact group of people who respond the way you're looking to hear of them respond. How would that impact how you respond now? I don't see that it does.

Sounds to me like if you do any routine, you need some form of tweaking. Now, I get that some really don't want to think about it. And that's where I suggest one should not bother. You have to engage when you do anything. There is no trainer who succeeds at the goals in anything that doesn't study what they do.

Quote:
I’m more than happy to email you photos. Where do I send them?
Claudia@flexeffect.com

5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:
Nanella that’s interesting, as I thought you had designed your own facial exercises because of problems you have. Do you really think the facial muscles get a workout with usage – as that seems to be going against what these facial exercise teachers all say, and you may be right here I don’t know. I feel my face was in a good place at the start and I was simply wanting to maintain that and then used resistance and things went beserk on me. I so want to get back to what I had before, but I doubt I will ever unless I have surgery.

I'm really glad you've raised these concerns as it's given me much food for thought. I'll start off by saying that a fundamental principle of strength training is that resistance = increased lean muscle mass. There is simply no way around it. If you employ enough resistance when exercising, you're going to get build. The younger the muscles, the quicker they are to respond and, therefore, the more undesirable side-effects you're going to develop if you embark on an aggressive exercise regimen.

Now you have to ask yourself: What, realistically, are my goals? Facial muscles atrophy over the course of our lives, but that really shouldn't be a concern for a 35-year-old person who is going about her day making expressions, eating, kissing, blowing raspberries, etc. Your facial muscles aren't in stasis, they're probably the most utilized muscles in the entire body (but don't quote me on that because I haven't looked it up). And they're comparatively small...they need far, far less movement than, say, your thighs, in order to maintain their tone. An exception to that rule would be the platysma, which is attached at your mouth corners (on most people) and reaches all the way down to your upper chest. If you're genetically predisposed to losing tone in this muscle early in life, you'll know it. Oh boy, will you know it. "My jawline is getting softer" is the typical lament of the weak platysma-ed.

Your skin is going to show signs of aging long before your muscles will. Which is why I think it's a little misguided to expect facial exercise programs to keep your skin youthful-looking. And it's also why you won't find a single middle-aged facial exercise enthusiast who relies exclusively on her program. Speaking for myself, you can pry my vitamin C serum and sunscreen from my cold, dead fingers. And I'm sure I'll continue adding actives to my regimen.

I think the key thing to remember is that your skin is going to age, your face is going to change. An exercise program is not going to prevent that from happening. If you begin an aggressive program today, ten years from now I guarantee you will not look the same way you do today. You can't hold back the ocean, it's going to surround and engulf you because it is much bigger and more powerful than you. However, you can work with it, you can build a boat and learn how to navigate its waters gracefully and expertly.

So here's to hoping that those realistic expectations are firmly in place. I didn't recommend exercises to you because at this point in your life you probably need to focus on skin care more than muscle care. I still think vigorous massage is the way to go, but if you're eager to give your facial muscles more of a work out than they're already getting, you'll want to approach it with kid gloves. No-to-light resistance is what your youthful muscles are going to prefer. I don't even use resistance with every exercise I perform. I have a full lower face - I don't want to create build there.

I've never tried her program, but I've heard Carole Maggio's original program utilizes light resistance. Some people have opined that Carolyn's Facial Fitness is a light intensity program. These two are the only ones that come to mind presently, but I'm sure there are others.

As you age, you'll find yourself longing for a more intense program. You'll need to work the muscles harder to compensate for a thinning dermal matrix, and you'll need to increase resistance to keep aging muscles responsive.

Build your boat and paddle on out there into the shallow waters. Eventually the ocean is going to carry you farther and farther away from the comfort zone of youth, *but*, it's not as scary as you think if you relax and work with it, not against it.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaCats wrote:
I so want to get back to what I had before, but I doubt I will ever unless I have surgery.

I overlooked this part of your response. (Sorry!) Give your muscles time to atrophy before you begin a program. It will happen eventually, but because your muscles were in great shape to begin with and then you Hulked out...it could take a few months for your face to Bruce Banner itself. Several, even.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Firefox, I know I can't speak for Theresa but am also a "Theresa" and know her personally outside of EDS and in reading your posts they do look like your digging at her, and I couldn't help myself.

Your comment that there may be a difference between how willing "younger" and "older" people and really 'going for it' is what I'm annoyed over, because I don't think it matters young or old. What Theresa was unfortunate in experiencing is something that Ive not experienced in my 10 years of facial exercises and not that I've not had problems, but she's convinced permanent damage has occured and I don't see how your comments on this thread asking for people under 35 doing facial exercises without problems to post is helping anyone!

You are reading something that is not there into a perfectly straightforward comment. I am sorry you cannot see the relevance but it would make me into a boring, patronising twit if I banged on for half an hour about scientific methodology. Different people have different posting styles, mine is asking (hopefully) clear and direct questions because I think an answer would be informative. My questions are not rhetorical or sly digs. Please mentally read my posts with a 'matter of fact' or friendly tone and take the wording at face value. No idea what you find annoying about that particular statement - nothing derogatory was said, i used the word *may* twice and my reasons were clearly stated.

TheresaCats
5% products discount

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Thank you TheresaMary but there was no need. I think that fact that I didn’t respond to Firefox’s post says volumes. Firefox – I started this thread to hear from people under 35 who are doing resistance training and haven’t had any problem are you under 35 and doing facial exercises? If so please elaborate, otherwise I'd like to hear from people in that category only!

Thanks to all who have posted, but I really would like the purpose of this thread to get back on track. IF there is anyone under 35 doing resistance facial exercises please come forward.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Theresa

I’m sorry to hear of your experience, and also interested in the research you have collated so far. I’ve got many clients who are actually in their early 20’s (and a lot of clients who are 30s/40s/50s – right up to an 80 plus year young lady).

Now with resistance exercises and your goal of maintenance. Would I have prescribed resistance exercises, I must admit that I probably would have recommended them to you but with a caution of not going full out with resistance and high reps, nor would I have had you doing intense workouts. Where maintenance is the goal, sometimes it may be something as simple as only doing one workout a week – especially if the muscles are already strong. I’ve not seen your photos so don’t know whats happened, but can understand the concerns you have but happy to talk to you also if you want.

Eye hollows can be due to a large number of different factors – there isn’t a one cause for everyone, and also depending on what your body challenges were/are these too can impact the success and speed of results. I’ve said this before (and think I did in my last past I did here just a few moments ago) I’m a firm believer that as long as your alive there is always a solution. Our bodies are amazing things and are capable of so much.

Happy to chat further if you want, but just wanted to throw this into your mix. A lot of youngsters won’t speak publicly about doing facial exercises I’ve found in my experience because of the fear of being ridiculed or made fun of (and I know I started too when I was young after recovering from a car accident so my journey is a little different than most) but nonetheless its still a testimony to how great our bodies are because the damage that was done has healed up and the skin, muscles and bone are all very strong now and I feel happy in myself.

5% products discount

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, but it would still be nice to hear directly from someone under 35 who has done them. I know EDS is popular so maybe there isn't anyone here who has done them and is happy with how things have turned out. It kind of just proves my original assumption, otherwise I figure we would have heard from them by now.
bob44
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Its funny you say that. When I first read the thread I was going to reply to kind of agree with you, but then I thought that would be a waste of time. But after reading your last response, I can validate for you that I started when I was early 20's and I did regret it because in the end it ended up looking worse than when I started. I know people said it could have been because of my diet, but my diet stayed the same.

Just thought I would add my two cents.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Bob... I'm curious if you'd be willing to share pictures with me as well.

I've been looking at TheresaCats photos (Thanks Theresa... I'll send you comments in the next few days)

I can see part of what she's talking about. I gather some of this can't be captured on film without a professional.

I'm starting to develop a little theory here. Not ready to share yet. But has nothing to do with age. I suspect if it were age we'd be hearing about this A LOT more. We have a lot of under 35 clients now adays. Lots at play here.

So if you're willing to share. I will keep them private.

Thanks...

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |