Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DS Laboratories Trioxil.PM Anti-Acne Gel (30 ml) glominerals gloShimmer Brick - Luster (7.4 g / 0.26 oz) Bremenn Clinical Upper Eyelid Lifter (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Distilled water
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
capricorn
5% products discount

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
In all of the listed vitamin C serum recipes it is stated to use distilled water. I suppose distilled water is BOTH sterile and demineralized?

I asked my local pharmacy and they only have distilled water, which is sterile but NOT demineralized.

I have read several places that when L-ascorbic acid is mixed with water, the water has to be both sterile AND demineralzed because L-ascorbic might interact with the minerals in the water which again makes the LAA oxidize.

Can someone please help clarify.

thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Distilled water. Distillation is a process by which water is boiled until vapor is produced. This vapor is collected and cooled until it returns to a liquid state. Because minerals are too heavy to be carried by the vapor, the resulting water is completely free of additives. A desalination plant is a perfect example of distillation- salt water is boiled, the vapor is cooled and collected, and the salt and minerals are left behind. However, distilled water is also very unpalatable in its natural state. Desalination plants must also add some minerals in order to make the water usable for general consumers.

Distilled water is perfect for applications where minerals and contaminants would cause problems. Distilled water can be used in irons for steam settings or as coolant for car engines. Because there are no minerals that can stain or build up, distilled water is mostly recommended for use in machinery and cleaning products. It is not particular good to drink distilled water, because it has a tendency to pull minerals out of the bloodstream and other areas. Distilled water is perhaps the cleanest version of bottled water available, but it is not good for human consumption.

http://www.essortment.com/difference-between-distilled-purified-mineral-well-spring-water-25359.html

5% products discount

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
What product of distilled water can you recommend? The distilled water I can obtain at my local grocer is demineralized but NOT sterile. As I understand, using it for C serums requires it to be BOTH demineralized and sterile. Perhaps there is a difference in the way destilled water is produced in the US compared to Europe. I think European producers are using a chemical process whereas US producers are using boiling. The chemical process removes minerals/metals from the water but the resulting water is not sterile.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 am      Reply with quote
capricorn wrote:
What product of distilled water can you recommend? The distilled water I can obtain at my local grocer is demineralized but NOT sterile. As I understand, using it for C serums requires it to be BOTH demineralized and sterile. Perhaps there is a difference in the way destilled water is produced in the US compared to Europe. I think European producers are using a chemical process whereas US producers are using boiling. The chemical process removes minerals/metals from the water but the resulting water is not sterile.

It is my understanding it is bottled as sterile I had to use it in the respirator my father needed when I cared for him as he approached the end of life. If it is sterile enough to enter a human's lungs (there are cases of recovering patients needing a respirator for a time) it is sterile enough for a C serum, it has been a mainstay for most all DIY'ers here and all over the web for as long as I can remember.

That is in the US, I can only suggest you boil and cool any you feel is not sterile for use? Wink

5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Distilled water=sterile and demineralized

Demineralized=demineralzied but NOT sterile

As I can only obtain demineralized water, I will need to boil it in a glass in the microwave to make it sterile.

Boiling it in a steel pot will add small quantities of minerals to the water, which is not desired.

Demineralized is much cheaper for companies to produce and probably the reason, why I can't obtain distilled water anywhre. Using it in a car battery or an iron does not require the product to be sterile.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:54 am      Reply with quote
capricorn wrote:

Demineralized=demineralzied but NOT sterile

As I can only obtain demineralized water, I will need to boil it in a glass in the microwave to make it sterile.

Boiling it in a steel pot will add small quantities of minerals to the water, which is not desired.

Demineralized is much cheaper for companies to produce and probably the reason, why I can't obtain distilled water anywhre. Using it in a car battery or an iron does not require the product to be sterile.

Capricorn - Are you in Canada or the US, by any chance?

I urgently needed some distilled water whilst in Canada and we eventually managed to find some in one of the large drugstores. I believe it might have been Shoppers Drugs Mart. Perhaps try a similarly large drugstore, rather than a small local pharmacy?
capricorn
5% products discount

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am      Reply with quote
@majorb

thanks for the hint, but actually I'm from Denmark.

I'll just boil some demineralized water in the microwave.

I don't think there is a market for steril+demineralized water in Denmark. I can find sterile water and I can find demineralized water but unfortunately not the combination. Even WFI (WaterForInjection) seems not to be demineralized.

But thanks again!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am      Reply with quote
capricorn wrote:
@majorb

I don't think there is a market for steril+demineralized water in Denmark. I can find sterile water and I can find demineralized water but unfortunately not the combination. Even WFI (WaterForInjection) seems not to be demineralized.

But thanks again!

capricorn if you are boiling in either a glass container (pot) or Stainless Steal you should have no worries of contaminating your water with metals/minerals. Stainless Steal is tempered to a very hard level and does not give off any easily!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Distilled water. Distillation is a process by which water is boiled until vapor is produced. This vapor is collected and cooled until it returns to a liquid state. Because minerals are too heavy to be carried by the vapor, the resulting water is completely free of additives. A desalination plant is a perfect example of distillation- salt water is boiled, the vapor is cooled and collected, and the salt and minerals are left behind. However, distilled water is also very unpalatable in its natural state. Desalination plants must also add some minerals in order to make the water usable for general consumers.

Distilled water is perfect for applications where minerals and contaminants would cause problems. Distilled water can be used in irons for steam settings or as coolant for car engines. Because there are no minerals that can stain or build up, distilled water is mostly recommended for use in machinery and cleaning products. It is not particular good to drink distilled water, because it has a tendency to pull minerals out of the bloodstream and other areas. Distilled water is perhaps the cleanest version of bottled water available, but it is not good for human consumption.

The claim that distilled water leaches minerals from the body is a myth. There has never been any documented evidence to prove this claim true. Just the opposite has been found to occur in cellular research studies. Drinking pure distilled water does not reduce valuable minerals from living human tissues. Our bodies simply don't release their mineral stores that easily.

However, the leaching part is partially true. The minerals that are leached (removed) by distilled water are the inorganic minerals that the body cannot use, thus cleansing the system. This is a healthy effect rather than an unhealthy one. Distilled water will not leach organic minerals that have become part of the cell structure.

In other words, distilled water can never force out essential body elements. By virtue of its ultra low viscosity, distilled water efficiently transports wastes and stores of toxins, including harmful inorganic minerals, out of the cells, tissues and bones for elimination via sweat, respiration, urination, etc. When we drink only distilled water, we are assisting our body's ability to eliminate toxins.

Here is an article by Dr. Andrew Weil that lays the myths about distilled water to rest:

http://www.aquaprix.com/resources/from-dr-andrew-weil/

Much of what I've written above is referenced from articles on the web. You can also find all kinds of articles on the web demonizing distilled water for one reason or another. But have the people condemning it actually been drinking it themselves for an extended period of time in order to determine real-life results? Very doubtful! Like they say, "Judge only by the results".

There are two people in my family; we have both been drinking only distilled water since the mid 70s. That's 37 years. We've not used spring water, reverse osmosis water or water filtered by any other method, and no tap water, only distilled, all these years. And we're in excellent health. Our checkups are great, no arthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatism, heart problems or any other such things that seem to plague people our age. We don't use or require any kind of medication or prescription drugs. I turned 69 this year. If drinking distilled water were as dangerous and deadly as some claim, I should be in terrible health or dead by now. I am not attributing my good health solely to drinking distilled water. It's not a magic elixir, after all. But along with a clean, organic, plant-based diet (mostly raw), plenty of exercise and other things that contribute to health and well-being, drinking pure, toxin-free water has definitely been a factor.

I might add that our cat is 15 years old, and has never been given any water other than distilled. She's as zippy as a kitten, and her checkups are great too. I largely attribute this to the raw food diet we've always fed her.

I apologize for going a bit off-topic, since the subject is primarily about using distilled water for DIY serums, etc. But I do feel it's important to examine both sides of any issue so that each individual can make informed choices and then decide what's right for him or her self.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Sovajo wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

The claim that distilled water leaches minerals from the body is a myth. There has never been any documented evidence to prove this claim true. Just the opposite has been found to occur in cellular research studies. Drinking pure distilled water does not reduce valuable minerals from living human tissues. Our bodies simply don't release their mineral stores that easily.

However, the leaching part is partially true. The minerals that are leached (removed) by distilled water are the inorganic minerals that the body cannot use, thus cleansing the system. This is a healthy effect rather than an unhealthy one. Distilled water will not leach organic minerals that have become part of the cell structure.

In other words, distilled water can never force out essential body elements. By virtue of its ultra low viscosity, distilled water efficiently transports wastes and stores of toxins, including harmful inorganic minerals, out of the cells, tissues and bones for elimination via sweat, respiration, urination, etc. When we drink only distilled water, we are assisting our body's ability to eliminate toxins.

Here is an article by Dr. Andrew Weil that lays the myths about distilled water to rest:

http://www.aquaprix.com/resources/from-dr-andrew-weil/

Much of what I've written above is referenced from articles on the web. You can also find all kinds of articles on the web demonizing distilled water for one reason or another. But have the people condemning it actually been drinking it themselves for an extended period of time in order to determine real-life results? Very doubtful! Like they say, "Judge only by the results".

There are two people in my family; we have both been drinking only distilled water since the mid 70s. That's 37 years. We've not used spring water, reverse osmosis water or water filtered by any other method, and no tap water, only distilled, all these years. And we're in excellent health. Our checkups are great, no arthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatism, heart problems or any other such things that seem to plague people our age. We don't use or require any kind of medication or prescription drugs. I turned 69 this year. If drinking distilled water were as dangerous and deadly as some claim, I should be in terrible health or dead by now. I am not attributing my good health solely to drinking distilled water. It's not a magic elixir, after all. But along with a clean, organic, plant-based diet (mostly raw), plenty of exercise and other things that contribute to health and well-being, drinking pure, toxin-free water has definitely been a factor.

I might add that our cat is 15 years old, and has never been given any water other than distilled. She's as zippy as a kitten, and her checkups are great too. I largely attribute this to the raw food diet we've always fed her.

I apologize for going a bit off-topic, since the subject is primarily about using distilled water for DIY serums, etc. But I do feel it's important to examine both sides of any issue so that each individual can make informed choices and then decide what's right for him or her self.

I am not disputing that one way or the other, I have never had the need to drink Distilled Water.

I was merely quoting to explain the process used to distill water. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:58 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I am not disputing that one way or the other, I have never had the need to drink Distilled Water.

Hi DarkMoon,

I know you weren't disputing anything, I just wanted to post what my experience has been with distilled water, and why I drink it.

Hope I didn't come off as defensive or argumentative (or offensive, either!) If I did, please forgive me. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sovajo wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Hi DarkMoon,

I know you weren't disputing anything, I just wanted to post what my experience has been with distilled water, and why I drink it.

Hope I didn't come off as defensive or argumentative (or offensive, either!) If I did, please forgive me. Smile

No not at all and I certainly did not intend that either, simply explaining that was part of a quote which I really did not take to heart. I was most concerned with what and how distilled water is/made. All about DIY purposes not health concerns.

Sorry if it seemed different! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Sorry if it seemed different! Smile

No, it didn't seem different — no need to apologize at all! (We could go on like this all day, lol!)

And with that I will now butt out and let the main topic of the thread continue. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
capricorn wrote:
@majorb

But thanks again!

I know what you mean. I'm from the UK and distilled water is surprisingly difficult to get hold of here, too!

Depending on how cost effective delivery would be, why not try ordering some from the internet. I know that Amazon.co.uk stock it but am not sure whether they would ship it to Denmark - or whether the shipping would cost too much. There might be a supplier over the internet in Denmark, perhaps?

Good luck with your hunt. It seems to be one of those things which used to be easily found and now isn't. I used to buy it years ago to top up my car battery.
damianne
5% products discount

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 am      Reply with quote
i came across a recipe for making distilled water many moons ago, esd posted it in the recipe section down at the bottom. it will do in a pinch since one does not need tons of distilled water to make diy vitamin c.

personally i never knew it needed to be sterile. i use distilled water, which is sold in most food stores across the u.s. anyway heres the link for your convenience.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=481581#481581

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Can you also try contacting Danish labs or universities and asking where they get their distilled water?
capricorn
5% products discount

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I would prefer the water to be sterile. Keep in mind that lowering the Ph to 2.5 will make the water+LAA penetrate the skin barrier.

In fact any bacteria, virus or other unwanted substances in the water will be transported directly through the skin barrier.

This actually raises a more general question.

What substance are we applying onto our skin and what are the long term consequences?

I have raised this question in a seperate thread "Safety concerns".
capricorn
5% products discount

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am not trying to scare the DIY community here on EDS.

But I am suggesting that perhaps we should re-consider the "happy-go-lucky" attitude towards making state-of-the-art cosmecuticals in our own kitchens.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 am      Reply with quote
capricorn wrote:
I would prefer the water to be sterile. Keep in mind that lowering the Ph to 2.5 will make the water+LAA penetrate the skin barrier.

In fact any bacteria, virus or other unwanted substances in the water will be transported directly through the skin barrier.

This actually raises a more general question.

What substance are we applying onto our skin and what are the long term consequences?

I have raised this question in a seperate thread "Safety concerns".

I guess you won't be trying dermarolling then! I've been making Vitamin C serum for about six years and have never given a thought to bacteria getting into my skin. Sometimes we can worry ourselves stupid about scenarios that will never happen.

In Australia you can buy demineralised water in the supermarket - it's for filling your steam iron with.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm lucky enough to live in a country where even the tap water is... glorious! Even though I use distilled water whenever its called for, as Keliu said, I've never given bacterial or viral contamination a thought.
I work on maintaining my health, including a robust immune system, to help shield me from things like that.

As far as dangerous substances, you might take a look at some of the more cutting edge threads here on eds. You'll find some very astute people post here, who keep up on all kinds of the latest studies on the things we're applying, what we're diy'ing, and how we're doing it. I trust them to carry the word if there are precautions we should be taking. seeing as how most of them are using exactly what I am, I'm not going to worry.
p.s. I can't say the same for all diy concoctions that show up on the forum, but some of the recipes recommend following strict practices when formulating, and aren't put together by any bozo's! Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Bessie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 am      Reply with quote
For those who don't have easy access to distilled water, you can buy a small home unit and do it yourself (check the Internet). I have been using one for about a year - before that I had 5-gallon jugs delivered but they were extremely heavy to lift (I'm a wuss) and I kept thinking chemicals from the plastic would end up in the water. The distiller I have only makes one gallon at a time but it's stainless steel and the distilled water goes into a 1-gallon glass carafe. I use distilled water for my iron, steamer, etc. But now that I've read Sovajo's testimony, I'm going to start drinking it - many thanks for the info Sovajo! Cheers, Bess
damianne
5% products discount

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

@ capricorn
then the water i buy from the supermarket (mind you i'm in the u.s.) is sterile, as it is sold as distilled water.

again if your looking for distilled water

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=481581#481581

this link will show you how to make it, obviously boiling water is sterile, and the droplets that land on the lid are distilled.

i do agree that we should be ultra aware of what we put on our bodies... i recently found out that vitamin c also dechlorinates bathtub water, naturally and effectively, another way to avoid unwanted chemicals that can make our skin dry and irritated over prolonged use.

good luck with your quest for distilled water, i am sorry it is so hard to find in denmark...

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) Clarks Botanicals Retinol Rescue Overnight Cream (50 ml) Bremenn Clinical Upper Eyelid Lifter (15 ml / 0.5 floz)