Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How Much Do You Spend On Skin Care Monthly?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
terraaus
5% products discount

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how much you spend on skin care products and supplements monthly, and what do you do to save?

I estimate I spend about $400 a month, which is entirely too much. I watch for online sales and coupon codes. I sometimes get good deals by bidding on EBay. I am thinking I probably need to go with more DIY options. For instance, I heard as silly as it sounds, some women use stickers at night instead of buying Frownies. I wonder if I can maybe use The Perricone diet in place of the expensive anti-aging face creams I have been purchasing.

I would love to hear some of your inexpensive alternatives to expensive products and procedures.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am      Reply with quote
That is more than I spend per year. Your skin must be totally fabulous!
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
You spend over $4500.00 a yr. on skincare!! Shock May I ask what your age range is because that is alot of money! One month for you is almost 2 yrs. for me. Lol! I buy retin a and careprost through alldaychemist and my AHA's, facewash, and retinol resQ from the Alpha Hydrox website. I buy when they have a buy one get one and free shipping. Effective skincare ingredients are important, but they don't have to cost a fortune. Also, consistantly goes hand in hand with that and it costs nothing but a bit of your time.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
OP, what products are you using?
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I easily spend $3000/year. Maybe more, I am afraid to do the arithmetic. Most of that is not for topicals, although I do use tretinion (covered by insurance) Vit C serum (sometimes I make it myself to save $, but I really like Mad Hippie w/ferulic), I am always trying different things to see if they work for my skin which currently is Skin Biology protect & restore w copper peptides. Careprost isn't that expensive but for me it is indispensable.

A lot of my budget goes to filler and botox, both of which I DIY to save money. I think the filler costs will decrease as I have now got to the maintenance stage and use less as I am just topping off in a timely fashion.

Are we counting hair colour? Gotta do that every 10 days. Are we factoring in the occasional permanent makeup touchup? Cosmetics - stictly drugstore and sometime dollar store!

I also do my own gel nails to save money but there a few supplies for that, too.

Are we counting professional treatments like radio frequency and laser?

On the other hand I spend much less than anyone I know on clothing. My feeling is that if my skin and face look as good as possible and my body is toned and a healthy weight it will do more for my appearance than any clothing.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
oh gosh, I have no idea.

$400 for laser/botox etc
$200 for skin care from Image
$50 makeup
$10 retin a
$120 New Beauty Magazine + test tube
$100 misc spa treatments

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
sorry about that! That is my yearly totals, not monthly!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
sorry about that! That is my yearly totals, not monthly!!!

Thanks for clarifying that.
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I hate to imagine how much I actually spend Embarassed

Between fillers and Botox, and basic skincare, like Retin A, Vit C, etc at least $400 a month.

That's not anything new I might try, or gadgets I might buy, or haircare or make up!

oh dear, glad hubby will never see this Shock

5% products discount

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:47 am      Reply with quote
Well some of my expenses are non recurring. This year I purchased a NuFace device and a LightStim. I also had a facial on a cruise and purchased some expensive products while on the ship. In was also having monthly shipments of Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty line delivered, which I have recently canceled.

On a regular basis I now use Murad cleanser, Frownies,LifeCell, Clinique moisturizer, Rodial's Chin & Neck Lift and occasionally, The Natural Face Lift System.

My supplements include Hair Skin and Nail vitamins, Collagen, Biotin, DMAE, Fish Oil, MSM, HGH and COQ10.

I do try to buy my products on sale, or try get them discounted on EBay. I guess I'm looking for ways to decrease the amount I'm spending. People here sound surprised at the amount I'm spending per month, but I remember an article in Allure magazine about 7 years ago, where women were spending over $1,000 per month on maintenance. I think this included hair care also.

I'm wondering if some of the DYI products you make, are as good or better than commercially made products? Could The Perricone diet eliminate the need for facelift product? Any tips you could suggest for lowering my expenses? My skin looks great, but the cost is too much. Thanks for any help.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I plead the 5th, seriously, lol!! Very Happy
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have to be honest and incorporate some bad purchases in the mix.
Looking back on the past 6 months then, I come to about $ 25 per month (not including shampoo and body lotion because that's shared with my kids). But this should become less.
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:25 am      Reply with quote
I was at another forum just last week, and i read this girl was saying she spends around $250 per month on her skincare.
Originally i balked, but then i sat down and think....my skin care, supplements and facial (which takes the major bulk of it), i spend about $300-400 per month as well.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 am      Reply with quote
terrarus,

Wow those are a lot of supplements.
terraaus
5% products discount

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
terrarus,

Wow those are a lot of supplements.

You think so? I thought it was a moderate amount.
terraaus
5% products discount

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Mismis you give yourself Botox and filler injections?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
terraraus,

Check out these vitamins: http://www.vitacost.com/source-naturals-skin-eternal-plus

They have basically all the ingredients that you mentioned and more. The only thing that I dislike about this vitamin is that it contains retinyl palmitate, which a preformed version of vitamin A.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Terraus, yes i do. Not something to jump into without a lot of study, but it is a lot less expensive. I used to spend $700 three to four times a year on botox alone. After 12 years of going to the doc I found out that some people DIY this and other treatments, too. I would be doing it anyways, but this way I can afford to treat areas other than my face (botox for the neck cords or platysma is very effective).

While researching DIY botox I came across a lot of info on hyaluronic acid gel (Juvederm etc) injection. I was not in favour of this when offered by my PS but in depth reading helped me decide it was a healthy choice and it really is a miracle for the aging face...again, nothing to jump into casually, but well worth the effort.

If I had unlimited funds available I would have everything done professionally, but I have a modest budget.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Do you inject yourself mismis or as a group? This sounds potentially dangerous. Especially the juvederm... wow Did someone instruct you? That must've been really scary the first time you came at yourself with a needle. (Sorry just picturing all of this).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I would never inject anyone else! It might even be illegal where I live, and with good reason.

You are absolutely right. It is potentially dangerous and definitely not a good idea for most people. I committed a lot of time to study before attempting ANY injections, and I am also very careful regarding sterile procedure. Even doctors occasionally have a bad result causing necrosis and for this reason there are areas I would never attempt to correct myself. I continue to study everything I can on an ongoing basis, but that will not make me a doctor, just a very well-informed civilian.

The first few times I had a friend in attendance who works at a medical spa where she gives these types of treatments. That was very helpful, but you are right it feels very peculiar to stick a needle into oneself.

BTW botox is potentially just as dangerous; botox "parties" have undermined the serious nature of injecting this for cosmetic purposes.
asif10

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
I buy almost all my products from Target and some run out sooner than others but the first time I bought everything it cost me about $26 for my cleanser, toner, eye makeup remover, and daytime moisturizer. The rest I bought at Sephora which was $80 for night cream and eye cream but those products last several months so that justifies the cost for me. Especially since a good night cream is hard to find for cheap. I plan on looking at Target again though once I run out of my night cream and eye cream to see if I can find something comparable for less.
CPHgirl
5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Approx. 200 USD a month for the Jurlique products I use for my basic AM/PM cleanse-moisturize-routine, vit A cream, Vit C serum, assorted face and body oils, exfoliation cloths, sun screen, dermarollers, the haircare range from Redken, drugstore makeup and nail polish and a cut and color of my hair every 10 weeks.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I spend maybe half of what you are spending.
I don't go to the spa at all. Mostly doing them at home, like--- doing my nails at home, once a week treatment on my hair in the sauna where I swim. I exfoliate my whole body in the shower with an inexpensive St-Yves apricot scrub. I use regular shampoo. Most of my purchases are with EDS, mostly skin care that I can not get locally at Walmart.... I spend money on going to the pool.... I eat very healthy stuff, opting for more natural foods, less fried, more wholegrain. I don't go to doctor's office for a botox treatment, as I can not afford the maintenance of it.... I try my best to look my best at my age. You also have to be happy on what you have.... maybe just "enhance: it....

terraaus wrote:
I'm curious as to how much you spend on skin care products and supplements monthly, and what do you do to save?

I estimate I spend about $400 a month, which is entirely too much. I watch for online sales and coupon codes. I sometimes get good deals by bidding on EBay. I am thinking I probably need to go with more DIY options. For instance, I heard as silly as it sounds, some women use stickers at night instead of buying Frownies. I wonder if I can maybe use The Perricone diet in place of the expensive anti-aging face creams I have been purchasing.

I would love to hear some of your inexpensive alternatives to expensive products and procedures.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I haven't really added it up! Probably a jolly good idea Bad Grin

DH would have an apoplectic fit if he knew Rolling Eyes

A lot is my answer, if I averaged it out over a year , a lot.

My answer, "if you want me to look THIS GOOD it costS!"

Im just way too old to take it for granted, I need help!!!!

Laughing

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |