Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Red face 2 yrs after Obagi...help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
evansmama
5% products discount

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone. I started Obagi in the fall of 2009 and by spring/summer of 2010 my skin looked great!! The only problem is, my face and neck are so red all the time. I only use Obagi about every other day now. I get stopped by strangers who ask me why my face is red! My hairdresser is also into photography and wants to take my picture but told me that I need to get rid of the red in my face first because it's hard to get red out of pictures! I don't know what to do...I hate my red face! I never get out in the sun but everyone always asked me if I'm sunburned...I'm kind of tired of it...I'm going to start saying, "Yes, I'm burnt to a crisp!" and maybe I won't have to stand there explaining that it's just my skin color now. Sad
Any help would be appreciated.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried stopping the Obagi?

Retin A gives me the same red face, and I had to give it up and switch to a retinol product instead. Sad

5% products discount

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:39 am      Reply with quote
No I haven't tried stopping it or Retin A...I was afraid my face would revert back to the way it was...freckled and fine lines. Are there any creams or lotions to combat red?
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Are you using exfoderm - that causes the redness for many? Also, are you using an Obagi maintenance programme under medical supervision?
evansmama
5% products discount

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
No, I am not doing this under a doctor's supervision...I just did this myself. It was given to me as a gift and after reading posts on here, I decided to go ahead and do it. Also, I do have the exfoderm but hardly every use it.
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I do it myself too and usually do the full programme once a year and then go on maintenance with the Clear, Blender and Retin A 2 or 3 times a week.
Was your face very red the whole time you were on the intensive programme? Mine stayed quite red last time but when I backed off for a few days, it got a lot better. Why don't you try stopping all the Obagi for a week and see if it helps? You won't lose your good results in such a short time. You could then start again very slowly with each individual product for a few days before introducing another?
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I am on my 16th week of Obagi and also have severe red face. It's not the tretinoin as was using .1% for a year before with no redness. And it's not Exfoderm as my neck is also red yet I don't use Exfoderm there. If it is Clear or Blender then I am worried as we need those to keep the nice Obagi results. I only use on the neck 2 or 3 times a week (1x per day).

Does anyone know how to tame the redness? Besides using lots of moisturizers, which will negate some Obagi improvements, or using hydrocortisone which can't be used long term.

Can't imagine having red face for much longer as it is so noticeable and everyone comments on it.

I wrote to ZO Health and Obagi and they both said it is not normal but didn't say what causes the redness or how to reduce it.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
While I think it is normal to have a red face on Obagi when you are doing an aggressive treatment cycle, I don't think it is normal for the red face to continue when you go on maintenance (unless the redness is coming from broken capillaries and not the entire face being red?). I personally would stop all the products and see if the red face goes away. If it does, you could introduce the products 1 at a time to see which one is causing the red face. Otherwise, I would think a trip to a derm would be in the best interest of your skin.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
for me; glycolic makes my face red. I didn't realize it for years...until I switched and used something else. So many skincare experts would tell me I had rosacea..but no. For me it was the glycoic. For you; it could be the retin a!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I think for whatever reason, you are using too much of some products. To control it, you use Obagi ACTION MOISTURIZER for the redness. It helps control redness. I think you also must use less of the Obagi EXFODERM and less of the Retin-A. Both of these products when combined causes the redness. Also to protect your skin, don't forget at least 30SPF sunscreen when expose to the skin (at least 30 mins before you go out). It is very important to use sunscreen.

evansmama wrote:
Hey everyone. I started Obagi in the fall of 2009 and by spring/summer of 2010 my skin looked great!! The only problem is, my face and neck are so red all the time. I only use Obagi about every other day now. I get stopped by strangers who ask me why my face is red! My hairdresser is also into photography and wants to take my picture but told me that I need to get rid of the red in my face first because it's hard to get red out of pictures! I don't know what to do...I hate my red face! I never get out in the sun but everyone always asked me if I'm sunburned...I'm kind of tired of it...I'm going to start saying, "Yes, I'm burnt to a crisp!" and maybe I won't have to stand there explaining that it's just my skin color now. Sad
Any help would be appreciated.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 am      Reply with quote
That is so true. Now that I look back when I did obaji..my face would be tomato red using the exfoderm everyday like instructed. I had to back off.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |