Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Diet and skin quality.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hey all. I'll be honest upfront, I'm really good about taking care of my skin (sunscreen, gentle products, exfoliants etc...) but I do not take care of my body! I eat like crap, never workout and eat lots of sugar...or at least I have been.

In the past I have made better food choices, and have been consistent with working out and eating healthy, and noticed my skin looked much better. For some reason though, when you resort back to old habits its very psychologically difficult to think outside of the boundaries of what you see staring back at you in the mirror.

So, I was wondering, how many people have made diet improvements, and seen improvements in their skin? I do strongly believe that diet and skin quality share a positive relationship, but I am wanting to hear some personal experiences mostly for motivational purposes. Thanks!

- Nathan
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
natefan87 wrote:
In the past I have made better food choices, and have been consistent with working out and eating healthy, and noticed my skin looked much better. For some reason though, when you resort back to old habits its very psychologically difficult to think outside of the boundaries of what you see staring back at you in the mirror.

So, I was wondering, how many people have made diet improvements, and seen improvements in their skin? I do strongly believe that diet and skin quality share a positive relationship, but I am wanting to hear some personal experiences mostly for motivational purposes. Thanks!

- Nathan

Hi, I do think you are actually answering your own question!!!Motivational purposes it is then for sure!
My personal experience is that whenever I eat raw red pepper my skin looks better one or two days after; if I have onion soup I lose weight due to water loss, if I eat any salty or soya sauced, gluten foods, I blow up,; etc, etc,... so yes I do think what you eat has an influence on your well being hence your skin.
I'm trying out brewing my own Kombucha tea -just a month into it- and I genuinely think it has a something to it, I feel more energetic and skin wise smoother. Only just started on this. Otherwise I do think fresh, raw foods have a something that health and skin appreciates. Otherwise I love rice, quinoa, lentils...
At the time being, I'm really spending hours on reading up about health and food!!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Oh My. When you're young you can get away with eating crap. After 35-depending upon genetics and pharmacokinetics of your body things will change. When you are older, no way will you get away with eating bad and it doesn't matter what you do on the outside. It will show up in your skin and if not immediately your liver, kidneys, GI tract and other areas will tell on you and it will still end up showing in your face.
Beauty within = Beauty without. It's a done deal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oy! Looks like I might be kicking up daisies any day now.... Shock

I love everything on the BAD lists... Embarassed

Thanking God for great DNA, and enough smarts to take the "bad" in moderation... Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 am      Reply with quote
Health and beauty are closely related. What makes you healthier often makes you prettier.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, I think we are in the same camp. I say everything in moderation, and that includes some excess in moderation.

As for the Good/Bad list maybe just wait - in 1980 who knew chocolate, alcohol and coffee would eventually be on the good list. In moderation . . .

The only 2 I'm still waiting for are butter & sunshine, but it looks like it may be a looong wait. Darn. I may actually be pushing up daisies by the time it is found they should be moved to the "good" list!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I found the Perricone book really informative about the skin-diet connection. But like Kassy and Mismis, I still indulge every now and then! Life is too short, but I still like to take care of myself. You might find this Murad 'Pitcher of Health' useful:

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Kassy, I think we are in the same camp. I say everything in moderation, and that includes some excess in moderation.

As for the Good/Bad list maybe just wait - in 1980 who knew chocolate, alcohol and coffee would eventually be on the good list. In moderation . . .

The only 2 I'm still waiting for are butter & sunshine, but it looks like it may be a looong wait. Darn. I may actually be pushing up daisies by the time it is found they should be moved to the "good" list!

Agree with both mismis and kassy. I am all for everything in moderation. I have known too many older women who eat a lot of junk and look great, so I think that mostly boils down to genetics.

P.S. mismis - some do think that sunshine is good for us already (it is very helpful for eczema). Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Yes, the warnings about problems caused by Vitamin D deficiency due to our use of sunscreen are already starting to surface - we do need some sun on our bodies. Fats are also coming back into vogue.

Everything in moderation is definitely the key.

5% products discount

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:07 am      Reply with quote
I agree it's all about adapting to a healthy lifestyle. Diets don't work, as mentally you are 'limiting' yourself to certain things, and feel like you can never enjoy the bad stuff. I think just eat healthy breakfast like oatmeal, eggs.. healthy lunch of salad fish and brown rice, and same kinda thing for dinner. Snack on nuts and fruits and carrot sticks with hummus, things like that in between, or protein shakes if you work out. Good vitamins too lots of fish oil, which is best for skin, and Vitamin C. (The vitamin D which was mentioned i'm going to look into more too, i bet that's important too). Then remember to not stress over what you eat, i do this now by creating healthy but tasty recipes. I even make a thai curry with all the spices and substitute the heavy coconut milk for soy milk, it's really good! Then i eat cakes or chocolate when my body is craving it, as i think our bodies tell us what we need, and sometimes it is a little sugar too! and workout too with weights or swimming. I have adapted this lifestyle recently and i love it. I'm quite thin genetically, but not much muscle tone, (classed as skinny fat), so am trying to build muscle now to tone my body and strengthen bones etc, so i can still be strong when i get older. I found when i made a choice to have a healthy lifestyle, that everything just falls into place and i don't stress about what to eat, i naturally choose healthier options, and enjoy cakes etc when i feel like it, which naturally gets less the more you get used to being healthy and see the benefits that come with it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everything Yassy said.

This might be of interest:

Diet and wrinkles connection: What does research say?
http://www.smartskincare.com/nutrition/diet-wrinkles-research.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Genetics play a role on how we look, but if you eat a lot of junk foods (plus smoking, drugs) in your younger years, sooner or later it will catch up to you no matter what you do in your old age....

For those people who do not have the "good genes", they have to work "harder" like the rest of us. But when we do take care of ourselves, it really shows in our old age.... We are stronger and healthier.... and happier...

Agree with both mismis and kassy. I am all for everything in moderation. I have known too many older women who eat a lot of junk and look great, so I think that mostly boils down to genetics.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I printed a copy of this pitcher and put it on the fridge.... This is what we should be eating to take care of ourselves!

LondonJamie wrote:
I found the Perricone book really informative about the skin-diet connection. But like Kassy and Mismis, I still indulge every now and then! Life is too short, but I still like to take care of myself. You might find this Murad 'Pitcher of Health' useful:

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |