Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

La Mer: Costs £530 A Jar Although Ingredients Cost Just £25
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 am      Reply with quote
"For years, it's been one of the world's most talked about and sought-after anti-ageing creams.

Women around the world swear by its powers and are happy to splash out £530 for just 250ml of this potent elixir.

In these circles of well-heeled and image-conscious women, Crème de la Mer is more than just a face cream - it's virtually a religion.

It is stocked only in the most exclusive department stores, and these women seem happy to pay whatever it costs in their bid to halt the ageing process.

But what would they say if they knew that the ingredients in their £530 pot of cream cost - as the Daily Mail discovered - no more than £25?

After a month-long investigation into the iconic beauty cream, cosmetic chemist Will Buchanan, who has spent years creating topical treatments for skin and hair, was able to deduce that of the hundreds of thousands of pounds spent each year on the cream, no more than about 5 per cent is accounted for by the ingredients.

Creme de la Mer - the name literally means 'cream of the sea' - have done their best to shroud their product in a veil of mystery. The company's website not only refers to a 'heritage' that is 'inspired by the sea', but also devotes entire sections to what it calls 'The Miracle' and 'The Secret.'

In fact, the cream is actually a very simple and ordinary cosmetic formula. Under European law, every cosmetic and toiletry product must display a full list of ingredients, in descending order of weight. Using the ingredients listed on a pot of Crème de la Mer, alongside his knowledge of product formulations, Will Buchanan was able to suggest how much of each ingredient was likely to be in a jar. He then sourced prices for all the individual components.

Some of the ingredients, such as petrolatum (the contents of Vaseline), glycerine and eucalyptus leaf oil are widely available from beauty supply websites.

Other chemicals need to be bought in bulk directly from industrial chemical suppliers.

According to Will's calculations, recreating 100ml of a copycat Crème de la Mer cream from readily available ingredients is likely to cost no more than £9.71. A 100ml pot of Crème de la Mer retails for £160.

'This is a variation on a basic water-in-oil formula,' says Will. 'What I've done is, of course, only an estimate. To give the benefit of the doubt, I've been very generous in my pricing of the sea kelp, which is the main ingredient.

'Ultimately, of course, only the manufacturers know exactly what the recipe is, and how much their ingredients cost."

See more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/beauty/article-1242978/Cr-la-Mer--It-costs-530-pot--ingredients-cost-just-25--brow-furrowing-truth-stars-favourite-wrinkle-cream.html
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

"In these circles of well-heeled and image-conscious women,.... Creme de la Mer - the name literally means

'cream of the sea'... In fact, the cream is actually a very simple and ordinary cosmetic formula...

Just wanted to crosspost a *TheresaMary recent thread* from Skincare Forum since the article that she linked in her post had to do just a bit with price differentiation between La Mer and, in her thread - Nivea Crème ( as well as similarities of ingredients, and, effectiveness).

I’ve never used La Mer (nor Nivea – and really never planned on using them.)

It is interesting to reflect on the amount of money people spend for the inexpensively priced ingredients converted magically into high-price-tag crèmes.

But not very surprising. (I’d been an Estee Lauder-brand user (especially some products from their Asian-line that I liked very much) and paid a relatively high price for the glitzy packaging, the name and, yes, even whilst knowing all along about the *cheaply- priced* stuff in some of them.) So, nope, not surprising to me at all.

Thankx, VeronicaM, for the good read.

Here’s the link to the other thread I mentioned above:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=49503
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
One thing I like about La Mer, however, is the packaging.

I must admit that the pink and green is very pretty.

La Mer is very clever at marketing.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

Kind of...umm.. a punky-art-nouveau look to it, I think.

I'm very sure alot of research and head-banging meetings went into deciding the design scheme.

Have you tried the crème?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:45 am      Reply with quote
The only thing missing from our Skinactives version may be the eucalyptus but I have the oil and could add a drop.
As I told Veronica, I have tried both. I returned the original version as it made me break out. But I have made 2 batches of the Skinactives now.
I like my Skinactives version as I can control how much of the glycerin, etc. to add and make it to my skin type and absorption rate.
The first batch was a bit thicker and I mistakenly added fragrance and phew!! A drop goes a looonngggg way.
The second batch is thinner and creamier and I did not add any fragrence. I also used my ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and put the container in it for 20-25 minutes. It made it smoother and really mixed the ingredients well.
I alternate it with all my other creams. I use different ones for different days and my multiple personalities I guess, haha.
I have not noticed any significant results but it is a great DIY for the money and no breakouts!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Annie,

Does eucalyptus not irritate your skin?
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Peeked in with a passing curiousity as to whether VeronicaM had ever tried LaMer.

Kath91 wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:

Kind of...umm.. a punky-art-nouveau look to it, I think.

I'm very sure alot of research and head-banging meetings went into deciding the design scheme.

Have you tried the crème?

But, subsequent post only refers to *our* now making a DIY-La Mer*. Huh?

AnnieR wrote:
The only thing missing from our Skinactives version...

.....As I told Veronica, I have tried both...

LOL! A something missing from a hidden from somewhere of anticipated thread progression.
(Am always open to a good laugh. LOL)
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Paula Begoun to take all the money you would have spent on expensive creams like this and put it in the bank. Then when you need a facelift, take it out and pay the doctor!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I can use Eucalyptus in very small doses. I would not have thought it was in La Mer. I can usually sniff that out. My First Aid Balm has it and I can tell, but it it such a small amount it doesn't bother my skin. Very cooling!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I finally broke down and bought this when I was researching a DIY dupe..

Imagine my horror as I tell you that I love this darned creme' And the smell... unbelievably light, clean and awesome. Even Mr Kassy commented on the smell (((drats)))

Using it straight from the jar just wasn't my cup of tea though, because it's way richer than what I need. I found though, if I used it with a bit of HA serum + SKB, mixed with a dab of CDLM in the palm of my hand, I LOVE THE DARNED STUFF.. Laughing

As for the claims that "German Nivea Cream" are just like it, I say hogwash. Totally different smell, consistency, feel and absorption potential. Even the color is a bit different. Nivea looks like toothpaste (and that goes for both the German & Mexican versions.

I hate that I love this bloody stuff, and I'm going to stretch that 1oz within an inch of it's life with my HA serum + SKB. Very Happy

ETA: If any body cares to venture a guess on the "fragrance" in CDLM, I'm all ears. I just can't quite get it right, but not for lack of trying.

Edit again.. The SKB makes this stuff "liquify" like you wouldn't believe.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I finally broke down and bought this when I was researching a DIY dupe..

Imagine my horror as I tell you that I love this darned creme' And the smell... unbelievably light, clean and awesome. Even Mr Kassy commented on the smell (((drats)))

Using it straight from the jar just wasn't my cup of tea though, because it's way richer than what I need. I found though, if I used it with a bit of HA serum + SKB, mixed with a dab of CDLM in the palm of my hand, I LOVE THE DARNED STUFF.. Laughing

As for the claims that "German Nivea Cream" are just like it, I say hogwash. Totally different smell, consistency, feel and absorption potential. Even the color is a bit different. Nivea looks like toothpaste (and that goes for both the German & Mexican versions.

I hate that I love this bloody stuff, and I'm going to stretch that 1oz within an inch of it's life with my HA serum + SKB. Very Happy

ETA: If any body cares to venture a guess on the "fragrance" in CDLM, I'm all ears. I just can't quite get it right, but not for lack of trying.

Edit again.. The SKB makes this stuff "liquify" like you wouldn't believe.

Kassy, have you tried the SkinActives dupe kit?

Because if you say it can't be duplicated, I believe it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried that Beth. Maybe I'll check it out!

I could work out a *decent* dupe with (G) Nivea Creme, but without the same fragrance, serious CDLM users wouldn't be happy.

The Nivea Creme from Germany has the same "base" ingredients as CDLM. But the real thing has an awful lot of botanicals and essential oils in addition to the base. If one were just interested in a great barrier repair cream, than Nivea with the addition of a couple of oils and SKB could do the trick.

The made in Mexico version available everywhere in the USA has a very similar base, but the addition of the "beeswax" is what I don't care for personally.

The smell of the CDLM is what I'm finding addictive. To the tune that I can't wait until bed time, to put it on... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
For those interested, here are the ingredients for all 3 products:

Creme de La Mer Ingredients:
Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral oil, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Medicago sativa (alfalfa) seed powder, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus amygdulus dulcis (sweet almond) seed meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl oleate, Aluminium distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum).

German Nivea Creme Ingredients:
Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit®), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol.

USA Nivea Creme Ingredients (made in Mexico):
Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Panthenol, Alcohol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
@VeronicaM, Thankx, for your PM that I could’ve read with your answer/info etc. prior to my post re how confused I was. I am so very bad at and with catching up w/ the PM world here.

ETA - I realize it's not a swell idea to keep two *windows* open at the same time either.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
There are other products that use the same "multi-mineral anti-aging complex" as CdlM, such as:

"O2Life:
Oxygen Complex®
Cellular Revitalizer, metabolic tissue reactivator
Karitè Butter
Nourishing, Soothing.
Monoi Tahiti Butter
Emollient, Regenerating
Sepitonic M4®(multi-mineral anti-aging complex)
Lifting. Improves cutaneous barrier."
http://www.o2life.it/site/eng/cremavn.php

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |