Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Topical Magnesium Chloride anyone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I've started taking a supplement of Magnesium Chloride as being 44 y/o I already have a lot of back, neck pain and being diagnosed with arthrosis, and being told it is a degenerative illness where there is nothing you can do... so after doing a little research I came across tons of information about Magnesium which included helping with arthrosis.
My question is if there is anyone around here who applies it as a topical -like the DIY vit. C serum.
I have started taking it internally for about a week now, and I also decided to apply it to my face after the vit. C serum, after reading about its numerous benefits. So, in the last two days I've developed very tiny pimples across my cheeks and can't think of any other reason but the added Magnesium... and that has made me wonder whether this is a good sign of my skin/body purging...
Anyone had any experience with topical application of Magnesium Chloride?? I just mix a quarter teaspoon with distilled water and apply after de Vit. C serum has dried. I must add that I've applied it also to my hands, suffer from eczema, and they have improved to begin with, the first two days cracks closed up and skin smoothed, although it nips a lot when first applied, and suddenly today it's all itchy again, hasn't split open though, still better than before the MC.
TIA to anyone who may have experience with topical application of Magnesium Chloride.
A
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know why I can't edit to add, so I'm adding here a bit of information about transdermal absorption:

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-chloride/

There is a lot of info. if one searches, but I can't find much about reactions to facial application regarding the tiny pimples... These small pimples actually remind me of my teens when I had one or two pimples and was prescribed Resorcinol and the first reaction was to suddenly produce a whole lot of tiny pimples, skin shed and then clear skin.
That is why I'm wondering if it is a reaction to my body/skin purging/clearing...
puddlelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I've no experience of adding it to a face cream, but I know people often add magnesium to their bath water and this increases the amount in the body (if you're taking a supplement is there a safe dose? as it may be difficult to gauge how much more is being absorbed)
I don't know if it's appropriate for arthrosis but have you looked into MSM which is reputed to help with joints and skin too, thas may be useful as a supplement and/or a topical (I don't know if it's appropriate to use at the same time as magnesium)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Sorry-you didn't say you'd added it to a cream! I was thinking of my msm cream!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi puddlelover, no I didn't say I added it to a cream, but I did mention I applied it topically just mixed with water, like you mention people add it to bath water, I just mix with water and apply... similar in a way, the fact is it goes on the skin!!
Thanks for your concerns about dosage. The fact is I'm trying on skin for transdermal absorption to prevent the possible side effect of excessive internal use which can be
diarrhea... I've not come across side effects of skin/transdermal absorption,...
I'm just really puzzled at my sudden burst of tiny pimples on my cheeks, jaw and chin, and I can only relate it to the application of the Magnesium Chloride mixed with water that I've been doing the last few days... so was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar with a topical/cream of Magnesium on the face. By the way I haven't used it today, and instead I've applied the mixture of Jojoba oil with Tea Tree Oil to clear the pimples away!
And thanks also for the MSM tip, I do take it on and off internally, hadn't thought about trying the cream form... Another thing to look into!!!

I also found the Magnesium cream to be good with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the more I read into this mineral the more impressed I am!!

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Magnesium_cream_-_how_to_make_it_and_use_it
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Due to Toby's suggestion I use this http://www.vitacost.com/natural-vitality-natural-calm-raspberry-lemon

It is a magnesium supplement and I love it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I used it on my body, got it from swansonvitamins but it gave me swollen ankles! I wonder if anyone else experienced that too....
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
That's interesting. Jaminerosey who hasn't been on in a while used Magnesium sprays and felt they were very youthenizing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
I used it on my body, got it from swansonvitamins but it gave me swollen ankles! I wonder if anyone else experienced that too....

Used on my face, the water/magnesium chloride serum seems to be the cause of the pimples, yet I've also applied it to my hands with eczema and it seems to be helping. I've stopped use on face, going to wait for clear up and try again to see if it is the real cause of the pimples... Do you think the swollen ankles was due to the topical application? Did you apply it directly to your ankles? I've applied to my aching areas -lower back and neck, without it causing any side effects, pimples, etc,... so a bit puzzled about the facial skin issue.
On the other hand, the actual treatment for arthrosis, I'm still taking Magnesium internally, plus MSM, and various vitamines like B's and C,... just checking out Chondroitin and Glucosamine... too many supplements!!!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
daler wrote:

Used on my face, the water/magnesium chloride serum seems to be the cause of the pimples, yet I've also applied it to my hands with eczema and it seems to be helping. I've stopped use on face, going to wait for clear up and try again to see if it is the real cause of the pimples... Do you think the swollen ankles was due to the topical application? Did you apply it directly to your ankles? I've applied to my aching areas -lower back and neck, without it causing any side effects, pimples, etc,... so a bit puzzled about the facial skin issue.
On the other hand, the actual treatment for arthrosis, I'm still taking Magnesium internally, plus MSM, and various vitamines like B's and C,... just checking out Chondroitin and Glucosamine... too many supplements!!!

I didn't use it on face but on my body, dont remember if i applied on ankles or not though....
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
I didn't use it on face but on my body, dont remember if i applied on ankles or not though....

Just wondering if it was the Magnesium causing the swollen ankles... Did you do anything differently previous to the swollen ankles? Just trying to track down whether or not it was due to the Magnesium??
Thanks, Anne.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
daler wrote:

Just wondering if it was the Magnesium causing the swollen ankles... Did you do anything differently previous to the swollen ankles? Just trying to track down whether or not it was due to the Magnesium??
Thanks, Anne.

I know, without a doubt, that it was magnesium chloride, swelling went away when i stopped and cam back again when i used again.... btw, I get the same from using seakelp & CoQ10 on my scalp and/or body but just one face is fine.. i know its crazy but true! I get swollen ankles when I take Coq10 capsules internally as well...
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hoping to read more about the magnesium...
Realized some time back that the "topical magnesium..." I talk about is called "magnesium oil"!!! That is magnesium chloride mixed in water that creates an oily like liquid.

I've decided to give it another try on my face, and see if it creates pimples or not. Still wondering why it had that effect on my skin, as as soon as I stopped the pimples went away so I attribute them to the magnesium oil.
I use it nowadays a lot as a bath ingredient, like also sea salt or Epsom salt, and find those relieve the back pain enormously!
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I tried topical magnesium oil for a little while, but really hated the feel of it on my skin. It's heavy and "cloggy" and it gets on whatever you brush against. I don't even remember if it soaked in, either. If I recall correctly it would sting a little, too.

But it's good for a foot soak and they say that's a good way to absorb it. But epsom salts (which are basically powdered magnesium) will do about the same for you in a footbath, and they're cheaper.

There's no oil in mag oil, BTW...heavily mineralized water feels kind of oily, and mag oil is a lot of mineral in a little water. There was a warm spring in Pennsylvannia I used to go to that was famous for its mineral waters, and getting into the pools it felt kind of oily and soft. Mag oil is orders of magnitude denser with minerals (magnesium) than mineral waters.

ATester, do you take Vitamin K (aka MK2 and MK4)? My understanding is that Vit K is important in keeping calcium where it belongs, in the bones, rather than it leaching from the bone. It's a cofactor for healthy bones like magnesium is. I don't know if Vit K is contraindicated for your condition, but it might be something worth looking into for you, if you don't take it already.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
I tried topical magnesium oil for a little while, but really hated the feel of it on my skin. It's heavy and "cloggy" and it gets on whatever you brush against. I don't even remember if it soaked in, either. If I recall correctly it would sting a little, too.

But it's good for a foot soak and they say that's a good way to absorb it. But epsom salts (which are basically powdered magnesium) will do about the same for you in a footbath, and they're cheaper.

There's no oil in mag oil, BTW...heavily mineralized water feels kind of oily, and mag oil is a lot of mineral in a little water. There was a warm spring in Pennsylvannia I used to go to that was famous for its mineral waters, and getting into the pools it felt kind of oily and soft. Mag oil is orders of magnitude denser with minerals (magnesium) than mineral waters.

ATester, do you take Vitamin K (aka MK2 and MK4)? My understanding is that Vit K is important in keeping calcium where it belongs, in the bones, rather than it leaching from the bone. It's a cofactor for healthy bones like magnesium is. I don't know if Vit K is contraindicated for your condition, but it might be something worth looking into for you, if you don't take it already.

Hi Yubs, yes it does "sting" when I apply on eczema. I tried again on face and again have come up with a few pimples... still wondering if it is a detox thing or just simply a heavy cloggy oil that is causing it!!
Thank you for the vit. K tip. Very Happy , I do eat raw kale, sauerkraut and kombucha which are supposed to be high in it but must check it out. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |