Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

could DIY vitamin C serum be giving me the uglies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
yoddy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 am      Reply with quote
A few months ago I looked in the mirror and decided that I had to do something about how haggard I was looking. Age spots, dull complexion under eye wrinkles, at age 35!
Enter diy Vit C serum with FA and E, and rosehip oil.
A few months later my complexion looks awesome, and my age spots are starting to fade, but my once breakout prone skin is now dry, literally drinking up everything I give it and more, and suddenly I have pillow wrinkles (deep ones) that werent there before.
HELP!
What might be going wrong? Surely I cant be ageing this quickly?
I have just bought 'lets make collagen' by sas to see if that might help, with my new wrinkles
but I am feeling hesitant...
Is this Vit C uglies? should I push through?
I have stopped using vit c under my eyes for about a fortnight now, but no improvement.
Any advice would be appreciated!
I do not and have never used a vit A product. I am a bit scared of them as I am a fraidy cat.
...oh and I bought a satin pillow case, which did nothing to help!

Confused
Thanking you in advance xxx
yoddy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:24 am      Reply with quote
dear moderators... should I have put this in the diy forum? I am new here, please move it if thats where it should be.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:51 am      Reply with quote
If your skin is dry wrinkles will be more apparent.
yoddy

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but with the amount of moisturiser I am using, I am at a bit of a loss, and wonder if it might be more than this. Do you know if Vit C serum or rosehip oil can cause a crepey stage?
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
yoddy wrote:
Yes, but with the amount of moisturiser I am using, I am at a bit of a loss, and wonder if it might be more than this. Do you know if Vit C serum or rosehip oil can cause a crepey stage?

ascorbic acid can be drying n thus crepey skin,, rosehip oil is very emolient and have the opposite effect, IMO...
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
If it is irritating your skin to the point that it is much, much drier than previously, I would guess that the ph is too low and is causing excessive irritation.

If you've already checked the ph and it's in the proper range, then I guess your skin can't handle an acidic ph. Or perhaps it doesn't like something else in the serum. Were there any other ingredients in the recipe that your skin isn't accustomed to?
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've used rosehip oil for years and can help out. It's a wonderful oil but strangely isn't highly emollient, it has never been enough on my skin alone and does indeed leave it looking dry rather than hydrated. You can improve rosehip by mixing it with olive or hemp oil which tend to hydrate better. 50/50 will improve its performance.

As for C serums...the less I say the better. I've only had negative experiences with them although others swear by them. Crying or Very sad My negatives included loss of skin tone, huperpigmentation and rapid development of fine lines. All of that ended some months after I threw C serum in the bin. My skin hates it, but it did recover.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
What ingredients did you use in your diy vitamin c and how many percent?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hello yoddy Smile I think you put too much too soon for your DIY vitamin C serum and your skin could not handle it... Applying this should be a gradual stage and in conjunction with a good moisturizer suited to your skin type is also necessary to improve skin condition i.e. Almond oil for example. Also, drinking lots of water to hydrate the skin/body is important factor too... Good luck Smile
NuvosaAdrian
5% products discount

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Some Vitamin C serum users have reported that they developed more fine lines after using VitC. Perhaps your skin isn't comfortable with it. Try using it gradually.

As for rosehip oil, it will dry out your skin somewhat so you need to counteract this effect by either diluting rosehip or being conscious about hydration (moisturizer and drinking enough fluids).
Dragonwell

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Does anybody know if i can use my morning c serum and my night nag serum 2 days before and after a lactic acid peel
annacarla
5% products discount

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 am      Reply with quote
i have atopic dermatitis and Vitamin C serum irritated my skin. Made my pores look bigger and my skin a mess so I stopped and just used every lipid serum and everything went back to normal.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yoddy what percentage of C are you using? It can be very irritating. Its best to start with a low percentage and work up. MAP is a less irritating form of vitamin C. You said your skin was fine with the C serum for a while; which makes me wonder if something else is causing the problem. I'd say discontinue all of what your using besides one of the above mentioned oils. After your skin calms down you can slowly add things; and see what happens.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I am very sorry I didn't reply to the more recent posts, I didn't get any notifications and didn't know they were there sorry!
I stopped using vitamin C not long after my post (it was about 7-10%), and bought some skin actives products which helped ...a bit. Then I fell pregnant and didn't feel comfortable using those particular products (in particular the vit A cream). While I was waiting to work out what to do my sleep wrinkles were getting worse and worse. Very deep. nasty!
THEN I bought up big on a potent organic skin care line that I liked the look of and bam, two weeks later those pesky pillow wrinkles are pretty much GONE. I guess these products are really hydrating. The actual lines are very faintly still there of course, I know that you can't really remove wrinkles in 2 weeks, but the effect is so good I don't care! As I age and due to the vit c my skin must be very dry, making things much worse. This deep hydration seems to do the trick. I have tried other expensive products to no aviail. I just hope that these results I am getting dont end up in milia or something! Fingers crossed. If I dont get any reaction I'll be using thiS FOR LIFE. If I could be bothered (I can't lol) I would sell them myself. The products are by World Organics (the River Veda range specifically). It's a party plan range and may only be available in Australia and New Zealand at this stage (not sure). Anyway, just wanted to write an update for the benefit of others who may experience the same thing. You might just need much better moisturisers! Thanks very much to all those who have posted replies. I will update again if I have any adverse affects or if the benefits wear off.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |