Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do I look younger or older to some??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoftsEndz
5% products discount

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 27, darkskinned African American woman & I take really good care of my skin and for the past three years I've been using retin a and exfoliating my skin regularly

I think the hard work is paying off however there are times I wonder if most think that I am younger or older than my age

regularly I still have younger guys who notice and hit on me. some have been as young as 19 years old.

however i had a boss who asked me how old I was, because she has a hard time figuring out my age. i thought that was very weird and kinda creepy that her mind is preoccupied with how old I am.

just what does that mean? do I look ageless? do I look younger but act mature??
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well at 27 let me tell you that YOU ARE YOUNG!!! LOL. I bet this person thinks you are younger than what you are and is just jealous and probably wants you to think about your age. Perhaps make you more self conscious. I bet you look fabulous!! I wish I had started with retina-a etc at your age.

The thing is peoples perception of age now is a little more vague than it used to be.Since things like sun and skincare awareness,botox affordability and the rise of more cosmetic procedures in the last few years have increased, I find we have dug a little hole for ourselves so to speak. As we all start to look younger than what we are we a lowering the boundaries of age and age perception? Ie making ourselves to look younger than what we are do we reset the visual and aesthetic age clock, so to speak? Should we look 30 at 40? Then if I don't look 30 at 40 will someone think Im 50?!

What we do to look younger... But you know what I feel the same as you when people try to guess my age. The other day I was telling someone how they were so young, but the compliment was never returned Sad Then yesterday I buy medicine for my son who's got an Ear infection and the lady tells me I look to young to have kids whats that about? I mean I was up from 2am no makeup and look horrendous. LOL
Everyone has different perceptions of age? . Maybe people think all the time I look younger but don't say cause they don't want me to get a big head, maybe they think Im older and don't want to insult. Who knows what people are really thinking, right?
SoftsEndz
5% products discount

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
Well at 27 let me tell you that YOU ARE YOUNG!!! LOL. I bet this person thinks you are younger than what you are and is just jealous and probably wants you to think about your age. Perhaps make you more self conscious. I bet you look fabulous!! I wish I had started with retina-a etc at your age.

The thing is peoples perception of age now is a little more vague than it used to be.Since things like sun and skincare awareness,botox affordability and the rise of more cosmetic procedures in the last few years have increased, I find we have dug a little hole for ourselves so to speak. As we all start to look younger than what we are we a lowering the boundaries of age and age perception? Ie making ourselves to look younger than what we are do we reset the visual and aesthetic age clock, so to speak? Should we look 30 at 40? Then if I don't look 30 at 40 will someone think Im 50?!

What we do to look younger... But you know what I feel the same as you when people try to guess my age. The other day I was telling someone how they were so young, but the compliment was never returned Sad Then yesterday I buy medicine for my son who's got an Ear infection and the lady tells me I look to young to have kids whats that about? I mean I was up from 2am no makeup and look horrendous. LOL
Everyone has different perceptions of age? . Maybe people think all the time I look younger but don't say cause they don't want me to get a big head, maybe they think Im older and don't want to insult. Who knows what people are really thinking, right?

I'm thinking if you look young for your age people wont tell you because they probably really think you are that age

yes her comment made me VERY self conscious cause I don't know if she thinks I am too old to dress the way I do or what. It's driving me crazy. I just never had anyone say that to me before

Quote:
But you know what I feel the same as you when people try to guess my age. The other day I was telling someone how they were so young, but the compliment was never returned Sad Then yesterday I buy medicine for my son who's got an Ear infection and the lady tells me I look to young to have kids whats that about? I mean I was up from 2am no makeup and look horrendous. LOL
Everyone has different perceptions of age?

The same thing has happened to me too. I've complimented people and said "wow you look so much younger" and NEVER got a compliment back. I think its normal some people don't like giving compliments. Or they could be jealous. You most likely look very young. I notice that 40 doesn't look the way it used to. There are some 40 years old who I thought were my age.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
I can understand how your boss saying that would make you wonder. No one likes their boss asking questions that don't pertain to work. It was unprofessional of him/her to ask. Couldn't they just go to personnel and look at your application?

Sounds to me that their curiosity is so strong they acted inappropriately and asked you. And what is offensive is that they didn't consider your feelings..they'd rather have their curiosity satisfied. Rude.

In my opinion...sounds like someone who thinks you look very young for the position you hold. So they think you look younger than what you are.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Don't read too much into your boss asking you your age. He/she was probably just curious, even though it is odd to actually ask.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I would not even bother making a fuss out of it.
In my opinion, it is unethical to ask for someone's age unless it is willingly/readily given (in a conversation). Just do what you gotta do.. Taking care of yourself like what you are doing right now, will pay off big time.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |