Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

blackhead peel-off mask - my experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
A few days ago I tried one of those masks that dries on your nose and then you peel it off and the blackheads come out with it (ok, not ALL blackheads, but many). There are quite a few masks like that in Asia but in Australia the only thing we get is the Biore pore strips.

So while I was trying to figure out how to get one of these little babies I stumbled across Devina's Choice from Ireland. It's a thick gel type mask with some tea tree oil and other natural ingredients. You can use it all over your face but I plan on using it on my nose only. You have to warm it up (it solidifies) and then massage it onto your nose. Wait 1 hour for it to dry and then hold on and peel it off! Smile Ok, it's not that bad, though I'm not going to say that it's discomfort-free.... after all this thing is *STUCK* to your nose!

So, you pull it off and voila! a nice forest of blackheads on the mask. Sorry, I know that's pretty gross but it gave me an odd feeling of satisfaction to see how many blackheads I had just got rid of Smile It's very similar in result to the Biore strips (I think it's a bit better) but turns out cheaper.

To me though, much like the Biore strips, the mask is not a substitute for exfoliation. But I plan on using it every so often together with my usual skin-care routine for a bit of 'spring cleaning'.

This is the only mask of this type that I have tried (I can't get my hands on the ones sold in Asia). Are there any similar products like this one from the major brands?
patstar

Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I heard the Biore strips just make your pores bigger and so easier for dirt to get back in. Of course if this is true, it's upsetting since you have no choice but to keep using them once you've had your first try! I'm not sure if my source was reliable, but I have noticed that after using the strips, I now have more blackheads on my nose than I did before I'd ever used them. (but the forest of dirt on the strip IS satisfying)

Mabsy

Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Eeek! I hope that's not true, those peel-off masks are way too much fun to use to give them up! Sad

*hurries off to google the topic*
Mabsy

Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, looking at people's reviews of Biore strips the opinions seem to be divided. I think that the point some people are trying to make is that if you don't 'close up' your pores after using the strip then you will get bigger blackheads because you're leaving your pores wide open. Thus you end up with possibly more and bigger blackheads than you started with.

The instructions on the mask I used tell you to put a cold compress (after peeling it off) for a while to close up your pores and to use an astringent toner to close them up. It sounds like a good idea to do that after the Biore strips too. I don't know if that's enough though. Either way I've got to admit though that I skipped that step Sad
pinkmelody
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
i used to love those strips, but I found out that by peeling those "stickies" out you are actually hurting your skin cells at the same time.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
OoOOO ... I'd love to try that mask. I'd tried those Biore strips a long time ago ... I don't think they ever did much for me ... maybe I'd see 1 - 3 blackheads come out (and believe me, I had alot more).

I'd always wished they would sell a little vacuum like thing that would just suck them all out of your face! Wouldn't that be great! Of course, it would need alot of suction which probably would be bad for your skin ... but boy, that would be fun to see them all pop out! Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I got little red spider veins on the side of my nose (side of the nostrils actually) from using the mask version here in Japan. Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I came from Singapore and currently in Canada. Used peel off mask for blackheads since they first came out. There are so many brands available in Singapore, but what I realized is they work pretty much the same, for more effective removal, enlarge the pores with a warm towel. I guess it's a better alternative to squeezing.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have bought random no-name peel-off masks in China and they worked so much better than stuff like Freeman's peeling mask etc.

This one particular product I used reminded me of PVC glue, but it had no alcohol-smells like many peeling products and was very very thick, so super-easy to peel off.

The first time I had ever used that mask, the results were like WHOA. My whole face was actually brighter, probably because of all the dead skin lifting off.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
sounds very good to me..I better try it...
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I tried Biore strips when they first came out. Never got anything on them Crying or Very sad and there was plenty to work with! Rolling Eyes

Guess I'll sit over in the corner with Moonstarr and wait until someone invents that vacuum that we've been dreaming about. Wink
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
They do make a vacuum thing! It doesn't work and gives you nose hickies! Rolling Eyes I recently bought the Tweezerman tool and tried it once but it didn't work very well for me. I'm planning to try again tonight. The pore strips don't work very well on me either. I think mine are just really deep! I hardly ever get those great "solid" ones that are ready to pop right out! -Sorry, gross, I know! Silenced
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:59 am      Reply with quote
I have the Totally Juicy Taffy Pore Strip Mask.

meh, it didn't seem to work any better/different from a regualr peel off mask, even when i've tried REALLy laying it on thick.

i'm interested in trying this irish product though, it seems to be pretty reasonable online (I'm in Canada).

hmmm. ::tempted::
Mabsy

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:03 am      Reply with quote
pustekuchen wrote:

I tried this as well - didn't like it. I can't remember why anymore but I used it once and that was it.... I don't think it did much.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
i don't think biore or pore masks make pores any bigger. i have been using pore products for years and i have to say the pores on my nose have actually shrunk. the "dirt" that is in the pores aren't actually dirt, but oil that comes from within your skin. so actual dirt doesn't clog up your pores after you use biore or a pore mask.

i have tried many pore masks:

1) shiseido pureness pore mask--they discontinued it this year Mad
2) kose medicated whitening seikisho whitening mask--not as strong a peel as shiseido's but pretty good. the black color lets you see all the gunk!
3) kose pore pack mask--i forget the exact name, but it peels off too easily, haven't used it in years, not as effective
4) DHC peel-off pack--surprising very strong, rivals shiseido's--which i am so happy i found!
5) Laneige pore clear mint pack--just bought, haven't tried it yet, but i will post a review when i do
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
pustekuchen wrote:

I tried this as well - didn't like it. I can't remember why anymore but I used it once and that was it.... I don't think it did much.

yah, it's pretty much crap.

i need to try some of those other masks, maybe the DHC one...

i *heart* those blackhead thingies. it's just SO satisfying to see all that gunk pulled out of your pores.
vivienwon
5% products discount

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
I also used the Biore strips when they first came out, and according to public opinion, they work for the first one or two uses, but subsequently lose effectiveness! I think they DO damage your cells to some extent and enlarge the pores. I found my own blackheads simply getting more stubborn and deeply entrenched.

I've got really bad open pores around the nose, and another chronic problem is clogging caused by sebum buildup. I know extracting them out by squeezing damages the skin and does nothing for the collagen, but i can't think of anything else. Meanwhile, I rely on my therapist at my monthly facials to remove them, but that's excruciating pain for minimal results Mad
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
DHC peel-off pack--surprising very strong, rivals shiseido's--which i am so happy i found!

I'd like to try this. Where does everyone purchase DHC products? I see they have a website ... do you purchase directly from them or through another online seller?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
vivienwon--i buy biore strips by the bulk, and i haven't found them to lose effectiveness. i always use them right after a shower and i make sure my face is super clean and i always get strips filled with yuckies! biore strips do almost the same thing a facial extraction does (except it pulls out more including little facial hairs), so i don't see how it can lose effectiveness. i have heard that if you live in a very humid climate, they don't work as well cause they don't dry properly. i would love to get facials more often, but they cost so much! biore's are a poor person's facial Smile

Moonstarr--you should order directly from DHC cause they give free samples with every order and a lot of the times online and ebay auctions can be a lot higher than the DHC price after insane shipping charges. when you are repeat buyer buying over a certain amount, they give you a loyalty discount as well as a volume discount. i usually order for all the females in my family and extended, so we end up with massive discounts!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
oh yeah and i finally tried out Laneige pore clear mint pack, and i have to tell you, i love even more than the DHC one! it is almost like the shiseido pureness pore mask that was discontinued. except this one i think you get more for your money, as it's more than twice as big. well, i slathered it on last night after my shower, making sure my face was superclean, and waited til it dried completely, peeled it off and got so much gunk from all over my face, i was so happy!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
I got hooked on those Biore strips for a while when they came out - they'd have free samples in the teen magazines to get us addicted!!! The gel mask sounds VERY tempting...I haven't ripped open my pores in years. Wink
julliams
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I am actually convinced that those Biore strips actually just pull the tiny hairs off your nose and that is what you are actually seeing - not blackheads. There was just way too much pain when I took the strip off and felt more like I was ripping hair out.

just my 2 cents

Juliette
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I actually found one in my drawer that I totally forgot about. I, too, noticed the diminished results and lost interest in the strips but I guess there was one still lurking in my bathroom.

I decided to use this last one because they are fun and gross all at once. Well, I spent a really good amount of time with my OCM while watching CSI (almost 20-30 min). I then followed with DrHHCC and toner THEN tried the strip.

I got a lot better 'results'. I think it was the OCM just dissolved the fuglys enough for the strip to remove them more effectively. I sortof want to buy another box just to prove if I'm right or just had a good night detoxing. hehe....of course I'd like a face mask of Biore strips to use on my cheeks and chin.

5% products discount

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all Very Happy

for the peel off blackheads removal mask, i used to use japanese brand e.g. Fancl or Kanebo one in my early 20. Then, i heard from others peel off mask may be hurt skin.. so, i stopped it already.

And now just trouble on how to clear my blackheads except squeeze out... because, i will have big and red nose after squeezing ... Sad
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again lovelybabe,

I think squeezing can do more damage than using pore masks. I worry about sagging skin if i use the masks too often, so i try to limit it to once or twice a month.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |