Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Omega 3
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Totter
5% products discount

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I am looking for a good quality Omega 3 fish oil.
It seems my cholesterol is a little high (230) I started taking Red Rice Yeast today. I thought I was eating healthy but I guess I need a little extra!
Any good recipes I can use would be helpful also. Thanks

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Most people can get enough omega-3s by eating fatty fish—such as salmon and sardines, which are also low in mercury—at least twice a week.

According to ConsumerReports "But the test results revealed total PCBs in amounts that could require warning labels under California’s Proposition 65, a consumer right-to-know law, in one sample of the CVS, GNC, and Sundown products, and in two samples of Nature’s Bounty."
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Here are two premium fish oil brands:

Salmon oil: http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=126&idcategory=748

Cod liver oil: http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/CodLiverOil/index.cfm

Both of these fish oils have vitamins A and D.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Fish oil supplements are harmful and should be avoided:

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) may be dangerous to your health

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035015_PUFAs_health_fatty_acids.html#ixzz2AKxWYszA
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Puritans Pride also has a good selection. Per my cardiologits urging, I take it daily.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:02 am      Reply with quote
And she's back Bad Grin but without the Ray Peat signature!

gretchen wrote:
Fish oil supplements are harmful and should be avoided:

Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) may be dangerous to your health
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
People are starting to question omega-3 supplements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xiz8vg10zk&list=UUDxcPq0IJlkw5JM6JyDIxSQ&index=3&feature=plcp

I eliminated salmon about 6 months ago and look and feel a million times better. Regular consumption of omega 3 is unhealthy.
Totter
5% products discount

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you girls! I am hoping to get this cholesterol thing under control.

Gretchen I am glad what you are doing works for you.

For me and my house I am going to follow my doctors orders!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Totter wrote:

Gretchen I am glad what you are doing works for you.

Doctors prescribe chemo, useless drugs and all kinds of harmful treatments. Omega-3 should not be supplemented. Cholesterol isn't well understood and yes I know it increases at midlife due to hormonal factors. You probably have a thyroid issue which is the real reason your cholesterol has gone up. Coconut oil is probably a better bet than omega 3 to help boost your thyoid and also progesterone to help combat estrogen dominance which lowers thyroid. Unless you start to understand how it's all connected you won't really change anything.

Undestanding estrogen dominance & thyroid:
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2012/3/12/hashimotos-disease-excess-estrogen-in-disguise.html

Cholesterol:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cholesterol-longevity.shtml
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Gretchen: I prefer natural sources in food that have these.... However, if I am not getting enough Omega in my diet, I would also opt for Omega supplements as long as it is just enough levels for my body that I consume and okayed by my doctor. Always in moderation is the key to everything and I don't believe that it is bad for you when consume in moderate levels, either natural sources or supplements....
gretchen wrote:

Totter: Follow your doctor's recommendation, she knows best regarding your overall health. However, have few suggestions:- try avoiding all fried/greasy foods is a good start to keep your cholesterol in normal levels and opt for baked/steamed foods using a little bit of Olive oil. Olive oil is a good fat to eat. Lots of green/colorful vegies, fresh fruits are all important to keep you in check. Avoid those sugared goodies if possible.... Doing regular exercises that you like to do will control your cholesterol levels as long as you don't eat heavily after a good workout.... I hope this helps.....

Totter wrote:
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Gretchen: I prefer natural sources in food that have these.... However, if I am not getting enough Omega in my diet, I would also opt for Omega supplements as long as it is just enough levels for my body that I consume and okayed by my doctor. Always in moderation is the key to everything and I don't believe that it is bad for you when consume in moderate levels, either natural sources or supplements....
gretchen wrote:

Totter: Follow your doctor's recommendation, she knows best regarding your overall health. However, have few suggestions:- try avoiding all fried/greasy foods is a good start to keep your cholesterol in normal levels and opt for baked/steamed foods using a little bit of Olive oil. Olive oil is a good fat to eat. Lots of green/colorful vegies, fresh fruits are all important to keep you in check. Avoid those sugared goodies if possible.... Doing regular exercises that you like to do will control your cholesterol levels as long as you don't eat heavily after a good workout.... I hope this helps.....

Totter wrote:

We don't need to supplement omega 3; it isn't "essential" as we've been told by marketers whose whole intention is to make money.

No, olive oil isn't healthy either; it's quite fattening and has a negative effect on metabolism due to its PUFA content. Vegetables aren't that great either; they are essentially a poverty food. Vegetables also have nothing to do with lowering cholesterol nor does olive oil.

Olive oil can cause weight gain
http://books.google.com/books?id=XHlJMN2dfUkC&pg=PT246&dq=olive+oil+stored+as+fat+eat+fat+lose+fat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nRmUUNPnGIvYigLQ9oDgDQ&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=olive%20oil%20&f=false

Vegetables Etc- Who Defines Food?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vegetables.shtml
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:10 am      Reply with quote
You are entitle to your own opinions, as well as as I am entitle to mine because whatever you eat or do is your choice because it is your body, not mine. I rest my case on this issue.

gretchen wrote:
We don't need to supplement omega 3; it isn't "essential" as we've been told by marketers whose whole intention is to make money. No, olive oil isn't healthy either; it's quite fattening and has a negative effect on metabolism due to its PUFA content. Vegetables aren't that great either; they are essentially a poverty food. Vegetables also have nothing to do with lowering cholesterol nor does olive oil.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
You are entitle to your own opinions, as well as as I am entitle to mine because whatever you eat or do is your choice because it is your body, not mine. I rest my case on this issue.

gretchen wrote:
We don't need to supplement omega 3; it isn't "essential" as we've been told by marketers whose whole intention is to make money. No, olive oil isn't healthy either; it's quite fattening and has a negative effect on metabolism due to its PUFA content. Vegetables aren't that great either; they are essentially a poverty food. Vegetables also have nothing to do with lowering cholesterol nor does olive oil.

It's not my personal opinion, my belief is based off the work of a serious researcher/biologist. In any case, if you want to get old and fat, take fish oil.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
As I said earlier, I prefer the natural oil from "baked" salmon (or sardines or mackerel, etc) that has omega's. I don't take fish oil supplements at all, unless okayed by my doctor.
And I don't believe that people here who take fish oil either, as diet pill supplements or by natural sources, are old and fat either. This is only your imagination and unfounded as well.

gretchen wrote:
It's not my personal opinion, my belief is based off the work of a serious researcher/biologist. In any case, if you want to get old and fat, take fish oil.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
As I said earlier, I prefer the natural oil from "baked" salmon (or sardines or mackerel, etc) that has omega's. I don't take fish oil supplements at all, unless okayed by my doctor.
And I don't believe that people here who take fish oil either, as diet pill supplements or by natural sources, are old and fat either. This is only your imagination and unfounded as well.

gretchen wrote:

Actually Very Happy there is a thread on this forum about the possible connection between fish oil and weight gain:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6457518
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
These are views of some people, not a scientific research by a large group under medical supervision....... and PLEASE not all people who take this fish oil or related fish supplements are old and fat as you said which I find unfounded and untrue. As I said, you have your opinion and I have mine. If you don't wish to take fish oil or any Omega's that is your choice for your health and well-being... It is not mine I am afraid. Give it a rest, will you?

gretchen wrote:
jade-1234 wrote:

gretchen wrote:

Actually Very Happy there is a thread on this forum about the possible connection between fish oil and weight gain:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6457518
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Omega 3's are an important part of health AND beauty. There are 100's of studies which detail the benefits of Omega 3's and several published studies have confirmed benefits to the skin, hair AND weigh loss. More recent studies have also indicated that fish oil protects against UV radiation - reducing the skins response to both UVA and UVB. I also believe that fish oil is superior to flax oil in that it has been shown to raise the body level of EPA and DHA (these are responsible for most of the positive effects). Not to take anything away from plant forms as they are still advantageous but from all I know fish oil is the gold standard.

I am trim, and my skin and hair are very healthy - I have been taking fish oil longer than it was popular. It made my hair nicer - less dry and tended to grow in a better way. My skin is clear and I feel like it helps in clarity for me.
In America, physicians are not trained in supplementation nor in matters of vitamins, minerals etc. If they do know something about the subject it is because they chose to educate themselves, not because they are doctors as it is not a part of a medical school curriculum. In America the average physician is not educated to dictate supplementation advice. I'd see a naturopath or a nutritionist or a dietition for better guidance in that way. Some physicians will give advice about vitamins etc but they don't tend to know more than the average semi-educated consumer. (Consumer beware and be educated).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Thank you sister sweets for clarifying the matter on this subject, much appreciated Smile

sister sweets wrote:
Omega 3's are an important part of health AND beauty. There are 100's of studies which detail the benefits of Omega 3's and several published studies have confirmed benefits to the skin, hair AND weigh loss. More recent studies have also indicated that fish oil protects against UV radiation - reducing the skins response to both UVA and UVB. I also believe that fish oil is superior to flax oil in that it has been shown to raise the body level of EPA and DHA (these are responsible for most of the positive effects). Not to take anything away from plant forms as they are still advantageous but from all I know fish oil is the gold standard.

I am trim, and my skin and hair are very healthy - I have been taking fish oil longer than it was popular. It made my hair nicer - less dry and tended to grow in a better way. My skin is clear and I feel like it helps in clarity for me.
In America, physicians are not trained in supplementation nor in matters of vitamins, minerals etc. If they do know something about the subject it is because they chose to educate themselves, not because they are doctors as it is not a part of a medical school curriculum. In America the average physician is not educated to dictate supplementation advice. I'd see a naturopath or a nutritionist or a dietition for better guidance in that way. Some physicians will give advice about vitamins etc but they don't tend to know more than the average semi-educated consumer. (Consumer beware and be educated).
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
The mainstream media has finally reported the connection between fish oil and cancer:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julie-chen-md/fish-oil_b_1886796.html

Also, the original studies showing the "essentialness" of omega 3s were bogus:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturatedfats.shtml

And yes, unsaturated fats will slow your metabolism and age you:
With aging, the highly peroxidizable fatty acids[including omega 3s like fish oil], arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid, increase greatly in a variety of tissues, and lipid peroxidation increases with aging. Peroxidation slows mitochondrial respiration, lowering the metabolic rate. Caloric restriction slows the accumulation of the highly unsaturated fatty acids in mitochondria, and reduces peroxidation.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
The mainstream media has finally reported the connection between fish oil and cancer:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julie-chen-md/fish-oil_b_1886796.html

Also, the original studies showing the "essentialness" of omega 3s were bogus:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/unsaturatedfats.shtml

And yes, unsaturated fats will slow your metabolism and age you:
With aging, the highly peroxidizable fatty acids[including omega 3s like fish oil], arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid, increase greatly in a variety of tissues, and lipid peroxidation increases with aging. Peroxidation slows mitochondrial respiration, loweing the metabolic rate. Caloric restriction slows the accumulation of the highly unsaturated fatty acids in mitochondria, and reduces peroxidation.

The Huffington Post is your reference. Are you kidding? These sources are not juried nor would be considered valid in any medical or University context.
Plus you contradict yourself with this thread with your views on Cod liver oil in another thread. Please note cod-liver oil contains large quantities of omega-3 fatty acids, as well as vitamins A, D. Omega-3 fatty acids in whatever supplement are helpful in the prevention of heart disease, acne, aging. Also, omega-3 is touted as beneficial to those with arthritis, depression and poor bone health. Cod-liver oil is a good source of omega-3. -

I won't be responding anymore.

You're welcome Jade.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
With all due respect, the truth about fish oil is only beginning to be revealed. It appears the whole thing has been one big marketing scam.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Totter, just got back from my cardiologist appt. to follow up on my cholesterol battle. It is down but a ways to go.
Losing weight, working out and I had added extra fiber to my diet which works sort of like a natural filter to help. But the main thing is to continue doing what I am doing and yes, taking Omega 3. He is firm on that and he just shook his head when I mentioned the "claims" here.
So, make up your own mind and of course do due diligence.
But on that note, lets also be respectful here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Totter wrote:
It seems my cholesterol is a little high (230) I started taking Red Rice Yeast today. I thought I was eating healthy but I guess I need a little extra!

Adding Policosanol to the red rice yeast, niacin and Omega 3's is another suggestion for supplementation aimed at decreasing cholesterol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Another suggestion Totter is to include flax seeds into your diet. Flax seeds are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and can help lower your high cholesterol.

Available in any supermarkets or health-food shops. Buy them "not grinded and totally sealed" so you know that the flax seeds are "fresh" and always check for expiry date (important!).... You can put this in the refrigerator to prolong shelf life.

Easiest thing to do is to put flax seeds in any soups, sprinkle on green salads, or mix in your steamed long-grain brown rice, or if you can not resist sweet treats, you can incorporate flax seeds into the cookie mixture. Possibilities to incorporate in your diet are endless as flax seeds don't have any taste at all.... What do you think? Smile
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Totter wrote:

I also was looking for a good quality Omega 3 fish oil. Not for any specific reason but thought it was a good idea since I limit my fish eating with the concern over mercury.
Anyway, I chose Wild Alaska Salmon Oil, 1000mg, soft gels. Info I found was that it was the least contaminated. I took it for a few days, then stopped. I figured I shouldn't take any supplements unless I had a blood test to determine if in fact I had an Omega 3 deficiency. Never did that, though. Just wanted to share....

hate to throw media reference into the discussion above
but found this today and thought it interesting:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578030391175619824.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |