Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Dermapen – value?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:29 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I've used the my-m a handful of times, and I think it is becoming less effective. Although it is a plug in device, last time I used it, it seemed as though it were a device with batteries losing power.

Wink

Catski- are you reusing the same needle cartridge? If you are maybe the needles are getting dull and it is having a harder time piercing the skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I used my-m twice so far. First time using longer lengths, 1.5 +, second time .5 - 1mm mainly except around lips 1.5 which is my other area of great improvement. I have a parenthesis line around one side of my lips that has been there for years that is now only visible dynamically. I have concentrated on this and lip lines to great effect. I do think I spend more time going over my areas of concern than other people though. When I heard people were just making four passes or so I was surprised. In areas with wrinkles or scars I would pass over them more in the realm of 10-15 times (though I don't count).
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Finally got the dang pen from ebay to work last night long enough to do a treatment.

This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-SKINCARE-Rechargeable-battery-Auto-Derma-Micro-Needle-Stamp-0-25mm-2-0mm-/271259420360?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item3f285246c8

Its a fiddly thing and sometimes it works, plugged in, sometimes not. It does not seem to be rechargeable since I had it plugged in overnight and today it does not work if not plugged in. Blah. Not as advertised, so I really dont even trust this device.

I used it on 1mm "high" setting and my skin got pink but never bled. I did small circles and 4 passes each direction in a "hatchmark" fashion all over my face. Applied ACE Oil afterward, did not use EMLA or wine! Today my skin is like nothing ever happened. No pinkness, swelling, pin points of blood ... nothing to suggest I ever did a treatment! WTH? I wanna BLEED!

Plan: to do another treatment in 30 days at 2mm setting (using a new needle cartridge each time) with this thing just to give it a good trial. IF its working then. In between, starting in 7 days Ill use it on the 0.3mm setting for PP and not use anti-inflammatory products until then. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 am      Reply with quote
So you're not going to ask for refund or replacement, even though it does not work as advertised? I must be a tougher customer than you!

It's possible that your device just doesn't have the power to penetrate into the skin deeply enough. Which may or may not be helped by using longer lengths.

I even got my husband looking pretty swollen on 1mm with My-M. However, as I said, around his wrinkly areas, such as eyes, forehead, I made quite a few passes. I am not encouraging everyone to do the same (although I think James mentioned something about 12-14 passes over particular spots) so I don't think what I am doing is so out there.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Im going to give it a fair trial before asking for refund. Clearly, its not "as advertised" since its not rechargeable, but thats not my gripe really, its the willy/nilly performance of it.

And it did penetrate well enough to make my hand bleed - just not my face. Overall, Im not pleased with it, would not recommend and would not repurchase. Havent heard from the vendor either, so would not recommend this vendor. They seem to go under various names like "gifts2shop" and "giftstoyourdoor" but its the same device AFAIK.

Still, its easier to use a pen than a roller for me all over the face. Guess I have a small face!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 am      Reply with quote
It seems now we are seeing that it's hit and miss with these "Over The Counter" devices...some of the My-Ms and other brands seem to work, but only sporadically or not effectively enough for our purposes.

I hope we hear back from James as to whether their device (presumably a higher quality build back by a warranty) will be made available to consumers.

BFG
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Until we hear back from James, is there any OTC pen device that is recommended as of yet?

Eta: Bellus site is still not open.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:15 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Im going to give it a fair trial before asking for refund. Clearly, its not "as advertised" since its not rechargeable, but thats not my gripe really, its the willy/nilly performance of it.

And it did penetrate well enough to make my hand bleed - just not my face. Overall, Im not pleased with it, would not recommend and would not repurchase. Havent heard from the vendor either, so would not recommend this vendor. They seem to go under various names like "gifts2shop" and "giftstoyourdoor" but its the same device AFAIK.

Still, its easier to use a pen than a roller for me all over the face. Guess I have a small face!

Yep. Disappointing about the lack of response. I hope it is just because of the weekend. Thankfully you bought from a vendor with very good feedback scores. Companies like this take their feedback very seriously, as it has a huge impact on their selling power. I would certainly use this as my bargaining tool for satisfaction. Knowing that your honest feedback will effect their scores should have them offering full refund or replacement (your choice). Those ominous words 'Item did not work as described' will strike the fear into any serious ebay seller, and this seller is pretty big, and has a great score.

When buying skin care tools, even Chinese ones, I try to stick to companies that deal with these items exclusively, and have a long track record of 98% satisfaction or above. If it deals in huge amounts of products per month a little more leeway is given, just because of the huge volume making it difficult to make everyone happy (say 97-98%), but smaller companies shifting less than a hundred should be closer to 99% I think. The score says a lot about how the company handles your issue should one arise.

I'm sure you know all this Fawnie. Just including this general info for those that have not used ebay much. Without knowing a few simple checks to do on the seller, disappointment is inevitable at some point (and happens to most of us).

I hope your next try is more successful!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't think we have very many choices...right now, although I expect this to be changing.

I've used my My-M 3 or 4 times with success, but in no way would I consider it a device that appears to be well made or long lasting, just crossing my fingers for now.

BFG
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your feedback!

Has anyone tried to contact the Bellus site re:SkinPen lately?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:58 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
catski wrote:
I've used the my-m a handful of times, and I think it is becoming less effective. Although it is a plug in device, last time I used it, it seemed as though it were a device with batteries losing power.

Wink

Catski- are you reusing the same needle cartridge? If you are maybe the needles are getting dull and it is having a harder time piercing the skin.

Thanks for the thought, Cookie, no, I use a new cartridge each time.. Wink
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am      Reply with quote
This is the msg I rec'd from "John" when I contacted the Bellus info link:

"It is currently available for immediate shipment. The cost is $2995.00. The individual replaceable heads are $25 each. I can help you with your purchase, if you like???"

So, for me, not a reasonable price.

Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
This is the msg I rec'd from "John" when I contacted the Bellus info link:

"It is currently available for immediate shipment. The cost is $2995.00. The individual replaceable heads are $25 each. I can help you with your purchase, if you like???"

So, for me, not a reasonable price.

Sad

That's ridiculously high price!

fawnie, I thought u bought a German motor pen from ebay or did you cancel your purchase? Thank you
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Daler, yes I did buy the ebay one (see my post from 0939 this morning above). Im looking for a different one, providing the ebay seller refunds my money.

Dunno what spa prices are like in your area, peeps, but look at what TX spa is charging for a DermaPen tx:

http://www.ovationmedspa.com/med-spa-skin-rejuvenation-houston/dermapen/dermapen-pricing/

$600 for face/neck/chest?? wth?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Fawnie,

If you do a quick search here, you'll find a list of known pen devices (we keep discovering new ones). We've contacted some of the manufacturers - such as Rejuvapen, to find one that might be sold through other than medspa channels...

You might have some luck contacting them to see if they're now willing. It's been awhile since I tried contacting some of them and I have not tried contacting all of them.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Rejuvapen won't sell to consumers...I just talked to them 2 weeks ago.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Daler, yes I did buy the ebay one (see my post from 0939 this morning above). Im looking for a different one, providing the ebay seller refunds my money.

Dunno what spa prices are like in your area, peeps, but look at what TX spa is charging for a DermaPen tx:

http://www.ovationmedspa.com/med-spa-skin-rejuvenation-houston/dermapen/dermapen-pricing/

ah sorry, I dont receive updates from threads everytime, I guess its has got something to do with my hotmail... anyways, may be it was fake n not the real thing.. several years ago I bought some lancome creams via ebay n they were totally fake, I got my refund though and now I really dont trust ebay, amazon is different though.

I believe spas would charge $600 per treatment, hell they charge $150 for a mere facial!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I paid $300 for a Dermapen treatment at a local medspa. I could have accomplished the same thing at home for free using my .25mm Dr. Roller.

The problem was convincing them to adjust the device for longer needle lengths. I think they're afraid of drawing blood in a spa setting.

I think Panda1 has received treatments with the DermaPen where they used the longer length.

BFG
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

I think my derm charges the same. I looked into doing the Dermapen with PRP and she wanted a lot more (don't remember how much) but she recommends doing a series of 3 with PRP instead of 6 with just the Dermapen alone. Either way it was a ton of money and I just decided to do it at home.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, sorry to disappoint Daler,but amazon is rife with fake copies of popular expensive cosmetics, worse still amazon conceals the problem by making it next to impossible to write a review uncovering a fake product. I bought 3 touché éclat, from 3 sellers on amazon because it was such a saving from dept store prices, only to find that each was completely fake. I have bought the product for years so had the real ones to compare. Cheap photocopied inserts, different length brush and shape to the'pen'. Not to mention the cheap eye watering fragrance that isn't in the original. And that is without discussing the waxy product. People who had never used the real thing because of expense were giving it five stars and raving, I guess because they expected such results from years of top reviews, and also because they had no idea what the real product was like.

Now,I spent days wrestling with amazon to get my review saying the product was fake up. Apparently they don't allow that word, even if it is true. I had pictures comparing the real product with the fake, and even going right up the ladder, I had to keep changing my review about 30 times and it would still get knocked back. Phone call after phone call, eventually I got an altered review up, but when I copied it for the other two vendors who also sold fakes, I was sent through the same process. I did not have another two days to spend on amazon. It seems all these sites for selling are to protect vendors no matter how unscrupulous, and they don't care who gets ripped off,so long as they don't find out. Any time you see a popular product whose price has been the same for years suddenly far less on amazon or eBay, be wary. You will see plenty of reports of other fake cosmetics sold on amazon,invariably from someone who has bought the product from a verified outlet before.

Btw I got refunded by the sellers all pretending not to have noticed they had fakes, but amazon took no action against the sellers. Sound familiar?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have also had issues with various sellers on Amazon. However, I have not when it is being sold by Amazon as the actual seller.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Good point Bethany. Unfortunately the vast majority of products available there are through another vendor, and Amazon does protect them. They will do nothing about a seller of fake goods. The one who sold to me is still up and despite amazons faux concern, they did nothing to address it. There are now even more sellers of $19 touché éclat, doing quite the trade I see, though I am not the only dissatisfied customer. It should be illegal you'd think, but the almighty dollar rules, and amazon still have the reputation I and Daler believed in. Despite the fact that the same Chinese ebayers sell there.

The thing to take from it: always check seller ratings here too, where they are based etc, and a careful perusal of reviews. The slightest whisper of 'not the same as the one from my derms' or worse'i was sent a counterfeit', look elsewhere. On well known brands, if it sounds too good to be true...
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Idealist wrote:

Btw I got refunded by the sellers all pretending not to have noticed they had fakes, but amazon took no action against the sellers. Sound familiar?

Sad ok ; I no longer buy expensive skincare ( got the DIY bug), sunblock is an exception... so yea may be amazon has fake cosmetics too and more...

Amazon did take action n got me refunded for a sunblock which gave me rash in 2 days, seller refused to do so, and I really appreciated amazon siding with me. Also, Amazon said that they never give out credit card info to any sellers n act as the middle man.

Also, mostly when I buy items for amazon, they come from amazon itself as the actual seller, n like bethnay said they r issue free, at least so far..

amazon has an A to Z guarantee prgm, following is link if someone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=537868

I dont work for amazon Wink
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have bought stuff direct from amazon which was fake, been refunded, but not had my review telling the truth published.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I have bought stuff direct from amazon which was fake, been refunded, but not had my review telling the truth published.

Disappointing on both fronts.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |