Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Isotrex gel users?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lindsay123
5% products discount

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Long time lurker first time poster, hello forum. Are there any Isotrex gel users here? I did a quick search and found a few people mentioning it but no real user comments. After struggling with acne only on my forehead since May'ish (and nothing else solving it - antibiotic lotion, bp, paula's bha etc) my gp prescribed me with Isotrex gel. I must confess i am a little bit of a skincare noob when i comes to the serious science stuff, but it's essentially a retinoid. Some people seem to say it's stronger than something like retin-a, others say it has less irritation (google is not your friend when it comes to this).

So are there any users here? What is the difference between something like isotrex and say, retin-a?

I've been having mixed results with it, 3 weeks in. For the first week i only applied it to a few areas of my forehead that were experiencing the worst acne, and for the last two weeks i've started to cover more areas. I've found it not bad in tackling active acne, but unfortunately not knowing about retinoids i did it NIGHTLY (my gp actually said to use it twice a day haha, can you believe it?!). Is there essentially a delayed reaction to this? Because over this weekend i got major stinging and burning (i'd had stinging before, but not like this), as well as dry skin that no matter how much wmu oil i used still remained dry. Horrible. I'm guessing the sensible thing to do is stop the gel for a few days and see if it calms down? Patience and suffering from acne do no go well together!

Finally, isotrex has ethanol in it. Is this common for retinoids? I know it essentially comes down to needing a carrier so it dissolves and doesn't sit on the skin, but should i still be worried? I know that ethanol and alcohol are just no-no's when it comes to skincare and i've always avoided it.

Oh, and this might be a silly question, but luckily i'm working at just now and the days are getting pretty dark - do i still need to wear a sunscreen if i'm not really going outside and using the gel? I'm guessing probably but sunscreens break me out like crazy.

Long topic, so sorry, but i appreciate any feedback / chat.

Lindsay x
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 am      Reply with quote
lindsay123 wrote:

So are there any users here? What is the difference between something like isotrex and say, retin-a?

Some good info here
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/42828-tretininoin-vs-topical-isotretinoin/

lindsay123 wrote:

I've been having mixed results with it, 3 weeks in. For the first week i only applied it to a few areas of my forehead that were experiencing the worst acne, and for the last two weeks i've started to cover more areas. I've found it not bad in tackling active acne, but unfortunately not knowing about retinoids i did it NIGHTLY (my gp actually said to use it twice a day haha, can you believe it?!). Is there essentially a delayed reaction to this? Because over this weekend i got major stinging and burning (i'd had stinging before, but not like this), as well as dry skin that no matter how much wmu oil i used still remained dry. Horrible. I'm guessing the sensible thing to do is stop the gel for a few days and see if it calms down? Patience and suffering from acne do no go well together!

Your dr should have told you to start off slow 1-2 nights a week or every second night.OMG I cant believe he would tell you twice a day?? Mad This is pretty strong stuff, so yes, stop it 'till your skin goes back to normal and re-introduce it very slowly and a teeny amount(pea size), even though its a hard one to spread. The ethanol makes it a drying product, not sure if its in all retinoids, cant answer that sorry, but even more reason to go slow. The ethanol may help dry pimples so because this is more of an anti acne product perhaps thats why they use it.
lindsay123 wrote:
Oh, and this might be a silly question, but luckily i'm working at just now and the days are getting pretty dark - do i still need to wear a sunscreen if i'm not really going outside and using the gel? I'm guessing probably but sunscreens break me out like crazy.

Long topic, so sorry, but i appreciate any feedback / chat.

Lindsay x

Yes sunscreen is a MUST .That's is the next morning apply it, even if you dont stay outdoors lfor too long. You should only be using this at night and sunscreen the next day.Have you tried a zinc based sunscreen?. I used burnout and I dont get any breakouts.

Overall I found Isotrex great for my breakouts, better than retina-a. However I found that being a gel form it doesn't sit well if you use other products with it. It balls up. So you need to use it alone on clean skin before you go to bed. Sometimes putting it on damp skin helped, even though they say retinoids shuld be apllied at least 30 min after cleansing. I just put a couple drops of water in my palm.

Now I use retin a for a combo of acne and anti ageing. Once my skin calmed down from all the breakouts I started to use this as I liked the idea of using other products or layering. I know many retinoid users say not to use other products with it but since I have built up to ,mostly , a night routine I find it works well for the dryness and peeling to do so. I use retin-a and layer it with some moisturiser about an hour later to curb that peeling and dryness. I even use other products about 30 min before I apply it. For me it works well, and I love using all my products too Very Happy

Good luck and start off slow. Not sure what dose you started at?? I stared with 0.05% and I wouldnt recommend stronger, if it comes stronger that is, to start off with.
lindsay123
5% products discount

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your reply! It's so great to get some information from someone who has used it and not just internet conjecture. I've found dealing with my forehead acne isolating enough Crying or Very sad

Thank you for all that information. I hadn't come across those studies before - very interesting, especially those about sun damage and the effect on the viable epidermis. Definitely encouraging!

I am pretty furious at my doctor actually. I feel like calling him up and shouting a bit, but i doubt that would really do any good. I have completely stopped using the gel. The last night i used it was Sunday and since then all i've used on my forehead has been a peter thomas roth foaming cleanser (no soap / sulphates / fragrance) and smothering myself in emu oil. It feels much less inflamed today although i still get twinges of stinging - but not burning. My skin is actually looking not bad considering. I'll give it a few more days and see how it feels and then start again. My forehead has become incredibly sensitive over the past 4 or 5 months (i'm not sure why), but like you say, only 2 nights a week or so should hopefully be tolerable. I've heard people talk about buffering with retinoids? Is that essentially applying some (like emu oil) first and then the gel / cream? I'll maybe do that. Although..., i've heard emu oil is a carrier so maybe i don't want to use that, ugh!

I must start using a sunscreen then. I haven't used a zinc based one before, no. But i've heard they tend to sit on the surface? I'll look into them though. I think i have a Paula's Choice sample kicking around somewhere i can probably start using straight away.

How long did you find it took for Isotrex to tackle your breakouts? I suppose it must be different for everyone / severity etc. Did you find that the Isotrex also dealt with skin texture too? My breakouts have subsided recently but the texture of my skin is a bit 'ruddy' (but not red), and uneven in places (worst when you catch it in certain light).

I hope i can get to stage of just using it for 'maintenance' and then get back to using a few more products. Until i'm clear (acne and texture problems) i'm thinking to keep it simple.

I'm on the 0.05%! I'm not sure if there is anything higher but this is powerful enough, yep. I don't think i realised a tiny bit of gel could do so much to your skin...

Thanks again for the info and your time. I'm glad isotrex worked for you / now retin a Smile
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I was on isotrex for a couple months. It took about a month for breakouts to subside. My skin suffers from breakouts but I don't have cystic acne and the like. It's more breakout prone and lots of blackheads (congestion etc). The isotrex helped stop breakouts so I suppose no breakouts then better skin right? I cant say it improved skin texture as things like retinoids sometimes take a longtime to see those sort of benefits. So your skin may look worse before it looks better. But having said that you need to be careful redness, peeling, stinging etc is not due to going to hard, too much , too often and at the wrong times and wrong wait times between applications with other products. The key is using this stuff sparingly and properly. Also the gels are stronger than the creams.

I've been on retina-a for about 7 months now and sometimes I still get dryness and peeling if Ive gone too far. That's when I skip a day or two. Some people find their skin starts to tolerate it only after years of using it. But my skin has definitely become more sensitive due to using both products.It does thin the skin a bit, so thats why sunscreen is sooo important the next day. Especially if you are getting uneven skin tone, could be from sunlight as this stuff makes your skin sensitive to it.

Findng a zinc based sunscreen was so hard for me. Yes they do tend to sit on top rather than absorb, since they are a physical, not a chemical barrier. But what I love about it is that it also curbs my oily T-zone. I find I don't get as oily skin by using it because of it. So that's a Big plus for me. You need to experiment and try a few to see what works. So far my fave is burnout, the kids one. Also Invisible zinc ESP one (not tinted ones as they are awful) are my faves. Many people on here also recommend devita ( I havnt used it though, so can't comment). It does take a bit of getting used to but now I love it and would never use a chemical sunscreen again. I even mix a little of my foundation with it too.

Buffering is good, personally I love argan oil. It's the only one I don't get breakouts with. I've read that emu oil before acts as a buffer, emu oil after enhances penetration...then I've read the opposite, as you say.Sometimes its all a little confusing so we need to give ourselves time to experiment and see what works for us.
Goodluck Smile
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I was on isotrex for a couple months. It took about a month for breakouts to subside. My skin suffers from breakouts but I don't have cystic acne and the like. It's more breakout prone and lots of blackheads (congestion etc). The isotrex helped stop breakouts so I suppose no breakouts then better skin right? I cant say it improved skin texture as things like retinoids sometimes take a longtime to see those sort of benefits. So your skin may look worse before it looks better. But having said that you need to be careful redness, peeling, stinging etc is not due to going to hard, too much , too often and at the wrong times and wrong wait times between applications with other products. The key is using this stuff sparingly and properly. Also the gels are stronger than the creams.

I've been on retina-a for about 7 months now and sometimes I still get dryness and peeling if Ive gone too far. That's when I skip a day or two. Some people find their skin starts to tolerate it only after years of using it. But my skin has definitely become more sensitive due to using both products.It does thin the skin a bit, so thats why sunscreen is sooo important the next day. Especially if you are getting uneven skin tone, could be from sunlight as this stuff makes your skin sensitive to it.

Findng a zinc based sunscreen was so hard for me. Yes they do tend to sit on top rather than absorb, since they are a physical, not a chemical barrier. But what I love about it is that it also curbs my oily T-zone. I find I don't get as oily skin by using it because of it. So that's a Big plus for me. You need to experiment and try a few to see what works. So far my fave is burnout, the kids one. Also Invisible zinc ESP one (not tinted ones as they are awful) are my faves. Many people on here also recommend devita ( I havnt used it though, so can't comment). It does take a bit of getting used to but now I love it and would never use a chemical sunscreen again. I even mix a little of my foundation with it too.

Buffering is good, personally I love argan oil. It's the only one I don't get breakouts with. I've read that emu oil before acts as a buffer, emu oil after enhances penetration...then I've read the opposite, as you say.Sometimes its all a little confusing so we need to give ourselves time to experiment and see what works for us.
Goodluck I know how frustrating breakout prone skin can be. hang in there Smile
lindsay123
5% products discount

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I thought i would come back here as it's been over a month since i started this topic about the Isotrex gel (0.05%) - the prescribed retinoid in the UK for acne. I had some burning and major stinging when i started using this out the box every night, and if i hadn't then learned the pitfalls of retinoid i would probably have stopped for good. I stopped completely for a week and only used emu oil which settled my skin, and then for three weeks used it every third night a week, then for two weeks i used it every second night. For the last week and a bit i have been using it every night. In the evening i wash my face (phillip thomas roth cleanser - the soap, sulphate and fragrance free one), then use a little moisturiser (Aveeno with shea butter), wait a full hour since the Aveeno is on the heavy side, and then finally add a pea sized amount of the gel before bad. I now get zero stinging or burning. I'm also experiencing no real redness and hardly any peeling (weird). So that's great, i know, but my acne feels mostly unchanged. Some areas have got a little better, others have got worse, while other areas got better, got worse, and then got better again (what an emotional roller coaster). There are areas i thought the retinoid had cleared the gunk out of, only to clog up again a week/few days later. I am still breaking out in a few places but not in a crazy way with lots and lots of whiteheads or anything severe (though i do have a very LARGE red stubborn pimple that looks like a red bean on my face for 5 days now Sad). The areas i'm breaking out are my 'problem areas', or at least round those areas, and where i've had recurring acne / congested skin previously. So...

Am i still not giving this enough time? Is this the sliver of hope i can take out of my experience so far? I'm guessing that using it every third evening for 3 weeks and then every second for 2 (and now every night for 1.5 weeks), AND buffering each time isn't the most urgent or attacking schedule to take, and that the studies showing effectiveness were done by every evening with no moisturiser. ...Right? I have some quick questions for retinoid users (i know everyone is different but there must be a little continuity between us!):

I am using this for acne, so does this mean that while i may be able to mitigate the burning / peeling etc by building up tolerance and using a moisturiser, i cannot however avoid the purging / breaking out? I am breaking out in the areas that have been very clogged and congested, so that would make a little sense (maybe? it would allow me to be a bit positive too). For acne, is frequency and consistency (everyday if tolerated) key?

Should i be experiencing some peeling besides some flakes, or is that fine? I'm wondered whether i'm maybe using too little of the gel. I'm also wondering if i should slowly cut down on the moisturiser to the point i don't use any (or at least play it how my skins feels, so to speak).

When people talk about 8-12 weeks, should that be something i really begin to start the clock with when i start using it every evening rather than every 3rd etc?

It's hard to stay positive just now because i'm feeling pretty helpless in relation to my skin - it's almost 2 steps forward and then 1.5 back. I know i shouldn't throw the towel in yet because of the time i've been using it. I'm also trying to not be tempted to try anything else or add other elements to my regime (i've been reading about African black soap etc). Anyway, if you've made it this far WELL DONE, and thank you (really, thank you) for any information!

Lindsay x
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi lindsay123 - welcome to the forum! I have been battling acne for 35 years Crying or Very sad and so I know how frustrating, embarrassing, and heart breaking it can be. I have been using Retin a and/or Tazorac (never tried Isotrex gel although I would imagine that it works in a similar way to Retin a or Tazorac) for the better part of 10 years and have learned a few things along the way. I have found that anything with shea butter is not my friend as it clogs my pores and exacerbates my acne. I have also found that in the beginning it is best to use your retinoid unbuffered on clean, dry skin if at all possible. If you can't use it every night this way then it is fine to start off using it every second or third night until you can work up to every night. If you absolutely must use a moisturizer, I would find a very basic one with as few ingredients as possible, and don't apply it for at least one hour after your retinoid gel. I like Cerave lotion-works well for me and does not feel heavy on my skin. When you are using a retinoid you have to be very careful with what else you use on your skin as products that you were able to use before may now be irritating or aggravate your acne. I have finally found a routine that keeps my skin clear 95% of the time. I cleanse with Spectro-Jel twice a day. At night I use Paula's choice makeup remover, and then the SJ with a micro fiber cloth, very gently, to finish cleansing my skin. I then apply my retin a .05%. I don't wait the suggested 20 minutes as I don't find it makes any difference, although I would not recommend this when just starting out. In the morning I wash with the SJ using just my fingers. I then apply my moisturizer around my eyes and mouth and then my sunscreen. I use LovelySkin.com tinted sunscreen SPF 30, which is a physical not a chemical sunscreen. If your skin does NOT like silicone's I wouldn't recommend this one, but for me it works great. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to get my thoughts out there as I definitely know the battle with acne can be a long and tough road. I hope you find some of this info helpful. Cathryn.

5% products discount

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Hey Cathryn. Thank you for the reply, and for the welcome. I've not posted much here but i've spent HOURS reading up on products / information etc, from all the threads! I think frustrating, embarrassing, and heart breaking is probably the best way to describe it, yes. Puzzlingly my acne is only confined to my forehead and seems to have been triggered by 'relationship stress' (aka, break up) back in April. I never thought something like that could happen!? I think i wasted perhaps too much time on the natural trying to fix it (honey, cod liver oil, acv etc), when i should have gone straight to the doctor. Oh well.

Yes, Isotrex gel works in a pretty much identical way but i believe it has to go one more step in the process than retina-a (or something similar - it might as well be the same thing). After i read your reply here a few days ago i stopped using the Aveeno shea butter lotion and i 'think' i saw almost straight away less tiny clogged pores (but no less pimples), so i'll stick to using that on my body. I know shea butter is not high on the comedogenic scale but after some reading it does appear to be a common clogger for some people. I ordered the Cerave lotion you mentioned (and read about it in some topics here) and it came yesterday so i'll start with that. My forehead has never been particularly dry but i do think i need to use to a moisturiser just now as my skin is not only very sensitive, but i also feel it looks a little dehydrated from using the gel (pores look bigger, areas with that crepey skin look - perhaps some damage to the skin barrier?), and i know that dry irritated skin will only exacerbate the problem and be counterproductive.

After reading your reply i think in the evenings i will now cleanse as normal, wait the 20 minutes and use the gel, then wait and an hour or so and use the Cerave. Depending on how this goes i suppose i can adjust how much Cerave i use.

Final query - i have been using emu oil, but would i be right in saying that while it is calming / soothing, it isn't as moisturising as it feels? I'm guessing something like emu oil doesn't contain anything like ceramides or other essential ingredients (that something like Cerave does)? I've just noticed that when i use the emu oil my skin feels calm but still looks a little dehydrated 'underneath'. Thanks, Lindsay x
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lindsay. I can't help you with the Emu oil issue, as I haven't used it in years, ever since I became a vegetarian Very Happy. Maybe someone else will chime in with some advice for you. Sorry.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi , glad to see you have been consistent with isotrex. Please don't loose hope. It's taken me since 2011 to finally be happy with my skincare ( and I still always want to try new things lol)

Cerave is a nice moisturiser. Hope you like it. But I only use it now and then. I also don't like putting silicone's etc on my skin. So instead I use argan oil with a little HA serum mixed in or just use damp hands to help rub it in nicely. I find this helps make oils sink into the skin more.

I've used a few oils and I always break out with them. I didn't like emu oil and also didn't find my skin moisturised (rather it just sat on top). But Argan oil is better and I think many people with acne prone skin seem to like it too. But every one's different.

Keep your routine simple. Even though retinA studies were probably done without moisturisers, sometimes it doesn't matter if you intend to use it for the long term. What I mean is I personally need to buffer it so I can tolerate daily use and then slowly will stop buffering it every second night so as I can use it as intended (I suppose). That way I can get the best of both worlds. So you see you may also find yourself one day in a position where your skin feels so good that it no longer needs moisturising after RetinA. Eventually I'll get there....I think LOL

So you see it's a process, even if it feels we take a step back sometimes.

Good luck Smile
lindsay123
5% products discount

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the replies! You've been really helpful.

I've dumped the the emu oil too, and i'm only using the Cerave. I've been doing the regime i mentioned above now for just over a week - cleanse, wait 20 minutes, apply gel, wait an hour (sometimes more), apply Cerave, snooze.

The first few nights i did this my forehead was VERY dry and flaking after the 20 minutes, so applying the gel wasn't fun..., it was even worse after waiting an hour to then use the Cerave Sad. However last night i realised that after the 20 minutes the areas that had previously been flaky and dry actually weren't as bad after both the 20 minutes and then the hour. I've also noticed that my skin feels (and DARE i say it) looks a bit better after a week of doing this routine. Using the Cerave has definitely made some parts of my forehead finally feel more balanced / like it did before i had this awful breakout. Like you said dionie, i think the emu oil was just sitting on my skin doing very little.

...However, i'm still breaking out. If anything the worst it's been for a while. I'm getting bigger red pimples / bumps(i have maybe 6) just now, with quite a few of them only arriving since i changed the regime. But at the same time some areas of skin do look clearer and smoother. The bad pimples are also in 'trouble areas' - apart from one that i woke up to this morning where i thought i was clear. I'm hoping this is still just part of the gel's process. I need to keep in mind how i've been using it (only now have i started applying to skin without a moisturiser on first) and what i've been previously using it with (pore clogging Aveeno Sad). I also know from reading info about retinoids that bigger pimples / bumps are quite common if you've using it for acne. But gaaawd, what a battle Mad! Feels like 90% of this is a mental attitude to keep going.

Oh, and what would breaking out for a moisturiser usually look like? I know with the Aveeno i saw little clogged pores (clearly causing a breakout) - but a little part of my brain is thinking perhaps the Cerave is having an adverse affect. All of me wants to think the gel is, if anything, being more effective in the already troubled areas due to the changed regime, but retinoids seem to have a habit of playing tricks on how your mind works. Thanks! Lindsay x
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Lindsay I don't use the cerave anymore, but many people with break out skin swear by it. I now avoid all moisturisers and use argan oil instead. But it took a while for me to figure that out.

I would try things for a while and then eliminate them one by one as your skin is different and may react differently to certain products. I think its also good to look at your whole routine in general. For me I found using a combo of aloevera (very soothing for breakout prone skin) in the morning with LAA Vit C powder (mixed in my hand) or AHA/BHA serums (to alternate, not together) helped a lot. Also going for treatments like peels helped (but not in the beginning stages of retina-a of course) etc..Also I much prefer light weight serums with lots of antioxidants rather than moisturisers. Normally I don't do well with oils, but argan seems the only exception. Its great mixed with a little HA serum. Im thinking of trying the aloevera with HA serum too instead of my oil just for a change up. But aloe vera I use is pure and not a gel, the texture is more like water.So perhaps you could try to look at your whole routine and keep it simple. As for the dryness its normal, but if it hurts then lay off those sections for the night.

Hang in there!!
almondtulip

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hey I just had to register after seeing this thread! I agree that google is not your friend when trying to find out about Isotrex gel - but there is great info in this thread.

I used Isotrex around 2.5 years ago now and it completely changed my skin! It worked really fast for me which I know is unusual. Over time I essentially had clear skin but still got the odd spot here and there. But I grew lazy and I was working crazy hours with uni and work which contributed to my laziness. Well over around a year and a half my skin has slowly gone back to its previous state being acne ridden. I had a really, REALLY bad reaction to a moisturiser which has meant that my acne is far worse than its ever been. I have non inflamed acne but that reaction produced inflamed acne! I managed to tame the inflamed acne whilst waiting for a doctors appointment so now im just left with a face load of clogged pores! Anyway I just got my Isotrex prescription tonight so Im hoping that I can get back to clear skin. I also tried natural treatments and I have made some great discoveries (almond oil, castor oil and ACV!) but sometimes you need hard drugz lol.

Sorry that was rambly! Im sure you have done some googling but acne.org is really helpful,you have probably come across these links but they are very reassuring and give some detail about whats going on:

*edit* okay im not allowed to link yet but just google acne.org "info about retinoids and initial break out" and "tips for using topical retinoids" and hopefully that should take you to the threads (they are both stickies on the retinoid topicals forum).
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 am      Reply with quote
almondtulip wrote:
I managed to tame the inflamed acne whilst waiting for a doctors appointment so now im just left with a face load of clogged pores! Anyway I just got my Isotrex prescription tonight so Im hoping that I can get back to clear skin.

just for info.. you can buy retin A online without a prescription from "all day chemist" for only $2.5 to $3... shipping is $25 but if you buy like 3 to 5 tubes, it's more than worth it!

btw, I am not connected with all day chemist in anyway.... i have nothing to gain by recommending them...
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah that's pretty cheap. I considered buying them for a while as it saves the script. But where Im from it costs like $25 for the tube (non generic too) and getting a script I can do over the phone now, or I get lots of repeats. I'm just weary of ordering online, but thats just my paranoia LOL...many people on here do without much issue, but if you have a good Dr it shouldn't be an issue...
lindsay123
5% products discount

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Almondtulip - it's so great you got here from searching. Hopefully it's useful to others that find it as well. Would you be able to tell me a bit more about your experience with the gel? What was your skin like before / how did you use it / what changes did you see etc? It's unfortunate you've broken out again but if isotrex worked really well for you the first time, hopefully you can get back to where you were!

And thanks Dionie. I don't think the Cerave was causing the bad breakouts i mentioned in my last post - a lot of the smaller ones have receded quite quickly since then. I've had a few more but i'm assuming (hoping!) it's a similar cycle. In some of the more troubled areas there seems to be a few spots that go down, remain dormant, then come back up, but each time it seems to get less severe. I really do think changing the order of how i apply the gel (onto dry skin), and introducing Cerave has made quite a significant difference - in a good way. Dryness has also dramatically decreased to the point that apart from a few areas i can get away with no moisturiser in the evening now (!!!). It's just hard to get positive about something that has taken so long to fix Confused

I think i'll maybe keep clear of any major treatments until i've stopped breaking out / have cleared up substantially. I'm useless when it comes to diy things but i'm definitely going to look into aloe vera and vit C powder. What kind of AHA/BHA serum would you suggest? I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion on the rest of my face and i don't think i've had a blemish since i started, but it's quite moisturising (i apply it after cleansing and i don't need another lotion or cream), so i'm not sure if i'd want to use it and my Cerave in the morning for fear of it being too much gunky stuff?

Sorry guys, i'm incapable of writing i small reply Smile
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Lindsay123

I use an AHA/BHA by ultraceuticals. Its quite strong though but Ive only just started. It would have been too many acids for my skin if I started earlier, and also I use it 2-3x week only (like my Vitamin C-LAA powder, which I use on my non AHA/BHA days) Paulas choice seems to be a favourite here, but not available where I'm from. Keep it if it works.

I'm hopeless at DIY too, so all I did was buy LAA powder online. I add a scoop (provided by them) to some aloe vera OR antioxidant serum in the palm of my hand. I rub my hands together and rub on my face. It feels a bit grainy but I don't mind it. I'm not bothered with making a batch up as I probably would stuff it up LOL. This is easier and love how I can add it to either. Very Happy
almondtulip

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Lindsay123 I would be happy to share my experiences. Please update this thread with how you get on, I hope it can be a success for both of us!

I have always had blemishes ever since I was around 15 (Im 22 now!) I just dabbed on concealer and went on my way. When I was around 18 I noticed concealer alone wasnt cutting it and so I covered up my ever increasing blemishes. I finally got tired of this went to doctors got every basic antibiotic you can have in the UK and some useless topicals. Nothing worked. It was only when my friend who had finally overcome her battle with acne shared with me what she uses - Isotrex. So I marched off to the GP and got her to prescribe me Isotrex (she didnt know what it was... lol).

Well thank god for my friend! Otherwise I would have never discovered it! My skin is just very congestion prone - I rarely get sore under the skin spots its just LOTS of non stop blackheads and whiteheads mainly around chin/nose/side of face (although everywhere is congested atm Sad). If I extract them they come back really fast. I have oily skin.

Its funny though because my friends skin is more under the skin spots and Isotrex worked for her! So all I can say is you must persevere. Like I said before it got me clear and it worked fast for me - Id say I was 85% clear in 5 weeks.

Even right now Im only on my forth day and I am glad to say I see an improvement. It regulates my skin its much clearer and is calmer. The only thing is yes you will have to tuff it out with the dry skin. At the end of the day when I take of my make up I often have to slough off a lot of dry peeling skin as well (sorry gross, I know!).

At the end of the day I use almond oil and gently massage it into my skin for 5 mins then take it off with cotton wool. It takes off my make up and moisturises. It also takes out some of the plugs in my pores. I then use a gentle cleanser to help balance my skin I normally use REN or Emma Hardie. Then remove it with a hot flannel. Once my skin is dry I apply Isotrex all over my face and thats it - no moisturiser! Then I go to bed. When I wake up you can feel your skin is smoother and clearer. No exfoliators or masks for 2/3 weeks just let the Isotrex do its resurfacing.

Dryness is normal but if my skin is irritated or sore, I will skip that nights application. I think its hard to listen to your skin - I know I spent years abusing mine with harsh scrubs and alcohol filled products. Be kind to your skin and try and judge what it needs day by day rather than have a strict regimen.

Sorry about that essay... Now im going to find out about vitamin C treatments as yours and dionies posts have intrigued me...
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing. If it helps this is a good place to research vitamin c, there are many forms. http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitc.html

I use LAA version, but there are more gentle versions if you find it's too acidic for your skin.

Gals I'm 38 and still get breakouts. It does get better as we age, but our skin types can be a challenge. It may take some time before you find what works for you.
GL
lindsay123
5% products discount

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:12 am      Reply with quote
85% clear in 5 weeks seems pretty incredible for acne, congrats.

Things have got worse for me over the past few days, bad bad bad Sad (a few under the skin spots and tiny closed whiteheads). Could i still be purging / getting rid of the gunk after all this time? It's hard to analyse time frames and where i should be at, and i do understand that it's different for everyone. I have been using the gel for 9 weeks now which seems a long time, ...but at the same time, i have only been using it every night for 4 weeks (before it was every 3rd and 2nd day), and for nearly two of those i was using it AFTER a gloopy pore clogging moisturiser (Aveeno had isopropyl myristate) that was probably negating the efficiency of the gel (?). So it's only been two weeks where i've used it every night STRAIGHT onto clean dry skin, followed sparingly by the cerave if necessary. So when i think of it like that, the 9 weeks seems much less significant. Does this make sense or am i just not ready to admit that it isn't really working? Lindsay x
almondtulip

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks dionie for the links about vit C and the one about isotrex and rentina A!

Lindsay123 its really hard to judge as like you say everyone is different. What kind of acne do you have? Is your skin peeling? What happens when you dont use a moisturiser at night? Do you apply it on the whole face? Is the texture of your skin different at all? Sorry for all the questions!

For me the following quote from acne.org message boards about renoids makes sense:

"Okay so in the first few weeks of treatment with topical retinoic acid (or other topical retinoid), the skin cells begin to proliferate rapidly. This really only takes a few days to have an effect, but you don't see the effects instantly (although you may feel them). As you already know a retinoid makes skin cells proliferate and desquamate in only 5-6 days (it usually takes a month). This may be why.......but we don't know for sure ..."

So what about the inflammatory initial breakout? Some of the comedoes may become inflamed.....if you are prone to inflammatory acne. Retinoids do cause a bit of irritation, and this can induce inflammation. Sometimes the pores are so blocked up that it takes weeks to resolve the comedo, and the bacteria and sebum trapped inside, and the irritation from the retinoid make it a perfect opportunity for a pimple to form. The reason it seems like an initial breakout is because it speeds up the rate of cellular proliferation. Those may or may not have become pimples without the retinoid. But in the worse case scenario you will get about 15 months of pimples in only 3 months."

Having acne just isnt fair but I am with you dionie - you have to find what works for your skin. Its frustrating that most people take clear skin for granted - I would like nothing more than to go make up free and not be self conscious about my acne...
lindsay123
5% products discount

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply, i was without internet for a week Mad

Well, reading that is a little encouraging i suppose. Technically, then, i could be due another two weeks of breakouts if the three months thing is correct. Or more if the 3 months is a timeline which is set to using it every night without a pore cloggy moisturiser. If that makes sense? I don't really see me having much in the way of alternatives so i'm just going to have to keep going.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the kind of acne i have - sometimes it feels like a little bit of everything, haha Sad i have quite a few under skin spots, some small ones but other larger ones - these sometimes turn into inflamed pimples but there doesn't appear to be any reason why one does and one doesn't. I also have a two or three recurring 'bumps' that i always think are going to turn into a pimple..., but they just recede. I also have a few whiteheads and stubborn clogged pores that also vary in size. My pores have also appear bigger, and redness takes a while to go away.

About using the moisturiser - for the past week and a half i haven't used any at night after the gel. If there is an area of dry skin i'll dab a little, but it's usually nothing. I'm not really peeling, no. I have no visible irritation from using it now (itchy, major redness, significant flaking etc). So i suppose it could be worse Rolling Eyes

I don't apply the gel to my whole face, no. My acne is only on my forehead. Is that strange? My skin on the rest of my face is clear/good..., i rarely ever get even the smallest pimple. I started using Paula's Choice BHA back in June and it's worked wonderfully. I gave it 3 months but it did nothing for my forehead.

The texture of my forehead has changed for the worse Sad Ever since this acne started it has looked older, a bit crinkly and crepey (i hope this makes sense). I never used to have visible lines etc, but now i do. It also looks uneven and tired. I never used to get indents at all, but since using the gel i have. My pores also look bigger. So yeah, the texture has changed significantly for the worse. I'm hoping this will get better once i stop breaking out...?

I actually thought it got better at the end of last week but it's got a little worse again. peaks and troughs i suppose.
Julia07

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you could please help me Smile

I've just been prescribed Isotrex gel after a long ongoing battle with my skin that nothing else seems to have touched. I am currently applying just to the affected areas twice a day- is this right or should I be applying to my whole face?

Really hoping this will work as I'm a bridesmaid in May and so embarrassed about my skin Crying or Very sad

Thanks for your help

Julia
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:11 am      Reply with quote
I would do as your dr advised.
However I would be hesitant to use it twice a day, as isotretinoin makes your skin sensitive to sunlight. I was told by my dr to use it at night and all over, just a tiny bit as I describe earlier in this post. But I'm sure it could be used as a spot treatment however these products, like tretinoin ( retin-a) work slowly overtime to benefit your overall skin. Problem with spot treating is you could keep getting breakouts in different areas all the time, so end up putting it everywhere, KWIM?
Use sunscreen too. Eat well and drink lots of water too , to help your skin be in tip top condition for the wedding. Above all have fun Smile
lindsay123
5% products discount

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Dionie. I would also say to listen to your skin. Personally i could never have applied the gel twice a day due to initial irritation - it took my 5 weeks to be able to apply it once a day! But everyone is different. Frankly i don't think anyone should need to apply a retinoid twice a day but that's just my opinion.

If you're skin problem is clearly only affecting a certain area then i would only apply it to that area..., but that might depend on what you mean by area. For me the problem was entirely on my forehead, so i only applied the gel to this and never the rest of my face. I initially applied it to only certain areas of my forehead but realised i really needed to use it all over rather than like a spot treatment.

Hope that makes sense and enjoy the wedding Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |