Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Bicultural Relationships?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Do any of you have experience with a bicultural relationship?

I am a Caucasian, North American WASP. My sweet loving partner is Latin American Catholic, born and raised in South America, moved here to the U.S. a few years ago to work and start a new career.
English is my primary language. My fluency in Spanish is limited to reading and understanding the spoken language. I struggle with speaking the language.
His primary language is Spanish, he understands and reads English, struggles with speaking the language.
Given all this, amazingly we don't have many communication problems. I speak English, he responds in Spanish and vice versa, lol.
In the past, I have dated men from my own background - guys whose primary language was English, but their listening and communication skills were so poor, that the communication is those relationships was far worse than this one, actually.

Anyway, back to my point. We love each other very much. I am happy with the way things are now: we each have our own apartments and lives and we get together on the weekends and sometimes during the week.
He wants to take things a step further, perhaps live together and one day marry.
My one and only marriage ended 6 years ago. I have come to enjoy my independence and solo life. I appreciate simple companionship without mingling finances and house chores...
There is also the thought that one day, when he retires, he will likely return to South America and ask me to go with him and I can never see myself leaving America completely.

I would appreciate any stories or advice from anyone who has been in a similar relationship.

BFG

PS/ Our nicknames are Ricky and Lucy Smile
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi BFG,
I am Caucasian as well and fell in love with a man from Central America. I was on vacation and when we met it was like we had known each other for a thousand years. I also speak very little spanish, although I can read it. When we met, his English was "ok" (now it is perfect).

We were together for 2 wonderful years. I knew that if our relationship was to continue, I would have to move to Central America. I could of adapted there, but moving to the US would have killed him. He literally lived in a place where there were no street names... just beautiful jungle and a great community that made me think that this is what it must of been like to live back in the 1950s LOL!

Anyway, we did not have any issues about having different backgrounds. It was fun to learn about another culture and be with someone whose life experiences and outlook were so different than mine. I grew from it.

How long have you been in a relationship? I would really make sure that you are on the same page about what you want out of life (marriage, etc).

See how it goes, you never know.. you may want to take a leap someday and move to another country.

hope that helps
Smile

Edit to add: even though it did not last, I cherish him and the experience. Go for it, have fun. It is so rare to find these types of connections... when you do, don't let them go even if the future is not certain. Live for the day as much as possible.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm another caucasian woman who always falls for the rich latin american guys... damn those dance skills and sexy spanish accents!

I'm pretty young, so my experience is very little, and mostly involves college experiences, so I can't comment too much on that.

As far as dating between cultures go, my parents have a similar marriage. My dad is of Ukrainian decent and speaks mostly english, my mother is pure-laine Quebecoise and only started to learn english after she met my father. They've made it work!

All that being said, Barefootgirl I think your issue is not really the cultural difference, that seems minor. Its more about how you see your own future. Regardless of culture, you don't seem like you want the kind of relationship that he wants. That could happen with anyone. So really, its about figuring out if this is someone you will be able to live with, and perhaps even move for, or if you see yourself living more independently.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I married a columbian man when I was younger, remains my friend. His communication at the beginning of our relationship was much like you described. After three years of dating and two of marriage, it's as good if not better than mine and I'm a third generation American. Be encouraging, patient, and always encourage him to use you as an open forum for language practice. I did make the effort to learn Spanish but eventually we moved entirely to English as he perfected his speech.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |