Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Rolling - Needle Lengths
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Looking for opinions/knowledge on appropriate needle lengths based on area of the body:

Product Penetration - .25 or .30

Eyelid skin - .50

Face/neck - 1.5

Hands/arms/legs/chest, etc. 2.0

Scarred areas - possibly 3.0 (surgical)

Comments?

Tks, BFG
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Why would you choose a 0.5mm for eyelid skin? The skin is so thin there I think a 0.25mm would be adequate. And when you say eyelid skin I'm presuming you mean the orbital bone and aren't intending to roll over the eyeball itself.

Personally, I like to use either a 0.5mm or 1.00mm for the face and neck. A 0.5mm has been shown to induce collagen production - without the drama of the longer needles. I use that the most and intermittently use the 1.00mm. The skin on the chest is also quite thin, so I don't think a long needle is a good idea there either. Arms and legs could probably take the long needles though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Why would you choose a 0.5mm for eyelid skin? The skin is so thin there I think a 0.25mm would be adequate. And when you say eyelid skin I'm presuming you mean the orbital bone and aren't intending to roll over the eyeball itself.

Personally, I like to use either a 0.5mm or 1.00mm for the face and neck. A 0.5mm has been shown to induce collagen production - without the drama of the longer needles. I use that the most and intermittently use the 1.00mm. The skin on the chest is also quite thin, so I don't think a long needle is a good idea there either. Arms and legs could probably take the long needles though.

The only time I would consider a needle longer than 1mm (which is good enough for Dr. Fernandes!) is for severe acne scarring.

I think it is also key to note that most people do NOT use the full length of the needle, especially if they are not numbing prior to a roll.

This is me after using a 1mm roller...I obviously used the full length of the needles, lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Keliu wrote:

The only time I would consider a needle longer than 1mm (which is good enough for Dr. Fernandes!) is for severe acne scarring.

I think it is also key to note that most people do NOT use the full length of the needle, especially if they are not numbing prior to a roll.

This is me after using a 1mm roller...I obviously used the full length of the needles, lol.

WOW! That could earn a place on gore gallery Bethany! Laughing

Teasing not that bad but you are bloody there! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:40 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Yep! I shared it only as a means of keeping things in perspective when talking about needle lengths.

And for me to have that kind of roll requires Emla, Climax Spray throughout my roll (to keep the numb going), and 1 to 2 bottles of wine because the pain is so darn bad.

Now you know why I haven't rolled for almost 3 years, lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Yep! I shared it only as a means of keeping things in perspective when talking about needle lengths.

And for me to have that kind of roll requires Emla, Climax Spray throughout my roll (to keep the numb going), and 1 to 2 bottles of wine because the pain is so darn bad.

Now you know why I haven't rolled for almost 3 years, lol.

You verify my choice to only use a .5mm and 1mm roller and nothing longer! I fully intend to use the Emla with the 1mm.

Thanks for sharing. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I too would encourage you to begin with a 1mm roller on the face. I get plenty of pinprick bleeding with a 1mm, not like Bethany but I likely don't do the number of passes she has. Initially you will be working on your technique: how long you need to leave the EMLA, how hard to press, how close you can go to the edges of your face without getting your hair caught up (hygiene), how best to stretch your skin so you don't spread bacteria, downtime and so on. Scale up to a 1.5mm when the time comes to replace your roller if you feel brave/ confident/ aggressive!

You might consider a three line roller for detail work around the mouth or eyes, I was surprised how handy it is. I chose a 1.5mm for that so I could be more aggressive without increasing the pain (fewer pins). FYI I don't use anaesthetic cream, only roll half a face, use a moderate touch because I don't want to bend the needles or overly graze the surface of the skin (increases downtime). I have never rollered body, neck or eyelids; decollete was painful and awkward.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
You might consider a three line roller for detail work around the mouth or eyes, I was surprised how handy it is.

The 3Line is my favorite roller for around the eyes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I think I am going to continue to experiment with different needle lengths on different parts of my body. The tops of my hands seem almost impervious!

I wanted to repeat that I had much better numbing results when I used a thicker ply plastic occlusive wrap, in case this might be of help to anyone else.

I found a book on Amazon this morning, it may be the first ever written about dermarolling. The author's name is Lance Setterfield.

I will be comparing it to the info in the articles in my folder that I am trying to assemble and organize.

BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I think I am going to continue to experiment with different needle lengths on different parts of my body. The tops of my hands seem almost impervious!

I wanted to repeat that I had much better numbing results when I used a thicker ply plastic occlusive wrap, in case this might be of help to anyone else.

I found a book on Amazon this morning, it may be the first ever written about dermarolling. The author's name is Lance Setterfield.

I will be comparing it to the info in the articles in my folder that I am trying to assemble and organize.

BFG

Sounds very interesting BFG, what is the name of the book?

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Never mind I found it on amazon. Thanks for mentioning the book.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

I'll be interested to hear if there is any new info that hasn't been already shared by the industry experts.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Concise-Guide-Dermal-Needling/dp/0473173212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336679539&sr=8-1

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

I'll be interested to hear if there is any new info that hasn't been already shared by the industry experts.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Concise-Guide-Dermal-Needling/dp/0473173212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336679539&sr=8-1

This laminated instruction poster was created by the same doctor, and the eBay ad includes recommendations for needle lengths.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DERMA-SKIN-ROLLER-MICRONEEDLE-DIAGRAM-GUIDE-TREATMENT-POSTER-SALON-PHYSICIAN-/110837476267?pt=AU_Face_Care&hash=item19ce6dabab#ht_13248wt_1107

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
oh my goodness, too funny "prickle me pretty"

Laughing

about the book, yes I am interested as well. I've been a bit frustrated with all the info scattered about and some of it outdated, so my goal is to take the articles and this book and come up to some kind of complete understanding, it sounds rather geeky I realize, but it seems to me like a worthwhile use of my time...

BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

Laughing

about the book, yes I am interested as well. I've been a bit frustrated with all the info scattered about and some of it outdated, so my goal is to take the articles and this book and come up to some kind of complete understanding, it sounds rather geeky I realize, but it seems to me like a worthwhile use of my time...

BFG

Count me in as geeky I ordered the book also!

That was very amusing on the "Prickle Me Pretty" Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Laughing

BFG

When you get the book, would you give a review? I'm wondering if using ozone (as via a facial steamer) would help cut down the chances for any kind of staff infection.

I'm thinking to buy a little table top steamer and set it on the bathroom counter. I could steam/ozone my face first to reduce any bacteria (I believe Sarah Vaughter recommends steaming first but the ozone could be an added benefit). Then I could point the handle upwards, flip on the ozone using the cool steam function and roll.

P.S. I did my first .5 mm roll yesterday and I can say that using the Lyapko roller daily has definitely helped reduce my sensitivity to the roller. I feel much better about bumping up my needle length now. Finally! But... I really need to do that (6?) week prep first since it's been so long since rolling regularly. Yesterday was a kind of trial... that showed me I shouldn't be so skeered anymore! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Luminosity wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Laughing

BFG

When you get the book, would you give a review? I'm wondering if using ozone (as via a facial steamer) would help cut down the chances for any kind of staff infection.

I'm thinking to buy a little table top steamer and set it on the bathroom counter. I could steam/ozone my face first to reduce any bacteria (I believe Sarah Vaughter recommends steaming first but the ozone could be an added benefit). Then I could point the handle upwards, flip on the ozone using the cool steam function and roll.

P.S. I did my first .5 mm roll yesterday and I can say that using the Lyapko roller daily has definitely helped reduce my sensitivity to the roller. I feel much better about bumping up my needle length now. Finally! But... I really need to do that (6?) week prep first since it's been so long since rolling regularly. Yesterday was a kind of trial... that showed me I shouldn't be so skeered anymore! Laughing

I checked Amazon and the book has not shipped yet, so if BFG gets it before I do hopefully she will review it!
If I do get it sooner I sure will let you know what if anything new shows up. Very Happy

BTW I ordered the Lyapko roller from a seller off ebay and that is on it's way! Laughing

You and Keliu enabled that purchase, why didn't anyone tell me it looked like it was from the days of Woodstock? Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

I checked Amazon and the book has not shipped yet, so if BFG gets it before I do hopefully she will review it!
If I do get it sooner I sure will let you know what if anything new shows up. Very Happy

BTW I ordered the Lyapko roller from a seller off ebay and that is on it's way! Laughing

You and Keliu enabled that purchase, why didn't anyone tell me it looked like it was from the days of Woodstock? Bad Grin

LOL!! I love my Lyapko and since I am a child of the sixties, it all makes sense now! Laughing Laughing

My six year old is also starting to like my Lyapko (very lightly on his cheeks). Then again, he loves (and I mean loves) to wear my Frownies. I've taken to hiding them. Actually I switched to Furlese and love those even more. They are hidden too. Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Luminosity wrote:
Quote:

LOL!! I love my Lyapko and since I am a child of the sixties, it all makes sense now! Laughing Laughing

My six year old is also starting to like my Lyapko (very lightly on his cheeks). Then again, he loves (and I mean loves) to wear my Frownies. I've taken to hiding them. Actually I switched to Furlese and love those even more. They are hidden too. Cool

LOL. I was a teen in the late 60.s early 70's so I was in the thick of it!

That is hysterical about your son, kids really do, do the darnedest things!
My second cousin at about 5-6 got into my make up and painted my pure white parakeet! My kids pulled some really cute tricks when little too. Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Keliu managed to scare me into sticking with the 1,5 mm.

*ouch*

No pain, no gain,

What do you use post roll?

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Luminosity wrote:
Quote:

LOL. I was a teen in the late 60.s early 70's so I was in the thick of it!

That is hysterical about your son, kids really do, do the darnedest things!
My second cousin at about 5-6 got into my make up and painted my pure white parakeet! My kids pulled some really cute tricks when little too. Bad Grin

I love kid stories... and would so love to see a picture of your parakeet! (did you take any photos?!). Adorable!

I think you'll enjoy the Lyapko... if you're at all sensitive to energy you will feel it even more. I've always enjoyed energy work (much more than massage) so for me, the Lyapko feels healing in a deep way. Plus as I've mentioned elsewhere, it is helping firm my skin (even the texture seems better) and making dermarolling much more bearable.

Interestingly, when I dermarolled yesterday, I noticed similarities with the Lyapko (the prickling sensation) but what was missing was the blissful energy wave. On the other hand, I saw some lovely skin plumping this morning and that is something only a good dermarolling can give. Very glad to have both.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
[img]
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/45011/2498938650033880849S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]

*ouch*

No pain, no gain,

I think that's wise, DragoN...

I tried using the Infaladon that Sarah sells but it is *very* thick and greasy, which I guess is the point! But... my skin doesn't like it much.

Yesterday I did something different and my skin did like it: Super CP serum followed by a CFF healing serum and Emu oil. My skin looked great this morning!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:

*ouch*

No pain, no gain,

I used Retin A directly after the roll, then used 302 skincare Vit A and Vit C (both oil based) numerous times a day for the next 3-5 days. That was as close as I could get to replicating the Environ protocol without having access to their products.

I will probably do the same thing next time (minus the Retin A), though I am not sure if I will use 302 or Environ (neither are super easy for me to get).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
oh my goodness, retin A after a deep roll? If I did that, I would be clawing my facial skin off in sheets due to discomfort. You are brave...

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
oh my goodness, retin A after a deep roll? If I did that, I would be clawing my facial skin off in sheets due to discomfort. You are brave...

BFG

The Retin A on the face was fine...the chest not so much! Hive city and I had to resort to cortisone. I didn't make that mistake again. Embarassed

Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |