Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
morning temperature
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I bought a thermometer at Walgreens last night to track my temperature; I likely have subclinical hypothyroid. My morning temperature was 95 degrees! It's up to 97, but this certainly explains a lot.

Is anyone else hypothyroid? Do you take anything? Thanks!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Gretchen,

Are you still eating a higher fat diet? There is evidence that high-fat diets contribute to hypothyroidism and low body temperature.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01804718?LI=true

Effects of a high fat diet on thyroid activity, with special reference to thyroidal responses to cold

Male rats of Wistar strain were fed a standard diet (14% calories as fat or a high fait diet (80% calories as fat) for 4 to 5 weeks at 20°C. A high fat diet caused a marked hypertrophy of brown and white adipose tissue, but no change in the weight of thyroid, while there was a significant decrease in the thyroid activity as indicated by low T/S ratio. Also, the 48-hr conversion ratio of131I to protein-bound131I (PB131I) was lower. However, plasma PB131I level in this group was not different from that in the control group of rats. At 20°C plasma PB131I levels were progressively decreased over a period of 48 hours in the control group, while in the high fat diet group the initial level was maintained throughout the period. In the control group cold exposure at 3° to 5°C caused a significant elevation of PB131I level, but later it decreased to the level at 20°C. In the high fat diet group the plasma PB131I was not influenced by the same cold exposure. Fractional turnover rate of131I-thyroxine was similar in the two groups. It increased significantly on exposure to cold in the control group, while it remained unchanged in the high fat diet one. These results suggest that a high fat diet has some depressive influence on thyroidal activity and the responses to cold.

Eur J Endocrinol. 1997 Mar;136(3):309-15.
Effect of a high-fat diet on energy balance and thermic effect of food in hypothyroid rats.
Iossa S, Mollica MP, Lionetti L, Barletta A, Liverini G.
Source
Dipartimento di Fisiologia Generale ed Ambientale, Università di Napoli, Italy.
Abstract
We have carried out measurements of energy balance in hypothyroid rats fed a low-fat or a high-fat diet for eighteen days. We have also measured cephalic and processing thermic effect of food (TEF) after a low-fat or a high-fat meal. Body lipid gain, carcass lipid content and gross efficiency were significantly (P < 0.05) higher in hypothyroid rats fed a high-fat diet compared with hypothyroid rats fed a low-fat diet, while metabolizable energy intake and energy expenditure remained unchanged. Cephalic TEF after a low-fat meal was significantly (P < 0.05) lower in hypothyroid rats fed a high-fat diet compared with hypothyroid rats fed a low-fat diet, while it was significantly (P < 0.05) higher after a high-fat meal than after a low-fat meal in hypothyroid rats fed a high-fat diet. No significant variation was found in processing TEF after a low-fat or a high-fat meal. Our results indicate that hypothyroid rats are unable to develop increased energy expenditure and increased TEF in response to a high-fat diet.

http://mend.endojournals.org/content/26/12/2071.short

Maternal High-Fat Diet Modulates the Fetal Thyroid Axis and Thyroid Gene Expression in a Nonhuman Primate Model

Thyroid hormone (TH) is an essential regulator of both fetal development and energy homeostasis. Although the association between subclinical hypothyroidism and obesity has been well studied, a causal relationship has yet to be established. Using our well-characterized nonhuman primate model of excess nutrition, we sought to investigate whether maternal high-fat diet (HFD)-induced changes in TH homeostasis may underlie later in life development of metabolic disorders and obesity. Here, we show that in utero exposure to a maternal HFD is associated with alterations of the fetal thyroid axis. At the beginning of the third trimester, fetal free T4 levels are significantly decreased with HFD exposure compared with those of control diet-exposed offspring. Furthermore, transcription of the deiodinase, iodothyronine (DIO) genes, which help maintain thyroid homeostasis, are significantly (P < 0.05) disrupted in the fetal liver, thyroid, and hypothalamus. Genes involved in TH production are decreased (TRH, TSHR, TG, TPO, and SLC5A5) in hypothalamus and thyroid gland. In experiments designed to investigate the molecular underpinnings of these observations, we observe that the TH nuclear receptors and their downstream regulators are disrupted with maternal HFD exposure. In fetal liver, the expression of TH receptor β (THRB) is increased 1.9-fold (P = 0.012). Thorough analysis of the THRB promoter reveals a maternal diet-induced alteration in the fetal THRB histone code, alongside differential promoter occupancy of corepressors and coactivators. We speculate that maternal HFD exposure in utero may set the stage for later in life obesity through epigenomic modifications to the histone code, which modulates the fetal thyroid axis.

And here's an article which (anecdotally) reports on low morning temperature and hypothyroidism being associated with high-fat diets.

http://anthonycolpo.com/is-a-low-carb-diet-bad-for-your-thyroid/

"After reviewing the research, I’m also convinced that low carb diets are not a bright choice for those susceptible to or suffering from impaired thyroid function."

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Neither article mentions which type of fat is bad for the thyroid.

I added coconut oil and more butter to my diet last year, but would hardly call it a "high fat" diet. Coconut oil has been found to support the thyroid.

I've increased carbs and still have a morning temperture below 97.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
It might be your thermometer. Cheap ones can run a degree or so low and 95º is technically hypothermia. I've had thermometers give me really low temps and when I bought a quality one, my temp readings immediately went up.

I recommend a mercury free glass basal thermometer. They take longer to use but they're much more accurate. I had one that broke and it always gave me much more accurate readings than the digital ones I've used.

Note on thyroid- a lot of people who are "subclinical" really do have out of range thyroid labs. The problem is that the lab ranges are too narrow. If you get tested, go by the functional medicine ranges and get antibodies tested, too, since the majority of hypothyroid cases in the US are autoimmune.

I was told for years that my thyroid was "normal" despite having loads of symptoms. Then an NP told me I had low T3, which hadn't been tested previously. However, she failed to test my antibodies.

It wasn't until I finally found out that I had positive thyroid antibodies and started an immune modulating protocol, gut healing and a grain-free diet that I started to feel normal for the first time in about 15 years.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Most days it's 96.5. It's a digital thermometer.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter is hypo, her temp always ran in the 96's. Her TSH was 8.7, so quite high when she was first diagnosed. She was put on levothyroxine 50mcg and after 2/3 months her TSH dropped to .2 (which is, of course, too low) ...she then was put on 25mcg where her TSH has stabilized to a more normal 3 range as has her temp which now runs in the high 97's to mid 98's. My older 2 kids (the other a boy) were both diagnosed at the same time with hypothyroid...I am hoping my almost 12 year old won't have the same issue when she gets older. Sad

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
My daughter is hypo, her temp always ran in the 96's. Her TSH was 8.7, so quite high when she was first diagnosed. She was put on levothyroxine 50mcg and after 2/3 months her TSH dropped to .2 (which is, of course, too low) ...she then was put on 25mcg where her TSH has stabilized to a more normal 3 range as has her temp which now runs in the high 97's to mid 98's. My older 2 kids (the other a boy) were both diagnosed at the same time with hypothyroid...I am hoping my almost 12 year old won't have the same issue when she gets older. Sad

I wonder how long I've been hypothyroid. I've been symptomatic possibly since childhood, but at least since late 20s.

I found this interesting site yesterday, The Cold Body Page:
http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/coldbody.html
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I've been hesitating about posting this, because some people have problems with iodine. But it really helped me and maybe it could help you, too.

I've had subclinical hypothyroid symptoms for years (although my body temp was never that low). I've tried various natural therapies and finally tried iodine last year. Most of us are deficient in the amounts of iodine that are necessary for optimal functioning (optimal functioning does not equal RDA recs...it's much higher). Apparently I was, too.

Iodine has helped to improve my hair and metabolism. It's also helped greatly with my sleep...I had gotten to the point where I wasn't dreaming any more and my sleep just wasn't restful or satisfying. Within a week or so of starting iodine I began dreaming again and sleep is very restful now.

There is a downside to iodine, however. If you have mercury toxicity (like from amalgam fillings) it can cause detox reactions that are quite distressing. It can also do the same if you are loaded up with bromide (bromide is routinely added to commercial baked goods to help with texture and to keep bread loaves from "splitting"). Bromide (actually, all metals in the bromine family such as flourine/flouride, chlorine, etc.) displaces iodine in the receptors in the thyroid, so when you start taking iodine it in turn displaces all the bromide, which can also cause wonky detox symptoms.

Best way to counter iodine detox symptoms is to load with salt (sodium chloride), magnesium (any form, I like citrate), and selenium (selenomethionine). I know it seems counterintuitive to load salt since we're taught that salt is a BIG BAD, but salt loading works for me, and also helps my adrenals. People sometimes cringe at how much salt I eat but my kidneys and blood pressure are just fine.

I personally had to do a complete course of chelation protocol (in addition to salt loading, magnesium, etc.) before I could tolerate iodine, but it was worth it IMO.

If you do decide to try iodine, I would start out with Lugol's solution 2%, and start with a couple of drops per day for a week, increasing two a week until I'd worked up to six drops. It tastes like caca so you might want to get some empty gelatin caps and put the drops in there. Or put it in an ounce of liquid and shoot it like tequila with salt and lime. Very Happy Take liquid iodine with food.

I would also do some research to decide if iodine is right for you. I don't want to be responsible for you having any distressing detox symptoms, but I also thought it was worth mentioning in this thread since you seem to be having a bad time with your thyroid.

Also, if you tell your doctor about this s/he will likely tell you that iodine is bad for you and not to take it. That's mainstream medical dogma. But I know many people that have taken it to much benefit (self included). But I also know a few who could not ride out the side effects. I really think it depends upon the person and whether or not they're willing to educate themselves and try things that may be new to them to address the situation.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
bren21 wrote:

I wonder how long I've been hypothyroid. I've been symptomatic possibly since childhood, but at least since late 20s.

I found this interesting site yesterday, The Cold Body Page:
http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/coldbody.html

I had my son tested many years ago when he was younger due to the fact he was symptomatic and the fact that in my ex husbands family, hyper and hypo ran rampant. His sister actually had Graves. When I had him tested younger, I think it was around 11/12 he was considered borderline at 5.2. Now at some facilities, that would be considered hypo...I guess everyone has their own guidlines they follow. At 20, I had him and my oldest daughter (who was 18 at the time) tested. They both had symptoms of sleepiness, sleeplessness, hair loss and general lack of concentration. My son ended up with a TSH of 5.9 and they decided to put him on meds as well as the daughter. I think they were both hypo for many years as the symptoms were there and I have no doubt you're in the same boat. I had my youngest tested as well at 11, just to get a baseline, and she was normal at 3.4....thank goodness. Hopefully it continues.

Funny thing, my pet doberman who died of cancer about 6 years ago actually turned out hypo. He had symptoms of listlessness, dull coat, dry skin and had this lifeless/dead look in his eyes. Took him to the vet for a checkup and turned out he was hypothyroid. They put him on regular human thyroid pills and in 2 or 3 months, he was like a new dog!!! I couldn't believe it. His coat was shiny, no dandruff, he was energetic and the sparkle came back in his eyes. Wish it would have had that profound of an effect on my kids Wink

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:

Generally, it is implied that a HFD includes a diet high in saturated fat.

gretchen wrote:
I added coconut oil and more butter to my diet last year, but would hardly call it a "high fat" diet. Coconut oil has been found to support the thyroid.

More than fair. I thought I remembered that you were eating low-carb, which implies high-fat, but maybe I am confusing you with someone else.

Regardless, I hope you figure it out Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thyroid dissease tends to run in families. My mother, aunts and siblings, except for one brother, are either hyper or have Hashimoto's. If a doc tells you you are borderline, it means you are hypo, especially if you have several symptoms (google them). You should be put on a very low dose of thyroid hormone, natural or synthetic, to see if there is any improvement in how you feel. If yes, then you need further tests, usually once a month, and adjustments to your dose to figure out the optimal dosage. You have to be patient. The hardest part is finding a good endocrinologist, don't rely on a GP.

My diet has been all over the map in the past two decades but it had no effect on my thyroid.

Don't self treat with iodine until you are diagnosed. If you have Hashimoto's type of hypo, that is the worst thing you could do.

I opted to take Naturethroid, natural pig thyroid, because it has both T4 and T3. Some people do well on synthetics which are only T4, later supplementing with T3 meds if necessary. B12 and ferritin also play a role.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
gretchen wrote:

Generally, it is implied that a HFD includes a diet high in saturated fat.

gretchen wrote:

More than fair. I thought I remembered that you were eating low-carb, which implies high-fat, but maybe I am confusing you with someone else.

Regardless, I hope you figure it out Smile

Thanks, I think the solution is to go on Cytomel(T3). I've also made a lot of changes similar to the suggestions in this blog post:
http://www.thenutritioncoach.com.au/anti-ageing/be-pro-thyroid-up-your-tempo/
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |