Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Last september I yawned and heard a big click. Ever since then whenever I open my jaw it has to deviate towards the side then return to the middle in order to fully open. It is a disorder of the TMJ, officially called "disc displacement with reduction".

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? If so did you manage to treat it successfully and how?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it was super annoying. I got braces and it went away. I imagine it would have healed on its own though without the re-routing of my jaw.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Did you get the braces because of the disk displacement or for a separate issue? Do you know why your jaw went out in the first place?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have TMJ very badly. I made sure to avoid eating larger sandwiches, chewing gum, etc. and everything healed over time on it's own.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I used to have TMJ very badly. I made sure to avoid eating larger sandwiches, chewing gum, etc. and everything healed over time on it's own.

Interesting. Was there a point at which you felt/ heard the jaw go back in place?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:25 am      Reply with quote
maybe you should visit dentist to make sure you haven't damaged your jaw? I'm guessing there is no pain involved right, so hopefully its nothing too serious?
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I have seen my dentist about it. He said that it is pretty out and recommended seeing an Osteopath. Started seeing a recommended cranial Osteopath. She was very good but was charging a hefty sum and as I have to see her every week was finding it difficult to keep up with the payments so that all fizzled out. I should probably just budget for it and keep going. I guess I am really after some ideas from other sufferers of this condition of how long it takes to go back in to place.

Also does anyone have any experience with treating teeth clenching and grinding at night apart from with a gum shield?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 am      Reply with quote
Moon- no, I got braces solely for cosmetic reasons. I had them as a kid and my teeth on the bottom set looked terrible by the time I hit 24 so I had them reshaped and reigned back in. Best money I ever spent to be honest. My TMJ was more annoying rather than painful so there was no need to treat for that. In my case this is solely genetics.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Mine isn't painful at the moment but have been told that if it gets left unattended to then it can cause headaches and problems further along the road. I guess you could say mine is kind of genetic too. Have joint hypermobility syndrome which apparently makes this condition more likely. Is that what you have when you say that it is genetic?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. Was there a point at which you felt/ heard the jaw go back in place?

I had many times when I had to rotate it back into place, and was scared it may not go back in!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
I have seen my dentist about it. He said that it is pretty out and recommended seeing an Osteopath. Started seeing a recommended cranial Osteopath. She was very good but was charging a hefty sum and as I have to see her every week was finding it difficult to keep up with the payments so that all fizzled out. I should probably just budget for it and keep going. I guess I am really after some ideas from other sufferers of this condition of how long it takes to go back in to place.

Also does anyone have any experience with treating teeth clenching and grinding at night apart from with a gum shield?

I think stress and the teeth clenching was what really caused my TMJ to begin with. I had forgetting until you mentioned it, but I did have a mouthguard and that did help with the healing.

Here is a professional dental lab that I have used for custom teeth whitening trays...they also make custom night guards, and you may want to look into that as a next step. It will keep you from overexerting the muscles that then causes the TMJ issues.

http://nightguardsdirect.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
By genetics I mean my father has the same shaped jaw- its an inherited characteristic. I don't have any joint issues, but my upper and lower jaws never really lined up the way its intended and stresses out the joint from constantly rubbing instead of gliding. It can also cause tooth breakage if not repaired, but my teeth are tough as nails (never had a cavity even) so that did not happen to me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Bethany. Have started using my night guard and doing exercises regularly. Also trying to eat soft foods. Anything just to get my disc back in to place. If anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |