Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which Is Best: Sylicylic Acid Vs Glycolic Acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lisavarner

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
Of these 2 which is the best for me? I am trying to minimize acne scars and hyperpigmention. I have realistic goals, therefore I don't expect to have my acne scars erased and to have Hollywood looking skin.
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I personally prefer glycolic.
Salicylic just irritates my skin and doesnt help so much with hyper pigmentation.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Are you looking to do a peel or are you looking for something to use every day.

I've used a mixture of glycolic and lactic acid in 30% peel and really liked the results.
I also used salicylic acid 20% peel on a different occasion and wasn't too happy with the outcome. According to my skin type and concerns the salicylic acid should have helped more, but it didn't.
I use 1% salicylic acid every day to control acne and I find it does a very good job at that.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
BHA (salicylic)is best for clogged pores. It exfoliates within the pore.

AHA (lactic, glycolic) exfoliates the surface

I use both.

Also if you are looking to minimize hyperpigmentation; be sure to wear a good sunscreen everyday.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
If you still have acne, I suggest to use salicylic acid until your skin is back to "normal". If your concern only acne marks and hyperpigmentaion, I suggest Glycolic acid. This acid is a natural exfoliant, which helps smooth out uneven skin tones, acne marks, hyperpigmentation etc... Make sure that if you use glycolic acid, that you follow a moisturizer suited for your skin type... Whatever you decide, importantly, daily use of sunscreen of at least 30 SPF is a must. Hope this helps...
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Salicylic acid causes severe contact dermatitis for me so I'm biased. I do not encounter this with other acids.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I use a moisturizer with lactic acid and salicylic acid pads on my nose. For hyperpigmentation, lactic acid is meant to be a good choice and it appears (to me at least) to work better than glycolic for spots. I think glycolic is good for "plumping" up the skin - I notice a freshening of my skin when I use that, although I haven't in a long time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata, glycolic acid will never "plump" your skin. It is supposed to break-down the "glue" that bond dead skin cells beneath the top layer of the skin, causing new skin cells to the surface, thus, you see a fresher looking skin. However, you need to protect the new skin from UVA/UVB by using sunscreen....
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
Plumping may have been the wrong word. I meant that it has a fresher, younger appearance after a peel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata, yes, this is true, you get a "younger" looking skin after a peel (in an instant). Regular usage of glycolic acid peels will further enhance the look and feel of the skin, long-term. For those wanting this treatment, start slow first with a low dosage strength until your skin adapts... Don't go overboard by using a stronger strength if you skin is not used to it, as you will only cause more damage than good...
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still not entirely sure why salicylic acid isn't as effective as glycolic acid when it comes to hyperpigmentation and evening the skin.

Also, why does salicylic acid go deeper in the pore? And why does glycolic acid clean more superficially?
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Nevermind. Just saw the answer to my question above in the following book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FdwKAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA303&dq=melanocytes+glycolic+or+salicylic&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gbYxUr6wMZLS9ATLuIHgDw&ved=0CGUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=melanocytes%20glycolic%20or%20salicylic&f=false
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I use both. Salycilic in particular for acne.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Lemon juice is superior(i think it is aha but i dont care about the category it belongs Wink)

Keep in mind that you may have to dilute it with water and also that it provides Vitamins together with exfoliation.ITS SUPERIOR.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
Lemon juice is superior(i think it is aha but i dont care about the category it belongs Wink)

Keep in mind that you may have to dilute it with water and also that it provides Vitamins together with exfoliation.ITS SUPERIOR.

I think that lemon juice might irritate the skin
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
panoslydios wrote:

Then you dilute it Wink
If it still irritates you then its a cleansing reaction Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
butterflyrainbow wrote:

That's what I've used Salicylic Acid for in the past. Clean & Clear used to have this awesome concealer stick that was made with salicylic acid but it was a concealer. It was perfect for those blemishes that pop up now and then; it covered them and it treated them at the same time. Not sure why they discontinued it. For "peels" and that sort of thing I use glycolic acid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:

Then you dilute it Wink
If it still irritates you then its a cleansing reaction
Wink

Not sure I believe this.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just saw Neostrata has a toner with 2% salicilic and 10% glycolic acid.

Glycolic acid is the AHA of choice. Its small molecular size makes it effective in removing the build-up of dead cells on the surface of the skin. This solution contains 10% glycolic acid, the highest allowed, and an ideal pH for better results.
Salicylic acid, a beta hydroxy acid, acts as an antibacterial pore cleanser. This solution contains
2% salicylic acid.

http://neostrata.ca/products/-category/acne-care/toning-solution-level-2/128/

I might try it next as I was using their other toner a long time ago...

-right now am using Garnier toner w 2% salicilic, it is ok and cheap...was only $7.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |