Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Olive Oil--Effectiveness as Humectant vs. Glycerin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skinknee

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:52 am      Reply with quote
I've seen olive oil described many times online as a humectant. But I can't find any specific comparisons between olive oil and other commonly used humectants such as glycerin and sorbitol. Does anyone know how olive oil compares with these substances in terms of its effectiveness as a humectant? Thanks
havana8

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if you've seen this related article but it divides the moisturizing ingredients you listed above (as well as others) into three classes--occlusive, humectant, and reparative--with olive oil in the occlusive class:

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/05/09/what-are-the-differences-between-occlusive-humectant-and-reparative-moisturizers/

This textbook includes olive oil in with the occlusives and compares its ability to resist water vapor loss with petrolatum:

Occlusives: Oily compounds that can dissolve fats, occlusive agents are incorporated into skin care formulations in order to coat the SC and prevent TWEL. In addition to inhibiting TEWL, occlusives exhibit emollient properties, and are therefore appropriate products for treating dry skin. Petrolatum and mineral oil are thought to be the most effective occlusive ingredients. Used as a skin care product since 1872, petrolatum is also considered one of the best occlusive moisturizers, as well as the gold standard by which other occlusive agents are measured. Notably, petrolatum is thought to display a resistance to water vapor loss that is 170 times that of olive oil. Unfortunately, many consumers deem petrolatum to be cosmetically unacceptable because of its greasy texture. Other frequently used occlusive ingredients include paraffin, squalene, silicone derivatives (dimethicone, cyclomethicone), soybean oil, grapeseed oil, propylene glycol [functioning as both a humectant and occlusive agent], lanolin, lecithin, stearyl stearate, and beeswax.

Humectants: Humectants are hygroscopic, water-soluble substances. In conditions with at least 80% humidity, humectants applied to the skin exhibit the capacity to attract water from the external environment, as well as from the underlying skin layers, to the skin surface. In low-humidity conditions, however, humectants applied to the skin can absorb water from the deeper epidermis and dermis, thus contributing to TEWL and exacerbating xerosis. Combining humectants with occlusive products can help prevent such results.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=9-ALWZhXomAC&pg=PA933&dq=olive+oil+textbook+skin&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Kq4bUa2EK4qkiQK85YHYDQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=olive%20oil%20textbook%20skin&f=false

Glycerin:

It is important that a humectant agent when used as a moisturizer component be combined with an occlusive ingredient as application of a humectant alone can increase TEWL. For example, topical glycerin (glycerol) when applied alone to skin increases TEWL by 29%.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=feR61KKYPjkC&pg=PT315&dq=TEWL+by+29%25&hl=en&sa=X&ei=76wbUZK7FaS6iwK2hoCQDg&redir_esc=y

A potent humectant, glycerin has a hygroscopic capacity similar to that of NMF. In a 5-year study comparing high-glycerin moisturizers to 16 other popular moisturizers applied to 394 patients with severe xerosis, investigators found that the high-glycerin products were the most effective because they rapidly restored dry skin to normal hydration and their effects lasted longer than all the other moisturizers, including formulations containing petrolatum. As revealed by ultrastructural analysis of skin treated with high-glycerin preparations, glycerin expands the SC by augmenting corneocyte thickness an creating greater distance between corneocyte layers. Glycerin also stabilizes and hydrates cell membrances and the enzymes needed for desmosome degradation.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=hfpfAhW71OkC&pg=PA97&dq=glycerin+atlas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=va0bUfbELsj9igLCnIC4Aw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=glycerin%20atlas&f=false
skinknee

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the response. Yes, interestingly I've seen olive oil classified as an occlusive, a humectant, as well as an emollient. That's some good info on the occlusive properties.

Does anyone know any sources that describe olive oil's humectant properties, specifically as compared to other humectants like glycerin? Despite tons of online references to olive oil's humectant capabilities, I've yet to see a citation to a study.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have no clue where I read this, but there was a blog somewhere that said olive oil is more of humectant because it has more OH groups than other oils. (Does it? I don't even know.) Then I started looking around, and apparently it's the general consensus that o.o. is a great humectant. I'm pretty sure that theory is bunk-and-a-half because all triglycerides have that same glycerol backbone....and obviously oils don't suck up water like proper humectants do. If they did, we wouldn't need emulsifiers!

I think this rumor got started because olive oil soaps don't crack and dry out as easily as other soaps. That's the only thing I can guess, honestly. I racked my brain trying to figure this out for a good long while. I've got nothing.

I wanted to look into whether or not olive oil emulsions held water better than other types of emulsions, but I never really did because the whole thing just seemed silly to me. Even if they do, it's not the olive oil alone that's doing it.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have read claims of olive oil being a humectant (which I don't see how that's possible) and an occlusive (which I can understand). In any case I have been avoiding using olive oil on my skin after reading studies published on Pubmed that olive oil causes damage to the skin barrier. I guess under certain situations that might be of benefit because that might increase product penetration. I personally want my skin barrier healthy and intact as much as possible.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:
I have read claims of olive oil being a humectant (which I don't see how that's possible) and an occlusive (which I can understand). In any case I have been avoiding using olive oil on my skin after reading studies published on Pubmed that olive oil causes damage to the skin barrier. I guess under certain situations that might be of benefit because that might increase product penetration. I personally want my skin barrier healthy and intact as much as possible.

...and now that I think about it, if olive oil causes damage to the skin barrier, then it is not an occlusive either. I don't know what it is when it relates to skin, but I did not like the way my skin felt when I applied olive oil to it. Now, I have read studies that when taken internally, olive oil improves the skin (if there was a defficiency in EFA's to start with).
skinknee

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |