Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Scar cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ADA 88

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 am      Reply with quote
I have tried a lot of products for my scar, and nothing helped. A friend from Sweden sent me something new to try but I am skeptic. She told me that she has seen the creams efficiency live at the hospital where she works. Do any of you know anything about this cream? livita.se/products/contrakel
Confused Confused Confused Confused
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have not used this product so I have no personal experience with it. I was just looking at the ingredients in it and to me it looks like a really emollient moisturiser. I did not see any special ingredient that has been studied and proven to reduce scars. However it contains vaseline which does have some studies that have shown white petrolatum to be helpful in the repair of the skin barrier. The allantoin is a really good anti-irritant, then there's vit A and E which are beneficial to skin. It has thickeners, emollients, emulsifiers, preservatives so it looks like a rich moisturizer for very dry skin. To me this seems somewhat better formulated than Mederma or Scargo. Give it a try.
Where is your scar BTW? How did you get it, how old is it? How did you treat it when the injury happened? There's a lot you can do to improve the appearance of scars, so maybe if you give us some more information on it, we can work up a few more ideas in addition to the scar cream.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Rosehip oil and helichrysum the best scar massage oil.

Scarguard the best paint on treatment for raised scars, it flattens them.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Catski, in your experience using the rosehip oil and helichrysum oil mixture how many times a day did you massage it on the skin and how long did it take for the scars to fade?

Also, do you know how many drops of helichrysum to rosehip oil worked the best for you? if we were to try to make a 1 oz bottle of this do you know the correct amount of each to mix together for it to be the most effective?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I do it by feel, Indium.. I've made various strength potions over the years. I had deep striae and rips in my skin like old fashioned stocking runs after my second pregnancy... I have used dermarolling and copper peps, glycolics and emu oils, dermabrasion and finally rosehip oil with helichrysum.

The truth is, different scars heal at different times, even parts of the same scar heal quicker than other parts.

Massage twice a day is definitely the best thing.

Exfoliation and massage.

I have used very strong % of helichrysum and weaker, depending on how I feel and how much I have left. I used Tamanu oil also as it is supposed to be good for scars, but never found it to be particularly so.

For fading of scars, turmeric and sandalwood paste is excellent: mix the powders with rosehip oil and exfoliate with it then leave it on to soak into the skin, for as long as you can, before bathing.
laced

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Kelo-Cote Gel?
I've used this about a year ago to get rid of a bad scar I had on my leg from a fall, it helped so much to both lower the scar and make it look less discoloured.
Kdvwest
5% products discount

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I have used very strong % of helichrysum and weaker, depending on how I feel and how much I have left.

For fading of scars, turmeric and sandalwood paste is excellent: mix the powders with rosehip oil and exfoliate with it then leave it on to soak into the skin, for as long as you can, before bathing.

Was curious where you get your helichrysum at?

I see that "helichrysum(italicum)"(no dilution) is going for $40 per 5ml(.2oz). I read at a few reputable places that italicum seems to be the best type(of the 4) when it comes to what people use(or should use) for scarring due to it's "y-curcumene" content.

Carrot oil should also be looked @ for scars/pigmentation. It's much cheaper than the above, but they both are claimed to work fantastic.

Would probably rate it as Helichrysum Italicum > rosehip/carrot oil, but all 3 would make a good topical for red marks & scars outside of any rolling/peels/high % AHA or BHA.

I never heard of people using sandalwood powder(just the oil), but it seems very intriguing and I'm going to look into it Smile Thanks.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have yet to find anything that helps keloid scarring. I am skeptical of anything that claims to help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
ADA 88 wrote:
I have tried a lot of products for my scar, and nothing helped. A friend from Sweden sent me something new to try but I am skeptic. She told me that she has seen the creams efficiency live at the hospital where she works. Do any of you know anything about this cream? livita.se/products/contrakel
Confused Confused Confused Confused

" Purified water, olive oil, paraffinium liquidium, vaseline, glyceryl stearate SE, propylene glycol, urea, cholesterol, allantoin, phenoxyethanol,vitamin A palmitate, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, isopropyl myristate, triethanolamine,polyperfluromethylisopropyl ether, ethylhexylglycerin, tritcum vulgare germ oil, BHT, vitamin E acerate. "

The ingredients of this cream seem completely useless for scar healing and harmful (BHT is supposed to be very harmful )

I have had good success with Mederma Advanced for hypertrophic scars...

I think a simple olive oil massage would be better than livita...
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 am      Reply with quote
laced wrote:
Have you tried Kelo-Cote Gel?
I've used this about a year ago to get rid of a bad scar I had on my leg from a fall, it helped so much to both lower the scar and make it look less discoloured.

I have used a lot of silicone gels and also silicone sheets. They are ok. Not that great. Wink

Yes, helichrysum is really expensive. Last time I bought it I went onto ebay Croatia and ordered it from there... it's really good pure stuff and cost much less. The smell of it is gorgeous.

Another thing for scars is lugols. Iodine shortage in our bodies makes scars stick around longer. I often load lugols into my massage blend, in the palm of my hand, before applying it. It seems like the scars just eat up the iodine ...no yellow remains at all. The scars seem to calm down when they get iodine.

I did try strivectin, too, years ago. It was ok. It helped fade.
Faith1147

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am not aware of what kind of scar you are trying to heal, but I know of something that really works very well. It is given for patients to use after surgery. The way my body heals on certain parts would leave thick bumps. (I have on my ears from where they were pierced). I had a blemish on my chest that could not wait to go away and unfortunately I was left with something worse. I had the thing for years. I researched it and found silicone scar sheets. I went to the local drugstore and picked up the off brand. I cut the sheets in small pieces and placed them on the scar. I did this with other scars as well. The big one is virtually gone and the smaller ones vanished. It is amazing. I just slept with them on every night. Now we would think I learned my lesson from before but I need to start using them again for yet another. But they work, seriously. It takes a while, but not too long. The color and size just start shrinking. I wasn't even consistent with it either. I am sure if you were it would be gone in no time. I hope this helps.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Faith1147, welcome to EDS! Are you in USA, if so which brand of the silicon sheets did you get and? Thank you
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have used silicone sheets on hypertrophic scars, for about 14 weeks and didnt notice much change. I wore them 24/7 except when washing.

Scarguard worked quickly and palpably.

Different things for different people, unfortunately there's generally no 'one size fits all' when it comes to skin care. Wink
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
very true catski!
ADA 88

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 am      Reply with quote
After my accident (2 y ago) I had to go through knee surgery that left me with a BIG scar. So no more short dresses for me!!! I've tried 4 different scar creams one of them oil based, but nothing happened. The silicon based ones just made the scar dry and irritated.
What is BHT? If the cream is a medical device then It has to be approved and have some kind of medical proof or…?
I will give this Contrakel cream a try and let U know how it goes.....Keep your fingers crossed!
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the rosehip seed oil suggestion.

It has worked very well with surgical scars on my neck and tummy - fresh scars that had already scabbed over.

It takes time, but worked very well. I think the act of gently massaging the oil in also helped reduce the scars as well.

Now the scars are very flat, with no discolouration.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:49 am      Reply with quote
How long did it take you to get to that point, lamicuz?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Iodine tincture works for raised scars.
But needs dedication.
When you put the stuff,the skin sheds fast and in a constant rate that is being replaced by hardened dead skin.This action creates a rush for the skin to begin regenerate from the bottom.
And this is the best kind regeneration,from bottom to up.
Thing is iodine tincture or lugol's make the skin really ugly.
I wish i was that crazy to be out for 2 weeks with a stain on my face.
I used also white iodine on face(since it doesnt stain) and i can say i have interesting results.
But i will ask the pharmacy next time to make me a heavier concentration(like 2-3%).

So for raised scars ,iodine is gold.
I will post my link when the scar has become really flat (most of it has become already flat,but the stain of iodine and the scubbing,dont make the perfect condition to take a photo now,so i have to wait a bit).
Anyway keep in mindd the iodine thingy:)

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
For me silicone sheeting seems to help... At least, post surgery they have seemed to help prevent any raised scarring.

I just got a nasty keloid scar on my knee from a fall - kind of strange because I've never had a keloid scar before. I've got some silicone sheeting so we'll see if it works. I think it's important that the sheet exert pressure on the wound - so it's sometimes good to use some surgical tape to apply even more pressure on top of the silicone sheet.

I've also heard that you can combine silicone sheeting with stuff like dermarolling and silicone scar gel. I might try this actually. So far I've been wearing the silicone sheet 24/7 for a few days.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether I've asked this somewhere before, but are you sure helichrysum smells good? I'm fairly certain that I bought some years ago for fading acne scrars and couldn't stand the smell. It was very expensive and from a reputable distributer.

I googled and found the scent described as everything from straw like & woodsy/fruity to medicinal. What I had was very strong and by far the worst smelling of any essential oil I've had.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Smell good or smell not good.. very subjective I guess. Wink
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:28 am      Reply with quote
are you sure its that expensive.?i found helichrysum oil at amazon.co.uk for like 15 pounds>

Could you please give more details about the helichrysum oil and how do you apply it mix it etc?

Thank you

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 am      Reply with quote
£15.00 for how much oil?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I bought the scar sheets and am going to give them a try on my keloid scars, cannot hurt at this point!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've done some single needling on a hard hypertrophic recently and it is early days yet, but it definitely has softened it up and flattened it some, and made it more receptive to pressure massage.

I'm going to continue the experiment with a series of single needling treatments and will report back.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |