Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Academy Awards gowns were stunning
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
cherallynne forcella
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I thought the gowns/hair/makeup at the Oscars were lovely. It's so nice to see the 'old Hollywood' type glamor again. Some of my faves were Jessica Chastain, charlize Theron and the always stunning Halle Berry. I thought Seth McFarlane did a great job and I enjoyed every minute of it!
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
cherallynne forcella wrote:
I thought the gowns/hair/makeup at the Oscars were lovely. It's so nice to see the 'old Hollywood' type glamor again. Some of my faves were Jessica Chastain, charlize Theron and the always stunning Halle Berry. I thought Seth McFarlane did a great job and I enjoyed every minute of it!

really didn't watch it,
but every once in a while was summoned in to pop a peek (and did... to ease my curiousity)
-wondered what Halle Berry's dress would have looked like without the shoulder pads
-what was with all the bridal-gown look alikes?
-thought the fashion designers generally did a good job of selecting the appropriate look/style for each of the celebs that they partnered with...(based on the tidbits I caught)
cherallynne forcella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I thought the same thing about Halle's gown - the shoulder pads were a bit much. Jennifer Lawrence's gown was pretty, but the train was also too much.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
cf, ever wonder what happens to gowns/dresses after the fashion-value galas blow over?

I can't imagine celebs ever wanting to be seen wearing a particular gown again.
(a celeb exclaiming as she's standing at her closet: "Oh, and I wore this to the 2013 Grammy's...but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it ever again...)
maybe they donate them to charities for fund-raising efforts?
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Celebs get the dresses loaned from fashion houses on horribly strict terms with tons of small print, they don't pay for the dress, accessories or the jewelry, but they have to wear exactly that dress with that shoes and this clutch. It's all for publicity and most of the celebs couldn't afford the stuff even with their salaries anyway. That cream colored Dior haute couture gown on Jennifer Lawrence - €300'000 easily. And they don't get to keep them, those contracts are very strict.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I really liked the white gown worn by Charlize Theron. She looked like a goddess in it....
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Celebs get the dresses loaned from fashion houses on horribly strict terms with tons of small print, they don't pay for the dress, accessories or the jewelry, but they have to wear exactly that dress with that shoes and this clutch. It's all for publicity and most of the celebs couldn't afford the stuff even with their salaries anyway. That cream colored Dior haute couture gown on Jennifer Lawrence - €300'000 easily. And they don't get to keep them, those contracts are very strict.

didn't know that. thankx.
thought I overheard some celebs saying things like
"I asked him to make me something that..."
and "he made me this..."
and "she tried hard to make me a..."
referring to what they were wearing

Your answer clears up
why celebs were so zealous in answering the question "And who-o-o-o are you wearing?"
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote
^ It depends, I guess. Some celebs especially the big names do get away with making own demands and they sometimes actually are friends with some designers and they do go to fittings (more like the fittings come to them, though) and it's actually true that this or that dress was made for them and all that. But it's best taken with a huge grain of salt, because everything, literally everything, said on the red carpet is scripted in advance, even the off-hand jokes and lines that seem like unintentional juicy gossip.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
^ It depends, I guess. Some celebs especially the big names do get away with making own demands and they sometimes actually are friends with some designers and they do go to fittings (more like the fittings come to them, though) and it's actually true that this or that dress was made for them and all that. But it's best taken with a huge grain of salt, because everything, literally everything, said on the red carpet is scripted in advance, even the off-hand jokes and lines that seem like unintentional juicy gossip.

yep...
Hollywood-glamour chatter becomes part and parcel of Hollywood's smoke-and-mirror stuff..
i'm gullible Laughing
any idea what really happens later to the items worn? (they're all so custom, one-of-a-kind)
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Kath91 wrote:
... what really happens later to the items worn?...

The glam of the Oscars is WAY over
but I'm delighted cuz just recently got an answer re: fate of those gowns thanks
to a charming source (dress shop owner) providing this link:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/24/the_brief_wondrous_life_of_an_oscar_gown/

Thought I'd quickly update...

--Short Answer:-- Per fashion protocol, Oscar styles get knocked off and originals get archived and the whole process starts all over again in November...(so goes the cycle of the fashion industry...)
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |