Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
How often do you re-apply your facial sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
millyaulait

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
So, I'm using retinoids & obviously need to use sunscreen on my face...

But what I've been reading is that no matter the SPF or PPD you must re-apply your sunscreen every two hours.

Is this true - and if so how do I do this daily when I wear makeup every day? Do I really have to remove my MU, apply SS, re-apply MU every two hours, just to be protected?

I mean, of course I want to be safe, but applying every two hours seems horrific when wearing MU. Sad
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hello!

I apply in the morning, and if I am going out at all for longer than 5 minutes in the sun before 4pm (6pm in summer), I will reapply completely.

Sunscreen degrades on your skin almost immediately upon exposure to the elements. Chemical sunscreen degrades upon exposure to sun (the chemical changes that protect you are paradoxically catalyzed by sunlight), and physical ss just degrades or loses efficacy with time.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:46 am      Reply with quote
If I am going to work, I put on SPF and then makeup. I don't put on more unless it is the summer and I put on a powder SPF over the face and neck for the drive home.

Or at least that is my plan! Smile

If it is an outside all day kind of day, then I put SPF on every 2 hours.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Only chemical sunscreens need to be re-applied every 2 hours. They break down in UV light. Even indoors. Who would want to or could do that religiously??? More the reason to use zinc oxide sunscreen.Preferably one with 15% plus zinc.
shelliegal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I apply sunscreen then my make up. After work, I apply sunscreen again and then use hour glass ambient dim light for a all over before driving home. This seems to work for me.

5% products discount

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new here so excuse me if I don't know how to post this correctly.. But I use badger sunscreen which is pretty durable and greAt if you don't mind looking a bit pale. It has a white cast but that's fine by me because that's how I know I need to reapply(when my "ghost face"disappears)
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
Only chemical sunscreens need to be re-applied every 2 hours. They break down in UV light. Even indoors. Who would want to or could do that religiously??? More the reason to use zinc oxide sunscreen.Preferably one with 15% plus zinc.

What if your sunscreen is both chemical & physical (see below)?

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bright+Skin+Moisturizer+Broad+Spectrum+SPF+30+Sunscreen_46195.htm
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:

What if your sunscreen is both chemical & physical (see below)?

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bright+Skin+Moisturizer+Broad+Spectrum+SPF+30+Sunscreen_46195.htm
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
millyaulait wrote:
So, I'm using retinoids & obviously need to use sunscreen on my face...

But what I've been reading is that no matter the SPF or PPD you must re-apply your sunscreen every two hours.

Is this true - and if so how do I do this daily when I wear makeup every day? Do I really have to remove my MU, apply SS, re-apply MU every two hours, just to be protected?

I mean, of course I want to be safe, but applying every two hours seems horrific when wearing MU. Sad

I wear a lotion sunblock that I put on under my makeup in the morning. I do not ever reapply that. I do, however, use this over the top of my makeup as a "makeup setter" and I keep one in my purse to reapply during the day. I live in the rainy West Coast of Washington State, so it's not necessary to reapply sunscreen every two hours every day here. But I do reapply it on sunny days.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I will re-apply my sunscreen if I'm in beach. If you feel the sunscreen does not work well, you can try have an umbrella or wear a hat.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
grandmajuju wrote:
Hi, I'm new here so excuse me if I don't know how to post this correctly.. But I use badger sunscreen which is pretty durable and greAt if you don't mind looking a bit pale. It has a white cast but that's fine by me because that's how I know I need to reapply(when my "ghost face"disappears)

I Loooove badger! I like their unscented sport sunscreen which I can't wear by itself without it settling into the lines around my eyes. I always have to mix it with mmu and another water based sunscreen. As long as everything I'm mixing is at least spf 30 I know I'm safe.

I use pf quite a bit, but I use their mineral wear line because it's all mineral based.
lagay
5% products discount

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 am      Reply with quote
I've always wondered this as well. A good solution might be to take make-up wipes with you to work and apply sunscreen 15 minutes before leaving? This assumes, of course, you are going straight home or you aren't someone who can't be seen w/o makeup.

I just think reapplying over makeup is going to be uncomfortable...
bluebell
5% products discount

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:55 am      Reply with quote
I use every day Peter Thomas Roth SPF 30 oil free with a few Antioxidant in, a great cream not only a sun cream but Anti aging, I do not apply it every 2 hours, unless I was in the sun for a few hours, and I try to stay out of the sun after a few hours
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use Lancome UV EXPERT and apply twice per day.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Once a day- in the morning before going to the office and again on my way out the door. On weekends I sleep pretty late so only once still.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I usually only apply once. I make sure that I wear a photostable formula that will not break down in the sun.

I work in an office so I am not out at all. I do wear it everyday.

Physical filters are naturally stable.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Depending on the dryness of my skin and whether I need additional color, I use Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45, Physicians Formula Powder Foundation or a Japanese makeup setting spray SPF 50 with zinc oxide. None of these interfere with existing makeup. The key is to use a physical sunscreen as these do not need to be absorbed into the skin.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
Killykilly

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I use Ego Sun sense Ultra Milk 30+ on my face everyday, even on a cloudy day. In my opinion, you would only need to apply your sunscreen once a day unless you are sweating a lot.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Killykilly wrote:
I use Ego Sun sense Ultra Milk 30+ on my face everyday, even on a cloudy day. In my opinion, you would only need to apply your sunscreen once a day unless you are sweating a lot.

Chemical sunscreen becomes inactivated by exposure to UV rays. So if a person is outside or even sitting near a window, their sunscreen is being degraded over time.

Using a physical sunscreen, you may need to apply less often if the barrier is still intact enough to reflect the UV rays.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am      Reply with quote
This is why I almost never wear foundation to work -- I go out at lunchtime and reapply sunscreen. I can't see myself putting a whole face of foundation back on. I use Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25, which has a slight tint so it "splits the difference" and I can layer it. I'd like to find a pretty parasol and just use that instead, frankly.

Do all mineral powder foundations have natural sunscreen?
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people are still discussing removing makeup to reapply lotion sunscreen when there are so many powder options. Would you seriously remove all your face makeup every day to apply a lotion sunscreen several times? Seriously?? Confused Confused Confused

5% products discount

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Softskin, I have collected parasols for years and am in the habit of carrying one in sunny weather. In the beginning I felt a bit conspicuous, but quickly got over that and learned to just enjoy the shade and the occasional compliment. I am also fond of wide brim hats. I live in the Deep South and the sun here can be quite oppressive; I am very uncomfortable if I am unexpectedly caught bareheaded in the sun. I hope that you will find a lovely parasol and shield yourself from uv rays while making a charming fashion statement.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
ellatu wrote:
Softskin, I have collected parasols for years and am in the habit of carrying one in sunny weather. In the beginning I felt a bit conspicuous, but quickly got over that and learned to just enjoy the shade and the occasional compliment. I am also fond of wide brim hats. I live in the Deep South and the sun here can be quite oppressive; I am very uncomfortable if I am unexpectedly caught bareheaded in the sun. I hope that you will find a lovely parasol and shield yourself from uv rays while making a charming fashion statement.

I'm in Western Washington, the sparkling, green, wet "west side". My husband was born and raised in Los Angeles. He came up here on a sunny, hot day in June. One of the first things he said was "the sun just BEATS DOWN here". LOL The sunshine in L.A. is always "filtered" through the smog and he's used to that. We don't have that here; I'm on the coast, away from Seattle. I suspect that the fact that I use some of the strongest sunscreens is a GOOD thing. Laughing Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't apply enough sunscreen even though I try and it's honestly a bit foolish to think 1-2x a day is enough. Sorry, but it's true.

The best I can do is stretch the time a water resistant physical or mixed (zinc and/or titanium + something else) sunscreen stays on my skin up to 6 hours. But I wouldn't trust that protection in full-on midday sun. And 6 h looks like this: 1st layer, then another layer 1/2 h later, setting powder or makeup fixing spray (both work equally long with sunscreen).
Lately with my skin needling adventures I run around with red face more often than not, but 2 layers of tinted sunscreen cover that. More or less.Rolling Eyes So with physical/tinted sunscreens I can see perfectly where sunscreen is applied and where I missed a spot because when applied in the required quantities they cover redness about as well as a good foundation. Without any fixing/setting that sort of thing lasts no more than 4 hours, after that there is less stuff left on my face and the red peeks through = no protection. 100% physical 40 minutes water resistant sunscreen in a rather boring climate, no excessive moisture to melt it off. Result consistent with my findings using other similar sunscreens.

And those powders, like PTR or Colorsciece sell, they don't protect against anything, even when caked on in thick layer. The only powder that seemed to work was one with 25% bulk zinc+25% bulk titanium and left a wonderful blue-red hue on skin, probably reason it was discontinued. Those light powders - you're cheating yourself and earning sun damage points if you believe touchinh up with them extends sunscreen.

When I used the ugly blue-white physical sunscreens and hid the ghoulish color with makeup they tented to last quite long as well, but never a full day. 8 hours maybe. With a lot of wishful thinking.
So I switched to tinted sunscreens, less steps and easier re-application. I'm still in the process of training myself to re-apply every 3 hours, but it proves very difficult because I lose track of time at work.

Point of this too-long ramble is that no matter what someone says or writes, sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2-3 hours. Says so on the bottle for a reason. Does not matter that it's 20% zinc or whatever. Does not last all day long. It may outlast some chemical sunscreen, but after ~4 hour mark there is not enough to give you those promised protection ratings, whatever they may be. And I think we all know that sporadic and incorrect sunscreen application defies the reason we use it - to prevent photoaging.

Not trying to lecture anyone, everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their skin. Just sharing my experience.

Now exuse me, emla has kicked in and I'm off to the torture chamber.Shock

Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |