Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Baking Soda WOW-Best cleansing Agent?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I cleansed my face today with baking soda.
1 teaspoon of baking soda,2 teaspoons of water,
to make a watery paste.
I have never used a better cleansing agent than this.
Face looks and more importantly feels clean.
Anyone using baking soda for cleansing?

I have read also that afterwards you may want to put vinegar(1:8 with water) just to baance the ph after the soda which is basic in nature and the vinegar acidic.
I didnt do this stp but i plan on doin it .

Speaking about this kind of things,it is adviced to put at night a mask containing egg raw white and fresh lime juice.I might try this as well.

Any relevant experiences?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I think it would be better to use it once in a while and not as daily regimen.. I cant be sure as I have not tried it.... but extreme pHs are not good for skin, especially basic pHs..
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I recall a few people whose opinions I trust (on eds) advising against this. You could do a search if you're interested.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I recall a few people whose opinions I trust (on eds) advising against this. You could do a search if you're interested.

Yeah i have seen many people advice it against.
But as i wrote,one could put afterwards 1:8
vinegar-water paste to balance the face's ph.

Also there are some weird dudes with 1 post,
claiming that baking soda made their face to break out,which sounds really weird for baking soda.

Btw a link how baking soda treats cancer.
http://healthnews.benabraham.com/html/stop_cancer_with_baking_soda.html

Internally i would begin to take 1 teaspoon
baking soda with 1 teaspoon of lime juice or vinegar.

When it comes to cleansing it really rocks,but i think one should go less abrasive and wash immediatey after cleansing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Personally, I wouldn't inflict any of that to my worst enemy's skin. However, I'm curious how it works out for you in long term.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't inflict any of that to my worst enemy's skin. However, I'm curious how it works out for you in long term.

Actually, sodium bicarbonate makes bath water softer, especially when used with Epsom salts. Sodium bicarbonate is detoxing... When taken internally, Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) can make the body less acidic...less acidic = anti-aging. This information can be found anywhere on the net. In fact, at one time Arm & Hammer box gave different recipes for medicinal purposes as well.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
It makes sense. The baking soda is going to exfoliate because it's gritty, and remove bacteria because it's alkaline. You can just use an acidic toner afterwards which is what toners were originally intended for. It would probably be better to use something neutral or slightly acidic in the first place, but you can't have everything.

That being said: I've tried this before and my skin absolutely HATED it. My first instinct was to blame the high ph, but I used to use castile soap and oil to wash my face. So that's not it. Maybe it was the sodium ions? No way to tell. I'm glad others have found a cheap alternative but I'll have to sit this one out.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't inflict any of that to my worst enemy's skin.

Hi jazzi! Could you say a bit more about your strong antipathy here? What experience or knowledge is your point of view based upon? Please share!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I see this all of the time on Pintrest and I have tried it myself with no adverse reaction after trial and error. It has soooo many practical uses from toothpaste to stomach soother.
I think, as with anything new, go slow. I rubbed too hard the first time not realizing it was more abrasive than it felt and it did leave the skin a little raw. Plus, I don't do it all the time, just maybe bi-weekly.
You don't need much or for very long!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
It makes sense. The baking soda is going to exfoliate because it's gritty, and remove bacteria because it's alkaline. You can just use an acidic toner afterwards which is what toners were originally intended for. It would probably be better to use something neutral or slightly acidic in the first place, but you can't have everything.

I agree. Sure, you can normalize the p/h of your skin again by applying another product, but why put your skin through that in the first place, unless you're sure there are significant advantages to doing so. I haven't read of advantages from baking soda worth the ordeal.

It is cheap and natural, but as I understand, taxing to your skin, while there are far better things available. Even things cheap & natural.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am with all who say heck no to baking soda. My skin hated it and I kicked myself for even trying it. I had tried it as a clarifyer for my hair and it turned my hair to a hard-bristled brush. I really blame the high pH. Don't even like Castille soap on my skin or hair. I am with LoriA: why create a problem so you can fix it when there are other ways to exfoliate.

Baking soda is good for internal use though, and that is the way I would use it. Never on my skin.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I am with all who say heck no to baking soda. My skin hated it and I kicked myself for even trying it. I had tried it as a clarifyer for my hair and it turned my hair to a hard-bristled brush. I really blame the high pH. Don't even like Castille soap on my skin or hair. I am with LoriA: why create a problem so you can fix it when there are other ways to exfoliate.

Baking soda is good for internal use though, and that is the way I would use it. Never on my skin.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
Actually, sodium bicarbonate makes bath water softer, especially when used with Epsom salts.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate which is a compound found in hard water. When you add sodium bicarbonate to magnesium sulphate, you create magnesium carbonate which means the magnesium ions are no longer suspended in the water causing hardness. So the water you made hard with epsom salts is softened when you add the sodium bicarbonate. You don't really need epsom salts and they don't improve the softening properties of baking soda.

It could be that a lot of people who report good results have hard water so the softening property of the baking soda makes the water feel better on their skin.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:
Actually, sodium bicarbonate makes bath water softer, especially when used with Epsom salts.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate which is a compound found in hard water. When you add sodium bicarbonate to magnesium sulphate, you create magnesium carbonate which means the magnesium ions are no longer suspended in the water causing hardness. So the water you made hard with epsom salts is softened when you add the sodium bicarbonate. You don't really need epsom salts and they don't improve the softening properties of baking soda.

It could be that a lot of people who report good results have hard water so the softening property of the baking soda makes the water feel better on their skin.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
aprile wrote:

jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Hi jazzi! Could you say a bit more about your strong antipathy here? What experience or knowledge is your point of view based upon? Please share!

Alkali solutions damage skin. Plenty of recent research to prove that. It's not detrimental if something basic (> pH 7) is applied on face, once, twice a week, but doing it more often makes skin lose it's integrity, increased water loss, inflammation and less resistance to infections are the results.
Putting some baking soda in bath water won't do any harm, there is a ~150-300 liter bath tub and usually people use 1/2 cup of baking soda for a soak, it's waaaay less than 0.5% concentration. And there is 1 spoon of soda and 2 spoons water...
The other thing is the abrasive properties of baking soda. It scratches and tears skin, simple as that. Inflicting that upon skin no matter how often is just asking for trouble. I think even estheticians are advising against grainy scrubs nowadays, because even they have noticed how people end up with broken capillaries after using those products. Customers just think that those grains/beads are effective because if the rosy glow and skin is swollen and it looks for the moment like pores and fine lines are gone, but it's just irritation and ticket to long term skin damage.

Vinegar on the other hand is ok for skin, it basically diluted acetic acid (among others). But I doubt it can help against the damage soda does.

It's really one of those things where I read what people do to their skin, wince, shake my head in disbelief/confusion, re-read the whole thing and then still think, why on earth???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 27, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:

It's really one of those things where I read what people do to their skin, wince, shake my head in disbelief/confusion, re-read the whole thing and then still think, why on earth???

i know what you mean! when people start doing extreme things to their skin, their skin is in good condition n is able to take the abuse, but after a while is when it hits em what they have done... and then begins the process of baby-ing n healing the skin!
Bessie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi panoslydios - I use a mixture of baking soda and honey (about a tablespoon of each). It does foam quite a bit but subsides in a few minutes. I pre-mix it so it's ready when I shower. I apply this to my face and neck, massage it in, wait a few minutes and rinse off. My skin feels great - the honey moisturizes and keeps the baking soda from being too drying/harsh. Cheers, Bess
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |