Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

12 months in: Stick w/ Retin-A, or switch to something else?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gentlemango

Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I started using 0.025 tretinoin gel about a year ago. Built up to using a scant amount every night. (I use zinc oxide sunscreen in the morning, and that's my entire skincare routine.) I haven't seen much difference over the past year, which was disappointing because I thought Retin-A was going to make me glow.

I'm in my late 30s and my main problem is large, orange-peel pores.

What do you think? Am I not being patient enough? Should I reorder and stick with the Retin-A? What are my other nighttime options, if I wanted to switch to something else? I'd like a smoother skin texture and wrinkle prevention.

Thanks!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
My pores are way smaller than they once were. You might take a look at my routine in my signature for ideas.
I however, had great success with tretinoin, and with vitamin c before that. Maybe try vitamin c?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have gave up on retin-a à year a go, after a few years of trying and trying.

I'm sure it works well for wrinkles and so.. But, what is the use if your skin does not look well in the end ? I often had pelling skin or dry looking skin.

Any way, now my skin have not look so good in a long time.

Good cleanser, C vit in the morning, a good Matrixyl cream morning and night + sunscrean. Regular extraction of black heads (the one that come out easly only).

Maybe, I will not prevented wrinkles as much as I would with retin-a but I know longer care. I prefere a radiant healthy looking skin.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
chantrelle99 wrote:
I have gave up on retin-a à year a go, after a few years of trying and trying.

I'm sure it works well for wrinkles and so.. But, what is the use if your skin does not look well in the end ? I often had pelling skin or dry looking skin.

Any way, now my skin have not look so good in a long time.

Good cleanser, C vit in the morning, a good Matrixyl cream morning and night + sunscrean. Regular extraction of black heads (the one that come out easly only).

Maybe, I will not prevented wrinkles as much as I would with retin-a but I know longer care. I prefere a radiant healthy looking skin.

if retin A causes irritation then it should be used ever other day or even every 3 days or so...
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Forgot to say my pores were worse with retin-a than now.

I fell my pores were more visible because in fact my skin was always under some kind of irritation and inflammation.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Also, check out the expiration date on your retin-a. I get mine from Walgreens and it expires pretty quick - like about a year.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
also, Retin A should not be the only arsenal in anti aging, there is so much good stuff out there... topicals as wells tools...
gentlemango

Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
daler, this is exactly what I'd like to know! What are the other tools to combat aging? The "copper peptides cause hideous skin damage" threads have frightened me away from those. I've got the major lifestyle things down -- enough sleep, enough water, no sugar/wheat, and daily exercise.

I guess that's my question: What else is out there in the anti-aging topical world? If I'm switching from Retin-A to some other kind of topical product -- now that my nighttime routine slot has opened up -- what would you all recommend trying out next?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 31, 2013 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
You didn't like what was already suggested?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
gentlemango

Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
You mean Vitamin C?
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:02 am      Reply with quote
There are other options, than what as been listed above. BHA are very good to smooth your skin and for pores reducing. AHA is very good also to smooth you skin. Lots of people like the ones from Paula's Choice. AHA and BHA really should improve your skin texture as well as helping with wrinkles.

I don't know if I would use retin-a with AHA and BHA. You would have to look in this forum about it.

I forgot to mention in my above list of what I use that one night out of two I use a AHA-BHA 8-2 one night out of two. And a gentle srub once a week.

You may want to kept one with retin-a if so you have to find out if reducing the usage would help you. But after 12 months if you don't see any improvement well it is time you make some changes to your routine. As I said maybe not take out the retin-a but at lease change the way you use it.

I find reading post here helped me a lot finding the correct skin care routine.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hello gentlemango Smile Yes, it is true that copper peptide is not for everyone. Test/check first if your skin can tolerate CP.. As for anti-aging, have you tried mild peel 1xweek? This will help renew your skin and penetrate the actives better. Using Retin-A won't be enough for your anti-aging routine. You also need topical vitamin C+E. You must include sunscreen to protect your skin too....
flasht75

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I think retin-a is a great thing to use for wrinkles. You can also get some AHAs to help with anti-aging. Have you considered getting some chemical peels?
flasht75

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Salicylic products and peels help with reducing the appearance of large pores also.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:36 am      Reply with quote
gentlemango, if you wish to try peels, best way is to buy a very mild peel (to DIY at-home treatments), say 5% concentration to start, until your skin get used to the products. EDS sells Juice Beauty Green Apple peel (organic) that you can buy. This is a gentle peel.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-green-apple-p_5122.htm

You can work your way up with a stronger concentration later. Don't do strong chemical peels to start if you are not familiar with it as it will cause more harm than good.

flasht75 wrote:
Have you considered getting some chemical peels?
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |