Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Laura Mercier "Tightline" eye liner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
This isnt a new product but I just discovered it, thx to a friend! Its a matte-black (comes in other colors tho) powder cake liner that needs to be mixed with water to a usable consistency in the pan with a flat liner brush.

It gets applied to the upper lash "tightline" area to make lashes look fuller and eyes more defined - much more full looking than just using a pencil liner and more natural looking than a liquid or gel liner. There's a learning curve to avoid having it transfer to the lower lash water line. Drying the tightline of the eyes before applying and then TRYING to avoid blinking while the liner dries is my trick.

A separate Activator is available but the LM girl discouraged me from using it, and reviews arent good for it. I use water and it works fine for mixing to a creamy paste.

From the LM website:
"tightline cake eye liner

An easy-to-use, cake eye liner that delivers long-lasting colour payoff that doesn’t fade throughout the day for flawlessly defined eyes. Applied with Laura's artistic technique using the Flat Eye Liner Brush begin underneath the root of the upper lash line and wiggle the brush between individual lashes.

(Black Ebony): Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Mineral Oil (Paraffinium Liquidium), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zinc Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)."
http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/Eye%20Liner_Tightline%20Cake%20Eye%20Liner_prod320008#ColorSampleLink_sku410013
$23/compact

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
is it waterproof?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 am      Reply with quote
The Activator makes it more "water resistent" but that stuff is hard to work with, the girl told me. With water as a diluent it is NOT water proof but if applied correctly and carefully it does not run or transfer. Its a steep learning curve and requires hours of practice tho to get it right. You may have to have one-on-one with the rep at the counter to get it right. I did.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
thx

i guess i just wondered how it would compare to the el-cheapo, non-posh Maybelline Waterproof Ultra-Liner...(that's working well)

the only criteria i ever had from an eyeliner
(used not on the undereye tear-line) was that
it created, very simply and very very quickly,
a super-fine line and
that it stayed on well
until i wanted it off
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kath,
Dunno, never used Maybelline Ultra Liner. The only liquid liner Ive used is Lancome and I hated it. The formula was hard to control and always seemed to be glopping on no matter how fine a brush I used.

Tightline is for using under the top lashes, not really as a liner above them, so its a little different.

The ingreds of the Maybelline Ultra Liner are:

Water/Aqua, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Acrylates Copolymer, Alcohol Denat., Butylene Glycol, VP/Dimethiconylacrylate/Polycarbamyl/Polyglycolester, PEG-75 Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Cellulose Gum, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Simethicone. May Contain [+/-]: Iron Oxides/CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Carmine/CI 75470, Chromium Hydroxide Green/CI 77289, Chromium Oxide Greens/CI 77288, Ultramarines/CI 77007, Mica, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891, Ferric Ferrocyanide/CI 77510.

The advantage I see of LM Tightline is that its easy to control the consistency by how much water you use, being a pressed powder essentially, so you can work with it better. Also, its a "sooty" black matte product & thats what I am looking for. Very dark black. Its all a matter of choice with makeup which is why its so fun!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
under the top lashes? Shock
whoaa!! a first for me

sorry that's new and foreign territory

i'm glad you found something for that
and shared your results

great review
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kath!

Its hard to explain, but this picture shows where its placed:

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

I tried tightlining before going to dinner the other night, and loved it! Now I am hankering for this product, and wondering what color to buy.

Fair skin, blue eyes, and auburn hair if anyone wants to make a recommendation....I did notice that the LM site carries many more color options than Sephora.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 am      Reply with quote
FYI that this video was very helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MfXQN5FlF2Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMfXQN5FlF2Q

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been looking for products like this, but in other-than-black shades as I am fair and black always is harsh on me.

Do any of you have recommendations for the best brushes to use for this method?

Thanks, BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I've been looking for products like this, but in other-than-black shades as I am fair and black always is harsh on me.

Do any of you have recommendations for the best brushes to use for this method?

Thanks, BFG

I used a brown shade of gel liner I had, and it looked great....not harsh at all.

I have an angled version of this brush, but am going to pick up this flat brush from Eco. FYI that these are awesome brushes...I have never understood how they are so cheap! They are carried at Walgreens, Target, etc.

http://www.ecotools.com/flat-eyeliner-brush

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Here is the recommended Laura Mercier brush:

http://www.sephora.com/flat-eye-liner-brush-P109956

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
This article recommends 2 other brushes in the last paragraph.

Quote:
Tightlining can be achieved with various types of eyeliner products including gels, pencils, and liquids. One of my favorite products for tightlining is Laura Mercier Tightline cake eyeliner ($22.00), which requires a simple flat topped brush such as the MAC 212 or Nars #2 (my two favorites) and a little bit of water.

http://www.temptalia.com/tightlining-why-its-life-changing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of tight-lining because whenever I tried to put eyeliner on the top of my lashes I could never get it straight plus it made me look "hard". Tight-lining gives a much softer, more professional look - and it's easier to do. I used to use a gel liner but I recently purchased the new Sephora pencil liner and it's even easier to apply. It's quite soft but has great staying power.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I've been tightlining for a few years. I first read about it in Sandy Linter's book "Wake Up Make up". She's a makeup artist and if memory serves she recommends black for anyone. She is reasonably fair in coloring as are many of the 'older' women in her book. It's a nice guide for make-up for women well over 40.
Recently I've been using an Almay liquid liner and I also have the Sephora twist-up liner. I do like Laura Mercier products so may have to give this a go. Thanks for all the suggestions. Tightlining is a nice look. (subtle yet has impact).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
The tightlining with brown has been so great for me that I keep forgetting to apply mascara on my light eyelashes, which really says something!

FYI that I started using a newer Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner I had on hand, and see no reason to purchase a new product until that starts getting dry. Then I will look at the Laura Mercier product.

I also noticed that most of the top rated "Push liner" brushes have synthetic bristles, and I suspect that is because they are a bit firmer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie, I just wanted to say THANKS for sharing this thread! It has made a huge difference in my eye makeup!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Fawnie, I just wanted to say THANKS for sharing this thread! It has made a huge difference in my eye makeup!

Bethany - I'm so glad this technique has helped you so much. Sandy Linter calls it Eye strengthening...
Her point is that our eyelashes thin, get sparser, etc and this fills things in without being harsh and looking too made up - the enemy of aging skin.

I have the Nars 2 brush. I bought it on Sandy's rec.

Fawnie- why is the activator considered hard to work with? Did they give you any specifics? I just like that it's more waterproof and I wear contactlenses .. may make a difference.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Great bethany so glad you like it too!

Hey Sis! The SA told me that the Activator bottle dries up fast, leaks and makes the cake hard so that you cant go back and forth b/t using it and water. ie, if you start using Activator you have to stick with it on the same cake. Dunno, didnt try it. I didnt check out MUA reviews - maybe they know.

But Im a lazy girl and I also use LM Kohl Extreme Liner. Its a twist up stick liner that is for the waterline and lashlines. I use it on the tightline now too ... because Im ... lazy! Doesnt smudge, stays on fine, no brush needed. Altho I do use a LM pointed liner brush to wiggle it into the lashes and wing it up at the outer corners.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments, yes, I see the articles recommends certain brushes. I guess I like to hear about the favored brushes of actually people here as well.

I like the look of tightlining - even though my lashes are more beautiful now than when I was in my 20s - all thanks to lash serums.

so doing both is a great look, I think
BFG
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
The activator doesn't appear to be a big hit at MUA. However, it should be known that I was mostly checking colors of tightliner and may not be completely accurate about the activator. Regarding colors, the Bleu Marine is a big fav all the way. Dark but not black and has a subtle amount of blue that makes the whites appear whiter. This is the color I'm going to try.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
I love tightlining. I have the Sandy Linter book also. It really makes your eyes so much more dramatic. I am still trying to find the ultimate Holy Grail product. I have used a lot of different products and they still "move" a bit probably due to being in upper waterline. I would love more suggestions on this!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I never did tightlining because my eyes would water a lot, especially during allergy season. I want to give this a try Very Happy

I have Serge Lutens eyeliner and I should see if that would work. I would want to get Laura Mercier in blue, because that would give a different look.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I recently bought the bleu marine color from LM and I totally love it. I've used it everyday since I got it. I've had no problems with movement onto other areas.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to get a great three color LM tightliner set with a great brush a few years ago .I would buy the kit again just to get another of the great tightline brushes. The one I got had a brush at each end but the thin regular tightline brush she sells now has the best brush for this technique. The LM tightliner is much more like watercolor paint than the BB or other gel liner, which I love for regular lining. It does require a learning curve but once you get it, it makes for a good look for your eyes. Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |