Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Heliocare and other sun protection pills - what's new?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:34 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I've read the threads on Heliocare and other types of sun protection pills and am wondering if there are any brands you can recommend. I have melasma and will be going to Australia for a month so thought I'd try some added sun protection. I read on an old thread that Heliocare has a non-US and a US version. Which version is better?

Is there a good online store to purchase (hopefully at a good price). If I buy on eBay - are there fakes?

Thanks in advance!

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I would take around 8 mg of Astaxanthin, 20 mg Lycopene, and 20 mg Lutein. You can try Helioplex also but I'm not convinced it works any better than any of the ones I just mentioned.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
I would take around 8 mg of Astaxanthin, 20 mg Lycopene, and 20 mg Lutein. You can try Helioplex also but I'm not convinced it works any better than any of the ones I just mentioned.

Thanks Pandax12 - That's a good idea and I will add those to my daily supplements. But would still would like to try Helioplex for the days I will be in full sun for hours. Hopefully someone can update us on the latest developments in sunscreen pills...

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Heliocare has clinical studies behind it, and the primary ingredient is Polypodium Leucotomos Extract. I am very pale, and saw a definite difference when I took it during long car trips (3+ hours) here in Florida.

Here is some additional info:

Quote:

March 20,2013

New Study Shows Heliocare's Key Ingredient Benefits Skin's Systemic Defense Against UV

BASIS Medical Technologies, the Canadian Distributor for Heliocare (TM), is pleased to share new research validating the efficacy of its' key ingredient Fernblock(TM) or Polypodium Leucotomos Extract (PLE).

Heliocare, an oral photo protectant, was recently approved by Health Canada and will be available to Canadian physicians and consumers in spring 2013. This most recent research corroborates over 12 years of clinical studies supporting this unique technology's benefits as a source of antioxidants to protect skin from the effects of sunlight.

Polypodium leucotomos decreases UV-induced epidermal cellproliferation

The Journal of Experimental Dermatology has published new clinical data regarding Polypodium Leucotomos and its ability to counteract the effects of harmful UVR (Ultraviolet Radiation) related to tumor promotion. Polypodium Leucotomos (PL) decrease UV-induced epidermal cell proliferation and enhances p53 expression and plasma antioxidant capacity. P53 which is also known as protein 53 is a tumor suppressor protein which stops the formation of tumors.

UVR is considered the primary cause of non-melanoma skin cancer, produces reactive oxygen radicals that may induce or promote carcinogenesis and tumor progression by inducing DNA modifications. A single dose of UVR induces significant changes in blood and skin.

Topical sunscreens are the obvious form of protection against UVR, but they work well only against the local effects of UVR and their efficacy in long-term exposure is controversial, thus, the use of systemic (oral) photoprotection to complement topical sunscreens is a good strategy.

Results confirmed that PL increased anti-oxidant capacity in erythrocytes and plasma, and also maintained antioxidant enzyme levels in epidermis after irradiation. After oral administration, PL also increases elastic fibres density maintaining a normal configuration, and this supports its antiphoto-ageing effect by countering photo-induced elastosis.

http://www.basismedtech.com/basis-news.php?id=23

A couple more links:

http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/heliocare-and-fernblock-sunscreen-in-a-pill/

http://www.lovelyskin.com/details.asp?PID=115851

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I buy FernCarePLE before every vacation. It has the same amount of Polypodium Leucotomos as Heliocare, but twice cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FHRL2S/ref=pe_309540_26725410_item

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
I buy FernCarePLE before every vacation. It has the same amount of Polypodium Leucotomos as Heliocare, but twice cheaper.

Awesome find! I'll have to compare the complete list of ingredients between the two products.

I also checked Amazon thanks to you, and found Heliocare for much cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E25USU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UILHLLDUMCAM

Editing to add ingredients list...virtually identical!

Ferncare:
Supplement Facts Serving Size 1 Capsule Amount per capsule: Polypodium Leucotomos (Calaguala) extract 20:1 Other Ingredients: Corn Starch, Gelatin, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C yellow #6

Heliocare:
Ingredients
240mg Polpodium leucotomos (Calaguala) extract (leaf); Corn Starch, Gelatin, Magnesium Sterate, Titanium Dioxide (color), FD&C Yellow 6

Directions
As a dietary suppliment, take 1 capsule daily in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
YB wrote:

Awesome find! I'll have to compare the complete list of ingredients between the two products.

I also checked Amazon thanks to you, and found Heliocare for much cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E25USU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UILHLLDUMCAM

Editing to add ingredients list...virtually identical!

Ferncare:
Supplement Facts Serving Size 1 Capsule Amount per capsule: Polypodium Leucotomos (Calaguala) extract 20:1 Other Ingredients: Corn Starch, Gelatin, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C yellow #6

Heliocare:
Ingredients
240mg Polpodium leucotomos (Calaguala) extract (leaf); Corn Starch, Gelatin, Magnesium Sterate, Titanium Dioxide (color), FD&C Yellow 6

Directions
As a dietary suppliment, take 1 capsule daily in the morning.

Thanks for the find YB and for the ingredients list Bethany!

This site says FernCarePLE has the same amount (240mg) of Polypodium Leucotomos as Heliocare - http://www.pharmacydirect.com/FernCarePLE-Polypodium-Leucotomos-240mg-p/ferncare60comp.htm

I wonder what is the difference with Heliocare's Fernblock as that is patented so FernCarePLE cannot be identical. See http://mpcegy.com/heliocare.php: "Fernblock (PLE Polypodium leucotomos)...is patented and currently registered in Europe, Asia, and the Americas...Fernblock is distributed in over 26 countries as Heliocare."

Editing to add this dosing amount: "The photoprotective dose in healthy humans is 7.5 mg/kg" from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257081/ So that means one 240mg pill per 32 kg (70.4 lbs). The recommended dose for both brands is take 1 capsule daily in the morning but this is not enough for full protection.

Last query: Any tangible difference between US, European and Asian versions of Heliocare? I see the US and European versions both have 240 mg and European version adds betacarotene. Worth seeking out non-US version?

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Last query: Any tangible difference between US, European and Asian versions of Heliocare? I see the US and European versions both have 240 mg and European version adds betacarotene. Worth seeking out non-US version?

Now that I think about it, when I ordered Heliocare in the past (like 3 years ago) I purchased it from New Zealand because it seemed to have a more advanced formulation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
denisiel wrote:

Now that I think about it, when I ordered Heliocare in the past (like 3 years ago) I purchased it from New Zealand because it seemed to have a more advanced formulation.

Hi bethany, any particular reason/s you didnt continue taking it?

Also,do you know if it protects skin from burning only or does it prevent tanning too? TIA

It was on cbs news last night, looks like it's being promoted in USA now...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Hi bethany, any particular reason/s you didnt continue taking it?

Also,do you know if it protects skin from burning only or does it prevent tanning too? TIA

It was on cbs news last night, looks like it's being promoted in USA now...

Honestly, failure to take them on a regular basis. I recently cleaned out my supplements cupboard and was ashamed at how many had expired years prior! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I really can't speak to the tanning aspect, because I pretty much only burn. But I would previously burn though SPF85 and the car window during a long drive, but would not burn when I added the Heliocare. I guess I stopped taking it when I stopped traveling as much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, If it is of any use, the last couple of summers I've had to work several hours outdoors -a lot of hours!, so with quite a bit of sun...
I use sunscreen but I also discovered the Heliocare Ultra D last summer,...and it prevented any sunburn, I did get a tan but no sunburn and practically no hyperpigmentation -which is my ususal problem during summer season which I then spend half of the autumn-winter trying to get rid off!!!
Whether it is Heliocare or any other product with the Fernblock-Polypodium Leucotomos, plus vitamine D that protects the skin, I highly recomend!

EDTA: I haven't found any English page, but this is the Heliocare product I take: http://www.heliocare.es/productos/ultra-d
You can read the composition easily even if in Spanish. Vitamine C, lycopene, etc.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Hi, If it is of any use, the last couple of summers I've had to work several hours outdoors -a lot of hours!, so with quite a bit of sun...
I use sunscreen but I also discovered the Heliocare Ultra D last summer,...and it prevented any sunburn, I did get a tan but no sunburn and practically no hyperpigmentation -which is my ususal problem during summer season which I then spend half of the autumn-winter trying to get rid off!!!
Whether it is Heliocare or any other product with the Fernblock-Polypodium Leucotomos, plus vitamine D that protects the skin, I highly recomend!

EDTA: I haven't found any English page, but this is the Heliocare product I take: http://www.heliocare.es/productos/ultra-d
You can read the composition easily even if in Spanish. Vitamine C, lycopene, etc.

Thanks ATester! Is there a store or online shop in the US where you ordered it?

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HELIOCARE-ULTRA-D-ONLY-ONE-WITH-see-descript-/200828997179#vi-content

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
ATester wrote:

Thanks ATester! Is there a store or online shop in the US where you ordered it?

Nope!... I'm now living in Spain, Europe, so I just bought it at the local pharmacy... If it is not possible to buy the original product I would certainly search for the Polypodium Leucotomos -or Fernblock, and then you can add vit. D, lycopene, vit. C.... but I do believe the active is the Polypodium Leucotomos.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HELIOCARE-ULTRA-D-ONLY-ONE-WITH-see-descript-/200828997179#vi-content

Thanks bethany! Do you think there are fake Heliocare? I am a bit wary to order off of eBay and Amazon for anything that can be applied topically or ingested. I have received fake makeup from sellers with high feedback scores.

ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again,
While Bethany was posting I was writing...!!
Just to say I checked out the ebay web that Bethany found, great find!!!,... and as far as I can see it is totally legit, the owner has this page as owner of the pharmacy "Farmacia de la Flor", in Avilés, the north area of Spain:
http://es.linkedin.com/pub/juan-de-la-flor/48/580/359
And sells through ebay completely legal products, he could lose his license as a pharmacist if not.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Hi again,
While Bethany was posting I was writing...!!
Just to say I checked out the ebay web that Bethany found, great find!!!,... and as far as I can see it is totally legit, the owner has this page as owner of the pharmacy "Farmacia de la Flor", in Avilés, the north area of Spain:
http://es.linkedin.com/pub/juan-de-la-flor/48/580/359
And sells through ebay completely legal products, he could lose his license as a pharmacist if not.

Thanks for the detective work ATester! Good to find a legit seller.

Isn't the internet great - bethany in the US, you in Spain, and me in Asia and we are chatting like we are in the same room Smile

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:

Isn't the internet great - bethany in the US, you in Spain, and me in Asia and we are chatting like we are in the same room Smile

Love it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
denisiel wrote:

Love it!

So do I!! Very Happy
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
what about this one, its so much cheaper and 60 caps!:

http://www.amazon.com/Heliocare-Oral-Capsules-60-capsules/dp/B001E25USU/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373750712&sr=1-4&keywords=heliocare

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Polypodium-Leucotomos-active-ingredient-FernCarePLE/dp/B005FHRL2S/ref=pd_sim_hpc_6
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I buy my Fernblock (same actives) from Life Extension lef.org. It is NOT the cheapest place to buy it.

I recently added Astaxanthin to my morning vitamins/ supplements and seemed to kick up the protection a notch. In other words, I always wear sunscreen but get the tan line around my neck. Since I added in the Astaxanthin, it is fading.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |