Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Intermittent fasting IGF-1 & Ageing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am interested to know what your thoughts are on the theories behind intermittent fasting or calorie restriction. I am reading one to the 5:2 diet books and I have no doubt that a person following the plan would lose weight. It appears to me that most of the beneficial effects of the diet such as normalising blood sugar levels and reducing cholesterol would occur with just about any weight loss and exercise programme and in the book I am reading (The Fast Diet) one of the big benefits of intermittent fasting it touts is a decrease in IGF-1 which the book claims that higher levels of contribute to accelerated aging and aging related diseases such as certain cancers and cardiovascular disease. Lower levels of IGF-1 as far as I can make out induce a metabolic process called Autophagy which in the book is described as a repair process and this is one of the ways it claims to be anti-ageing.

It sounded good to me so I went online and started looking up IGF-1 and Autophagy and as a skin care nut I was especially interested to see how this impacted on how your skin ages, I was expecting to find that lower levels of IGF-1 preserved your skins youthful appearance but what I found was that higher levels of IGF-1 are associated with a more youthful appearance in this paper: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780503

I have certainly noticed that practitioners of CRON such as Lisa Walford do have an aged facial appearance. I accept that they may prefer to concentrate of longevity and I love the idea of optimal nutrition but I personally do not want to look gaunt and prefer a bit of fat under my skin.

Further reading seems to suggest that researchers are fairly split on if lower levels of IGF-1 and autophagy are a good or bad thing and it seems like it is a bit of both. I also read that higher levels of IGF-1 activity were associated with greater longevity and was protective of heart health in the elderly: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080527084252.htm

There also seems to be a lot of research suggesting that if you interrupt and stop the process of autophagy especially in relation to heart health that it is actually better and that is part of the benefit of including things like turmeric, cocoa and green tea in your diet as they contain compounds that interrupt autophagy. It is all explained a bit better in this article: http://www.jackkruse.com/the-quilthow-to-beat-agin/

I am not saying that intermittent fasting is bad and it is widely accepted that higher levels of IGF-1 are linked to certain cancers (Prostate cancer and pre-menopausal breast cancer I think). I don’t have any background in science so I am not 100% sure of my interpretation of papers I have read but it looks to me like the jury is still out on the pros and cons of IGF-1 .
Many especially in the body building community advocate increasing IGF-1 to delay aging and I am not sure about that either as it just seems that these metabolic processes are not yet fully understood but are currently just different parts of the jigsaw still waiting to be put together. I am interested in any other forums users thoughts of intermittent fasting and how you have interpreted the data regarding IGF-1 and its effect on aging?

Note:
There also seems to be some link between higher levels of IGF-1 and over production of sebum, acne and enlarged sebaceous glands but I cannot locate any reserch papers at the moment to link to.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
This article covers some of the research on Acne and IGF-1: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3051853/
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I think there needs to be more research done so we understand it's effect better. Too much of even a good thing can be bad.

I actually think fasting every once in a while can be a good thing (for people who don't have issues with maintaining their blood sugar, of course.)We didn't evolve having 3 square meals a day. There were times of famine. Maybe this is one of the processes put into place to make lemonade out of lemons.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't IGF for men primarily

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I think that IGF-1 is taken in supplement form by body builders, mostly men but it also occurs naturally in the body. Some people think that it is bad while others think it has beneficial properties. Having high levels seems to promote certain cancers but having high levels of IGF-1 is also associated with lower percived age (i.e. less skin wrinkling). Its protective or harmful effect on heart and cardiovascular health seem to be contested at present.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |