Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I'm trying to understand skin discolouration...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LucyK
5% products discount

Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I try to understand something about skin whitening creams/products, their mechanism of action. What I don't understand is this: Different definition between whitening, lightening, color uniformity and etc. Rolling Eyes
I try to understand the needs for those terms. For example, if a young lady has different patches of color on her face, she can use BB cream or something similar and cover it up. But what if a lady in her 50 or 60 has dark spots all over her face BB cream will not help a lot, only decoratively. How to get read of those nasty age spots forever for older ladies? Can age spots be cured forever and never returned back? What type of product to use that dermatologists are using for themselves or recommend to use for their best clients to make age spots, melasma and other skin discoloration completely disappear?
Please explain to me about all this whitening creams in the simple terms, like for a novice.
I appreciate any comments, thank you. Very Happy
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
LucyK wrote:
I try to understand something about skin whitening creams/products, their mechanism of action. What I don't understand is this: Different definition between whitening, lightening, color uniformity and etc. Rolling Eyes
I try to understand the needs for those terms. For example, if a young lady has different patches of color on her face, she can use BB cream or something similar and cover it up. But what if a lady in her 50 or 60 has dark spots all over her face BB cream will not help a lot, only decoratively. How to get read of those nasty age spots forever for older ladies? Can age spots be cured forever and never returned back? What type of product to use that dermatologists are using for themselves or recommend to use for their best clients to make age spots, melasma and other skin discoloration completely disappear?
Please explain to me about all this whitening creams in the simple terms, like for a novice.
I appreciate any comments, thank you. Very Happy

I think Paulas Choice has a good skin lightening product. And to prevent more from coming back you would have to use sunscreen every single day even in the winter, even when it rains. Very Happy
Cynthiabb
5% products discount

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 am      Reply with quote
My friend said the stone mask of Eminence organic has whitening effect ... Another way is to use pearl powder with yogurt as mask
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 am      Reply with quote
The way I understand it, those words on packaging are meaningless. The labels aren't made by the same people who mix up the formula, marketing folks think up the descriptions and create the loopholes and care about the image of the product.
The active ingredients are the ones that largely determine the result. Formula as such has an impact as well, of course. You can buy two products with identical ingredient lists and same concentrations, but the result might vary. Same in kitchen, with same ingredients different tasting dishes can be prepared. Anyone trying out DIY may have noticed this when duping a formula. Laughing
Anyway... The removal of pigment requires a three-fold approach: 1) the use of pigment suppressing active, arbutin, hydroquinone and others. 2) exfoliation, to force skin cells to move the pigmented layers to move upwards and make place for the lighter layers, glycolic acid and retinoids are proven to be most effective. 3) sun protection, first because otherwise skin will darken again soon and second de-pigmented skin is more vulnerable to UV rays in general.
It's actually quite easy when taken the gradual route, 6-12 months of consistent use. Or the aggressive approach, like the Obagi program.
Everything that promises instant result is suspicious, not possible to fundamentally change skin overnight or in a week or do.
Multiple actives deliver better result, for example, licorice+niacinamide+glucosamine+arbutin would be kinder to skin than just hydroquinone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
BB cream is basically supped up makeup. Makeup doesn't "cure" anything.

Lasers, vit C, hydraquinone, retin a, peels, dermal needling - all these things will help your mythical 50 year old woman. Wearing SPF will keep new age spots from developing. Using brightening products all directed is also important.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
sun protection is the most effective skin lightening action one can take, IMO.. even while indoors, either have v thick curtains so its almost dark even during daytime or wear sunblock... i know people dont like it, but it's the truth.... my face has almost always been darker then t rest of my body and since I have been v careful about sun exposure ( i added v thick blinds on all my windows), for few months now, my faces almost matches the rest of me and I am v happy with the result.... one should take vita D supplements though...

just wanted to add, I enjoy outdoors, and I am out quite a lot during the day time but always have sunblock on....

Its quite painful for me to see all these folks, sitting right in front of huge windows with sun shinning all day long.... with no sun block!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |