Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you DIY?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: How often do you apply homemade treatment to your skin?

More than once a day
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Once a day
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Once a week
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Once a month
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Never
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

projectbeauty
5% products discount

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I just thought it would be interesting to get a picture as to how often (if ever) people "create" their own skin care from home.

It could literally be anything:

- Steam with essential oils
- Home remedies
- Natural lotions
- Body scrubs
- etc. etc.

Personally I combine products with some remedies I make from home. I just wanted to see what the majority of people do as far as DIY skin care.

Just use the poll to submit your answer.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
So far today I've used 5 DIY creations; an epsom salt scrub on my body, OCM on my face & neck, a toner, a moisturizer, and a serum. Tonight I'll add some more to that list.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I use oils I mix for OCM but that's the extent at the moment. I used to make a recipe for C-serum - actually my favorite was posted by Fawnie on another skincare forum, but I'm into other things at the moment (copper peptides).

I also made my own version of LUSH mint cacao lip scrub - rocks!!!
So my DIY varies from none to a few times a week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I play *kitchen magician* once a month at most.

- Antioxidant lotions & creams which I use head to toe

- Antioxidant Serum for the days I want something light

- Masks (assorted, depending on my mood)

- Vitamin/Mineral water based gels for use with an occasional gadget treatment

- Solid (decorative) body butters (great for gift giving too!)

Bottom line for me on the subject of DIY, it's absolutely the very best thing anybody can do for their skin. It's beyond effective, totally affordable, and best of all, you are in total control of it all. My skin is rocking, head to toe, with a healthy glow that I didn't have even 10 years ago.

And the BEST part about being an avid DIY'er... You'll have no need to follow the pack, or shell out hundreds (or thousands) of $$$'s, on jars and bottles filled with little more than empty promises.

You've got the power Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
So far today I've used 5 DIY creations; an epsom salt scrub on my body, OCM on my face & neck, a toner, a moisturizer, and a serum. Tonight I'll add some more to that list.

Wow so I'm presuming you only use DIY treatment then?

Is this something you have always done or just recently?
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:07 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I use oils I mix for OCM but that's the extent at the moment. I used to make a recipe for C-serum - actually my favorite was posted by Fawnie on another skincare forum, but I'm into other things at the moment (copper peptides).

I'd be mega interested in trying out the lip scrub you made. Was it easy and do you have a recipe?
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
And the BEST part about being an avid DIY'er... You'll have no need to follow the pack, or shell out hundreds (or thousands) of $$$'s, on jars and bottles filled with little more than empty promises.

You've got the power Very Happy

That's exactly my mindset. I'm not a 100% complete DIYer, but it certainly makes up the majority of my skin care routine.

Since I started down this path, I've seen nothing but positive results.

Thanks for sharing that Kassy Smile
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:11 am      Reply with quote
So far it's about a 50/50 split for those who DIY and those who don't.

Pretty interesting findings because if you went back 10 years ago, I doubt there would be that many people making their own skin care products.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
projectbeauty wrote:
Chlorophyll wrote:

Wow so I'm presuming you only use DIY treatment then?

Is this something you have always done or just recently?

I've been DIYing for 5-6ish years. I'll use commercial products every now and then, but the ones that work well are far too expensive compared to DIY.

I'll never understand why people are so fascinated with brands like Burt's Bees and LUSH. Borax and beeswax emulsions? All oil serums? Meltable blocks that are mostly cocoa butter? Just read the ingredient list and make that stuff yourself! It's so much cheaper and you know exactly how much of what goes in!
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with Chlorophyll. Although if you're time crunched some of the pre-made alternatives may be more appealing.

My stock moisturizer for years has been 50/50 hyaluronic acid & emu oil emulsion mixed in my palm. Works like a charm, not too greasy but just enough moisture. Plus you can adjust for environmental conditions (less humidity = more emu, etc.). Sometimes I'll take a little dab of R-alpha lipoic acid powder and dissolve it into the HA before adding emu. I don't know if the ALA actually penetrates my skin when doing this, but it seems to. And I like it.

I do other things like C and water serum. I've also done some liposomal vitamin C serum that I really liked how it brightened my skin, but after a few days it builds up in your pores and you start smelling like a fish (probably from the choline in the lecithin base). So, sadly, no more DIY liposomal preparations.

By and large, nothing fancy. I believe in KISS. Very Happy
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
I do other things like C and water serum. I've also done some liposomal vitamin C serum that I really liked how it brightened my skin, but after a few days it builds up in your pores and you start smelling like a fish (probably from the choline in the lecithin base). So, sadly, no more DIY liposomal preparations.

Wow I can't believe it started smelling like fish. I can't say I have come across that before. I wonder what caused that to happen?
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 am      Reply with quote
There are so many good products in the world, why do you DIY? May be simple and safe, but may not be effective.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 am      Reply with quote
projectbeauty wrote:
Yubs wrote:

Wow I can't believe it started smelling like fish. I can't say I have come across that before. I wonder what caused that to happen?

Again...probably from the choline in the lecithin base. I used lecithin granules dissolved in water for the base, and then used an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to mix that with l-ascorbic acid into liposomal solution (ultrasound waves vibrate the l-ascorbic into lecithin-based liposomes). The recipe is actually for cancer patients to cheaply high-dose themselves (like, 8000mg/day) on a very bio-available form of vitamin C (i.e., liposomal C, which is really expensive if you buy it already prepped).

Liposomes are also a good delivery method for topical preparations as they can effectively penetrate the skin. So I did this recipe and used it as a topical solution.

Lecithin is very high in choline, which is also one of the components that make fish so good for you. Hence the fishy smell over time. I think it just built up in my pores. It didn't happen right away, but after a couple of days I was like "What's that smell?" Think Then I realized it was coming from *me*. Yikes! Shock Laughing
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
luyan wrote:
There are so many good products in the world, why do you DIY? May be simple and safe, but may not be effective.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I do it because it is more effective, cheaper and fun. You have total control over the preservatives, extracts, % of ingredients, etc. Why would DIY be less effective? There are aa serums with a ph above 5 on the market! When you make most of your products yourself, you get quality control.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
luyan wrote:

I can't speak for anybody else, but I do it because it is more effective, cheaper and fun. You have total control over the preservatives, extracts, % of ingredients, etc. Why would DIY be less effective? There are aa serums with a ph above 5 on the market! When you make most of your products yourself, you get quality control.

You are exactly right Chlorophyll! But I want to make a point about vitamin C serums (I assume 'aa' means ascorbic acid): Some forms of ascorbic acid can tolerate pH above 5, such as AA2G, ascorbyl lactoside and MAP. Or maybe thats what you meant too: that we dont have to settle for the irritating low-pH C serums if we DIY.

Part of the cache of dpt store brands is the preeeeetty packing tho:

$1 worth of ingredients in a $699 jar! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
$699? Seriously?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I was talking about l-ascorbic acid specifically. 5 is too high of a ph for all of it to penetrate. Sometimes cosmetic chemists even....

TEH JARZ IS SO BEAUTIFULS!!!!!!

I firmly believe pretty packaging is the main cause of mark up. ^_^
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
projectbeauty wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

I'd be mega interested in trying out the lip scrub you made. Was it easy and do you have a recipe?

I do and I'll dig it out and post it on this thread. It's so easy and a dead ringer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
$699? Seriously?

Oh But look at that Jar

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
The Dior L'or de Vie Extrait is $700/15ml bottle, so yeh. $1 worth of product in a $699 bottle. All it contains is 2 kinds of ectoin and some grape vine extract. And the usual suspects as far as emollients, emulsifiers, silicones, stabilizers, fillers and preservatives... They're glamouring ya!

And that is why I DIY.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
I was talking about l-ascorbic acid specifically. 5 is too high of a ph for all of it to penetrate. Sometimes cosmetic chemists even....

TEH JARZ IS SO BEAUTIFULS!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Since we're talking DIY -
Here is a helpful, short VISUAL for helping put together DIY C serum (a forum favorite). I've used this one!!!
It's always a plus to see it in action.
I first saw this on fawnie's thread on another forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwnMxRL7J5w

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I only do lotion masks during the summer. Disinfection is my top concern as a neat freak Embarassed
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Im a germaphobe too! My DIY conditions are a lot cleaner than any factory I daresay, since I know who is touching what.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
I love to have the best of both worlds. Hence, I do both: I DIY and I buy ready-made products some of which are very expensive.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |