Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Carmen the Great
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I love Carmen Dell Orefice, now 82 years old, modeling since she was a teen. She speaks her mind and seems very down to earth despite her haughty model poses. She comes from a very poor background and never would have experienced the dazzling life she has led if not for fashion. Fascinating interview with some controversial statements, including one of her beauty secrets. Zoom in on her model card which lists her sizes and measurements and tell me there is no vanity sizing today!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2355862/Carmen-DellOrefice-82-year-old-model-reveals-secrets-lasting-success.html
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Carmen is a real inspiration. Haven't read this yet, but does she make her "spakle" analogy?

Truly an elegant woman.

mis
wishful skin
5% products discount

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
What's so great about a person who had everything in life handed to them because of the way they look? She grew up during the depression...everybody was poor.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
At the time when Carmen started modelling (I think she was 15) it was a barely respectable profession. She is one of those who paved the way for all who followed.

Modelling is harder work than you might think, and while it is true that a certain symmetry of features and proportionate body are the entry requirements, it takes artistry and strength to help create the type of photographic work that is generated. Carmen has worked very hard and is still working in her 80s.

Check out Richard Avedon.
wishful skin
5% products discount

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Considering she sounded clueless about her experience, and didn't know what she was doing at 15, I don't think it was about her artistry and strength. Some people are just more photogenic than others. I know of a woman whose daughter was walking in a mall and was approached by a modeling agen when she was 13, she now models in Japan. She just had the right looks, at 13 they're not picking models for their strength, personality, or artistry.

Obviously, anything you do in life requires effort and some amount of work. But anyone who says modeling is hard work doesn't know the meaning of physical labor. They're not coming home beet red, covered in sweat and exhausted all for a measily paycheck. I know a lot of models arn't necessarily rich, it's more about the perks and the lifestyle, but they usually go on to marry a very successful, rich man so they're covered either way.
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
wishful skin wrote:
Considering she sounded clueless about her experience, and didn't know what she was doing at 15, I don't think it was about her artistry and strength. Some people are just more photogenic than others. I know of a woman whose daughter was walking in a mall and was approached by a modeling agen when she was 13, she now models in Japan. She just had the right looks, at 13 they're not picking models for their strength, personality, or artistry.

Obviously, anything you do in life requires effort and some amount of work. But anyone who says modeling is hard work doesn't know the meaning of physical labor. They're not coming home beet red, covered in sweat and exhausted all for a measily paycheck. I know a lot of models arn't necessarily rich, it's more about the perks and the lifestyle, but they usually go on to marry a very successful, rich man so they're covered either way.

some good points, wishful....reality-does-bite sometimes
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
wishful skin wrote:

But anyone who says modeling is hard work doesn't know the meaning of physical labor. They're not coming home beet red, covered in sweat and exhausted all for a measily paycheck.

Totally agree.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:27 am      Reply with quote
wishful skin wrote:
at 13 they're not picking models for their strength, personality, or artistry.

I agree. That's why I don't like seeing teenagers modeling cosmetics and fashions that are more suitable to someone decades older. Thankfully, a lot of the supermodels of the past have made a comeback. I much prefer seeing them "selling" since they provide good examples of how I could look/dress since I am the same age.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
"I had little
self-esteem. Just because those men put me on the cover of Vogue, I didn’t have the insight about my own needs and desires to help my partners treat me the way I wanted to be treated. But we all tried. We just didn’t know how to stay together."

Well, I honestly think this is a marvellous phrase "Just because those men put me on the cover of Vogue, I didn't have the insight about my own needs and desires to help my partners treat me the way I wanted to be treated".
So honest. Food for thought.
Thanks Softskin, I've enjoyed reading the article, and I'm not judging at all, there is a time and a life to live at certain times. It is not easy to try to put yourself in other peoples shoes, and few people are capable of that. It's easy to critique.
The more older persons I know, including my mother who is 85 the more I realise how the rules of society can blind us from our real self.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |