Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
What is this process called?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I don't know where to put it.

What is the process/gadget called that an esthetician uses to suck the blackheads out of your skin? My mother said the esties at the salon she used to go to used this, but she can't remember what it's called.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a friend who's an esty but we don't get together or talk all that frequently and I keep forgetting to ask her Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 am      Reply with quote
They usually use a blackhead (or blemish or comedone) extractor....a little tool with loops on both ends. I have 2 different versions, but actually prefer using the round end of a bobby pin!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Extractions perhaps? Not sure about the sucking part, blackhead gun maybe?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
They usually use a blackhead (or blemish or comedone) extractor....a little tool with loops on both ends. I have 2 different versions, but actually prefer using the round end of a bobby pin!

Hmm. That simple, huh?

How to use the round end of a bobby pin? Just press down next to the blackhead?

Do you mind posting a link to one of your devices?

BTW, just got done taking some pics of my Dermajet session that made me go "eeeewwww" about the blackheads on my nose. Rolling Eyes Any advice on how best to get this handled will be greatly appreciated!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Where are you hosting your pics these days? My webshots acct is gone now. Sad

I just place the round end of the bobby pin around the blackhead and press lightly. that way it gets pressure on 3 sides and is pushed out. I'll find some links for you and post them when I get back to my computer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link to the one I use. Bliss also has the pore-fector. I don't have this brand but I never really had any luck with these kind of gadgets.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SEPHORA%20COLLECTION%20Double-Ended%20Blemish%20Extractor%20P0417&skuId=1408400&productId=P0417&_requestid=86774

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5rM89wgi87I&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5rM89wgi87I

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Cookie, I'll show that to my Mom and see if that's what was used on her.

Are they pretty standard when you get a facial?

Probably seems like a dumb question, but to my shame, I have never had a professional facial. Sad
bacchus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
The generic name for the Bliss Porefector is ultrasonic spatula. You can find them at all price points on eBay or Amazon. I have a cheapie one and it does work, though I use it only for the "cleaning" aspect of it, not for product penetration.
I use it for mildly congested pores. For a real blackhead, though, nothing beats the extractor.

Eta: the key to the spatula thingie is that your face has to have some water (or toner) on it for this thing to really work. So you've got to stop and respritz fairly frequently.
You can definitely over exfoliate with it, too, so use cautiously.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
If it looks like a metal stick that is pressed to the skin, that is called an extractor.

I have one like this - except I have loops on both sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Mehaz-Professional-Lancet-Extractor-Inch/dp/B0043G5XJK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_2

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Where are you hosting your pics these days? My webshots acct is gone now. Sad

I just place the round end of the bobby pin around the blackhead and press lightly. that way it gets pressure on 3 sides and is pushed out. I'll find some links for you and post them when I get back to my computer.

Photobucket. Free.

I'd appreciate any links on how to use these gadgets as anyone can give me. Smile
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Wait, did you mean a pore vacuum?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:

I'd appreciate any links on how to use these gadgets as anyone can give me. Smile

It is far easier than you may think!

Bobby pin method:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STpdlHvWC9o

Extractor:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=oq1c1iHQp8Q

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Yubs wrote:

It is far easier than you may think!

Bobby pin method:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STpdlHvWC9o

Extractor:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=oq1c1iHQp8Q

Cool beans! Thanks, bethany!

Chlorophyll wrote:
Wait, did you mean a pore vacuum?

I dunno. Maybe. Wink There is such a gadget? The way my mom described it, it seemed like maybe it was more of a "sucker" type thing.

Would some type of blackhead extraction be fairly standard in a facial?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 am      Reply with quote
There is the Panasonic pore cleanser with mist. That might be what you are talking about. I don't know how or if it works but have seen it online.

When I have had facials they use the metal extractors. It is a standard procedure during a facials that I have had.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EH2511A-Pore-Cleanser-Micro-fine/dp/B0002XG9X2

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NssXvAeKnHE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNssXvAeKnHE

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I have read that the suction devices can cause broken capillaries and are not recommended.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 am      Reply with quote
OMG! I have *got* to get me one of these! Laughing

Thanks for the vids, Cookie and bethany! Wish all our beauty problems were so simply solved, no?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, lenigirly says this is a waste and did nothing for her skin....I have never tried it, but I do know that whenever I've used pore strips, they seem to pull gunk out.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Wow, lenigirly says this is a waste and did nothing for her skin....I have never tried it, but I do know that whenever I've used pore strips, they seem to pull gunk out.

BFG

Pore strips do work, but a number of people have posted in various places that usage of the strips increased their pore size over time. Just something to be aware of, and to not overuse them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Wasn't there some kind of DIY pore strip made with gelatin or something like that? I can't quite remember. Maybe someone else will know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Wasn't there some kind of DIY pore strip made with gelatin or something like that? I can't quite remember. Maybe someone else will know.

I saw one with Elmer's Glue, lol

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

Pore strips do work, but a number of people have posted in various places that usage of the strips increased their pore size over time. Just something to be aware of, and to not overuse them.

FWIW, pore strips stripped a lot of the skin off my nose once (along with some blackheads). Ouch.
wishful skin
5% products discount

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I have blackheads galore on my nose and used to use pore strips regularly for months and then just gave up. I think they only remove the top of the blackhead, when I look at the strip I would see small dots of the oil, but when i use an extracter its like a ribbon of oil comming out. I think most of them are very deep set. I think they do increase the pore size too, and the pores just fill right back up with oil. It's a constant cycle. I've had better success by using a vitamin A gel, microfiber cloth and clay masks. I still have quite a bit and my pores are still large, but it's a lot more clean looking and less noticable.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
^ That's what every derm has said to me as well. The pore cleaning gadgets/strips/masks do work and get the plug out, but only retinoids in conjunction with salicylic acid help fight blackheads long-term. Everything else just removes the grime, but the distended open pore fills up with sebum and oxidizes in a matter of days again. Vicious circle. I know, 'cause I have tried like every pore cleaning thing under the sun and they just keep coming back... Retinol+acids take bit longer to kick in, but the effect is more profound. That said, I still have a sonic spatula, for some deep pore scrubbing. Cool I still get some stuff out with the spatula, but it's not gross and hardened anymore.
By the way, it is my opinion that those extraction facials are evil. They ruin skin in long term, do not target the actual problem and at least around here cost more than the actual solution recommended by derms and one also needs to keep coming back for more extractions. And then you are supposed to buy something for home use that doesn't contain any blackhead fighters.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
bacchus wrote:
The generic name for the Bliss Porefector is ultrasonic spatula. You can find them at all price points on eBay or Amazon. I have a cheapie one and it does work, though I use it only for the "cleaning" aspect of it, not for product penetration.
I use it for mildly congested pores. For a real blackhead, though, nothing beats the extractor.

Eta: the key to the spatula thingie is that your face has to have some water (or toner) on it for this thing to really work. So you've got to stop and respritz fairly frequently.
You can definitely over exfoliate with it, too, so use cautiously.

It is not a bid deal.
Personally I dislike facials- prob because I had to sit through so many dentist apts this year (at least 30 visits....had invisalign done and follow up....).
So now after that I have no patience to sit in front of someone and find anything like that awful.

For me any of the extraction things other people have tried always make me worse.
I have a problem with bruising extremely easily and bleed very easily from any small cuts that people messing with my skin make it look worse.

If my pores do not look clean, like if I had tons of sunscreen on or makeup I just use a clay and sulfur mask that has no oil and it absorbs all the "stuff" from your pores.
Your pores also look smaller for a while after you do this Smile
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:36 am      Reply with quote
They used to have a vacuum twenty years ago that is now off the market because it doesn't work. If there was a strong suction device capable of dislodging a sebum plug/blackhead, you are leaving yourself open to broken caps and bruising. Stick with the extractor.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |