Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Let's Bring the Parasols Back!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincare1988
5% products discount

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
As I have mentioned in a previous post, I did some damage to my skin due to excessive exfoliation and peeling. Today, I bought a sun umbrella for an extra layer of sun protection…but instead I get stares and weird looks from others. One woman took out her hand to see whether she felt any rain drops, and then gave me an eyebrow raise.

Well, umbrellas were initially invented to protect from excessive sun and heat. I don’t see why, to a certain extent, especially on very hot sunny days to use an umbrella. It was definitely not funny when my father was diagnosed with skin cancer, because he never used any sort of sun protection. I am not saying that an umbrella replaces sunscreen, but it sure helps prevent skin damage.

Let’s bring the parasols back. They are fun, I looked like a cocktail with my bright outfit and my colorful umbrella. After all of the judgment in the street, I could sure use a cocktail by now…
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I already have! I've been using sunbrellas for about ten years now, and love to collect nice ones.

I haven't had much negative feedback, but when I travel the Japanese ladies I see always smile and bow, as it is very common for Asian women to protect their skin from the sun, they even wear gloves in the tropics. They are surprised to see a Caucasian as wary of the rays as they are.

I am quite fair and even as a child my mother made me wear a hat. I only wish I had always used her advice as I got older, now I spend a lot of time undoing the damage I have done.

Next time I venture forth, I will definitely think about looking like a cocktail. Like that! And yes, it's time for one.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure where you live, but in Vancouver its certainly not common, but its not unheard of. Occasionally I even see people wearing elaborate sun hoods, though they do look like they're from foreign countries (Eastern Asia, usually).

If I saw some cool ones, I might buy. I'm sure that there's an untapped market out there, with the right design! With my low key look, I'd want something very plain, light colored, even "sporty" which might even say something alluding to UV protection on it somewhere.

I actually wear short, light, knitted, (poncho-style) scarves which are for the most part see through and drape nicely over my neck, shoulders & arms. I move them around depending on which side the sun's hitting me, and the breeze can still get through to cool me off. Best part is that they're so light, I can easily tuck them in my bag (probably 2-3" circumference bunched up), or as the sun goes down later in the day or the wind gets cold, gather them up for warmth. Love 'em!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Coolibar sell umbrella specially made for this. They are rated SPF50. They also have some protective sun drapes but you really have to want to stay out of the sun to wear one of those. I am sure you would get more looks wearing that then just using an umbrella.

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Sun-Accessories/Umbrellas-Shelters/pc/2264/2297.uts

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Sun-Accessories/Ultimate-Protection/pc/2264/2300.uts

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
good for you skincare1988! I wish I could do that but just cant... also to protect from sun rays black umbrellas are better than colored ones as black absorbs most of the rays....
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
You can find nice ones for no money in Chinatown. Chinese women use them all the time. I've been meaning to get one myself since I hate putting sunscreen on.
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I use a parasol every day for my walk!!
(and if i'm hangn in the sun havin coffee) I've got six - all different - two are absolutely gorgeous! google parasols and you'll find plenty
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought my third parasol at the Japanese Pavilion at Disney World and used it a lot n Florida...and got no weird stares.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I use parasols/umbrellas occasionally. I had this horrible alcoholic neighbor a while back who hated my guts (feeling was mutual, she had very messy boundaries) and she called the police on me once because it was "suspicious" that I was using an umbrella in the middle of the day. Rolling Eyes I know because another neighbor told me about it...apparently the alk told her, and was incensed because the PD declined to come check out the situation. Laughing

That's about the only weird reaction I've ever gotten to using a parasol/umbrella for shade. I like the idea and wish it wasn't such a PITA when walking dogs. I've opted for a wide-brimmed hat instead.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
I use parasols/umbrellas occasionally. I had this horrible alcoholic neighbor a while back who hated my guts (feeling was mutual, she had very messy boundaries) and she called the police on me once because it was "suspicious" that I was using an umbrella in the middle of the day. Rolling Eyes I know because another neighbor told me about it...apparently the alk told her, and was incensed because the PD declined to come check out the situation. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the parasol club! For years I've used an umbrella in the sun or rain. When I began using one around a decade ago, I definitely got funny stares and the occasional, ever astute observation that it wasn't raining. Now, more women are aware of staying out of the sun and I'm no longer the only one using an umbrella on a sunny day. An ordinary umbrella used to multitask as my parasol, but I splurged on a pretty one shaped just like sunflower. It recalls to mind the flower-shaped umbrellas from the game Animal Crossing.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I like parasols. They add a Victorian touch
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
good for you skincare1988! I wish I could do that but just cant... also to protect from sun rays black umbrellas are better than colored ones as black absorbs most of the rays....

Is this actually true? I thought it had been proven to be a misconception?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
skincare1988 wrote:
. Today, I bought a sun umbrella for an extra layer of sun protection…but instead I get stares and weird looks from others. One woman took out her hand to see whether she felt any rain drops, and then gave me an eyebrow raise.

You know whats wrong?Sun is LIFE.
No sun =no plants=no animal kindgom(no human).

If your cells could really absorb sun energy you would never die.

Sun is peace.And the most peaceful day is Sun-day.

5% products discount

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I read a study that black is best for sun protection as it absorbs better than other colors.

and yes, no one is debating, that sun is essential for life, but not for wrinkles Wink
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Just a thought, but would not white reflect more light? Now you have really got me thinking. 'Course now all I REALLY care about is resembling a cool cocktail . . . .
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
daler wrote:

AFAIK, yes, black is better for UV protection than lets say white but mismis is right too, white ll reflect a lot of sunrays while black ll adsorb lots of em... but I think what matters most is what gets thru the white color, while black blocks it more..
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
catski wrote:
daler wrote:

AFAIK, yes, black is better for UV protection than lets say white but mismis is right too, white ll reflect a lot of sunrays while black ll adsorb lots of em... but I think what matters most is what gets thru the white color, while black blocks it more..

Where did you hear it otherwise?
skincare1988
5% products discount

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Here is article on how black is best, but an umbrella is better than no umbrella at all.

http://www.prevention.com/beauty/beauty/umbrellas-can-block-sun-rays
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Coolibar sell umbrella specially made for this. They are rated SPF50. They also have some protective sun drapes but you really have to want to stay out of the sun to wear one of those. I am sure you would get more looks wearing that then just using an umbrella.
http://www.coolibar.com/category/Sun-Accessories/Umbrellas-Shelters/pc/2264/2297.uts

http://www.coolibar.com/category/Sun-Accessories/Ultimate-Protection/pc/2264/2300.uts

Haven't had a chance to look into these links ^^ but I will. I don't hesitate using a golf umbrella while out in the sun. I'm sure there are more *fashinable* recommendations on that site.

I came across an interesting blip today from a woman who was looking for advice about new summer clothing that is infused with sunscreen. She was concerned about the chemical exposure from the sun-protective clothing and the, subsequent, effects of the sunscreen on her body since she wears some of the clothing all day and some of the clothing all night.

Apparently, the chemicals in the sun-protective clothing are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which as everyone knows, are extensively used in sunscreens and cosmetics and generally accepted as safe.

Part of the effectiveness of the clothing, apparently, is the way the clothig is woven.

Also, one company, according to the article, but not referenced in the article, states that the clothing stays effective for 500+ washings, suggesting that very little of the chemicals come out, even with washing.

The lady seemed reassured.

I haven't, yet, looked into any companies that manufacture this type of clothing that includes sunscreen in it and have no idea if they're stylish clothes or just drapes as Cookie mentions here. Anyone know about this cloth?

A fancy new parasol and ready-made, sun-protective shorts and tank-top made out of this cloth could sure work for me during random summertime activities. (snd one of each in every color)..LOL
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, skincare! 70 - 90 % and it doesn't wear off! Any colour you slice it that is very good.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I almost always carry a folding "UV" umbrella in my bag, for use when I may need to walk under hot sunlight. Not sure what the "UV" labelling means, perhaps just a marketing term, but mine all have some kind of silver coating/lining on the inside.

Apart from sun protection, they keep me cooler on hot days, less shiny/perspiring face and make-up sliding off.
violetdream
5% products discount

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've used this trick for years, I picked it up in Japan, where it's much more common.

I like that it keeps you cool as well!
Tyger
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:10 am      Reply with quote
I bought a white lace/cotton parasol a couple of years ago but unfortunately went for the bigger size - it's a bit too heavy to use on a daily basis - not that we have regular daily sun in the UK Very Happy but we do have heatwaves now and then Cool. This has reminded me that I need to get another lighter, smaller parasol.

In the meantime, I continue wearing hats with a neck-covering brim + sunglasses to protect against (more) eye wrinkles/ARMD. Any comments or looks don't bother me. In fact as many women say they feel 'invisible' to society once they get past a certain age, here's a chance to not be ignored/make a statement whilst protecting our skin at the same time! When I get into old age, I think I might start dressing like the Madwoman of Chaillot Laughing.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
i carry one too. i am only 25. been carrying since 23.. nobody stares...
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |