Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Where or How did you start your skincare journey?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
readyornot
5% products discount

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I am a newbie for sure around here, and just reading the knowledge so many of you have blows me away. So I thought this would be a good place for some general questions:

How did you get started learning about skincare?
Any places, articles, books, etc you would recommend a newbie to start?
Any tips?

The more I read on EDS the more I get overwhelmed sometimes. There is a pretty steep learning curve to some of this!

Thanks for your input!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi readyornot- some of what you should use is based upon your age and skin type. You will get better responses tailored to your needs with that kind of information.

Pretty much everyone should be wearing sunscreen. All the different lotions/potions you buy will not be able to keep up with the damage the sun can do to your skin long term. A lot of EDS members like the physical kind of sunscreen. This kind contains either Zinc or Titanium oxide or both. There are all kinds of brands and price ranges. The trick is to find one you are willing to wear.

The 2 other products that have some of the best clinical studies behind them are Retin A and Vit C. Some people can not tolerate Retin A depending on their skin type. You can always start out with an OTC type of product with rentinol in it. Products like ROC or whatnot.

For Vit C you can either buy some items and make your own. There are lots of recipes in the DIY section. Or look for threads here for some of the ones people like and use.

I would also do a search here for skin barrier repair products. There are a couple of threads going on right now. It seems with so many acids, peels, retinol and acne products on the market some people have overdone what their skin can handle and need to repair their skin barrier. Or some just have more sensitive skin and could use a boost. This may or may not be a problem for you.

That is a starting place. There is tons of information here on EDS. I would just take some time and read through threads that interest you. Welcome to EDS.

5% products discount

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:06 am      Reply with quote
CookieD: Thanks for your reply! I think what I was asking didn't come out as intended. I was looking more for why the members stumbled onto this site, and how, besides reading EDS, did they gain knowledge? Other sites? Outside reading? Recommendations from a derm? Etc.

Meaning, did a term tell someone to start using X or get a Y procedure, and then they found EDS; or did the knowledge come from EDS and it snowballed from there. If so, has there been any information that has helped shape the member's opinions or current/past regimens.

I have been reading and reading, but there is a ton of information here, and most of it over my head, but I appreciate the comments nonetheless.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Joseph2204
5% products discount

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Since I was 15 I hated the way I looked , I started with simple soap , no sunscreens or anything like that .. knowledge was limited and there wasn't much emphasis on "looking good" back then compared to now . However when I turned 17 that's when I started discovering Facial Exercises and honestly it was the best thing I discovered and from there I pretty much builded it up . The next best discovery was Garnier 3 in 1 Face Wash.. gave me the skin I always wanted! but I went even more greedy and I wanted a more defined jawline and higher cheekbones so increased the reps in my facial exercise and started taking supplements.

But come 19!.. that's when things went downhill I started smoking and drinking as I became a "uni student" that's when I first then started using anti aging skincare from Loreal but sadly it wasn't effective for me. Then I read a lot of rave reviews on the internet about Retin A and I started using that and I fell in love with it.

After spending about 9 years learning everything from Essential Oils to Youth Gene Creams to Retin A/Vitamin C serums , I pretty much know too much and am a product junkie .

One thing I haven't done in years... keeping it simple because I admit it doesn't work and I can't wait to see how much my knowledge will increase in 10 years time and how technological skincare will be! The depressing this is... I spent so much time on this I forgot about other things in life Sad... Oh and btw the most stubborn things to remove in skincare is strechmarks!! I tried TCA Peels , Glycolic Peels and even the toughest Retin A creams . One thng I learnt from this is you can always minimize problems in the skin but eliminating them with permanent results is a completely different story!!
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I just turned 17, but I got mild acne at the age of 11 and already have really bad eczema. I was always in and out of the dermatologist's offices...they never really helped the problem, just threw an expensive acne gel or medication my way. The second to last time I went to the derm, they perscribed me another medication...

well..on the first week of starting my new highschool I got horrible horrible deep chemical burned all over my face. my whole face was dark purple and flaky and it stung for months after. The places that got the worst of it was under my eyes,around my mouth, under my nose and all over my eyebrowns. Not to mention it didn't really help the acne! try and picture that! I had to start cutting school days because of the staring and laughing.

I had had it with going to a dermatologist.I began my own research-everyday for hours and months,experimenting,writing,serching,reading and buying!($$$$$$$)

12-14 I still used a lot of cheap drugstore brands and my diet was hell...age 15 I began to turn things around with a healthy diet, and essential oils.

I did try and take birth control for the acne but it just really messed me up for 6 months and then when I noticed clumps of hair falling out I stopped it...and began more and more research.

I remember I was home one summer googling more skincare things when I ran across this website..I didn't really go through it at first but it looked interesting enough to save under my favorites..out of summer boredom I kept coming back to it. And boy,I'm quiet happy I did! haha. And like you aswell I felt sort of overwlmed by all the information! But keep on reading you'll get the hang of things here Wink.

Now since august 19th I'm currently going to a 600 hour aesthetics school until june 10th..so far its going great Smile. And that's where my skin care journey has taken me...I loved learning about it so much I have decided its a career I want to pursue! haha.

my advice:

remember less is more

dont forget sunscreen

have a good diet

and give oils a try if you havent already.

My favorites:

eponice LX re-texturing cream

aczone gel(acne med, I only used it for a few months and once my acne calmed down I stopped using and its been very very mild ever since.)

emu oil and pomegranate oil (I use emu oil and sunscreen everyday, I just like the feel of the pomegranate really)

clarisonic mia (idk how I lived without this thing haha)

hope it helped Smile
sistersue

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to this sight but would encourage the everyone to spend time learning to take good care of their skin. I'm 52 and never guessed to be my age. I think a lot of it is good skin care. I can only say I wish I had stopped tanning long before I did. But that was popular in my younger year. Now I preach beg and bribe my kids and anyone else who will listen to please use a good sunscreen everyday. It's the most important thing you can do for your skin and important to your general health. You won't be sorry. I've spent a lot of money undoing what it did from the sun, and some you just can't undo. So please fake it! It's just as pretty. Smile
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Hmm,

For a New Be, perhaps start with a trip to the library. Dr. Denese has a nice skin care book, and Dr. Perricone has a few, starting with the Wrinkle Cure (which is easy to read).

Start with finding a nice sunscreen which doesn't cause break-outs, and work on eating in a manner which supports good skin, and go from there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I have been a regular on Makeup Alley for over ten years. This forum was suggested on MUA (skin care section).

I also went to esthetics school and just enjoy reading about skin care. Hair care is a close second.

My advise is to find a sunscreen that you can wear daily. That really is the hardest thing of skin care.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I was given the best advice when I was 13 years old. I was on holiday in Jamaica. I was stung by a jelly and was just sitting around and a elderly Jamaican woman started speaking with me. She told be to stay out of the sun because white women who stay in the sun age in dog years!!! She wasn't kidding!!! Surprised
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I've really delved into skincare, via this site, almost 1.5 years ago. I had bad acne, stretch marks. I went through a period of buying tons of random skincare + DIY ingredients, overhauled my skincare several times. I've ordered skincare/makeup monthly boxes, went through GOW/NCN/Vitacost/SEA/SkinActives order binges, got a Clarisonic, tons of other sites for peels. I definitely spent over a grand (probably close to 1.5k) over the course of 8 months after finding this site. I've since settled down a little, and my routine for the summer was very simple (cleanser + sunscreen).

My acne went away (I get the occasional cyst or white head but nothing as bad as before). I think it was a combination of zinc + omega-3 supplements, glycolic acid peels + zinc sunscreen.

At the moment, I'm gearing up to do a 6-7 month stretch mark reducing regimen involving skin care + dermaneedling/rolling. I'm also earning decent money now, and plan to get into DIY a bit more seriously in the coming months (going to start with a LotionCrafter C+E serum for my stretch marks, and then something more focused on antioxidants and barrier repair).
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
I remembered that I began to take care of my skin at the age of 15.At the begenning,I always buy the products which have adervise in TV.And when I can find more information by the internet,I tried a lot of product and knew what I like mostly.
beccachan
5% products discount

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Since the first wrinkle appeared near my eyes! I was 18. I bought the products which have adervise in TV or magazines.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |