Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
DIY vitamin c serum + disodium EDTA
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Sophie 1421

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am making Kassy's DIY vitamin c serum. I would like to add disodium EDTA as a chelator. Is it okay to add it to the distilled water and l-ascorbic acid or will it hurt that mixture? Thanks for any suggestions.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
if u r using only distilled water and L-ascorbic acid, there is no need for disodium EDTA, IMO. There wont be anything to chelate.
Sophie 1421

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Daler, I do use distilled water so it sounds like a plan!
Sophie 1421

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 am      Reply with quote
I am new to the DIY process so thank you Daler for your input on the disodium EDT. Even though I do use distilled water I thought I had read that the disodium EDTA helps with absorption of the vit e and c or how they work together. Do you or anyone else know anything about this or did I dream this? Thanks!!!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Sophie 1421 wrote:
I am new to the DIY process so thank you Daler for your input on the disodium EDT. Even though I do use distilled water I thought I had read that the disodium EDTA helps with absorption of the vit e and c or how they work together. Do you or anyone else know anything about this or did I dream this? Thanks!!!

no problem Sophie 1421, u r v welcome!

AFAIK, edta is used only to chelate metals/minerals so they dont oxidize ascorbic acid.

btw, are u using any preservatives? u would be fine without it if u plan to make a new batch every week or so n keep ur mix in the refrigerator.
Sophie 1421

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Daler!
I mix new about every week and a half as I use it also on my hands, neck, etc. I am hoping the bugs won't get in during that amount of time!!!
What do you think? Do you use a preservative?
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
hey, I no longer use vita C serum, I didn't think it was doing much other than giving me irritation..i may try it again sometimes... I kept mine in the fridge, no preservatives, n made every 2 weeks or so... however I ll t add preservatives ( even if I made every 10 days to 2 weeks or so) if it had more ingredients like proteins eg collagen etc which bacteria love to feed on!
Sophie 1421

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice!
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I put EDTA & BHT in absolutely everything. But I'm just overly paranoid. I do it just in case anything I layer with it could affect the C before it's absorbed. Or in case there are any metal complexes in the plant extracts I use. I'm probably just being overly paranoid, yeah, but you never know. That's the great thing about DIY; you can be as cautious or as reckless as you so choose.
Sophie 1421

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Chlorophyll,
Since it is water soluble, do you mix the disodium EDTA in with the ascorbic acid and distilled water? Would that hurt the l-ascorbic acid? Thanks for any knowledge or opinions you have!!
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I always mixed it with my glycerin/glycol/other solvents mixture before I added it to the water, but I don't think it matters. It's a pretty easy dissolver and you can get away with a teeny-tiny fraction of a percentage. Smile

Again, it's probably not even necessary. It's just a peace of mind thing.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |