Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
How long do you keep your Skinceuticals, CSS CE Ferulic for?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
So I have done a search on this forum and the internet generally for an answer to this question. However, there appears to be no consensus? Confused

I have seen conflicting times ranging from 1 month to 6 months. The 6 months to me seemed unrealistic given the nature of the product and the 1 month not cost efficient.

2-3 Months to me seems to make the most sense, although even at this level, surely stability and oxidation of the Vit C would become and issue and you have to question how useful is the Vitamin C after a certain point?

Finally but most importatly is there a way to extend the life of the serum by e.g.:
1. Decanting into an airless pump? In which case does the pump have to be glass?
(Have seen conflicting information on this)
2. Decanting a small amount from the fridge each week into one of the smaller sample bottles 1-2x a week and then keeping that smaller amount in the bathroom. I tend to remember to use things if they are near me.
3. Storing the serum in the fridge?

TIA Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Since we dont know when the commercial serums were even made, its impossible to guess their shelf life. I was sent SkinCeuticals CE F Serum that was a brick red color and told by that company that "Its safe to use until it turns a blood red color." Na-ah. thats when I started making Kassy's C serum and the rest is history. I use it up within 3 months of making it and store it in a dark cool place in its airless pump bottle.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:10 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Since we dont know when the commercial serums were even made, its impossible to guess their shelf life. I was sent SkinCeuticals CE F Serum that was a brick red color and told by that company that "Its safe to use until it turns a blood red color." Na-ah. thats when I started making Kassy's C serum and the rest is history. I use it up within 3 months of making it and store it in a dark cool place in its airless pump bottle.

Hi Fawnie, is your airless pump glass or plastic? Heard conflicting info on storing it in plastic?

Thanks
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Plastic as are most airless pump bottles. I have not had anything happen to the serums/lotions/creams inside. What is the issue?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Plastic as are most airless pump bottles. I have not had anything happen to the serums/lotions/creams inside. What is the issue?

Apparently stability of the product.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have a link please to any scientific info about that ShiningStar?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Do you have a link please to any scientific info about that ShiningStar?

No sorry just seen a few references to it and hence why most C serums are sold in amber glass dropper bottles.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
The trouble with the dropper bottles is that they let air in every time the bottle is opened. Not sure what the advantage is there. ??

The amber I can see, but why not an opaque bottle or a label covering most of the bottle.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:56 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
The trouble with the dropper bottles is that they let air in every time the bottle is opened. Not sure what the advantage is there. ??

The amber I can see, but why not an opaque bottle or a label covering most of the bottle.

Yep I totally agree. I am still puzzled as to why even the big hitters like skinceuticals have not included airless pumps. I doubt it would be that expensive especially when you are already spending $150.

Anyway I have now managed to track down some glass amber airless pump bottles on eBay for about £1 ($1.50) plus shipping which is very reasonable.

Coincidentally my CSS serum also arrived today. I also still have two of their sample to get through (20% and phloretin) so as soon as these are done I will transfer the new full sized CSS C+E ferulic serum into one of the new airless pumps. Hopefully the new pump bottles will arrive at about the same time my samples will be finished.

I have also decided to get one of those cheapie retro mini fridges for the bathroom to store my goodies, serums and moisturisers in. Found quite a few on sale for about £30/40 ($50).

I will be doing my own experiment to gauge oxidation and hopefully remember to update this thread for any of those interested.....
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote
You're a great sleuth! Care to share the link to the glass airless bottles? Nice find!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:47 am      Reply with quote
No worries dahling Laughing

The trick is to search for 'amber homeopathy bottles' or 'amber homeopathy pump' and they all come up on ebay. That would seem to make sense given that amber bottles are used by homeopathy practitioners Very Happy

Anyway here is a link for the UK/ EU ladies. I am sure similar sundries exist across the pond.

BTW: I already bought 16 so you ladies can get going now Laughing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271289028579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131012104063?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Ooo gold plated ones too!

The trick is to find ones that have the stainless steel ball in the pump mechanism that prevents backflow of air. Else you're just pumping in air to displace the fluid. There should be a diaphragm in the bottle that rises as the fluid is pumped out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Ooo gold plated ones too!

The trick is to find ones that have the stainless steel ball in the pump mechanism that prevents backflow of air. Else you're just pumping in air to displace the fluid. There should be a diaphragm in the bottle that rises as the fluid is pumped out.

Will look out for that when they arrive. Wink
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
If the bottle has a long tube extending to the bottom of the bottle without a diaphragm at the bottom of the bottle, its not an airless system, just a "pump" and will introduce air into the bottle.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
If the bottle has a long tube extending to the bottom of the bottle without a diaphragm at the bottom of the bottle, its not an airless system, just a "pump" and will introduce air into the bottle.

Fawnie do you have any picture examples to illustrate the point?

Cheers
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Sure.
This is an airless pump bottle. It has a diaphragm at the bottom and the mechanism with the stainless steel ball in the pump:

This is a pump bottle. It has a long tube extending to the bottom of the bottle, no diaphragm and no ball mechanism in the pump to keep air from backflowing:

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks fawnie.

Looks like I will be using the other bottles for my oil collection. Laughing

The hunt continues. Looks like I will just get some plastic airless pumps and spray them brown/ black.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
You can wrap them with tin foil or blackout material. Or labels. Or just keep them in the dark cool closet.

If you ever do find a glass airless pump bottle PLMK! Ive never seen them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I usually finish mine in 3 month, I would use more if I think I couldn't use it up in time.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:43 am      Reply with quote
ShiningStar77 wrote:
fawnie wrote:

Yep I totally agree. I am still puzzled as to why even the big hitters like skinceuticals have not included airless pumps. I doubt it would be that expensive especially when you are already spending $150.

Anyway I have now managed to track down some glass amber airless pump bottles on eBay for about £1 ($1.50) plus shipping which is very reasonable.

Coincidentally my CSS serum also arrived today. I also still have two of their sample to get through (20% and phloretin) so as soon as these are done I will transfer the new full sized CSS C+E ferulic serum into one of the new airless pumps. Hopefully the new pump bottles will arrive at about the same time my samples will be finished.

I have also decided to get one of those cheapie retro mini fridges for the bathroom to store my goodies, serums and moisturisers in. Found quite a few on sale for about £30/40 ($50).

I will be doing my own experiment to gauge oxidation and hopefully remember to update this thread for any of those interested.....

Skinceuticals is owned by L'oreal- so they do not have a good reason to cheap out on the packaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkinCeuticals
ShiningStar77
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

Skinceuticals is owned by L'oreal- so they do not have a good reason to cheap out on the packaging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkinCeuticals[/quote]

True! Let's just hope they are reading EDS forums Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |