Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF Gel Dupe
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Damsel in Distress222

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone
I was hoping someone can assist me with trying to create a replacement of SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF Gel but without all the chemically stuff I don’t need?

I would love to be rid of the silicone but still maintain that gel consistency that doesn’t have that drying effect if at all possible. My skin is also quite sensitive and I don’t react well to oils generally. Ive read also that denaturated alcohol can cause free radical damage and blocks the benefits of the phloretin-not sure how true this is but thats what got me thinking to try and make my own of this. Not to mention that this product is crazy expensive!!!

Any help with recipes/comments would be appreciated. I have no idea how to put this together and I know the ph is an issue with DIY Vit C.

Ive got the ingredients
Aqua / Water / Eau, Dipropylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Undecane, Bis-Hydroxyethoxypropyl Dimethicone, Alcohol Denat., Ascorbic Acid, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Tridecane, Phloretin, Lauryl Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Polyglycerin-3 Crosspolymer, Ferulic Acid, Ruscus Aculeatus Extract / Ruscus Aculeatus Root Extract, Caffeine, Disodium Edta, Sodium Hydroxide

Thanks in advance for the help
jamesrobert
5% products discount

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Go for organic skin care products. They work really well.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I was checking out the ingredients in this product. Almost all the ingredients are petroleum by products, thickeners, and 'slip', not to mention a whopping amount of alcohol. As for the rest:

Capric triglyceride ( coconut oil, blocks pores)
The phloretin is an antioxidant
Ferulic vitamin c (10% in this product)
Ruscus anti irritant ( which you need after putting the rest of this stuff on your poor face)
Caffeine antioxidant

You will easily find recipes on this forum for antioxidant and vit c serums, hyalauronic acid helps create the gel consistency you're after.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Just like most of skinceuticals' formulas, there are a ton of solvent/penetration enhancers in here. The only natural-y penetration enhancers are water, glycerin and ethanol, and ethanol is too drying to use in huge amounts.

You can get dipropylene glycol from most supply websites that have a lot of fragrance oils for sale, because it is mostly used by home DIYers as a fragrance dispersant. It also has the lowest irritancy potential of the glycols. (That info is from a long time ago, though. There might be some new wave glycols I've never heard of yet.) According to this abstract, it is good for stabilizing ferulic acid too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22152493

So use it! Lol. Butylene glycol is used in a lot of very expensive brands as the primary solvent. I guess it must be really good at driving those actives down into the skin.

You can ignore all the dimethicone and add whatever oil or occlusive you want.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
So much easier (and nicer) to just whip up your own... For instance;

Vitamin C,E,FA & Phloretin (Oct 23, 2013)

15% L-Ascorbic Acid
1% Vitamin E
.5% Ferulic Acid
2% Phloretin
1% Ethyl Alcohol (to solubize FA & Phloretin)
3% Oils
5% of 1% Hyaluronic Acid Serum
3% E-Wax
1% Polysorbate 80%
.5% Preservative
68% Distilled Water

This will work out to a lovely lotiony type serum. (white/opaque). Check pH while in the mixing process, and add a tiny bit of citric acid to get the pH to 3 or below if needed.

Make 4oz... You'll want to let your face, neck, chest, hands and arms drink it in. No need to refrigerate. It will remain perfect until it's gone.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Damsel in Distress222

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the help!!! Very Happy

Thanks Kassy for the recipe, just had a question though, when you say preservative-do you mean another besides the citric acid or can I just use that?

TIA
MyrnaLoy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, is there any chance you'll elaborate on this recipe, perhaps even dumb it down a little? I assume I should dissolve the phloretin and FE in the alcohol, and the vit C in the water, and melt the wax into the oils. Where does the HA solution go? Just added in when everything is mixed together? Help, pretty please?

5% products discount

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

You can find Kassy's full instructions on this thread - you might find it useful to go through the other DIY C's in the sticky too.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=392693#392693

HTH
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Damsel in Distress222 wrote:
Thanks guys for the help!!! Very Happy

Thanks Kassy for the recipe, just had a question though, when you say preservative-do you mean another besides the citric acid or can I just use that?

TIA

You need a broad spectrum preservative, in anything that is water based.. Optiphen and Germaben 2 are good ones. Citric Acid is used to adjust the pH (if necessary). It can help with 'stability', but is not a true preservative. Citric Acid and Vitamin E are antioxidants..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
MyrnaLoy wrote:
Kassy, is there any chance you'll elaborate on this recipe, perhaps even dumb it down a little? I assume I should dissolve the phloretin and FE in the alcohol, and the vit C in the water, and melt the wax into the oils. Where does the HA solution go? Just added in when everything is mixed together? Help, pretty please?

Laughing Sure thing!

15% L-Ascorbic Acid
1% Vitamin E
.5% Ferulic Acid
2% Phloretin
3% Oils
3% E-Wax
1% Polysorbate 80%
.5% Preservative
68% Distilled Water

You can solubize FA & Ferulic Acid in either alcohol or propylene glycol. Use whichever you prefer, at 1%

The instructions I included in this "similar" recipe, should be helpful to you;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6512834#6512834

***Note; you can add the actives when the temp is at 100F or below (you don't have to wait for 80F)***

stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Any suggestions for a one-stop shopping website for all of the ingredients? Thanks.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
The only supplier I know of that has phloretin for sale is skinactives.
MyrnaLoy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
MyrnaLoy wrote:

Laughing Sure thing!

15% L-Ascorbic Acid
1% Vitamin E
.5% Ferulic Acid
2% Phloretin
3% Oils
3% E-Wax
1% Polysorbate 80%
.5% Preservative
68% Distilled Water

You can solubize FA & Ferulic Acid in either alcohol or propylene glycol. Use whichever you prefer, at 1%

The instructions I included in this "similar" recipe, should be helpful to you;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6512834#6512834

***Note; you can add the actives when the temp is at 100F or below (you don't have to wait for 80F)***

Thank you, Kassy. I use one or another of your C serums pretty much head to toe to great effect, but there's always that little voice in my head prodding me to try something different...

5% products discount

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I am new to this website and have been reading the posts for almost a month, wow, a ton of info!! I have made the c serums from Kassy and loooove them! I can't get over how knowledgeable on this stuff you are! Smile Smile I've had to send some down the drain but think I have the hang of it now. I started making them for my sister too and she loves hers! I was curious if Kassy or any of you smart girls I see posting here had a recipe for these wonderful ingredients I have been reading about:

L-Ascorbic Acid & MAP (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate)
Hyaluronic Acid
Glutathione
Sea Kelp Bioferment
Oat Beta Glucan
Tocopherols & Tocotrienols (different forms of vitamin e?)
Ferulic Acid,
Polysorbate 80 and Optiphen.

I saw these on a website and would loooove to make my own, one for me and one for my sis! I have so many questions but will start there for now. There are so many wonderful ingredients out there it is unbelievable and I can't believe I've paid out so much money for expensive crap! can I say that?! I'm not good with percentages yet so teaspoon type measurements would be awesome, if possible!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2014 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
So much easier (and nicer) to just whip up your own... For instance;

15% L-Ascorbic Acid
1% Vitamin E
.5% Ferulic Acid
2% Phloretin
3% Oils
3% E-Wax
1% Polysorbate 80%
.5% Preservative
68% Distilled Water

This will work out to a lovely lotiony type serum. (white/opaque). Check pH while in the mixing process, and add a tiny bit of citric acid to get the pH to 3 or below if needed.

Make 4oz... You'll want to let your face, neck, chest, hands and arms drink it in. No need to refrigerate. It will remain perfect until it's gone.

BUMP.

Based on the very good feedback I have received on this recipe, I figured it was worth a bump for you DIY'ers who might have missed it the 1st time around.

It's truly a sin to pay retail, for ANY vitamin C product.

cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2014 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Kassy, for the bump! What do you usually use for the Hyaluronic Acid Serum? Can the recipe be used effectively without the Hyaluronic Acid Serum? Just curious.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 24, 2014 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Thanks, Kassy, for the bump! What do you usually use for the Hyaluronic Acid Serum? Can the recipe be used effectively without the Hyaluronic Acid Serum? Just curious.

You could substitute SKB or aloe gel in a pinch, but the 1% HA Serum does make it lovelier..

Here's the link to the 1% HA Serum DIY.. The recipe makes 12oz, and is a wonderful staple to have on hand. I keep mine in the fridge, and decant as needed. Wonderful stuff!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6474113#6474113

I get my HA powder at Pure Bulk, and highly recommend it. Be sure to follow the directions, especially about using VERY cold water. You'll love it!

rilee508
5% products discount

Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
This recipe is definitely on my list to try now!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 31, 2014 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
cm5597 wrote:

You could substitute SKB or aloe gel in a pinch, but the 1% HA Serum does make it lovelier..

Here's the link to the 1% HA Serum DIY.. The recipe makes 12oz, and is a wonderful staple to have on hand. I keep mine in the fridge, and decant as needed. Wonderful stuff!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6474113#6474113

I get my HA powder at Pure Bulk, and highly recommend it. Be sure to follow the directions, especially about using VERY cold water. You'll love it!

Thank you so much, Kassy! This is excellent information. You are the best Smile

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |