Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Using retin-a once a week for collagen boost
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kangarooaddict

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:18 am      Reply with quote
I'm in my early twenties, and don't feel ready to do a major retin-a regimen along with all the flaking, irritation, and thinned stratum corneum that goes with it (I know that your skin adjusts--but you're still seriously exfoliating your skin throughout your retin-a use).

However, given all its collagen and elastin promoting benefits, I was wondering if using retin-a once a week would still be beneficial. I think once a week is less often enough to prevent the major exfoliation, and I wonder if it's enough to do adequate stimulation of collagen producing receptors. I.e. collagen promotion without the exfoliation.

What do you guys think?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 am      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that doing a Retin A mask (apply, leave on for a while, wash off) will give 80% of the results with way less irritation. I am going to start doing this myself.

http://www.more.com/beauty/skin/want-skin-skin-doctor?page=2

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:31 am      Reply with quote
kangarooaddict – if you are in your early 20’s then I wouldn’t really be worried about using Retin A until you are a little older. Its highly unlikely that you would need to be worried about collagen and elastin either, but prevent at your age should be the focus, and so sunscreen is a must and then doing things like Vit C to keep what you got in good standards.

Using retin A 1x a week will give some benefits but they will be minimum but I doubt it will do anything major re collagen and elastin wise.
kangarooaddict wrote:
I'm in my early twenties, and don't feel ready to do a major retin-a regimen along with all the flaking, irritation, and thinned stratum corneum that goes with it (I know that your skin adjusts--but you're still seriously exfoliating your skin throughout your retin-a use).

However, given all its collagen and elastin promoting benefits, I was wondering if using retin-a once a week would still be beneficial. I think once a week is less often enough to prevent the major exfoliation, and I wonder if it's enough to do adequate stimulation of collagen producing receptors. I.e. collagen promotion without the exfoliation.

What do you guys think?
kangarooaddict

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies! I have been using vitamin C and sunscreen daily. I just thought it might also be preventative to build collagen even when you're young.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I read somewhere that doing a Retin A mask (apply, leave on for a while, wash off) will give 80% of the results with way less irritation. I am going to start doing this myself.

http://www.more.com/beauty/skin/want-skin-skin-doctor?page=2

Great article Bethany! Thank you.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Prevention is good, but using Retin A at such a young age I'm not so convinced - unless you are working with a professional derm trained in these things because it is a prescription medicine for a reason.

The other thing I starting to feel there is a lot of benefit to is eating a healthy diet. I like food of all types so don't always eat healthily but I'm not overweight but if I could give myself advice when I was your age would be to try to eat as healthily as possible.
kangarooaddict wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I have been using vitamin C and sunscreen daily. I just thought it might also be preventative to build collagen even when you're young.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |