Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do some oils cause face and eye puffiness?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Do some oils cause face and eye puffiness? And why?

Cooking oils like coconut, olive and such?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think any product that gets absorbed by your under eye area can cause puffiness. Check out this discussion:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=43797
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Anything that seems heavy or migrates is a problem with me.

If in doubt, I will try a little under the eyes only at first.

I find that if I use my eye treatment products at night (currently Avene Eulage cream and then gel on top of lines) THEN a little Aquaphor as a barrier this works well. The Aquaphor (or something similar) seals in the product and helps keep the under eye area moist and plump.

Oils works well in place of Aquaphor also. I like Shea Butter but it does not seem to work well for the under eye area. (Great for body.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
For me even heavy creams cause puffiness.
cali_jess

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:28 am      Reply with quote
This is so interesting to me because ever since I started using beauty products my eyes are always red and puffy in the morning. I used to do hardly anything and they were fine, I think, I just didn't even notice that much. This is all so hard to figure out, I'm very overwhelmed. I might try the Vaseline.

Also, Nonie, you mentioned in the other thread you linked to, you use a sunscreen with no water in it, can I ask what? Is it something normal you get from the drug store or something special? Thanks!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I am going to go back to Vaseline for a while and see what I see. Thanks Nonie. As you have pointed out, Eva Frasier has years of proof to illustrate how well it works.

I've enjoyed Karin Herzog's eye cream (years now) but I'm out and other products I've had laying around are pretty much worthless. I wanted to use them up so I'll put them on my cuticles.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
cali_jess wrote:
Also, Nonie, you mentioned in the other thread you linked to, you use a sunscreen with no water in it, can I ask what? Is it something normal you get from the drug store or something special? Thanks!

Hi cali_jess:

I used to look for water resistant sunscreens and if the ingredients didn't list water, I assumed there was no water. Embarassed So Arbonne Damage Control, Xterra 44 used to be regulars. Now that I know inactive ingredients usually not listed can include water, I am more careful and look for a full ingredient list. Badger Sport Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 35 is my current love.

A lot of the stick sunscreens you can find OTC usually don't have water. I have picked up Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ to keep in my purse because on a day I was sure I had a bottle of suncreen in my car so was planning on applying it in the car, I found I didn't and had to stop at CVS on my way to grab whatever I could find without water.

BTW, I do not use sunscreen around my eyes. I used to use it over the Vaseline because I knew it would prevent the sunscreen from being absorbed but Eva advised me to wear sunglasses instead. I do wear Transitions lenses and wear hats and spend hardly any time in direct sun so I am not too worried. Interestingly, petrolatum-containing products are supposed to be good at protecting the skin from sun damage: http://ctdermpc.com/skin-answers/two-most-common-types-of-skin-cancer.html
cali_jess

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nonie, that is very helpful. I guess I need to experiment for myself and see what works. It's frustrating in the meantime. I can't figure it all out and don't really want to either, ha. I wish I could go back to doing nothing like I used to, but now I know what the sun does I'm dedicated to using spf. For now I'm going to skip using any moisturizer in the night. I agree it's hard to tell by the ingredient list sometimes. I hate to continue to buy more and more stuff if what I have isn't necessarily irritating me, I think it's the combination of so many new things I am trying. So I think I'll just cut back a bit until everything settles before experimenting more.

I really want to try the oil cleansing method, but I think I should probably wait a bit until I establish a routine of what I do (and don't do) for some amount of time, really cut back to the basics. Problem is I never used to exfoliate, but I had started using a BHA, and after stopping awhile I'm wondering if dead skin is accumulating, it feels like it, and I do wonder if using it made my skin exfoliate less on it's own. :( Also I had been doing some anti-oxidents and those together with the BHA really improved the texture of skin on the top of my nose and large pores on the sides of it as well. So I hate to give it up entirely, but hate the red puffy eyes...

As I said I'm a bit frustrated and confused, I have no idea what is causing what, very frustrating temporarily, but I'll figure it out eventually I guess. I'm glad to have this forum to read as it makes me really think of things I wouldn't otherwise, but also the options are overwhelming!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
cali_jess yes it is all so confusing I agree. And I know what you mean about exfoliants making you love your skin. In my twenties, I discovered Estee Lauder Fruition Extra (I think it has been discontinued) and loved how my skin glowed. I stopped using it only coz I am cheap plus I discovered Erno Laszlo. I mean I seemed to be doing all these "cool" things to my skin. Now I have cut my regimen way back that I don't even buy products for exfoliating. I just use my wash cloth. What made me cut way back is it seemed as if I was doing so much and yet my relatives doing so little (eg my mom) seemed to have good skin. I also started asking anyone (even strangers) with good skin what it is they used. And it seemed the simpler the regimen, the better the skin....

Anyway, you are in good hands here. Folks here seem to know so much about the bare necessities so if you started a thread or did a search for threads on skincare regimens, you may get some direction. I get encouraged because some of my idols on here are older than me and have such simple regimens yet look so good, so I feel less afraid I might be missing something.

Best wishes....
cali_jess

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I have learned so much by just reading EDS! I think I like the idea of eventually making my own natural oil based skin care but not until I figure this all out. First I think cutting way back and watching my eyes for awhile is a good idea.

Ok, so a question I thought for you getting back to the original topic. When you do the OCM do you avoid the eye area too? Or will you get closer to clean all the skin around the eye with the oils?

Funny thing I remembered I even started looking into skin care is because I noticed white bumps around my eyes and googled that its milia and its from dead skin clogging the pores since the skin doesnt exfoliate as well on its own as we age and that is why I started exfoliating. Of course silly to avoid the eyes and still do it! Ironic the milia is still there but my eyes are worse and irritated. I have decided to just go to a dermatologist for the milia when I can get my skin to settle down.

But good did come from it all as I use spf religiously now and drink lots of water and in general now want to do the right thing to take care of my skin if I can figure out what that is, ha.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't think about my eyes when I OCM. Now I feel like you just asked me a trick question! Laughing

TBH I don't think I apply the oil to my eyes... Gosh, I can't believe I had to think about this and do the motions to remember. *shameface*

I do plain water washes too so I guess my eyes get plain water washes more or less, since I do not apply oil to them, even on days I OCM.
cali_jess

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Haha, sorry to make you think about it too much as I have been doing! Thanks again for being so helpful. Very Happy
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
cali_jess wrote:
Haha, sorry to make you think about it too much as I have been doing! Thanks again for being so helpful. Very Happy

Image No problem.

Incidentally, I just did an OCM now and it dawned on me that there is one time when I may use oil around my eyes: when I wear eye makeup, which is rare coz I find it a real pain to remove.

If I wear makeup, before I OCM, I will apply oil all over and wipe it off with a tissue or paper towel. For my eyes, I use Castor oil to remove the makeup. So in that case, I would end up doing an OCM all over my face including my eyes.

Who knew I was so absentminded when cleaning my face?! Laughing
cali_jess

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
It makes sense if OCM is used to cleanse the pores, and under the eyes there are not as many pores, that you wouldn't really focus on that area when oil cleansing, right?

Another question, I think you mentioned you don't oil cleanse every day, so on days you don't does that mean you do not really remove your sunscreen? Or just rinse off with water? Do you feel like it gets fully removed and if not there are no adverse effects? Do you do anything else to moisturize on those days?

Right now I am totally bare skinned and feeling a little dry and wanting to put on something but trying to hold myself back because I want at least one day without nothing, even the gentlest thing, to see how my eyes are tomorrow morning. Then I can start playing with adding things, like maybe Vaseline or just my anti-oxidant, to see if there is any difference. My irritated eyes might just be lack of sleep! Funny because I used to go without moisturizer all the time, but the skin does adjust. I'm hoping my natural oils kick back in soon. Trying to tell myself my eyes will not crack with wrinkles from one night of dryness!

Anyway, just trying to figure out if I go the OCM and give up other cleansers altogether how it works big picture so curious of your routine on days you don't Oil Cleanse, at the end of the day, after showering, etc. I suppose when you get used to it you can go by feel more, but when you start it's hard to know.

Sorry if I'm drifting too much!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 am      Reply with quote
cali_jess wrote:
[...]

Another question, I think you mentioned you don't oil cleanse every day, so on days you don't does that mean you do not really remove your sunscreen? Or just rinse off with water? Do you feel like it gets fully removed and if not there are no adverse effects? Do you do anything else to moisturize on those days?[...]

On days I don't oil cleanse I simply let warm water spray my face from the shower head when I take a shower while I use a white face cloth to massage my face to remove all traces of sunscreen. (BTW, out of habit, I tense my face muscles while I do this so I am not dragging my skin all over the place--a lesson I learned from the face exercise program I do that advises to never slide over skin without first flexing the muscles Smile )

My face usually feels clean without having any tightness after ^^that plain water wash. I usually use the washcloth folded in half turning it over and folding it over to use a clean section as needed and by the time I get to the fourth clean quarter, there is no dirt showing on the cloth. I have been doing this since 2006 at least (maybe 2005) and so far no problem.

The first time I did this, it was after I saw this 30-something year-old lady with skin like a baby's. I asked her what her skincare regimen was and she said she uses nothing. Not soap, nor cleansers and no moisturizer, nor sunscreen. She said she has oily skin, which I didn't have. Her skin was so beautiful that my crazy butt with combination dry skin just had to try this that very night. Well, the wash went pretty well. I was not going anywhere the next day so on that first day I stayed home with a completely bare face. My face felt kinda tight but I assumed my own natural moisturizing system had not caught on that I had quit meddling. Anyway, I did another plain water wash that night and next day wore sunscreen only when I left home. My face felt and looked great. (I even once took a pic of my bare face on another stay-at-home day as I could not believe that my bare face could look so good bare and not have dry, ashy patches.) That second day of plain water washing, I happened to go by The Body Shop and tested my skin with those strips they have because I could not believe how normal it felt. The strips showed my skin as oily. Of course sunscreen may have been the reason my skin seemed oily--but you would think everyone who walks into the store usually has something on their skin, right? Anyway in the past, my skin seemed to suck up anything I applied to it as if parched. Now that I was not slathering on stuff, it was as if my skin remembered how to produce sebum and was acting normal.

I don't do anything special after plain water washes. Just dry my face with a paper towel and leave it bare for the night, except for Vaseline under the eyes. In the morning, I splash my face with with lukewarm water, paper towel dry it and apply sunscreen and maybe some Vaseline under eyes although the Vaseline thing is not always a daytime ritual. That's it.

Part of why I am thankful to have the option of plain water washes is I really believe too much of anything is bad, so "everything in moderation" is more my cup of tea. While I love OCM, I just started to worry about becoming so dependent on it that my skin would fall apart if I didn't OCM and being so dependent on anything scares me. Plus I think if you have too much oil on the skin surface, then less sebum is produced so I sorta feel better letting my skin replenish oils every now and then w/o me meddling. Even with the Vaseline under eye thing, I was so relieved when Eva said that even using nothing was OK so occasionally I will use nothing. I do use it on days I do face exercises but may skip it on days I don't and just go to bed with a completely bare face.

Change is scary, so I know how you feel. I think people should not be too quick to adopt new things unless what they are doing isn't working, so the way you are taking it slow and not doing too many new things at once is good because you can better assess what is working and what isn't. Anyway to help you relax a little about the bare face at night, see what Dr Hauschka says about not using night creams at night--it is the first point of the seven:
http://www.drhauschka.com/find-products-for-your-skin/7-facts.aspx
cali_jess

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Nonie, thank YOU for taking the time to write that all up, what works for you and a bit of how you got there. So much for me to think about. But its good. I gave in and moisturized my face last night but it feels so good. Ridiculous really that it felt like it was dry and cracking and I didnt want to moisturize it so I could see my eyes in the morning like some control variable in a science experiment to test all these products. I should listen to my face first and go from there. My husband laughs because I do attack everything like a math problem to solve and file away. I want to figure it out, look beautiful, and not think of it again. :lol I haven't looked in the mirror yet but it feels better like the natural oils are back a bit whew. I agree on not depending too much on anything, I think what if I am traveling and stuck in an airport overnight, or some such circumstance I cant do an exact night routine or morning routine, I dont want my face to explode, ha. So I need to remember sometimes less is more and take it slow and I'll get there.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |