Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The best thing(s) I ever did for my skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alienoreo
5% products discount

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
I know we have had similar threads in the past, but I thought we might start fresh instead of resurrecting a giant zombie.

A friend of mine is really struggling with adult acne, and she recently asked me what was the best thing I've ever done for my skin. That turned out to be kind of hard to answer, because it wasn't just one thing, it was a combination.

Do you have a combination of the best things you ever did for your skin?

Mine are:

1. Sleeping on a fresh surface every night. I know this sounds goofy but I was getting the feeling that I was reinfect in my face with acne "bugs" every night. So I started putting a fresh hand towel over my pillow every night. Nowadays, I flip it to the other side after 3 night or so which lets me get a week out of one bath towel. I love the soft bamboo/cotton blends. I have been doing this for 14 years and I don't think it's a coincidence that my adult acne cleared up around when I started.

2. Moisture. Started wearing moisturizer at 30 even though I had oily, acne prone skin. The very first moisturizer was called, I think, Hydra+effet by ROC and I got it at a French pharmacy while on vacation. I'm pretty sure that even though I didn't know what I was doing, I was actually repairing my skin barrier, which is had been attacking with scrubs, astringents, and harsh topicals.

3. Knowledge. I started reading about the science behind skin care and learned how to read an ingredient list carefully. I learned how to avoid irritants and shop for products that have antioxidants, anti-irritants, and things like Retinol that can communicate with deeper layers of the skin.

4. Gentleness. This goes hand in hand with #2. I was really great at overdoing everything. All the scrubs, disinfectants/antibacterials, manual manipulation, and especially harsh cleansers made me feel like I was being diligent but I was just tearing myself to shreds. The first gentle cleanser I ever used was in 1999 or so -- a glycerin cleanser that Skin Biology sold at the time called Gentle Clean. Once I gave it a fair chance, my persistently inflamed face looked a little better each morning.

5. Sunscreen. Every day. Duh.

Those are the biggies for me. Certain ingredients come to mind (niacinimide, Retinol, BHA, etc.) but without the five changes above, I don't know that I would be enjoying a long stretch of relatively good skin health.

What were your game-changers?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Hello alienoreo,
i am new to this forum, but thought will make this my first post here.

the best thing i did for my skin was a bit like you, make sure i am sleeping on a new surface every night, as we don't see it but there is hair and dead skin all over.

i also really made skincare a routine thing. Found a cleanser that worked well for me, along with a toner. And i only moisturized at night, with a free radical fighting moisturizer, as i did not need to otherwise.

also once/twice a week i would use an deep cleansing exfoliating mask, as i lived in a very congested city, so knew skin really need to have all these 'car fumes/air conditioning effects' pulled out of it.

also i know some may look it as a waste, but our skin is an important organ and i made sure to put filters on all the faucets in my house, and would only dry my face with those paper towels by patting dry. which just seemed more hygienic that face wash clothes, even when we keep washing the latter.

also by once/twice a week i mean that if i used it on a Sunday...i'd use it on Saturday next, then the next Friday and so on...
it did not only make my skin clean and nice but very radiant to, that people i've known for years would ask me if i'm wearing make up when i was not.

the two brands whose products gave me the best effects were the body shop and Clarins.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:20 am      Reply with quote
(1) sleeping on back
(2) Reaura - good for me because I have the problems it fixes best ie. sun damage.
alienoreo
5% products discount

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome, amabelle! I love to use the Kleenex disposable hand towels for drying my face or removing oil after a massage. Very sanitary and I don't have to worry about whether or not my washing machine is going to be able to handle the gunk.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 am      Reply with quote
I use glutathione everyday i take 1 capsule
purplecity
5% products discount

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, esp. for No.1. I never considered this point before, but I think you are right. Making the face in a clean pad is better for its self-repair overnight
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:24 am      Reply with quote
For adult acne prone skin? I can definitely relate.

All the above are excellent ideas. I would add:

• double cleansing with a gentle cleanser. (I use SircuitSkin X-Trap+) Some sunscreens are very tenacious and can cause breakouts if left on the skin overnight.

• adding vitamin B and other ingredients to your C serum. Vitamin B6 really helps with breakouts as well as zinc.

• eliminating sugar and processed foods. This really helps me. YMMV

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 am      Reply with quote
You wouldn't believe what plain oatmeal, green tea toner and moisterizer can do - work miracles!
I've had very mild acne as a teenager and became acne free and now at 29 years old, still acne free using this stuff. Each iteam is only a dollar. When it comes moisterizer, I use olive oil, but really its up to you on if your skin is oily, dry, combo. So moisterizer is a personal choice.
I just wet the oatmeal scrub my face let it sit for a while rinse and apply green teabags after let it dry then moisterizer. At the time I was a teenager nothing on the market worked...funny how sometimes items in your very own kitchen can be the best skin care products Smile

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 am      Reply with quote
just put lotion daily
mfdg

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
take accutane Very Happy
It was so helpfull, i dont have any spot now
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
constantly doing something and everything. I've gone through so many phases using different products.

But, bottom line; I'm always taking care of my skin.

I'd compare it to a person who has always exercised. running for a few years.. then kick boxing...then swimming. Bottom line..they're always fit and trim because they're dedicated and keep exercise a priority. same with skincare.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Good point hotdoc - Staying the course and consistency is key - doesn't have to mean the same products all the time (Or the same exercise).
I tell myself I have to spend an hour a day on something beneficial and anti-aging. Can be exercise. It can be my Pico toner and facial exercises.
It can be a facial followed by Merbe and skin detox or other massage.
I mix it up and some days I marathon! (2 hours or more if I'm really going at exercise and then skincare gadgetry). I tend to Marathon at least two days a week.

With all the things we have in our arsenol(gadgets, skin care products, etc. I had to come to the conclusion that so long as I'm doing something that's productive and try to keep everything in the mix at reasonable pace I'm good. I like all of my stuff - skin, hair, nails and often double task - mask on the face, mask on the hair and doing arm exercises.

The idea is that I'm performing some level of maintenance. My newest fave product is the Foreo Luna. Never would've thought I'd like it the way I do. Totally blows the Clarisonic out of the water for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
sistersweets...so true. It is doing something all the time that works.. just proves that whatever one dedicates their time to will bring results.

My sisters marvel at my wrinkle free skin and now are panic stricken trying to make up for years of doing next to nothing.

Then I tell them where to start; like obaji nuderm ..or retin a..or green cream. then they don't want to go through the peeling/red stage. In short..they don't want to put in the time and effort to truly get younger skin.

...so I give up..and realize this is my thing..

that's why major cosmetic companies make money on those quick results no downtime products.

now i'm going to go google some of your favorite treatments... I'm always up for something new.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hotdoc - I have used green cream and loved it. I used the 2 highest levels and saw results. (Much more so than with retin-A. Go figure!).

My skin care * spam alert * is something I do not flaunt - I can only imagine what people would say if they knew about my skincare gadget collection (whew!). I justify it all by saying - it's healthy vanity and maintenance and good for my mind, body and spirit to take care of myself physically. Some people spend a ton on skiing or golfing or any other hobbies - this just happens to be mine. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets.. I actually left my beloved clarsonic in a hotel a while back. I've been without it..and want to get another one.

But now this Luna fascinates me. Can you tell me why you like it better? I'm very curious. At first glance; it doesn't look like much. But I trust your opinion.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
hotdoc - Re: F. Luna - I agree. It doesn't look like much. Here's what I've noticed and I haven't had it that long. First of all I had been using my Clarisonic consistently before my FL arrived. I haven't used my Clarisonic since.

The F.L. is hygienic, small, fits in your hand nicely. Works something like 400 cleanings between needing charged. Mine hasn't needed recharged yet. It would be easy to pack. Plus no brushes to replace. It comes color-coded based on skin type - there is a white one, a pink one and a blue one...(normal, sensitive or mine - which is combo skin - I have blue). There is also a discount code for 35% off - You can find it on Foreo Luna thread. Without that I would not have gotten it.

As far as results - my face feels deep down cleaner and my skin feels and looks more refined and I have skin that tends to be oily. I can't say as I saw the same things with the Clarisonic (and I like my Clarisonic). I use the cleansing mode and then kick on the antiaging mode - Each of these is only one minute in length although you can use it for up to 3 minutes. You turn on the device and it signals when a minute is up for the cleaning (also there are signals for when you can change it around the face but they aren't so important). You can pause it and rinse your face, pat dry and put on serums and then push the device back on and use the antiaging side of the F.L. In my mind it is for basic product penetration - not the level of a Merbe but a nice function nonetheless. I use it for C-serum in the morning.

Please note you cannot use exfoliants or anything silicone based with the Foreo Luna. It would break down the exterior I guess.

For me - If I had to rebuy one or the other I'd go with the F.L. I suggest you read the Foreo Luna thread. Sigma has one and she is the reason I really felt it was a valuable purchase. I was skeptical but I do see that it works better for me than the Clarisonic. (which I will still use with an exfoliant for doing facials - but for everyday it's the F.L.)

I'm not trying to be an enabler - honest! Since you may want to replace your skin cleaning device I would certainly check it out. Nothing to lose. You may even want to pm some of the owners of the FL for their opinions. The Clarisonic almost seems 'old school' in comparison.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Super One by Pure Chimp. Its a 2 in 1 (cleanser & moisturiser). It
• Will not clog your pores
• Gently reduce inflammation and hydrate your skin naturally
• No nasties & naturally perfect for sensitive skin
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets… I'm still on the fence about what to do. I don't have acne at all. I have loved my clarsonic. It seems people with acne love the Luna… but does it work better than the clarsonic for normal skin.
I swear the clarsonic makes my face tighter and prevents sag. Do you feel the Luna does the same?
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I make my own skin creams. I use a simple Vitamin C mixture one night. The next night I use as a DYI cream consisting of a base cream (Cerave) to which I add Niacinamide, L Carnosine, Dill extract ( I make that myself) and Martixyl 3000. The third night I use Retin A and then back to the Vitamin C and so on.

During the day I always use the Cerave mixture with Sunscreen over the top.

It ain't so simple but, well, that's what I do.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 am      Reply with quote
-Dermaroller

-cutting junk food

-never use hot/warm water

I have still a lot to learn about skin health.
In fact skin doesnt like many things,so the only way to clear up is to not poison yourself further and let it breathe.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
-Dermaroller

-cutting junk food

In fact skin doesnt like many things,so the only way to clear up is to not poison yourself further and let it breathe.

Hummm. We'll have to agree to disagree on the warm water thingy. I've used warm water on my skin all my adult life. I take a very warm, wet wash cloth and press it on my face for 3 or 4 minutes each morning and night. I re-wet the wash cloth throughout, keeping the warmth consistent. It relaxes the facial muscles, presses wrinkles out, it's soothing, it moisturizes the skin, the warm water is good for the sinuses and it readies the skin for topical skin care. I'm almost 60 and don't have wrinkles. Warm water is my friend.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
i like that tip.."warm water" and it is the right price too. Very Happy
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Tiptoedancer wrote:
panoslydios wrote:
-Dermaroller

-cutting junk food

Hummm. We'll have to agree to disagree on the warm water thingy. I've used warm water on my skin all my adult life. I take a very warm, wet wash cloth and press it on my face for 3 or 4 minutes each morning and night. I re-wet the wash cloth throughout, keeping the warmth consistent. It relaxes the facial muscles, presses wrinkles out, it's soothing, it moisturizes the skin, the warm water is good for the sinuses and it readies the skin for topical skin care. I'm almost 60 and don't have wrinkles. Warm water is my friend.

Then you would have better skin without it.
Burning your cells is never a good thing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
Tiptoedancer wrote:
panoslydios wrote:
-Dermaroller

-cutting junk food

Then you would have better skin without it.
Burning your cells is never a good thing.

Please provide evidence for skin cells being burned with warm water. I will need to see at least one double blind, peer review study on whether warm water burns skin cells before I change my warm water/warm wash cloth facial. Nothing anecdotal, a peer reviewed studies. Smile
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I dont want to waste my time on double blind studies.Who cares really?Life is more beautiful when you just dont know.

I stick to the Hippocrates oath''Do not do any further damage''.
Warm water makes my skin dry and looking tired.
It evaporates the fluid that makes your skin look plump.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |