Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Estrogen and nose size (Not sure where to post this)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All. A very curious thing has happened in my families and I really don't know where to start except at the beginning. Bear with me, this story meanders a bit before I come to the topic at hand. Four years ago when my son was 18 years old he came to me with a very heavy heart and told me he was transgender. Of course, I was stunned and disbelieving. Well, through a year and a half of counseling and finally culminating with a brain scan, it appeared that he did indeed have a brain wired to be female. Through much more counseling and therapy (for all of us I might add) he started transitioning to female taking estrogen, progesterone and testosterone blockers.

My first reaction to the transition was that her nose was going to be a problem as she had quite the male nose which looked fine on a male face but on a female it wasn't going to look so nice. But as the hormones began to take effect the nose became smaller and smaller. It is now a very feminine and lovely nose. Quite dainty even.

The other thing that happened is that the eyes changed to a more feminine eye. I'm not sure how to define this except that the eye became more tilted at the corners, the lashes grew, the cheek bones and jaw softened and the skin is dewy and soft as well.

This didn't surprise me as much as the nose. I would say it's about one third the size it used to be. At least.

I know our noses get longer as we age as the cartilage grows, I know my nose is generally bigger than it used to be especially after menopause. But I wonder if it has anything to do with the drop in estrogen? I use estrogen cream on my face twice a week and this morning as I was applying the estrogen I made sure to apply it to my nose.

Curious isn't it? Thoughts?

By the way, for those who might be wondering, a week after starting estrogen my new daughter felt 100% better both physically and mentally. A new and wonderful person has emerged, someone who isn't troubled by life. It was the first time I saw her happy, the very first time. At 22 she's finally at peace with herself and I'm happy too. She's quite pretty now. It was been a long and difficult 18 years prior to the transition. Sigh. Very difficult indeed.

Again, what are your thoughts on estrogen and nose size?

Thanks!
jasminerosey 1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
wow..intense and beautiful sharing, Tiptoedancer.

it's like unveiling who she really is...!
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey 1 wrote:
wow..intense and beautiful sharing, Tiptoedancer.

it's like unveiling who she really is...!

Thank you jasminerosey. It really has been intense. I can't get over how small her nose became though. It really made me wonder about how much the hormones effect our faces after menopause. It's like the nose has estrogen receptors or something!
Angelfire
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Tiptoedancer, thanks for sharing about your daughter's experiences. I have heard many women say that their nose changes during pregnancy, so hormones play such a big part during our life
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting tiptoedancer. I applaud you and daughter both.
I have heard that when someone is pregnant with a boy they tend to have a change in the size of their nose (bigger) and not so when pregnant with a girl. I can't say as I have definitively followed this logic or noticed it but ??? maybe.

I have to wonder how does a nose shrink so much? Where does all the tissue and cartilage go that used to be there?

5% products discount

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful story, thank you for sharing!

I'll keep that nose thing in mind as I approach menopause Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story. I can only imagine your family's journey and am glad she is happy and at peace. That is all I would ever want for my child.
But the estrogen/nose ratio is very interesting and something I would never have imagined!
There may be something to that theory on the pregnancy. I have a pregnant DIL and they have been told the baby is a girl. Her nose has not changed at all! I will be watching very carefully.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm All I can add to this is "God works in mysterious ways." Thank God she is finally completely happy within herself and she has such a loving and supportive mom. Be proud of both you and your daughter for listening to your inner selves.
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Angelfire wrote:
Tiptoedancer, thanks for sharing about your daughter's experiences. I have heard many women say that their nose changes during pregnancy, so hormones play such a big part during our life

Humm. I haven't thought about pregnancy and nose changing. When I was pregnant I was so overwhelmed by my large tummy I didn't even notice my nose!
Tiptoedancer
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
SylviaKatt wrote:
Wonderful story, thank you for sharing!

I'll keep that nose thing in mind as I approach menopause Rolling Eyes

When I look at older women some have large noses. Some of it is probably bone shrinkage, that is the jaw bone becomes smaller and probably the cheek bones collapse. This probably makes the nose look larger in contrast but I'm pretty sure hormones have something to do with it. Hopefully facial exercises will help bone loss and keep the nose looking small.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing your story!

The cartilage (nose/ears) continues to grow as folks age which might explain why noses and ears look bigger in older ppl.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yes - nose and ears droop.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 am      Reply with quote

On some its ok. Others not so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Seems to me that in nearly every photo taken of a woman in the hospital holding her newborn, her nose looks like it has swollen and grown, seemingly overnight. Sometime after, the nose goes back to its normal shape.

I always attributed it to a combination of hormonal changes and water retention.

Wondering if the mods should move this thread out of DIY and into another area of the forum?

Thanks

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |