Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pollution, stress take toll on skin aging
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Thought some might find this article from Dermatology Times interesting.

Pollution, stress take toll on skin aging

A couple of interesting bits from the article:

Quote:
In addition to cigarette smoke, Dr. Draelos says air pollution is also a major extrinsic contributing factor to premature skin aging. Research has shown that the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) that are bound to the nanoparticles in the air from pollution are converted to quinones, according to Dr. Draelos. These quinones are the redox cycle chemicals that in turn produce reactive oxygen species (ROS), which result in the same type of skin aging that is seen with chronic exposure to UV light.

As air pollution will likely remain a major issue, particularly for those who reside in larger cities, Dr. Draelos says she often recommends that her patients regularly wash their face and consume antioxidants.

“Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are inadvertently delivered to the skin via nanoparticles resultant from different forms of air pollution,” she says. “Washing the skin is one effective way of reducing the nanoparticle content on the skin surface. More information is needed in topical formulation development to combat this newly recognized skin aging mechanism.”

Quinones not only prematurely age the skin by creating ROS, Dr. Draelos says, but they are also thought to be a driving force behind pigmentation, which in and of itself can be considered another form of skin aging.

“Indeed, it has been shown that there is more facial dyspigmentation in individuals who dwell in high PAH environments (i.e. cities) compared to those who live in rural areas,” Dr. Draelos says.

In a recent still to be published study sponsored by L’Oréal, Dr. Draelos says the effects of PAH on the skin of 93 individuals living in a rural area in Mexico was compared to that of 93 individuals living in Mexico City. Researchers analyzed both vitamin E and the squalene content in the facial sebum of all study participants, and found that there was a decreased vitamin E as well as a decreased squalene content in the individuals who lived in the city environment.

Quote:
Chronic psychological stress is another factor that has been recently implicated as a contributor to accelerated cellular aging, Dr. Draelos says. In a recent study, researchers showed that in individuals who have premature aging possibly due to chronic psychological stress also have decreased leukocyte telomere length (O’Donovan A, Tomiyama J, Lin J, et al. Brain Behav Immun. 2012;26(4):573-579).

See full article here: http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine.com/dermatology-times/news/pollution-stress-take-toll-skin-aging#sthash.3fLJvgiG.dpuf
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank You for the info!
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
That IS interesting

One of the main reasons I’d been (note: past tense) a very lo-o-ong EL Night Repair Serum user was mainly due to their promo of the past 20+ years -- and current promo –
that *it* >”…supports your skin’s natural repair and protective process. Used every day to help continuously repair the appearance of EVERY MAJOR ENVIRONMENTAL ASSAULT….” (If I recall, back during the years when I was using *it*, EL referred to it as “environmental stress” and I knew IRL that *dirty air* was an issue I had no control over outside the home environment.) Of note, squalene has always been right up there in its ingredient listing as well. (Per your article-link under

New Product Development > “...This is a new area of research, she says, that hopefully will bear fruit in terms of the development of more effective topical products that can counteract the harmful PAHs. Moreover, Dr. Draelos says one of the ways of showing just how much pollution is affecting someone’s skin is to analyze and measure the squalene content in their sebum.

One of the problems in developing new topical products is that one needs to have an endpoint that can be measured, but quantifying the ROS on a patient’s skin is not possible. According to Dr. Draelos, measuring the squalene content could be one approach, as it provides an endpoint that perhaps could be used to analyze different skin appearances in individuals who are exposed to this type of environmental change.

“Perhaps in the future, you could actually just do a sebum swab of a patient’s face, analyze the squalene content, start an intervention with a topical formulation, and then look to see if more of the squalene is present in an oxidized state. If you had less oxidized squalene, that would tell you that there is less ROS being produced and that your product, if used over a lifetime, could reduce the oxidative burden of damage that prematurely ages people beyond their chronological years,” Dr. Draelos says....

Thanks for allowing me to *walk down memory-lane*.

I suppose what was old news is now NEW news again. (?) or maybe just better news.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Great info and don't forget a lack of oxygen. I read an article which I'm upset I didn't *bookmark* it shown because of the shallow breathing, our face ages and stated to take 5-7 min a day doing *deep breathing* . It shown a before an after of a women adding deep breathing daily to her routine and that alone made her face go. From tired looking to plump, and younger.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |