Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does Avocado Oil prevents the skin from tanning?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I read that avocado oil can prevent the skin from tanning.

Here's the article:

http://www.boldsky.com/beauty/skin-care/2013/top-ten-natural-oils-that-act-as-sunscreen-033701.html#slide10741

Is that a true fact?

Thank You!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Im callin BS.

According to this study the fixed oils tested only as spf 1-7:

"It can be observed from Table 3 that the SPF values found for nonvolatile oils were in between 2 and 8; and for volatile oils, in between 1 and 7. Out of these nonvolatile or fixed oils taken, the SPF value of olive oil and coconut oil was found to be around 8; castor oil, around 6; almond oil, around 5; mustard oil and chaulmoogra oil, around 3; and sesame oil, around 2. Hence it can be concluded that olive oil and coconut oil have the best SPF values, a finding that will be helpful in the selection of fixed oil during the formulation of sunscreens."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140123/

Bear in mind that not all oils are photostable. Rosehip oil is not photostable and breaks down to form free radicals in UVR.

If youre looking for an herbal remedy for reducing sun damage, silymarin is a better idea:

"Silymarin is a flavonoid compound found in the seeds of milk thistle (Silybum marianum)[63] [Table 1]. Silymarin consists of the following three phytochemicals: silybin, silidianin, and silicristin. Silybin is the most active phytochemical.[44] Topical silymarin has been shown to have a remarkable antitumor effect. The number of tumors induced in the skin of hairless mice by UVB light was reduced by 92%. Silymarin reduced UV-induced sunburn cell formation and apoptosis. The result was not related to a sunscreen effect and an antioxidant mechanism may be responsible.[62] Silymarin treatment prevents UVB-induced immune suppression and oxidative stress in vivo.[64]"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263051/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
^^ but actually, the ppd (UVA protection) should tell whether something will keep a person from tanning, not the spf.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Really? I thought UVB rays also contributed to tanning, as well as UVA. I believe the wavelength penetration depth differs, with UVA being a longer wave.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Really? Rosehip Oil? I have been using it during the day under the sunblock omg!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
UVB = burning and erythema
UVA = AGEING!

Rosehip seed oil is nice for night but degrades in UVR.

Chart showing sun stability of oils. The completely colored-in "suns" are stable oils. The hollow "suns" are not stable. You may need google translate if you dont read German!

http://www.olionatura.de/_oele/fettkennzahlen.php

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Wow that is interesting! I have been using the Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Moistureizer SPF30 for years now and it's main oil is sunflower oil it also has coconut oil and as well as zinc and titanium sunblock.

I can't make out what it says about the sunflower oil on that page, would you say that having sunflower oil in a sunblock is a bad idea or does the zinc and titanium makeit ok?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
pandora77 wrote:
Wow that is interesting! I have been using the Kimberly Sayer Ultra Light Moistureizer SPF30 for years now and it's main oil is sunflower oil it also has coconut oil and as well as zinc and titanium sunblock.

I can't make out what it says about the sunflower oil on that page, would you say that having sunflower oil in a sunblock is a bad idea or does the zinc and titanium makeit ok?

Sunflower oil is NOT UV stable. Coconut oil IS.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Regarding the Rosehip oil free radical break down, I only wash my face at night and apply rosehip oil and only splash my face with water in the morning, will the rosehip oil remain on the skin and keep creating free radicals if not washed away entirely with soap? See I only use the Oil Cleasing Method at night and it's enough, my skin tends to get pretty irritated if done twice a day!

Just wondering, Thank You!
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Any answer for the last question please?

Thank You!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |