Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Looking for advice from anyone who is over 40
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Finally, if I should say that, I'm in my 40's.

My skin is not as oily but sweat a lot and my skin is normal to dry sometimes very dry depending on the season.
Drinking a lot of water helps.

Can EDS friends here in their older 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's tell me when and what changes their skin did and what did you wish you knew back then in order to slow down the process of aging.

I'm afraid of skin sagging and I know it will happen. What product can help?
I have discoloration and I'm not sure if I should use Obagi or what to deal with it and I still get blackheads and some breakouts.

I switched to a more gentle cleanser the past few years. My lotions are not unique in anyway and I did stop using vitamin c serum. Should I go back to using it?
I now use Differin and it's okay...not the same as retin a but that was getting to be a bit too strong and drying me out.

I think I found the perfect sun protection but the real test will be in the summer and I'm going back to wearing foundation to cover all those discolorations either from sun damage or sensitivity due to allergy season. I guess I won't be wearing foundation in the summer because I have to keep reapplying sun protection.

I also stopped using lactic acid peels and I'm not using my microdermabrasion machine as much anymore. The most would be in the summer.

The popular ingredient in CereVe (niacinamide) product does not work well on me. It's very aggrivating and makes my skin go red. I rather avoid it as much as possible.

I don't want to invest in makeup because I rather do that with skin care.

I would also like to add that generally, my skin love oils. Years ago, it was Sonya Dakar omega oil that was under my lotion and now, I use cleansing oil (Shu) and my body love Clarins body oil which I sometimes mix with a body lotion.

Can I get suggestions?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am      Reply with quote
It seems to me that as you age, the things that bother you just get worse. For me it was fine lines around the mouth and sag.

I see you mention discoloration. That does get worse as you age. That might be an area to focus on. The Reaura or Tria helps a great deal with pigmentation. I've heard Obaji does as well.

For sag, keep a good diet, facial exercises and smile. I've yet to find a topical that helps sag.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:06 am      Reply with quote
And keep using the sunscreen!
jasminerosey 1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare,

i'm in my late 60's..and definetely i wish i had know at a much younger age..and would like to advise all younger women..is to be aware of the tremendous facial bone changes that occur naturally as we age...(perhaps later..if time permits.. i will post a link to a site that shows illustratively the differences that occur..but meanwhile you can google for the info)

among other bone changes, the cheek bones thin very very noticeably and the eye sockets increase very noticeably also..and you can image..and of course have witnessed in many mature women...the impact this has on the overall 'look' of the face.

so what to do about it?.....i don't really know scientifically...but i would imagine that whatever saves bone in the rest of the body also saves bone in the face... THIS INCLUDES bone density diets...including sea vegetables and mineral rich terbal teas...mineral supplements..i prefer angstrom energized liquid minerals cause i know they are assimiliated well....tapping the bones of the face with vigour (of course not enough to cause damage!)pressing on the bones of the face (with changing amounts of impact..of course not enough to cause damage)...perhaps facial exercises may help..depending i suppose on the type of exxercise.
jasminerosey 1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
just a few more notes about what might aid facial bones to remain more dense..perhaps the Save your Face DVD using balls might help...i use it..it's created to stimulate and reposition bone back to it's original position in the face (facial bone also moves as we mature).. and Flex Effect facial exercise program has a bone density component to it.. i personally spend a lot more time in tapping//pushing with pressure into my facial bones than the program recommends..best to start slowly though..and best to get an understanding of how to do so without damaging your face..so the FE bone segment exercises or the save your face dvd progam seem like they might be good places to start
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
jasmine - what a very excellent post about bone density. You have scared me into checking out Angstrom minerals. Do you do the morning and evening versions - I am also looking at the Germanium - due to my sinus issues. I am a mineral believer - have been, but these look great. Thanks for suggesting them. All of sudden I'm back to massaging facial bones. I wonder how much/often you need to massage the orbital bones? It kind of feels good.
If you have the link you were referring to - please share. Best. Sis

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Great post about bone changes Jasmine. I've posted the following link before but IMO it is so important that it cant be posted enough. I really believe that when you are preventing bone loss in the rest of the body, you are as well in the facial/skull area. I've been taking at least 100mcg vitamin K2(mk7) and other forms of K for almost 6 years now. MK7 being the most important.Along with co-factors such as magnesium, boron, D3.
I had a couple of cavities that are gone now and have been re-mineralized since I added the K complex. Do a search on this. Very interesting to say the least.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/jan2009_Vitamin-K-Protection-Against-Arterial-Calcification-Bone-Loss-Cancer-Aging_01.htm

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Vitamin-K-Complex-with-K1-K2-400-mcg-180-Softgels
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:42 am      Reply with quote
This is another option with mk4 but less mk7.

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Ultra-Vitamin-K-with-Advanced-K2-Complex
Tyger
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Jasminerosey about facial bones - when sitting at my desk, I sometimes rest my cheekbones on my closed fists and press down, ditto eyebrow bones and jawbone, to create some stress that the facial bones wouldn't normally get. I would also say look at your mother and grandmothers to get an idea of how you will age and what to look out for! I have found that my skin type and the way I am ageing has more in common with my maternal grandmother.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey 1 wrote:
Skincare,

i'm in my late 60's..and definetely i wish i had know at a much younger age..and would like to advise all younger women..is to be aware of the tremendous facial bone changes that occur naturally as we age...(perhaps later..if time permits.. i will post a link to a site that shows illustratively the differences that occur..but meanwhile you can google for the info)

among other bone changes, the cheek bones thin very very noticeably and the eye sockets increase very noticeably also..and you can image..and of course have witnessed in many mature women...the impact this has on the overall 'look' of the face.

so what to do about it?.....i don't really know scientifically...but i would imagine that whatever saves bone in the rest of the body also saves bone in the face... THIS INCLUDES bone density diets...including sea vegetables and mineral rich terbal teas...mineral supplements..i prefer angstrom energized liquid minerals cause i know they are assimiliated well....tapping the bones of the face with vigour (of course not enough to cause damage!)pressing on the bones of the face (with changing amounts of impact..of course not enough to cause damage)...perhaps facial exercises may help..depending i suppose on the type of exxercise.

JR - do you have a favorite mineral rich herbal tea?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:

I agree. Which one are you using?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 am      Reply with quote
This is great information, and I agree that an internal "mode of attack" is necessary as we age. By that I mean, supplements and mineral therapy, as described in this thread. I also think, in addition to decreasing bone mass and collagen/elastin degeneration, that diminishing adipose tissue (fat) contributes significantly to the appearance of an aging face. I think we need to address all three of these factors, however, not just one, in order to preserve aesthetically pleasing facial features. That's why the elderly socialite or aging celebrity, with her face pumped full of fillers, looks swollen rather than youthful---the fillers only address one causative factor, the adipose tissue deficit, whereas the lack of bone support and scanty collagen matrix are ignored. Even a full facelift on an older person, done without addressing all the factors involved in facial structure, looks odd rather than youthful. It's all connected, and it all falls apart as we age, unfortunately.

The older we get, the more crucial it becomes to focus on internal methods as opposed to just topicals. Increase healthy dietary fats, choose effective supplements (EPO, K, vitamin C, and minerals as mentioned in this thread, etc.) and use a high strength topical vitamin A (either tretinoin or Environ C-Quence for high-dose Vitamin A&C together) and a topical vitamin C. Use a topical estrogen cream on your face, either estriol or estradiol. Also supplement hormones using bio-identical options, being careful to only supplement diminishing hormones back to normal levels and to not over-supplement. I also think infrequent rolling (perhaps once or twice per year for a deep roll, perhaps once per week for a shallow roll) works well to stimulate collagen regeneration.

I'm not a fan of facial exercises, despite understanding the theory behind the practice, and I'd be reluctant to encourage repeated slapping of the facial skin so to avoid chronic inflammatory response (swelling, skin reddening, etc.). I doubt that bone tapping is effective for facial structure, but I do believe that dietary support is completely necessary.
Cheerisonic
5% products discount

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am in my 50's and am seeing quite a few changes.

I am learning less is more, be more gentle with the skin. Moisturizing oils mixed in with my moisturizer are really helping me from being so dry.

Green Tea and Glycerin Serum whether it is for pre-treatment LED or not has helped my skin. I think Vitamin C serum is a must.

The internal nourishing with vitamins and minerals are a must as the others have stated.

Great information here!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:

I agree. Which one are you using?

Not sure if the question is direct to me or the OP. But anyhow...I alternate amoungst Pratima, Marie Veronique Face Screen or Devita Moisture Tint.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've done facial exercises since my mid-twenties on and off. Avoided the sun growing up and I wear sunscreen. I am disciplined with my good skincare and I eat pretty healthy. I'm 50 and despite all that, my neck is getting a bit crinkly and the bottom of my chin, when I look down. It's inevitable. Still, I could look worse if I didn't do all this. Laughing I noticed my hollows are getting worse and my hair is thinning. Fun times.

The only suggestion I have is whatever anti-aging approach you use, make it a daily habit. And never let up. If you do, you will find all your hard work can be gone in a flash and then you would have to start over. You must be self-disciplined.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Swissmom, your post has not gone unnoticed and I've reflected what you said and I think you are very right on that.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've always taken care of my skin with supplements (lots of vitamin c and e), sunscreen, no drinking or smoking so it's paying off in my 40s now but due to financial situations the last few years I could not afford to maintain the routine until recently and my skin suffered.

I have some fine lines, spots but mostly really dry skin. I've had IPL treatments for the spots and dryness. I think it's improved a bit but after five I didn't see much improvement after the first one which was too bad. But the dryness is better though. I found that I am now getting milia quite easily, literally overnight. I guess my skin is thinner a bit or the shedding made my pores more open. After IPL, treatments I found my routine was too rich.

After the first IPL, my skin was shedding with some white and dark flakes. After a few days, my skin looked Hollywood radiant and was smooth. Sadly, I haven't seen more improvements after that but my large pores are gone except on my nose.

Along with diet and supplements, (I don't believe in facial exercises) I've been getting acupuncture to deal with menopause symptoms and poor circulation. Improving circulation via diet or exercise I think can help a lot too. The doctor said it can help with the dryness too.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with you Sakura!

I'm experiencing this now, but vitamin E causes more problems.
Acupuncture makes me sick and it hurts.

I've used IPL and it worked for sunspots and red veins but you have to use it on regular basis and that is costly.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I have to agree with you Sakura!

I'm experiencing this now, but vitamin E causes more problems.
Acupuncture makes me sick and it hurts.

I've used IPL and it worked for sunspots and red veins but you have to use it on regular basis and that is costly.

I got a group deal on them but I don't think I would otherwise spend the money. She said I need five treatments but they didn't work on the lighter spots. I shall see as I had my last one yesterday. I was hoping not to have to do it regularly though. I think I will go back to vitamin c serums but I have to find one that doesnt make me yellow.

Acupuncture is supposed to hurt for the first bit if your points are really out of sync. I find it relaxing and only painful for the first few seconds. How does it make you feel sick? You can check outwww.acutakehealth.com for a different practitioner.
Lunar6
5% products discount

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 48 and I dont think there's anything I could have done except not sunbathed in my teens.

Im quite hopeful that medical/cosmetic technology will improve in my lifetime, perhaps we'll be able to use stem cells to reverse aging and regenerate tissue.
In the meantime I'll just keep on keeping on Very Happy
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Lunar6 wrote:
I'm 48 and I dont think there's anything I could have done except not sunbathed in my teens.

Im quite hopeful that medical/cosmetic technology will improve in my lifetime, perhaps we'll be able to use stem cells to reverse aging and regenerate tissue.

You can't think like that! The face you have now start preserving it so it'll look great at 80!

There are treatments that can take a few years off your face. Even a few can make a difference in self esteem.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Mostly I am happy. Although I do get ticked off every month when my chin breaks out. I think at 40 my hormones should start to slow down and cause less grief!

5% products discount

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Sakura, I think I didnt word my post very well, I meant that I will keep on doing whatever I can to keep my skin (and all the rest of me!) in tip tip condition Wink Very Happy
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
Mostly I am happy. Although I do get ticked off every month when my chin breaks out. I think at 40 my hormones should start to slow down and cause less grief!

Ah yes. I think it could be from the end of the phone resting on the chin. This is what I think for myself because I suffer the same.
MissLenaiya
5% products discount

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Lunar6 wrote:

Indefinite lifespan possible in 20 years, expert predicts

Ethical Technology

Posted: Jan 22, 2013

New Google hire and renowned futurist Ray Kurzweil sums up how technologies might play out over the next two decades with this claim: “If you remain in good health for 20 more years, you may never die.”

Kurzweil looks at today's trends to piece together a convincing picture of what science hopes to accomplish in the future. He believes we will eliminate most disease, pain, forgetfulness and aging. "If you live well for the next 20 years," he says, "you may be able to live in perfect health for as long as you wish."

Although accidents, crime, and other forms of violence, may still cause death in this future time, nobody will die from heart problems, cancer, diabetes, or most of the other age-related diseases.

This future is not surprising considering the current speed of medical innovations. It seems just about every week, we hear researchers make fresh discoveries, or begin clinical trials for a new therapy; and over the next 20 years, experts say, healthcare breakthroughs will occur at even faster rates than today.

In a recent Technology Review interview, Harvard genetics professor George Church forecasts a bright future for regenerative medicine using stem cells. Involved in the Personal Genome Project, a massive effort to sequence the genes of 100,000 people, Church sees an increase in doctors using induced pluripotent stem cells (IPS) to create replacement organs and tissues between now and 2030.

These wonder cells could one day regenerate nearly every part of the human body, Church says. At first, the process will be used to make sick patients well, but it will soon become clear that people, who enjoy good health, will want these procedures to enhance and strengthen their already healthy bodies.

Nanomedicine author Robert Freitas talks to Ray Kurzweil in this video interview about developing tiny nanorobots that can roam through our bodies, repairing cell damage. "The hard part is building the first one", Freitas says; "although the progress may seem slow, nanorobots will one day become reality."

Freitas compares nanomedicine development to the computer industry. It took 60 years of market-driven research to bring computers to their present state with today's 'smart' cell-phones, laptops and tablets; and we will see a similar, but more rapid progression with medical nanorobots.

"This revolutionary nanoscience," Freitas says, "is in beginning stages of producing bio robots now. Next will be hybrid robots built from engineered structural DNA, synthetic proteins, and other non-biological materials. Finally, by early 2030s or before, researchers will produce completely artificial devices: nanorobots capable of protecting every cell in the body from disease, injury; and even aging."

If we define disease as something gone wrong with an otherwise healthy body, Freitas adds, then aging; and indeed, 'natural death' are diseases, which occur when the body's cellular structure cannot repair damages. Nanomedicine will not only allow us to repair these damages, but we can undo damage already inflicted. This means that the young can remain young and the old will become young.

In just 20 years, seniors and 'boomers might look in the mirror wondering, "Who is that gorgeous creature?" Their reflection would reveal a perfectly-shaped body with natural hair color, wrinkle-free skin, and real teeth. By mid-to-late-2030s, people will remain healthy indefinitely, enjoying a futuristic lifestyle with driver-less cars, household robots, and vacations to Moon, Mars and other exotic locations in space.

Even though our lives will improve immensely, extending human lifespans beyond what some consider 'natural' may evoke controversy. Religions hold that death is inevitable; that living a good life sends believers to an afterlife paradise, and memories of lost loved ones live on in the hearts of descendants.

Nevertheless, experts believe this controversy will not stop efforts to extend health and increase human lifespan. Demand from citizens who believe they deserve improved health and longer, happier lives, will drive this future forward; and it could become reality in time to benefit most people alive today.

Will abilities to extend life progress like this? Stem cell advances, genetic breakthroughs, and nanotech discoveries are occurring almost daily. Humanity's dream of immortality could be just around the corner!"

See article here:
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/pelletier20130122

EXCELLENT documentary on this process, explained in great detail using artificial intelligence and nanobots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_u9XzTBqTE

I also have some very fascinating information I stumbled across in a book I found in my friend's mother's library, how to literally reverse the signs of aging (not with cosmetic enhancements or products or dermal treatments, but by synchronizing the seven chakra's in our bodies that are akin to vortexes, most of them are spinning on different levels (some faster than others) this creates an imbalance within our bodies and causes us to age and even accelerates the process. If you can synchronize their spinning, it apparently not only slows down the aging process but actually reverses it. I will create a separate thread and post this information for those who may be intrigued by this, as I was, and it doesn't cost a thing so what's there to lose besides your face?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |