Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Question for Estheticians or if anyone knows this!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I went to a spa twice (Red Door Spa), at the end of my facial, the esthetician puts something on my face that I am sure is an oil. It makes my skin look shiny and it seems to moisturize very well. I noticed they do this for all the clients at the end of the facial session because everyone looks shiny and greasy on the face. I've only started doing spa treatments so I'm new to this, but I found that this oil or whatever it is was very moisturizing for my face and I want to find it and purchase it to continue moisturizing my skin, especially since my skin give me depression and is very awful, but this stuff seems to really help it, but I have no idea what it is! Does anyone know what estheticians use to make skin look so shiny at the end of a facial session? Anyone also possibly know what Red Door Spa estheticians use in particular or is probably the same thing many spas use?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Probably best if you call or ask next time you are there what they use. Many times the spas are happy to sell you the same products they use.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Years ago, I had one of my best facials at the Clarins Spa. At the end they applied Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil and my face simply glowed. This experience opened my eyes to the use of oils and now I use different oils on a daily basis. They all have very different effects so need to try ones suitable for your skin.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Everyplace will use something different since we all use different product lines. Unless it is a professional only product, they would be VERY happy to see it to you.

And during a facial, ask questions! What is this product, what does it do, what is that smell like.....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Usually those places try to hard sell you on all of their products so I'm surprised they didn't. Isn't the Red Door an Elizabeth Arden place? Check out their products to see if they have an oil or call their makeup counter at a dept. store and ask if they know.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the responses. I will try the Blue Orchid face treatment oil if I can find where to buy it!

Well, that's the issue is that I actually asked the esthetician last time I went and she said she couldn't tell me what it was!! I thought that was strange...But that's why I'm asking on here.
I'd love any other suggestions of what kinds of products spas use at the end of treatments to make faces glow and look moisturized that I could look into and try since I probably can't get the same one that my spa uses. Unless someone knows what Red Door spa uses and can tell me....
Thanks everyone!
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:25 am      Reply with quote
denisiel, do you mind giving me some other suggestions for oils you really like using? My skin is very very dry, has some pinkness I think from hyperpigmentation left over from bumps, enlarged pores and damages looking pores which all look like orange peel texture on my front cheeks and on forehead Tzone areas, and I have a lot of rough looking skin texture with tiny bumps all over the face that just don't seem to budge and disappear (it may be keratosis pilaris rubra faceii), I've had them for 2 years, but sometimes they sort of go down with moisture I think, but it's hard for me to find a moisturizer that works really well to moisturize all day...I think my skin is THAT dry. So when I went to the spa and they used this oil, I was impressed and it nourished my skin for two days after because I didn't wash it off, it was great.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
pokerlady888 wrote:
denisiel, do you mind giving me some other suggestions for oils you really like using? My skin is very very dry, has some pinkness I think from hyperpigmentation left over from bumps, enlarged pores and damages looking pores which all look like orange peel texture on my front cheeks and on forehead Tzone areas, and I have a lot of rough looking skin texture with tiny bumps all over the face that just don't seem to budge and disappear (it may be keratosis pilaris rubra faceii), I've had them for 2 years, but sometimes they sort of go down with moisture I think, but it's hard for me to find a moisturizer that works really well to moisturize all day...I think my skin is THAT dry. So when I went to the spa and they used this oil, I was impressed and it nourished my skin for two days after because I didn't wash it off, it was great.

Hi pokerlady888,

I also have very dry skin but it got worse with age and also use of Obagi. When I was in my 20s I had those small bumps under my cheeks but using glycolic acid and mandelic acid products purged those bumps and my skin is very smooth now. I never had acne or pimples but I think those bumps were clogged pores.

I have tried many oils and everyone's skin seems to react differently. What works for me is rosehip oil (I like the organic brand Trilogy) because it is very hydrating, has vitamin A to help with hyperpigmentation and absorbs quickly and helps push in your other skincare deeper. I also like Decleor oils, especially the Iris and Angelique, as well as their Balms. I find Decleor better than Clarins. Tried most of the Clarins oils until I discovered Decleor.

I have tried but didn't like jojoba and argan oils - found they had no effect on my skin and didn't absorb well.

For very dry skin, I follow the Japanese theory of skin care and use a serum, an emulsion lotion, then a rich moisturizer, and then maybe top off with an oil. It is a lot of products but it works. I am on Retin-A so I have to focus on moisturizing and calming the skin.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
pokerlady888 wrote:
[...]
Well, that's the issue is that I actually asked the esthetician last time I went and she said she couldn't tell me what it was!! I thought that was strange...But that's why I'm asking on here.
I'd love any other suggestions of what kinds of products spas use at the end of treatments to make faces glow and look moisturized that I could look into and try since I probably can't get the same one that my spa uses. Unless someone knows what Red Door spa uses and can tell me....
Thanks everyone!

That is ridiculous. What if you were allergic to the products? This is from their website:

Quote:

Red Door Spa - Products
All of our premium spa products are available at any of our Red Door Spa locations.
Source: http://www.reddoorspas.com/products

So perhaps you should call and ask to speak to a manager then ask him/her. Tell him/her you would like to maintain the results at home per their website so wondered what that product was. Or call a different location and ask them.

Then maybe visit that snob of an aesthetician and tell her the name of the product coz clearly she has no clue. Bad Grin
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
pokerlady888 wrote:
[...]
Thanks everyone!

That is ridiculous. What if you were allergic to the products? This is from their website:

Quote:

Red Door Spa - Products
All of our premium spa products are available at any of our Red Door Spa locations.
Source: http://www.reddoorspas.com/products

So perhaps you should call and ask to speak to a manager then ask him/her. Tell him/her you would like to maintain the results at home per their website so wondered what that product was. Or call a different location and ask them.

Then maybe visit that snob of an aesthetician and tell her the name of the product coz clearly she has no clue. Bad Grin
Laughing Laughing Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
pokerlady888 wrote:

Hi pokerlady888,

I also have very dry skin but it got worse with age and also use of Obagi. When I was in my 20s I had those small bumps under my cheeks but using glycolic acid and mandelic acid products purged those bumps and my skin is very smooth now. I never had acne or pimples but I think those bumps were clogged pores.

I have tried many oils and everyone's skin seems to react differently. What works for me is rosehip oil (I like the organic brand Trilogy) because it is very hydrating, has vitamin A to help with hyperpigmentation and absorbs quickly and helps push in your other skincare deeper. I also like Decleor oils, especially the Iris and Angelique, as well as their Balms. I find Decleor better than Clarins. Tried most of the Clarins oils until I discovered Decleor.

I have tried but didn't like jojoba and argan oils - found they had no effect on my skin and didn't absorb well.

For very dry skin, I follow the Japanese theory of skin care and use a serum, an emulsion lotion, then a rich moisturizer, and then maybe top off with an oil. It is a lot of products but it works. I am on Retin-A so I have to focus on moisturizing and calming the skin.

Thank you for your awesome response denisiel!

Wow, what you wrote is extremely helpful and informative. I feel clueless lol because I don't know much about these things. I really think you are on to something because I think that my bumps are clogged pores as well. Perhaps from a long time use of makeup? Did you wear a lot of make up in your 20's and teens that perhaps clogged your pores? I used to use this one makeup for years that is for covering big bad things like birthmarks etc so it's very thick, but I used to use it because it gave amazing coverage and the color was the most perfect I could find for my skin. But perhaps the coverage was too thick and too much that I was slowly clogging my skin. I'm not sure. Or maybe it was the bare minerals makeup I tried ironically 3 months prior to my skin turning into a nightmare 3 years ago when it all began. I had already started noticing some bumps on the sides of my face when I was using the bare minerals so maybe it could be the culprit of this long induced situation...

I will make sure to steer clear of Obagi! Isn't it crazy how one product can ruin the skin and cause a slew of problems? Wow, that is great that glycolic acid and mandelic helped purge the bumps. I have not tried either acid because I have a fear about them, but maybe I should suck it up and test spot. So far I have tried lactic acid as far as acids go, but maybe that isn't as great for the bumps as glycolic? Do you have any recommendations for products you might remember using to purge your bumps or that you think I could try that have glycolic acid and mandelic? I don't know where to start...a cleanser, a toner, or a cream with the acid in it?

Thank you very much for your recommendations in oils, I am going to pick something to give it a try.

I love this Japanese theory you mentioned. I'm a big believer in moisturizing a lot, but it's so hard to do now cause my skin is so tempermental. Do you mind posting what products you use exactly for your own routine as far as a serum, emulsifying lotion (by the way, what is that?), rich moisturizer and oil? Do you do this moisturizing morning and night? In the future, I would like to try retin a so I thought I'd also ask you when you put the retin a on and work it into your routine with all this moisturizing and products.

Thanks so much for your help and I apologize for all the questions. You are very knowledgeable! I'm just learning Smile
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hahahaha! Thanks Nonie! I loved your post, it made my day! That is so true that it says that on the website....so shouldn't that oil be in their spa store...? Ugh. I don't know why she wouldn't want to sell it to me then...maybe it's cheap? lol. But actually I remember she tried to sell me these products that are in this picture you posted. They definitely aren't the same as the ones she used since she was shady about the oil. She would have told me this is the products I used on you if that was the case to really sell them to me since I liked the oil. But yes, I agree that if I have allergies, it makes no sense why she wouldn't tell me what it is! Rolling Eyes I may take your advice and call to ask, I didn't even think of that. Thanks for your help!
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:02 am      Reply with quote
pokerlady888 wrote:
Do you have any recommendations for products you might remember using to purge your bumps or that you think I could try that have glycolic acid and mandelic? I don't know where to start...a cleanser, a toner, or a cream with the acid in it?

Do you mind posting what products you use exactly for your own routine as far as a serum, emulsifying lotion (by the way, what is that?), rich moisturizer and oil? Do you do this moisturizing morning and night? In the future, I would like to try retin a so I thought I'd also ask you when you put the retin a on and work it into your routine with all this moisturizing and products.

Hi pokerlady888,

Here's a brief intro to the Japanese way of skincare: http://www.ratzillacosme.com/2011/japanese-skincare-routine/

Re: whether I wore makeup in my 20s. Yes and I think my bumps had to do with wearing makeup, not understanding how to properly cleanse, and never exfoliating. Now my skin is completely smooth and that is from exfoliating and Retin-A.

My skincare is not so easy to list as I have several products in rotation for each step because I like to try new products but also want to have my tried and true products on a regular basis. So here are the products that I know work for my dry skin:

1. Shiseido Cleanser
2. SKII Facial Treatment Essence - this works for me but alot of people don't get results. Gentle exfoliation and nutrients.
3. Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Lotion: To balance ph and helps the next products absorb better. I also like Shiseido Nutri-Perfect Fortifying Softener.
4. Skinceuticals C & E Ferulic Serum: For added sun protection and as an antioxidant.
5. Serum: Either an anti-aging or a hydrating serum
6.Emulsifying Lotion such as one from Shiseido (they have many different types). Or I will use something with ceramides such as Cerave or Atopalm.
7. Moisturizer and/or oil: Something rich to seal all the above products in.
8. Physical sunscreen such as Biore Bright Face or Burnout Ocean Tested.

At night I cleanse with Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil, wash again with a cream cleanser, tone and then wait 20-30 minutes and apply Retin A. After waiting at least 20 minutes, I apply serum, moisturizer and then an oil or balm.

Retin-A already causes your skin to shed cells faster but still need to exfoliate to loosen the dead skin cells. Once a week or every other week, I'll use a glycolic acid product such as Paula's Choice Weekly Resist. Also like the Peter Thomas Roth Peel Pads and Dermalogica Powder. Use the Personal Microderm once a month. I used to exfoliate more frequently but find it too drying.

I should say that many of the products I use can probably be substituted by less expensive versions from Cerave, Olay Pro-X and Alpha-Hydroxy Cream.

Obagi works great for melasma, sun damage and rejuvenating skin. But it's a harsh system that takes months to get my skin back to a supple and line free look. Highly recommend Obagi if you have a lot of sun damage or marks.

This message board has a wealth of information and some of the posters are highly knowledgeable. Suggest you search the topics you are interested in and you will probably find good information. Good luck!

pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy Thank you for all your help!! I'm excited to look into some products and especially these skin care lines! I'm probaly ordering the Peter Thomas Roth pads today to see if glycolic acid can help with the bumps I have since you mentioned it was helpful for you.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I am a big fan of oils for face, hair, body and nails/cuticles.

Every facialist should tell you what products they are using.

Years ago, I had a Clarins facial at Sears. It was done at the back room. She was a trained esthetic that did very well in Clarins sales. It was a basic cleanse, exfoliate (gommage,) mask and moisturizer. Light makeup (at the counter) to finish. She told me all the products she used and gave me some samples.

IT WAS FREE. Of course, you do feel obligated to buy something. But she was not pushy.

Clarins has two oils. Lotus is for normal to oily skin. (Main ingredients is hazelnut. I loved this oil until I got wise with DIY). The other one is for dryer skin.

Edit: Blue Orchid is the second oil. Clarins is really good about samples.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Autumn! Both you and another poster have recommender Blue Orchid. I really like the ingredients and think it sounds like a nice oil, I may end up trying it. For right now, I received some samples from Sephora of another oil so I'm giving that a whirl. Then, I think I may do Blue Orchid.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 am      Reply with quote
denisiel, I just wanted to update that I got a sample of the Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle Peel Pads and used it last night. I expected tingling because when I've had lactic acid peels done, I feel tingling. I felt like my skin slightly wanted to tingle in two spots on my face, but it just never did and I didn't feel anything happening on the rest of my face. I even applied it for a good five minutes and kept layering on more of the liquid from the pad onto my skin. I only have now one more pad left to try this and I'm very much on the fence if I should purchase because all the reviews I read say there is a slight stinging, but I feel nothing. I could have left it on for an hour honestly or went to bed with it. I was surprised my skin didn't react to it at all... I think I left it on for 7 minutes cause I was waiting to feel something. Could this be normal or mean that glycolic is ineffective for me? I can't decide if I should purchase it and continually use to see if it does anything... I have used a lactic acid peel 15% at home twice and felt lots of stinging and tingling and had to wash it off 3 minutes in and then my skin seemed angry with me and pinker, but am surprised this 20% peel isn't doing anything. The girl at the store gave me a sample for PTR's Triple Acid Peel 40%. I will try that next. Now, I'm nervous about that one cause it sounds like a lot at 40%, but am very confused that the 20% was so ineffective.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
pokerlady888 wrote:
denisiel, I just wanted to update that I got a sample of the Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle Peel Pads and used it last night. I expected tingling because when I've had lactic acid peels done, I feel tingling. I felt like my skin slightly wanted to tingle in two spots on my face, but it just never did and I didn't feel anything happening on the rest of my face. I even applied it for a good five minutes and kept layering on more of the liquid from the pad onto my skin. I only have now one more pad left to try this and I'm very much on the fence if I should purchase because all the reviews I read say there is a slight stinging, but I feel nothing. I could have left it on for an hour honestly or went to bed with it. I was surprised my skin didn't react to it at all... I think I left it on for 7 minutes cause I was waiting to feel something. Could this be normal or mean that glycolic is ineffective for me? I can't decide if I should purchase it and continually use to see if it does anything... I have used a lactic acid peel 15% at home twice and felt lots of stinging and tingling and had to wash it off 3 minutes in and then my skin seemed angry with me and pinker, but am surprised this 20% peel isn't doing anything. The girl at the store gave me a sample for PTR's Triple Acid Peel 40%. I will try that next. Now, I'm nervous about that one cause it sounds like a lot at 40%, but am very confused that the 20% was so ineffective.

Hi pokerlady888,

The PTR Peel Pads are meant to be used on a more regular (even daily) basis so they seem to be more gentle and this is why I like them. If you prefer a weekly peel where your skin noticeably sloughs off, then the Paula's Choice Weekly Resist works well. My skin doesn't get dried out with the PTR but is smooth. Every so often for a deeper peel/exfoliation, I'll apply the PC or use the PMD but for a few days afterwards my skin will flake and peel.

Your skin could be less sensitive than mine. I am sure that because I use Vitamin C serum and Retin-A, my skin peels much more easily.

Good idea to keep trying different glycolic or salicylic acid products until you find the one that works for you.

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |