Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Virgin Coconut Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lagay
5% products discount

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:55 am      Reply with quote
So I was gifted a jar of virgin coconut oil and I want some advice how to use it! I hear that it is really good for dry skin, which I have (though it is acne prone Confused ) Any advice on how to use it? Would I apply after cleansing, similar to a moisturizer? And would it be to heavy for acne-prone skin?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I love coconut oil. It is great for my long, dry coarse textured hair. Great for body and hand/nails.

I am hesitate to use on my face. I have sensitive reactive skin. People do use it for makeup removal.

If you use it on your face; patch test well. I think patch testing is a good idea for anything new, anything that could be in doubt.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I use it all the time several times a day. I put it all over my face..hands..neck and chest..sometimes legs too.

It absorbs into the skin after a few minutes.

amazing stuff..good in the hair too.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use it on the face or in my hair but I use it everywhere else!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
I've only used virgin coconut oil on my hair. I apply to dry hair and cover with a plastic shower cap; let it sit for hours if I can. Then shampoo out. Note: in the summer it is usually liquid, in the winter with colder temps it hardens and needs to be softened in warm water. I usually dig out some chunks from my jar and sometimes they will become liquid with the heat from your hands.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if you were only interested in skin applications, but you can also cook with coconut oil. It works nicely in baked goods or to sauté.
lynnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I've used coconut oil for my skin (face etc.) for about a year. It does absorb quickly & does not seem to cause breakouts like some of the heavier oils.

I would wash your face, use toner, then serums if you use them and then moisturize with the CO. I also use it on top of a moisturizer to give my face a glow - it's great stuff & I eat it as well - it's an anti inflammatory and has been proven to help stop virus' etc.

born 1964, some raw & live foods - medium complexion - sinking eye area yet manage to still have bags, loose, sagging upper eyelids, 11s not as bad as my N/L & M/L, microneedling .5 & 1mm, led, massage, Vit C, A, CP very occasionally, HA, EES, DMAE, MATRIXYL
shaiz411

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking it might be a little too much for the face but I use it on the ends of my hair. Also it makes an amazing diy body scrub. Just a bit of coconut oil and some granulated sugar is the ultimate recipe for baby smooth skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 am      Reply with quote
lagay wrote:
So I was gifted a jar of virgin coconut oil and I want some advice how to use it! I hear that it is really good for dry skin, which I have (though it is acne prone Confused ) Any advice on how to use it? Would I apply after cleansing, similar to a moisturizer? And would it be to heavy for acne-prone skin?

Yes. I don't know about acne-prone skin but like LauraLizzie, I do not use it on my face; just my body. I find it to work better if I dry my skin before applying. Here's some info that you may find useful with regard to it being a moisturizer: http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm

I also cook with it, when I don't use rice bran or EVOO. Added to rice, it's delish! I just add it to the water in lieu of butter or oil with some cilantro (fresh or dried will do) when cooking and I end up with one very tasty rice dish. If you've ever made rice with coconut milk, then this rice is just as tasty.
lynnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
love it in rice too - I do the same thing - lime juice is a nice addition too - with basmati - can't get enough of it!

born 1964, some raw & live foods - medium complexion - sinking eye area yet manage to still have bags, loose, sagging upper eyelids, 11s not as bad as my N/L & M/L, microneedling .5 & 1mm, led, massage, Vit C, A, CP very occasionally, HA, EES, DMAE, MATRIXYL
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
lynnn wrote:
love it in rice too - I do the same thing - lime juice is a nice addition too - with basmati - can't get enough of it!

Oooh, lynnn, I've never tried lime juice in rice! I can't wait try! Thanks or the tip.
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Ilove thecoconut oil too. I use it every morning.But I don't use it on my face.
Elainakay
5% products discount

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use extra virgin organic coconut oil everyday, everywhere...haha. I wash my face with it daily,(massage it in, gently wipe off with moist cloth, love it) I put a tiny bit on my hair ends daily, I eat a teaspoon off the spoon daily, and I cook with it, roasted veggies is my fave with it or coconut oil chocolate. My boyfriend was getting dermatitis, it took that away after applying it nightly. It also works good for athletes foot or as an all over moisturizer. You can also use it for oil pulling which I have yet to try. I go through a lot of it. With alzheimers disease running in the family it apparently is effective for warding that off. It is my favorite product that I use, but must be extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil. Anything else is not the same. Big difference
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Do you just put in in the boiling water when cooking rice? how much for 2 people?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:22 am      Reply with quote
I usually put about 1+ tbsp. for 4 cups of rice but you can put more or less - whatever you like - once it's almost cooked I throw it in.

ElainaKay - did I see coconut oil chocolate? please explain! I'm the same as you - use it everywhere - my family makes fun of me because I'm always using it for everything.

I made cookies the other day with coconut flour, coconut oil & chocolate chips - my son was upset because I'm always trying to "health things up" - but he loved them! we will convert the non believers Laughing

Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Ah so you put in when cooked and not in the water. thanks

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
The oil is good for hair and eye lashes!
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've never been brave enough to use coconut oil on my face, but I use it on my lips, my elbows, feet & knees, then what's left on my hands I run through the ends of my hair. It is amazing! I'd be afraid to use it on my face though as I tend to have combo skin in my T zone. But I could see how people with dry skin could use it, especially in cold weather. And I love the smell!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I have dry skin so for me I have used it on my face. Its not my favourite oil as it is quite light in comparison to others that I use, but it does moisturize well. I have also used it on my hands. Be careful though as there are many different kinds out there - even though its labeled Virgin - I have tried several different versions which were all different in consistency etc.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't use it on acne prone skin. Eat it and buy something else for your skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
You can use it for every where on your body. It's great for your hair. And can make skin without dry. But if you are sensitive reactive skin be careful to use on face
jessica1000

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:16 am      Reply with quote
All you need to do is fill a sink a couple of inches deep with warm water. Set your Extra Virgin Coconut Oil container in the warm water and let it set for at least 3 minutes. When it has warmed, you will be able to pour the oil out of the jar. For sanitary reasons, it’s a good idea to have 2 different jars; one for cooking and one for topical use. Pour the liquid oil into your hands and apply liberally anywhere you want to moisturize your skin.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm not a big DIY-er, but I made an awesome sugar scrub using coconut oil. I just put a cup in the microwave for a few seconds & then stirred in some sugar. The sugar doesn't seem to dissolve which is good. When it starts to cool it will start to set up again. I use it before my shower on my knees & elbows. It makes the so smooth & soft! It's super easy to make!
Chengcheng

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know if you dye your hair or get highlights, but if you do... coconut oil protect the hair before dying or bleaching.
You heat it a little bit and apply it to the hair few hours before dying your hair. My mom always does this, and few of my classmates that bleach their hair to blond.
I made my hair Pink, i am a natural dark brunette and had to bleach my hair to almost White and after apply Pink dye. I did this coconut oil treatment following my classmates advice and my hair has not break at all and look quite health for a Pink hair.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 am      Reply with quote
where to start.. I use it for most everything... it tastes good, it isn't greasy on skin.

use it for your skin.. all over it absorbs after five to ten minutes

use it on your hair to add shine.

it has anti viral and antibiotic properties so many "oil pull" ..swishing in your mouth through your teeth for ten minutes..then spit out..

you can cook with it... studies show it helps burns fat.

I use it for minor injuries even rashes and scrapes. ...and used it just this week in my ears when the end of a nasty cold resulted in ear infections.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |