Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Repairing skin - exfoliating & reaction to moisturiser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Rightside

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I am looking for advise and reassurance after 6 weeks of not knowing whether I am doing the right things to repair a skin reaction I had.

Historically I have always had a simple skincare regime or cleanse and moisturiser - been using Aveda Hydrating range for some years. Occasional exfoliating, nothing harsh. I have never had a reaction to a facial product.

In January I purchased a new moisturising to give my self a 'treat' full of good stuff. 99% natural Barefoot SOS replenishing cream. I used an exfoliator particularly on my t-zone and started using the crea,

I felt some warmth across my nose and tops of cheeks and looked a bit flush over the next couple of days, I thought this was a healthy glow!

Then my pores stretched and redness remained distinct in this area, slightly puffy and around my mouth and chin the skin was very tight, dry and full of lines. I stopped the product (used for 4 days) and thought the skin must have dehydrated.

I used only calendula cream on my face, which then went through a phases of being shiny and almost leathery as well as dry on the outer areas of my cheek, it almost glistened like fine sandpaper.

My face was still burning quite a bit after a week, so I went to the doctor who said it wasnt too bad and it would settle in a few weeks. I contacted the manufacturer who couldnt help with any advice except for aloe, which I tried and it stung. She said she could only imagine the reaction might have been to the essential oils.

I have used essential oils - mainly in aroma massage for 20 years (?) I can only imagine the combination of exfoliating and this cream rich in oils and Vitamin A ingredients set my skin off. It includes retinyl palmitate, apricot kernal, argan oil, carrot seed oil, mandarin oil, sandalwood oil, rosehip oil, frankincense and geranium. All in very small amounts.

I continued with the calendula and things calmed, then one night, after a sunny day the heat in my face increased, this has happened when the central heating is on as well - so I guess my skin is now sensitive to temperature.

I purchased some unfragranced and pure products from pure nuff stuff, which I have not reacted too. For the first couple of weeks I reduced washing my face and just used calendula. Now I use a cleaser at night and moisturise night and morning.

My skin IS improving, looks more plump and hydrated in the mornings and the fine lines on my chin, around my mouth and folds of nose/cheek are lessened. The slight redness of the pores across my nose and cheeks is still there.

I think I am right in saying the skin barrier has been compromised and is out of balance. I have upped my water intake, essential oils and vitamin C.

I have read so much information online that I am confused as to whether I need to do more or be patient.

Looked at Cetaphil and CerAve to repair barrier etc but to be honest I am scared of using anything. I rarely take medicines or use chemical products and concerned I will make things worse.

I think my skin is now highly sensitised and need a sunscreen (Its March in the UK!) due to this sense of redness or warmth I am getting.

So, I am wondering if anyone can advise on:

* extra things I can do to help my skin
* how long it might take for the skin barrier to repair
* sunscreen that is 'safe'
* whether barrier repair products are advised
* any home remedies I can use - dilute vinegar? Yoghurt/honey Oatmeal?

I was fine with things improving until I realised my skin was still feeling warm on and off over this last weekend.

I will also add I have been under a lot of stress recently, hence my decision to pamper myself with new product - ironic.

I am anxious this situation will be ongoing and not quite sure what I am dealing with. It's not a hugely obvious reaction to others, but I just know my skin feels 'wrong'.

I am in the UK.

Many thanks Smile
Rightside

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Just adding that I think I am having a photosensitive reaction - the redness seems to come back when I go in the sunlight - even though it's not strong.

I have just ordered a sunscreen from Green People - do you think this reaction will be permanent? I have never experienced anything like this before.

My skin is not reacting everywhere on my face, just parts become hot and slightly stingy
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like you may have a sensitivity or allergy to some ingredient you are using. I think you are on the right track with finding a barrier repair product. Search EDS for barrier repair and you should find some recommendations.

I'd recommend a zinc based sunscreen. The zinc can be soothing. I'd avoid any chemical sunscreens.

It may take a few months for the skin barrier to recover. You'll have to go easy on cleansing. You may want to spot test any new products before using it on your full face.
Rightside

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
It sounds like you may have a sensitivity or allergy to some ingredient you are using. I think you are on the right track with finding a barrier repair product. Search EDS for barrier repair and you should find some recommendations.

I'd recommend a zinc based sunscreen. The zinc can be soothing. I'd avoid any chemical sunscreens.

It may take a few months for the skin barrier to recover. You'll have to go easy on cleansing. You may want to spot test any new products before using it on your full face.

Many thanks, I am certain it was something in the moisturiser. I stopped using it six weeks ago and had no idea barrier repair can take months and was getting worried. But it does seem that this is the main issue now. The skin is super sensitive. I think my regime prior to this was probably the best for me - now wondering why I went and complicated it! Wink

Thanks for the recommendation for suncream. I will do a search for a barrier repair cream, there are so many products out there Smile
lnb083
5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Rightside, this is almost exactly what I'm going through right now. You mentioned the onset of this involved essential oils although you had used them for a long time without problems. I had a similar issue. The onset of my problem happened when I was using a Dr. Bronner's liquid soap with lavender oil to cleanse, and apple cider vinegar as a toner. I was using a simple Jason Vitamin E cream and a very natural, soothing Zinc sunscreen. I'd been doing this routine without problems for months.

Then- out of the blue, my skin started to do almost exactly what you are describing. When I put on my moisturizer my skin would burn and turn red.I think that it was too much. Maybe essential oil AND apple cider vinegar was overkill?? Maybe my skin has totally different needs in the winter and I have no idea what they are!

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you. I do believe I compromised my skin's barrier as well. The CeraVe didn't work for me- it broke me out within a day. So, back to the drawing board I went. In the book Truth About Beauty, I read: "Phospholipids derived primarily from soy and egg yolks are the only substances that possess the ability to rebuild the hydrolipid barrier topically."
I purchased the Reviva Alpha Lipoic Acid/Vitamin C Ester/DMAE cream from my health food store because it was recommended in this book as providing "soy phospholipid liposome delivery." It was about $20.

So here is what I'm doing: Cleansing with a plain olive oil soap (Kiss My Face brand),rinsing with bottled water (i have hard water), using the Reviva cream, and using a zinc sunscreen during the day. A good zinc sunscreen should actually soothe the skin while protecting. I am also starting taking alpha lipoic acid as I hear this is wonderful for the skin and helps with damage, etc.

I'm still researching too... please do update us on your skin and I'll do the same. There are several recommendations in this book alone on things to repair the skin barrier.

ps. when all this started, I was under a ton of stress as well. I had also had several courses of antibiotics....I do feel there is a connection there!
Rightside

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am      Reply with quote
lnb083 wrote:

So here is what I'm doing: Cleansing with a plain olive oil soap (Kiss My Face brand),rinsing with bottled water (i have hard water), using the Reviva cream, and using a zinc sunscreen during the day. A good zinc sunscreen should actually soothe the skin while protecting. I am also starting taking alpha lipoic acid as I hear this is wonderful for the skin and helps with damage, etc.

I'm still researching too... please do update us on your skin and I'll do the same. There are several recommendations in this book alone on things to repair the skin barrier.

ps. when all this started, I was under a ton of stress as well. I had also had several courses of antibiotics....I do feel there is a connection there!

Good to hear I am not alone, sorry you are struggling with this as well.

Since I wrote I had a major reaction to sunshine, it wasn't even that hot (UK March) Admittedly it has been a grey, wet winter with little sunshine but I know this is my sensitive skin. It was like sunburn, in the evening areas on my neck and face were stinging and bright red, it only lasted about an hour at high intensity and then faded. The area on my nose where most of the post product issue happened became irritated again.

I freaked out and went back to the doctor, she seemed to think this sunburn sensation wasnt really an issue and gave me hydrocortizone for the nose area and told me to emolliate my face and we would treat it like dermatitis.

This didnt feel right for me, so I have not done it.

I realise my skin is reacting to other things as well, stress, changes in temperature, the sun and after I apply cream. It is definately a sensitive issue and I hope it will calm down and not spread Crying or Very sad

On the positive side, I feel confident that I have an understanding, basically my skin has freaked out and is out of whack and very sensitive. I think hormones are also playing a role.

I am sticking with the no fragrance simple cleanser and moisturiser that I have bought. From a company in the UK Pure nuff Stuff, only apricot kernel oil, shea, vitamin A. No added anything. Even though at times it is a bit stingy, I know it is not a reaction, it is a sensitivity (I am fairly certain).

The skin itself, where I over exfoliated and irritated it, is much better. The balance is not, it is still dry in some areas, stinging in others etc I believe this is an over sensitisation issue and I shall be attacking it from all angles Laughing

I had some accupuncture for relaxation the other evening and at the end I was not aware of my skin at all. I have been aware of it just not feeling right - this gives me a clue that my WHOLE system is wired and reactive.

So, I am sticking with gentle, I will avoid sunny days outside until I feel things calm. I dont really want to add sunscreen to the mix right now.

How are you getting on? Like you, I think stress is playing a roll and I sincerely hope I can reverse this reaction. I have never before had this kind of problem with my skin and the tone and texture has always been even.

Fairly stressed just typing about it Laughing
lnb083
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Rightside, has your skin calmed down since you last wrote? Have you had success with any product or routine? I would've declined the dermatologist's recommendation as well...since it didn't really deal with the root issue, and I would've been scared of making it worse.

A quick update on mine- what I thought was "sensitized" skin progressively turned into the worst acne I've ever experienced in all my 30 years! We are talking EVERY pore was black, there were small bumps under the surface of my entire face, large cystic ones here and there. It was the worst on my chin, and I started to suspect I had developed acne rosacea or sebborhoeic dermatitis.

I ended up ordering a soap called Face Doctor(which I used a few times as a teen), and I'm so glad I did. Within days of starting the soap, so much redness went away and almost all of the bumps went away. The chin area is taking a bit longer but it has also improved dramatically. I'm using only this and the Olay lotion for sensitive skin- just keeping things to the bare minimum.

I still am just in shock over my skin and trying to figure out what triggered the explosion. I too had been under alot of stress. One of my theories is that I had disturbed my gut flora by taking several antibiotics over the winter, leading to some kind of overgrowth... definitely will be stocking up on probiotics.

Any updates on your end?

ps. for the time being I am staying FAR away from any kind of oil!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |