Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Vitamin C - Patents and Stability - help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone! I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help! I'm still very uncertain with respect to the question of stability and vitamin C. Confused According to the scientist (Meisner) who created the Cellex C serum formulation, the following is true (according to her and what I think she said...), that: ascorbic acid is indeed inherently unstable - which is why, up until Meisner, no one had bothered to explore meaningful opportunities for topical therapy. In order for it to quote, work unquote, 2 other ingredients have to be incorporated into the formula, namely; tyrosine and zinc (and so the Cellex C patent is born...). With the Cellex C I've purchased I always get this flourescent coloured note informing me that the product WILL darken BUT that this will not disrupt the efficacy of the product when used as directed. Which begs the question, does this turning of colour (in the case of Cellex C) translate into corrupting oxidization?, - or does the patented formulation (ascorbic acid, zinc, tyrosine)cancel that out? Think If the darkening of colour destroys the ascorbic acid - then why do they say it does not - isn't that illegal? Liar I've noticed that Skinceuticals is missing the tyrosine....does this mean that the Skinceuticals' ascorbic acid is not optimally engineered and therefore not as effective? Do these "other" VCs need to look for other means of stabilization because they can't, by law, incorpate the Cellex C patented formula which protects the ascorbic acid? Any insights would be really appreciated...I wish I knew a bio-chemist Embarassed
Pudoodles
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C is just unstable period. However oxidation of the product apparently does not do anything to the efficacy. I have used it when it turned brown with no problems. On the other hand I have read that vitamin c starts to break down even as its being bottled! The most stable form of vitamin c at the moment is magnesium ascorbyl phosphate which is a more stable form of vitamin C. I've used both the Cellex C AND the Serious SKin Care product and I see the EXACT same results as I see with Cellex C. Having said all this, I really don't believe theres ANY one ingredient thats good for skin. How come there isn't a product WITH ALL THE GOOD ANTIOXIDANTS lumped together in one single bottle? Now wouldn't that be nice for us!!
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Ive just received my Vivier serums today, turns out they had been left with my next door neighbour, and they were in Benidorm this week, and despite having people there minding the house, I only got the box on their return today Mad Mad Anyway, on the leaflet it says that the colour may change and again it wont effect the product in any way. I cant wait to use it later, have also got the Vivier cleansing foamer. It does say results will appear in 3 to 5 months.......
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Wow SusieQ! the same results with Serious Skin?! I've only tried the C cleanser (which was lovely...) but never any of the other C products...that's amazing! Cindi -- well, at least you have your stuff now Smile. Didn't you order Cellcosmet eye cream? If so, then from what I've heard, that will more than make up for your rotten experience with the Okusil! I think I'm going to order that Cellcosmet trial kit - I can't stand it anymore!
Pudoodles
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pudoodles, I did order the cellcosmet eye cream which was very naughty of mr, but its been such a crap week, I thought, What the .... I hope it meets my expectations. One thing you can count on however is I'll be letting you all know. Laughing
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Check out psfskincare.com and see what they say about their Vit C serum being the L-absorbic acid being "locked in", etc. I'm using some of the other products (not for very long yet) and so far they are the nicest/best organic products I have used. I'm really really liking the eye cream.

I can't used the viver, cellularskinrx and serums with the butyl glycol as a base. I don't like the smell or the feel of that on my face. I had a problem with a cellex c one being dark orange with particles before I even opened it so I'm leary to go that route.

I may try the pure skin formulations one next time.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
"The Great Debate

Probably the most controversial issue is the L-ascorbic acid vs. vitamin C ester debate. There is no question that Vitamin C is a fairly unstable molecule. We already know it can be oxidized by exposure to air. However, Cellex-C remains active for at least 6 months once opened and states their color change does not affect product activity right on their label. And in fact, Dr. Pinnell published another study in The Journal of Cutaneous Aging & Cosmetic Dermatology in 1988/89 in which the stability of L-ascorbic acid exposed to air was challenged. Collagen synthesis continued at a rate of 95% a month after oxidation occurred. Once the un-ionized form of L-ascorbic acid has penetrated the skin (requires that vital pH of less than 3.5), it continues to maintain its stability and cannot be removed through normal daily functions such as washing, rubbing or towel drying. I have spoken with cosmetic chemists who believe that the vitamin C ester issue is mere marketing hype and personally I would agree"

from
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter201.asp

I just read this yesterday, it may not apply as it's basically talking about the c ester adn l ascrobic debate but it seems to really have more to do with the stability of l ascorbic.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Cindi, that's great you finally got your vit c serums! I can't wait to hear how they work for you! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
Check out psfskincare.com and see what they say about their Vit C serum being the L-absorbic acid being "locked in", etc. I'm using some of the other products (not for very long yet) and so far they are the nicest/best organic products I have used. I'm really really liking the eye cream.

Lily....

I'm trying psfskincare too and I really like them. I'm using the Green Tea Cleanser, the Daily moisturizer and the Eye serum. They have no scent at all and feel good on the skin. The product I was using before left my skin feeling very soft, but psfskincare leaves it feeling soft, but cleaner and well, just more "pure".

I'm really wanting to try their Vitamin C serum and the PhytoCranberry eye gel when it comes out.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
"The Great Debate

Probably the most controversial issue is the L-ascorbic acid vs. vitamin C ester debate. There is no question that Vitamin C is a fairly unstable molecule. We already know it can be oxidized by exposure to air. However, Cellex-C remains active for at least 6 months once opened and states their color change does not affect product activity right on their label. And in fact, Dr. Pinnell published another study in The Journal of Cutaneous Aging & Cosmetic Dermatology in 1988/89 in which the stability of L-ascorbic acid exposed to air was challenged. Collagen synthesis continued at a rate of 95% a month after oxidation occurred. Once the un-ionized form of L-ascorbic acid has penetrated the skin (requires that vital pH of less than 3.5), it continues to maintain its stability and cannot be removed through normal daily functions such as washing, rubbing or towel drying. I have spoken with cosmetic chemists who believe that the vitamin C ester issue is mere marketing hype and personally I would agree"

from
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter201.asp

I just read this yesterday, it may not apply as it's basically talking about the c ester adn l ascrobic debate but it seems to really have more to do with the stability of l ascorbic.

Found an article about L-ascorbic acid vs. Vitamin C-Ester (ascorbyl palmitate):
http://www.hsrmagazine.com/articles/261feat3.html

It states..."Vitamin C ester (ascorbyl palmitate) differs from vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in that it is fat-soluble and stays in a person's system for a longer period of time to combat more free radicals."

The article also mentioned about ALA and DMAE as co-factors of vitamin C that help with preventing wrinkles (as stated in Dr. Perricone's book).

The only one i found so far that has all 3 ingredients in high concentrate (with added antioxidants such as green tea and a more potent version of ALA which is R-ALA)is PureDeming Intense Gel R-ALA:

http://stores.ebay.com/PureDeming

http://www.puredeming.com/ingredients/
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
The HSR Supplements article quote about the Olympian Labs product with Vitamin C ester "Vitamin C ester (ascorbyl palmitate) differs from vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in that it is fat-soluble and stays in a person's system for a longer period of time to combat more free radicals."
is in reference to oral supplements. The article I quoted is in relation to topical vit c.

The Pure Deming products are topical, the Olympian Labs product with Vitamin C ester is an oral supplement.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Skinceuticals serum 15 and it does turn brown as well. According to SC reps,although it does turn color the stability is still good. I dont believe it has the same ingredients as Cellex C. The founders of both Cellex C and SC used to work together in some fashion (I forget the original story). But I think it has to do with who holds the original patent (both claim fame to it). I have my doubts about a Vit C product remaining effective after it has oxidized. What's a gal to do? Also I have read that Magnesiuum Ascorbyl Phosphate has to be converted in L-Ascorbic in the body thereby decreasing the effectiveness (lower percentage of Vit C being absorbed in the skin). Although MAP is very stable it has to be converted. I have yet to see a product with MAP at a high concentration. I also have read that L Ascorbic stays in your skin up to 3 days therefore there is not a need to apply everyday. Oh just to note, when I mention that, "I have read", this means on other boards where peer reviewed research was mentioned as a reference, think PubMed and the like. I am at a great loss as to what "product" or "version" is the most effective and stable. Rolling Eyes One person on another board even mentioned that there may be more harm then good applying oxidized Vit C to the skin. Shock Please if anyone can clarify or enlightment me I would appreciate it. I need to buy a new Vit C product and dont know which route to go. Those with silicones are definately out for me. This whole thing with Vit. C is mind boggling! Txs!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Lily & Judy:
I just came across your posts - thank you for the kind words. Wink I'm glad that you are liking the products.
Very Happy
-Darren

psfskincare.com
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Blimey Darren, first outing yourself as male and now as a producer! Do I have no secrets?

I also rate the psf eyecreame and mini me is loving the cleanser and will be reporting back soon!

Liz x

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! Laughing You kill me Guapa! Mabsy said that we have to put a signature if we talk about our product. I'll have to tell you a secret that nobody else knows so you feel special again. Hrmm...let me think....... Think
Hugs,
Darren
Mabsy

Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:00 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
LOL! Laughing You kill me Guapa! Mabsy said that we have to put a signature if we talk about our product. I'll have to tell you a secret that nobody else knows so you feel special again. Hrmm...let me think....... Think

Laughing C'mon, I'm sure you have another secret in your somewhere!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |