Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Downside of Antioxidants (antioxidant supplementation)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2014 3:54 am      Reply with quote
http://www.newsweek.com/downside-antioxidants-67031

This is a newsweek report from a few years ago, but I was only recently introduced to it. I'm pretty sure we never discussed it but the search function has been acting strange lately. So who knows, right? :P

Anyway, this offers a new perspective on the subject. I think it's a little over simplified, and they should have studied more exotic supplements. Vitamins A C and E are used for so many bodily functions that an overdose would have more widespread effects, positive or negative.

Idk. What do you guys think?
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2014 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I was fortunate to discover Adele Davis and her books on health in the early 70's. Because of her, I knew to avoid synthetic vitamin A, D, and E. They were harmful to the health. My family and I have always taken those antioxidants from natural sources. The only synthetic is ascorbic acid.
I had no problems conceiving my 6 children (mentioned in the newsweek link you gave).
I remember once forcing my kids into the children's Sunday school because this woman had brought her children who were infected with chicken pox. My kids had always stayed with the the congregation before.
NONE of my children got sick. I was really irritated, as I had wanted them to pick up immunity. I later on figured out that it was all their supplements that were preventing them from getting sick. That's the only negative that I found with taking antioxidants.
I have never bought multivitamins, except fish liver oil that naturally contains both D and A.
Of course I've always made everything from scratch, using whole foods. I believe that more people should do this.
Concerning human studies, unless the subjects are incarcerated for the whole length of the "study" and their food is identical, I can't see how scientific these studies can be. Especially since so many people take drugs, whether prescription or otherwise. All drugs have negative side-effects on health.
I also believe that if a person sits without standing every half hour or so, their lymphatic system won't drain.
I also add antioxidants to my DIY serums. I have excellent skin with almost no wrinkles.
For optimum health, one needs exercise, plenty of water, some raw food, vitamins and minerals, homemade food. Fresh air helps too. Just commonsense, really.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I recently read about possible negative effects of resveratrol supplementation. See the following article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130722071955.htm

The study:

Lasse Gliemann, Jakob Friis Schmidt, Jesper Olesen, Rasmus Sjørup Biensø, Sebastian Louis Peronard, Simon Udsen Grandjean, Stefan Peter Mortensen, Michael Nyberg, Jens Bangsbo, Henriette Pilegaard, and Ylva Hellsten. Resveratrol Blunts the Positive Effects of Exercise Training on Cardiovascular Health in Aged Men. JPHYSIOL, 2013/258061
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2014 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I keep up to date with the latest research from Life Extension Foundation. http://www.lef.org/index.htm?mkwid=sxeUONhYX&crid=39152773283&mp_kw=lef.org&mp_mt=e&gclid=CNGSxrr0z74CFYqFfgod1JAAbQ They usually debunk the mainstream media's scare stories and faulty research.
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 28, 2014 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I love the lef.org site ! I just now read about the flawed study of testosterone treatment which stated that it was linked to all sorts of diseases.
lef.org and other health oriented sites show us that just because a study is published and accepted, it doesn't mean that it's right or even scientific. There are so many so-called scientific studies conducted all over the world and too few analysts interested enough to verify whether they are flawed or not.
diamond44

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
This is something that many do not think about. I know so many that think that you can not have too much of these in the diet but I have to disagree.
System
Automatic Message
Fri May 17, 2024 4:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |